7.9

1. replace pads & rotors (27 reports)
  2. replaced pads & turned rotors (4 reports)
  3. repair a warranty failure myself (3 reports)
  4. complete replacement of pads and rotors (2 reports)
  5. nickel anti-seize to prevent pad hangup (1 reports)
2008 Dodge Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caravan:

2008 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 042013

Caravan

I heard an occasional grinding noise while stopping. After a few tests, my local mechanic said I needed new brake pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear. Make sure you catch this one early.

- , Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Feb 232012

Caravan SE 3.3L

This is the second time I've had to replace the front and back brakes on my 2008 Caravan. I took it in at 10000 km to have the brakes looked at, but they said the brakes were fine. They went from being fine to being undriveable at 20000 km. I replaced the front brakes with lifetime warranty brakes and had the rotors machined. At 40000 km we had to do the back brakes. Now, at 85000 km we have to do the front and back brakes and replace the rotors completely. This is a $700 procedure as only the brake pads were covered under the lifetime warranty, not the rotors and labour. I already know that in another 20000 to 40000 km I'll be on the hook for it again because dodge won't recall this issue. And this is definitely a recall issue.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Jun 062011

Caravan SE 3.3L

My front rotors and pads have been replaced twice once at 16K miles, again at 35K. The rear brakes drag at seemingly radom times, however, mostly once heated up. After making a few stops the brake drag begins and then I feel the steering shutter from the front brakes pulsing. I don't experience the problems as much when I deactivate the ESP. So perhaps our problems are software or sensor component related??

I found this site while searching through thousands of caravan complaints. I'm looking for the real fix on the brake issue as pad, rotor and caliper replacements seem to make no difference permanently. So i'm asking if anyone has found the REAL problem perhaps the ABS wheel sensors, ESP system, TRACtion control system, master cylinder, brake booster, porportioning valves, caliper design flaw?, brake assist system? There must be a common factor.

Let me know your thoughts.

Update from Aug 16, 2012: I'm simply doing my own work at this point. I replaced the rear pads only even though the rotors are grooved. While making the change I removed the pins and used a nickel anti-seize to prevent the pads from hanging up. Also I made sure the tabs on the ends of the pads that slide in the caliper casting are coated with the anti seize. After that I have not experienced any rear rotor drag.

The front pads and rotors that were replaced with new oem parts have a wear pattern of 3 pads like new and the inside pad on the driver side wore to 3/16" of pad remaining!

So......if I swap all the rotors and pads with new replacements and use the anti seize...... perhaps they won't hang up??

In my opinion this problem has to do with the design. The anti seize will only work for so long until it will need to be reapplied.

- , Watertown, WI, USA

Sep 092011

Caravan SXT 3.8L

As with other Dodge Caravan. Dealer reported that front brakes worn out. I hardly noticed. They don't record the problems if covered under warranty. For example, when I use remote starter engine light is turned on. Alaso it doesn't work when I use in subzero temp. Compaint several times, they reset the light and report no problem. This is going on right after I bought the vehicle.

- , Milton, ON, Canada

Mar 112011

Caravan 4.0L V6

When I took the van in for grinding noise in March, at 60590 miles, I was told they could not reproduce the problem noise. They did report though that the front pads were at 30%. I had new pads and rotor rotation done at 52000 miles. AmI to believe that I used up 70% of the pads in just 8000 miles?!

These are my 3rd set of pads. Each of the first two sets were replaced at 26000 miles. The second replacement was comped and I got a reimbursement for the first since this problem is in an epidemic state. Why are the brakes so bad or why is the car wearing them so quickly?

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Apr 172011

Caravan LX

I just got this van at the end of Nov. and it has been the worst.. feels tinny and cheap. Already I am out 350.00 for new brakes! And it is still under warranty - lotta good that did me.

- , Mt. Horeb, WI, USA

Jan 242011

Caravan

Disgusting junk! I cant wait to get rid of this frigging, gas guzzling, brake eating box! Owned this for not even a year and the rear brakes are metal to metal. I am a single mom with my three boys and don't have money to be feeding chrysler.I have to buy milk instead!

