1.6

2005 Dodge Caravan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Caravan:

2005 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments

Apr 242016

Caravan

Strong gas smell while driving and at stop. Lights turn on and off at will.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Sep 012016

Caravan

Fuel leak caused by cracks in fuel pump fittings

- Risco, MO, USA

Jul 192016

Caravan

Purchased used 2005 Dodge Caravan with 100000 miles and it was leaking fuel around the fuel pump, took it to merlins to have it checked out resulting in replacement of fuel pump modeule due to the fact it was cracked and had to be replaced.

- Lewistown, IL, USA

Feb 052016

Caravan

My van when I fill it up would runn so ruff and then would die trying to cross the street. Then it started smelling like gas when I filled it up.. then it started smelling like gas and trying to die when I filled it up. So as long as I dont fill it more than half way I was ok. My son finds out about this and makes me take the car in. They tell me it is the fuel pump, fuel tank and cannister. I ask how can it be all 3 ? go head and take it apart and make sure whats proken and fix it. They say its under recall and needs a new tank and cannister but pump is not included. Well if it pumps fine under half a tank and runs fine under half a tank then what going on. They replace everything cnly charge me 7.00 for labor but $397 for parts. A month later call me back to replace it all again. They never shower me the bad parts as requested.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 062011

Caravan

The vehicle has the strong smell of gasoline. When parked and being driven the gas fumes are strong. I changed the fuel tank, that did not fix the problem. If the windows are opened the fumes enter the cab. When open the door, I have to stand back and let the fumes dissipate before getting in. I cringe when a lit cigarette is thrown out ahead of me. Is this the time that I will go up in a blaze of glory" what has to happen to get this problem fixed"

- Aztec, NM, USA

Aug 032015

Caravan

Gasoline leak from fuel pump seal on top of gas tank or fuel line to fuel pump connection. Gas could be smelled from side and back of vehicle. It could easily cause fire. A recall seems to safe lives.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Caravan 4-cyl

I had this van 2005 Caravan for about 5 years and past year I had 3 issues, one of them is that my lights turned off right in the middle of highway and it was very scary, I fixed it by replacing the light switch and now is ok but it should be looked into because there is more incidents of that type on other Caravan as I can see, second is my airbag sensor light comes, stays, goes away and then comes back up as it wills, I did not fix it since I don't know how to but will try to get it done as a recall, third one is my fuel pump is leaking at a same point where I saw pictures and complaints by other owners so I would like just to add my own complaint, I will replace my fuel pump since I doubt I can get recall in near future but hopefully keep the receipt if it gets approved so I can try to get my money back, thank you for your consideration.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

Jul 282015

Caravan

Cracked fuel pump housing leaking fuel by exhaust system.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 032015

Caravan

Just filled up with fuel, started to pull in to traffic, engine stalled. Almost broadsided by a semi. Now every time I fill up, the engine stalls upon acceleration. Upon doing some checking I have found that I am not the only one with this problem, and that the problem is a faulty valve in the fuel tank. Somebody is going to die because of this all of a sudden hesitation. There are hundreds of these people having this same problem. How come no recall?

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Apr 012013

Caravan 6-cyl

Engine can stall out after filling the gas tank.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Jan 052015

Caravan 6-cyl

Began smelling gas fumes, got stronger and stronger and began leaking fuel. Crack in fuel pump. I began to hear that this is a trend with this 2005 model.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 042015

Caravan

After refueling the car will stall out, usually this happens after a few minutes of driving. Car typically restarts and there is no other incident until refueling again. This has happened more than a dozen times.

- Pawlet, VT, USA

Aug 132013

Caravan 6-cyl

If the van is really low on gas and I fill it up completely, when I leave the station, by the first or second time I stop or really slow down the van will die. It must be filled completely though. I have been a couple places to get it checked out but can't find a problem. I try and make it die on me now before leaving the parking lot.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

May 142009

Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that when she refueled to capacity, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the vapor lock may have been the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 136,000.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Dec 012012

Caravan

My 2005 Dodge Caravan has a strong gasoline odor. The car has completely stopped while driving twice now. Upon extensive online research this has been an ongoing problem with the Caravan from 1998 through 2004 with recalls. When looking online I've read many complaints from people still having this problem with the 2005. It seems that this problem is still not fixed. I hope that you will look into this. I'm now scared to drive my vehicle, afraid that it will die going down the highway causing an accident or catch fire.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Sep 042007

Caravan

Immediately after fueling my van will stall as I am driving. I looked on the internet and this problem is rampant with numerous Dodge vehicles of the same and varying types and concurrent years. I am wondering why they are not recalling them as this is a severe safety hazard?

- Middletown, NY, USA