2.3

2005 Dodge Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Caravan:

2005 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Feb 052012

Caravan

My 2005 Dodge Caravan smelled strong gasoline odor in and out. When I took it to the mechanic he knew exactly what was wrong because he serviced 3 vans like mine with similar issue. When he lifted my van and started the gas started to pour. The fortunate part was that I am lucky that it didn't explode on me while driving. Here is the worst part, I called rancho Jeep Chrysler in san diego to order a new fuel pump, I was told that the parts is nationally back ordered and it will take 3 to a month waiting period and nowhere available as per parts technician. If it is back ordered nationally, will it constitute recall? this situation is a major safety violation just waiting a major explosion to occur. My van only has 50K miles in it and I bought it brand new and always service timely. I am hoping that the company will take some action immediately to prevent costly lawsuits. I am receiving all my receipts as a proof when something happen. I will be the first one to come forward. My second complain is the lock, it is very uncomfortable if you manually lock and unlock all doors. I have to pull out the iod fuse every time to reset, this is also a national issue because I found this from the blogs of other Dodge Caravan owners. My 3rd complain is why is my front brakes always shake no matter what I do to it. I replaced both rotors and pads 3X and still warping.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 052012

Caravan

My 2005 Dodge Caravan smelled strong gasoline odor in and out. When I took it to the mechanic he knew exactly what was wrong because he serviced 3 vans like mine with similar issue. When he lifted my van and started the gas started to pour. The fortunate part was that I am lucky that it didn't explode on me while driving. Here is the worst part, I called rancho Jeep chryler in san diego to order a new fuel pump, I was told that the parts is nationally back ordered and it will take 3 to a month waiting period and nowhere available as per parts technician. If it is back ordered nationally, will it constitute recall? this situation is a major safety violation just waiting a major explosion to occur. My van only have 50K miles in it and I bought it brand new and always service timely. I am hoping that the company will take some action immediately to prevent costly lawsuits. I am receiving all my receipts as a proof when something happen. I will be the first one to come forward. My second complain is the lock, it is very uncomfortable if you manually lock and unlock all doors. I have to pull out the iod fuse everytime to reset, this is also a national issue because I found this from the blogs of other Dodge Caravan owners. My 3rd complain is why are my front brakes always shakes no matter what I do to it. I replaced both rotors and pads.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 042012

Caravan 6-cyl

While driving home last night going down a country road doing 50 mph, my low beams went complete out and I almost wrecked my van. Once I got stopped and my heart returned to beating normal I found that only the high beams worked. I have since changed the relays around in the pms/fuse box under the hood, and the low beams still don't work. I had changed out both headlamps less then a year ago, so I am sure that the problem is not that both low beams went out on the lamps at the same time. I have read online that this problem has happened to many others owning this vehicle. This vehicle was purchased new from the dealer in July of 2005.

- Newbern, TN, USA

Jan 022012

Caravan 6-cyl

Reference NHTSA action number EA11010. This is the exact problem I am having with my 05 Caravan. Headlights turn off while driving on occasion, don't come on at all on other occasions. Highbeams work when the lever is pulled but do not stay on. Dealer wants $88 just to diagnose the problem, but based on NHTSA info, that won't help: "confirmed that the headlights fully extinguish, and remain extinguished, on an intermittent basis. In most cases this occurred while the vehicle was in motion" bought the van used and after this problem occurred a few times I searched the web and found many forums discussing this known issue.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Nov 112009

Caravan 6-cyl

The passenger side sliding door will not unlock using the key or the driver or passenger door's electric unlock button. The manual button on the door also will not unlock the door. I have not be able to open the door for over a month. I have seen suggestions on the web of taking out and then put back the iod fuse, but that did not work.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 012011

Caravan 6-cyl

The doors will not lock/unlock with the key automatically nor will the doors lock when driving as they normally do. The car "beeps" so you think the doors are locked but they are not. The first few times it occurred, we removed the fuse and reinserted. Eventually this "fix" worked only briefly. This failure is unsafe for personal safety and also for property in the car. This is a common problem with 2005 Dodge Caravan.