Worst purchase I have ever made. Experienced the same with the Magnum, and traded it in and got this piece of turd! I am not paying for this, Chrysler will be.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Jul 152009

Caravan 3.3L

fixed brakes and rotors in july 2009 22000 km have the same trouble now nov 20 2010 at57000 km it will cost around 8 or 9 hundred to fix very troblesome and costly this is a big problem

- , Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada

Aug 132010

Caravan 3.2L V6

MY VEHICLE WAS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD AND THE FRONT AND BACK BRAKES WORE OUT AND ROTORS HAD TO BE REPLACED, I PAID FOR THIS BECAUSE MY DEALER WOULD NOT, HE MADE UP A STUPID EXCUSE, REAL POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I PHONED CHRYSLER CANADA AND THEY COVERED THE MOST OF THE COST AND COULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY THE BRAKES WORN OUT SO SOON.

2010 AUGUST 9 WENT TO DEALER BECAUSE OF BRAKES MAKING A NOISE. HAD TO HAVE THE BRAKES AND ROTORS REPLACED, COVERED BY A DEAL WITH CHRYSLER, VAN HAS 40000KM ON IT, THE DEALER SAID NO MORE WARRANTY TO COVER THIS AGAIN. EVERYBODY WHO OWNS A DODGE VAN CAN NOW EXPECT TO PAY $900.00 TO $1200 PER YEAR FOR NEW BRAKES AND ROTORS. THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THIS VAN AND A DANGER TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY. MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE TO LET THE GENERAL DODGE BUYING PUBLIC KNOW HOW COSTLY AND DANGERS THESE VAN ARE.

- , Fredericton, N.B, Canada

Oct 302010

Caravan

My wife and I purchased our new van at the end of 2007. It was our first new car we have ever had and probably my last. I will never buy another Dodge van again that's for sure. From the start we had problems with the auto sliding doors, got this fixed and it started back again, not that big of a deal. Well at 17000 miles my wife said her brakes were squealing. Well being the man I am I just figured she was overreacting and they had dust or dirt in them ( we live down a dirt road) Well two days later she pulled in the yard and had metal covering the front rims were the brakes were metal to metal! AT first I thought to myself, well she is just hard on brakes. She was leaving to go out of town that afternoon so instead of waiting around at the dealership I went and got pads and rotors and put them on, not hard to do , I did this for a living for 7 years before my current job. They lasted six thousand miles and I had to do it again! At this point I knew it was something with the car and not my wife. I am on the set number 5 on the front with 38000 miles showing! I have also had to put a set on the back at 260000. The last set didn't last 6000 miles. I can't get rid of it because I am way upside down on it, this is so frustrating, I am going up to the dealer I bought it from on Tuesday to see what they will do.

- , Orangeburg, SC, USA

Oct 102010

Caravan Stow And Go

Less then 50000 km 3 set of brake pads and all 4 rotors replaced......never again will we buy a dodge .Its a bit f*king st

- , Deer Lake, NL, Canada

Aug 112009

Caravan LX 3.2L

My brake pad wore out at 21000 mi took it to the dealer they said it was not covered under warenty So I baught the parts at auto zone and fixed it my self. They wore out again at 42000 miles. I did the same. and again at 65000 mi. This time they explained that the new roters I was buying are designed for the ceramic pads I am putting on and they shouldn't wear down so fast. So far so good. 80000 miles not showing much wear.

I'm told this problem is caused by Dodge using the rotors designed for asbestos pads with ceramic pads. sence asbestis has been outlawed. This has been a real pain in the ass for me I hope dodge does better in the future.

- , Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jul 242010

Caravan SE 3.3L

I am extremely pissed! I think this will be the 3rd time for changing our brakes since February when we purchased our vehicle!! 1.) We bought the parts to change our brakes the first time and brought it to a back yard mechanic when we noticed the vehicle brakes squealing. That was May 15th/10. We traveled up North to visit family the following weekend and on our way home (May 24th) the vehicle was emitting an acrid smell and the brakes weren't responding correctly. So we pulled over just outside of Sudbury and the right brake was smoking as it was sticking! We went to the nearest Dodge dealership. 2.) They told us the right rotor was screwed (it was white hot!) but it would get us home so we could deal with the person who put the brakes on and get him to replace it as they said it was an installation problem. So they replaced the front brakes and lubed the sliders and sent us on our way with another $254.49 gone outta our pockets. (we spent $96.75 on parts and $80.00 on labor the first time we replaced the brakes one week prior)

Once we got home we changed the rotor and lubed up the back brakes. Here we are 2mths later. Brakes sticking again. Same side, same smell. So obviously not a installation prob sounds like a warranty prob. So we call the dealership(s), not open, go figure. I will definitely do more in depth homework for the next vehicle we purchase.

