1999 Dodge Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Caravan:

1999 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments

Mar 092009

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Dodge Caravan. While the vehicle was parked and the engine was being warmed up, the passenger side air bag deployed without warning or an impact. Since then, the heater and power windows have stopped functioning. The cause of the failure has not been determined. The current and failure mileages were 150,000. Updated 10/06/09. Updated 10/08/09

- Newell, SD, USA

Jul 292008

Caravan

Our belts sips off during wet weather"five times we replaced the "S" belt and the tensioners, waterpump, overheating our 2nd yr of owership.now the 3rd yr of transmissions leaking, the ABS light came on while driving at 35mph w/children in car, starting to brake causing to slow way down in traffic and made a chime sound, the horn went off and it got hot fast causing the car to shut down. Thank god there was room to get over. All the lights were flickering all over the dashboard. The car just leaks everywhere, water, oil, trans. Something needs to be done about these cars. I cant even get mine smog because I have to keep unplugging my battery because now we have a short in the electrical system somewhere. I brought a lemon.....oh yeah! I called the dealer, they cant replace the cruise control unless the ABS light stays on. I hope I don't die cause the airbags wont work because I have a electrical shortage. 2 batteries were replaced, alternator too. The clockspring wont work for my car only the cruise control so said the dealer. I would feel bad selling this car to a family, cause what if they were killed. I couldn't deal with that. The day that happened was on my daughter 16th birthday. I had to stop everywhere all day to put water in the radiator just to keep it cool enough not to ruin her day. I hate hot days, I fear the rainy days, I cant see at night cause my headlights on the left side burned out and the covers has a glass over them.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Oct 212003

Caravan

Vehicle experienced an electrical defect. While raining interior lights failed. Also, there was a brake problem. While traveling 30-35 mph brakes were applied, pedal went straight to the floor, and vehicle hit another vehicle in front. Insurance co. Had vehicle towed so that they could inspect the defect.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Apr 042003

Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced the same defect with the clock spring as stated in recall number 02V 293 000 but the model year and vehicle identification number were not included. An electrical short started and was replaced per mechanic. The horn stopped working due to the air bag. The consumer was informed the same part malfunctioned in the 1996, 97, and 98 Dodge Caravan's.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 012002

Caravan

Seal around windshield is leaking, causing electrical shorts in vehicle. Dealer cannot remedy the problem. The water drops onto the computer control and causes all instruments to work irradically on the dash board. Consumer feels the main controls should be shielded from windshield leaks. Also, the headlights and tail lights went out.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Caravan

Vehicle was parked when it caught on fire due to electrical problems, claim 22-V529-255.

Caravan

Vehicle was parked in driveway when it caught on fire due to electrical problems, claim 22-V529-255.

- Jenkenstown, PA, USA