2011 Dodge Caliber engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Caliber:

2011 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Apr 242016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power while driving approximately 15 mph. The check engine and throttle body control warning indicators illuminated. The contact pulled over and manually restarted the vehicle. The failure recurred after 3 1/2 hours while driving approximately 55 mph. The vehicle was towed to the independent mechanic where the failure could not replicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 60,200. The VIN was not provided.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Jan 232016

I have had a problem with anti-lock brakes. I could not control my vehicle; my steering wheel was shaking, front wheel felt like it was buckling and I could not control my vehicle; almost got into an accident. I have brought this to the attention of the dealer and he told me thats the way the brakes are; terrible he said. This was done when it snowed. I do not like anti-lock brakes because of that reason; I drove a Chevy Malibu and when I applied the brake pedal, it didn't do what my car did. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just won't be able to drive in the snow, that sucks!!!!! when I'm driving on the highway I hear a moaning underneath the vehicle, the dealer didn't hear anything; probable didn't take it out for a ride.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Sep 042015

Driving to Massachusetts from nh...3 hour ride...just outside of springfield, MA on a very busy highway, the car suddenly deaccelerated, lost power, and dash warning lights came on. The car went from approx 75/80 mph down to 30mph and lower. I was in the middle of the third lane, and had to try to get over to the break down lane with a car full of kids. This is not safe, and several vehicles were swerving around me to avoid hitting me in the rear end. When trying to accelerate, I would put my foot to the floor on the gas pedal and nothing would happen. It was like it suddenly went into neutral. Very, very dangerous. Also, the shifting lever often shifts my car into manual operation instead of automatic without me even realizing it.

- Whitefield, NH, USA

Jan 312013

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after two attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed that the springs and front axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Jun 152015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. While driving at 45 mph, the check engine light and the electronic stability system light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fortworth, TX, USA

Apr 072015

The etc (electronic throttle control) light comes on more and more, causing the engine to lose power at low and high rpms. I had it checked and I get codes of U1407, (implausible engine torque request signal received) U1424, (implausible engine torque signal received) U1425.(implausible pedal position signal received). Rough idle occurs at start up. Etc light comes on at low and high rpms even after the car has been running for some time.

- Centerville, MN, USA

Nov 282014

Caliber 4-cyl

The car while traveling the engine will suddenly race and loose power and will stall. The only solution is to sop the car put in park and restart the engine. Highly dangerous on a crowed road or making turns. I have taken the car to three different dealerships and now the car is at james brown Dodge in tampa, fl and I am renting a car until they fix this car again. The car has been fixed by this dealer and two other dealership with no solution.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Nov 072014

This is the third time since I have had this car beginning in September 2014 with about 60K the car suddenly stalls making the car very difficult handle. I think the technician called is cvm module, or something similar, I was in North Carolina at the time since my grandmother was passed away. I paid them over an hundred dollars so that I could then take the car to a dealer near my home in tampa Florida. I then took the car to courtesy Dodge in October with the same problem and sudden stall in dangerous traffic conditions. I am in a chapter 13 and courtesy was very rude and slow about returning the car to me with another hundred dollars out of pocket. Friday Nov 7 I spent a terrifying trip of about twenty miles stalling and restarting the car and brought the car to jim brown dealership who was more friendly to my poor financial condition.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Caliber 4-cyl

As I was driving the vehicle it started to decelerated and would not regain power and then the ( etc ) light came on. With the pedal to the floor, I had to go up a hill to get it back to my car and my car just kept getting slower and slower to the point where I was afraid I was going to start drifting backwards down the hill even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor. If that hill was any bigger then I would have not made it over it. Went to the dealership in the morning and they said it was the throttle body, after replacing the throttle body had no more problems.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 162014

Every so often my car just loses power. I will be driving and then if just slows down its like I can floor the gas pedal and it goes no where. It seems to be happening more and more. This car has cost me so much money while paying for it and having to put it in the shop as much as I have. I haven't ever had a car where I was driving and the car just loses to power. I don't know what's going on with it but it seems whenever it gets checked they can't find anything wrong with it.

- Wimauma, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Caliber 4-cyl

Driver was going 70-75 and running A/C when oil overheat indicator came on and car automatically decreased speed to 30 mph. After sitting on side of freeway for appro. Hour to let cool down made it to destination. Took car to mechanic and no defect was found. After it happened twice more, was informed by dealer that this model of car sometimes has an issue that the oil overheats and trips sensor that forces car to slow and then stop. Can not be driven long at higher speed. According to mechanic there is no fix. Also had issue with A/C compressor.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 142014

Caliber 4-cyl

I was driving on a 45 mile per hour road and the engine completely died. I had to get over 2 lanes in order to exit into a bank driveway. Turn signal and it did not work and the "check engine" light never came on. I was able to pull into the driveway, out of traffic before the car completely stopped. After I settled down and called someone for help, he told me to turn off the air and try to restart the car. I did and then pulled it into a parking space, put it in park and revved the engine. I did not turn on the air-conditioning and drove right to a dealership and they test drove it.the incident did not repeat and the diagnostic test showed no failure.

- Huntington Woods, MI, USA

Jan 112014

When I first start my car, the engine will first rev past 2500 RPM; this is not normal as it revs around 1800 RPM. The car will vibrate, and the electronic throttle control light will come on (flashes when vibrates). After restarting the car, the light will go away. Between 35-45 mph, the car will either feel like or will go into a stall. The light will come on when the vehicle goes into a stall. The previous week, I took my car to the dealer to have the map sensor and the PCV hose replaced. A flash update was also performed; neither replacing the parts, nor the flash update fixed the problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 102013

Caliber 4-cyl

Just turned a corner, engine light came on, then stalled. Car would not restart. Had to wait about 15 minutes then car would start. Made it almost to destination and then stalled again... had to coast downhill to make it to my destination.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Feb 082011

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact was attempting a turn when the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred on five separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer however, they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the engine malfunction. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 12/21/12 updated 1/4/2013

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Jul 232012

Caliber 4-cyl

I thought the battery died as a result of a light being left on, but attempted to jump start the battery and would not start even after charging battery. It would not even make no noise trying to start it. Was in the process of having it towed to a dealership and driver was able to get it started. Then on 8/12/2012 was at gas station after getting gas and it would not start madeno noise while attempting to start it, finally started after removing and reinserting the power plug located under stealing column. Taking into dealership in morning hoping they figure it out.

- Alba, TX, USA