- Alva, FL, USA

Sep 282011

Caravan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the doors could not be locked automatically. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the door body control module. The mechanic replaced the door body control module twice but the failure was not corrected and the doors still could not be locked automatically. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,900 and the current mileage was 43,000. Updated 01/24/12 the consumer stated the BCM has been replaced three times. Update 01/27/12

- Aldan , PA, USA

Feb 142010

Caravan 6-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT power door locks fail to lock or unlock with the remote or door switch. The manual door lock is the only way to lock or unlock the doors. With there only being one key hole, this is a huge inconvenience and safety factor. What if you have several children and are trying to get everyone in the van and can only open the driver's door? this could pose a potentially dangerous situation as you're trying to get everyone inside the van, one of the kids could wander away, possibly into traffic. I'm sure you have heard all of this before because every 2005 Caravan owner I have talked to has this problem and more.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Oct 122011

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the automatic power door locks were inoperable and the contact would have to manually lock and unlock the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle would not respond to the keyless remote when attempting to lock or unlock the vehicle. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 153,122 and the current mileage is 153,600. Updated 11/16/11 updated 11/30/11

- Rushsylvanya, OH, USA

Oct 012011

Caravan

2005 Dodge Caravan. Consumer states ongoing problem with power door locks the dealer was unable to correct the problem.

- Willmar, MN, USA

Sep 272011

Caravan 6-cyl

My power locks stopped working about a month ago. They will work manually but will not operate with the remote or the power lock button. Tried disconnecting battery and then re-connecting, tried remedy in handbook (turning key in ignition 4 times on and off, without actually starting it, and then depressing the power lock switch) which worked for two days. This is a safety issue!!! the locks are designed to automatically lock when reaching speed of approximately 20 mph. It does not. This is a safety issue!! why doesn't Dodge admit to this problem and provide a free software upgrade! many people are experiencing the same problem. Google it, it's there plain as day! is Dodge hoping the problem will just go away by itself? this is a safety issue! fix it!

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Oct 252010

Caravan 6-cyl

Door/sliders lock would not operate by remote. Had to manually enter thru the back lift gate and unlock from inside.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 212011

Caravan

I was driving home and all of a sudden the headlights went out, I was able to get them on by manually using the high beams, but if I let go of the high beam shift, the lights went out. This happened about 10 times in 20 miles. It did it again yesterday on September 28, driving home and I am too scared to drive at night any more which is a problem as it is getting dark earlier. I was driving along and the headlights just went out. I could pull the high beams on which is an issue as I live in a small city but as soon as I let go of the high beam switch -- no lights. Also the high beams would go to low and back to high intermittently. I am so scared to drive my car.

- Boscawen, NH, USA

Aug 122011

Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that all of the gauges on the instrument panel in the vehicle became inoperative. The vehicle also stalled intermittently. The dealer diagnosed that the motor harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect, but denied any assistance with repairing the vehicle. The failure mileage was 99,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Pasadna, TX, USA

Aug 252011

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. While driving approximately 18 mph the contact noticed the automatic door lock failed and would not lock the doors automatically. The door fob also would not lock the doors when the lock button was engaged; however, the horn would blow. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact stated after disconnecting the iod fuse and later reconnecting it the automatic door lock function would activate. After two days, the automatic door lock would failed again. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 09/27/11 the consumer contacted the dealer and was informed there was no recall and therefore, he would have to pay for the repairs himself. Updated 10/31/11 updated 3/30/12

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Jul 152011

Caravan 6-cyl

2005 Dodge Caravan interior dashlights flickering, radio turns on and off, gas light bell rings when lights flicker, now today the van is cutting off while slowing down or at a stop.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Nov 012010

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the power door locks were defective. She was unable to unlock or lock the doors with the remote or the lock buttons inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who reprogrammed and reset the computer. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 95,000. Updated 08/31/2011

- Dexter, ME, USA

Apr 152011

Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact engaged the key control button to open the vehicle automatic doors but the doors would not open. The contact stated the front passenger side and the rear driver and passenger side automatic sliding doors were the automatic doors that had experienced the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four different times. The technicians replaced the actuators and reprogrammed the body control module. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was concerned because the prior repairs had remedied the problem for a short period of time. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

May 062011

Caravan

1. no events leading to failure; event appears to be random. 2. headlights will not turn on and/or will turn off while driving. Failure is random but mostly occurs just after startup. Consequences are obvious; have had several nighttime failures where crashing was narrowly avoided. Otherwise, just an aggravation upon startup. 3. headlight switch was replaced under warranty approximately 3 years ago. However, problem has been intermittent since then, with failures now occurring more often. Have heard anecdotal evidence FCM connector corrosion appears to be the culprit.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Oct 012010

Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact attempted to unlock the doors using the key fob but the doors would not respond. The contact was forced to use the keys manually to enter the vehicle. The contact stated that the key fob also would not lock the doors. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated whenever she would disconnect the battery for approximately ten minutes, the key fob would function normally for approximately two days. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 112,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wagram, NC, USA