2011 Dodge Caliber engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Caliber:

2011 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Apr 242016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power while driving approximately 15 mph. The check engine and throttle body control warning indicators illuminated. The contact pulled over and manually restarted the vehicle. The failure recurred after 3 1/2 hours while driving approximately 55 mph. The vehicle was towed to the independent mechanic where the failure could not replicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 60,200. The VIN was not provided.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Jan 232016

Electronic throttle control failed 4 times, 2 times in hazardous situations. I.e. no throttle control on a high speed interstate. The unit was replaced at owners cost of $600. Please note NHTSA action number PE10012. Looks like Chrysler had the problem with 2007 Caliber and has not solved the problem yet.

- Brookline, MO, USA

Dec 272015

I have experienced my car suddenly decreasing speed to around 30 mph after the throttle body light comes on. The second time I was on the freeway, the other times were on the street. Once I turn off my car and restart it is fine, unfortunately this is occurring more frequently. I bought my car new, it is only 3 years old, this should not be happening. It only has 56,000 miles and gets serviced on a regular basis. It does not matter what time of day, if the heater is on or off, it just happens.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Sep 042015

Driving to Massachusetts from nh...3 hour ride...just outside of springfield, MA on a very busy highway, the car suddenly deaccelerated, lost power, and dash warning lights came on. The car went from approx 75/80 mph down to 30mph and lower. I was in the middle of the third lane, and had to try to get over to the break down lane with a car full of kids. This is not safe, and several vehicles were swerving around me to avoid hitting me in the rear end. When trying to accelerate, I would put my foot to the floor on the gas pedal and nothing would happen. It was like it suddenly went into neutral. Very, very dangerous. Also, the shifting lever often shifts my car into manual operation instead of automatic without me even realizing it.

- Whitefield, NH, USA

Apr 072015

The etc (electronic throttle control) light comes on more and more, causing the engine to lose power at low and high rpms. I had it checked and I get codes of U1407, (implausible engine torque request signal received) U1424, (implausible engine torque signal received) U1425.(implausible pedal position signal received). Rough idle occurs at start up. Etc light comes on at low and high rpms even after the car has been running for some time.

- Centerville, MN, USA

Oct 242014

Caliber 4-cyl

As I was driving the vehicle it started to decelerated and would not regain power and then the ( etc ) light came on. With the pedal to the floor, I had to go up a hill to get it back to my car and my car just kept getting slower and slower to the point where I was afraid I was going to start drifting backwards down the hill even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor. If that hill was any bigger then I would have not made it over it. Went to the dealership in the morning and they said it was the throttle body, after replacing the throttle body had no more problems.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 162014

Every so often my car just loses power. I will be driving and then if just slows down its like I can floor the gas pedal and it goes no where. It seems to be happening more and more. This car has cost me so much money while paying for it and having to put it in the shop as much as I have. I haven't ever had a car where I was driving and the car just loses to power. I don't know what's going on with it but it seems whenever it gets checked they can't find anything wrong with it.

- Wimauma, FL, USA

Apr 242014

I was driving on a highway going about 55-60mph when lights on my dash came on and my RPM dropped drastically. All of the sudden I could not accelerate and my car lost speed almost instantly. The first incident I was able to pull off the road to safety. This issue continued a few times after and finally it caused another vehicle to hit the rear bumper of my car. There was no damage or injury since we were at a slow speed but it could have been worse. I had my car to Dodge dealerships and they could not find the issue until recently when I took it and they said my throttle body was bad. I only have about 79,000 miles on the car and this is not a part that should, D go bad that fast.

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Jul 282014

Caliber 4-cyl

Etc light coming on with check engine light. Locks out gas pedal and leaves you coasting on the road hoping not to get hit. Just bought the vehicle and had to take it back to dealer immediately. They said parts (a sensor) was already ordered for it. Picked up 2 days later after repair and immediately done it again when driving out. Took back and dealer replaced computer. Picked up a week later and started again after 50 miles. Took back to dealer and they replaced gas pedal but did not resolve. Car I purchased is still at dealer after 3 weeks and although working with Chrysler engineers they do not know what is causing the issue. We were almost hit by other vehicles several times because you pull out on the road and suddenly have no gas pedal. This happens at random no matter what your speed, leaving you trying to get off the road and out of the way of other drivers hoping they don't hit you while car is steadily slowing due to no gas pedal input.

- Como, TX, USA

Sep 032013

Caliber 4-cyl

I have had this happen to me twice now. The first time back on 9-4-13 and again now 11-18-13. For some reason while driving it I will loose acceleration it won't go more than 5 miles when applying the gas. The first time I was a light getting ready to make a left hand turn. After my turn I notice the car would not go faster then 5 miles, even with the pedal to the floor. And again the other day, I got in it and backed up, put in drive and the same thing. The only way to correct the problem is to turn the car off and restart the car. Now dealership is saying again there is nothing wrong with it. Plus I have filed a complaint with Chrysler and not getting much from them. I do not feel safe in my own car, I have a child. This is a accident waiting to happen.

- Wixom, MI, USA