- , Durham, Ontario, Canada

Jul 012010

Caravan 3.3L

It's crap. Dodge sucks. I have had this vehicle for 2 years and 5000 miles have been on one road trip. The rest of the time my wife drives the kids to school. That's it. And.......the brake pads need replacing as well as the rotors. Is this covered under warranty? Nope!!!! Bullshit.........period. The brake pads and rotors are too soft. The funniest thing is that all four brakes wear out evenly.......never heard of that before. I can't believe there is no recall. I will never buy a domestic piece of crap ever again. Anyone have any ideas????

- , Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jul 142010

Caravan

5 sets of brake pads, one set of rotors, two sets of wheel bearings and two sets of tires can't possibly by normal wear and tear. What a piece of crap this Dodge is! I will never recommend anyone to buy a Dodge again. I love the stow n go. But the vehicle itself is crap.

- , Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jun 012010

Caravan

Same problema as everyone else. 21000 miles less than 2 years old. Brake and rotor failure. Dealsership says this is normal wear and tear and will not help me with the issue. BOOOOO Dodge where's the recall?????. I bought this Dodge replacing my 10 year old 100,000 mile one. WIll never buy a Dodge again.

- , Moorpark, CA, USA

Aug 292009

Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

We bought a 2008 Dodge Caravan May 2009, so just over 1 year ago. We had to have new brakes and rotors install in August 2009, $1300 later after the install, oil change and other regular maintenance we walked out with empty wallets and very upset. This vehicle was an employee€™s vehicle we were told therefore assumed it was in tip top shape. Three months in and all this, now we need new brakes again. We were at the dealership for an oil change and brake inspection as per the 70,000km maintenance schedule and we were told the brakes are at 15%. Almost all of our driving is highway so why are we going through yet another set in just 9 months. Apparently the 2008's have issues with brakes we were told, of course we were never informed of that upon purchasing the vehicle! After all the research and blogging we did before purchasing that was the one thing thus far, that we did not read about. Our assumption of it being an employee vehicle therefore it would be in tip top shape was not realistic we were told it is considered a used vehicle and purchased as is. This is our very first time EVER buying a brand new or as close to new vehicle as we could. Our last two vehicles have been 6+ years old as we could never afford a newer one in the past. All our savings gone for this van, how disappointing! Like others have mention, do we continue or do we sell?!

- , Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Apr 092010

Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

We took the van in for noises coming from the brakes -- in my wildest imagination I would not have suspected that the front pads and rotors were already worn out. We have had the car for less than a year and only 15,900 miles -- a lot of them highway. We went to the dealer where we bought the car thinking that whatever the problem was it would be covered. No such luck. From the way the dealer acted they have seen this happen before and, but hope that "it would get to 25,000 before needing new brakes". We were NOT given the option (available to other Dodge vehicles serviced there) of the LIFETIME warranty on the new brakes and rotors. We walked out $400 dollars later with new "improved" front rotors and pads - with only a 12,000 mile warranty. Very disappointed. First time we have bought a new car and went American in a meaningless act of patriotism. I will probably have to learn how to replace the brakes myself or sell the car -- because this will likely be happening again soon.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 152009

Caravan SX 3.3L

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Caravan, 3.3L with the stow and go feature. I took it in to the mechanic at the Chrysler dealer because of obvious vibration on the front area of the wheels. I was informed that the brakes had received premature wear. I voiced my concern and frustration with this and the dealer agreed to absorb the labor costs and I would only have to buy the parts (pads). No problem! A year later, the rear brakes have begun to squeal badly and I will be bringing it again for service of the brakes, rear this time I'm sure. Dodge needs to take a serious look at the brake problem on these vehicles as it is a tremendous safety factor. Nothing more crucial than braking performance on any vehicle, and in my opinion Dodge has not been very good in this area. The brakes are a piece of junk. I will be getting my brakes done away from the dealer. As a matter of fact, anything outside the powertrain (warranty), it's going to another mechanic and will be equipped with decent brakes. Shame on you Dodge.

- , Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Apr 152010

Caravan SXT 4.0L

This is my 4th set of brake pads on my caravan on the front and the second set on the back. I have had the rotors machined as well. I only have 32K non stop and go mileage. This is ridiculous. The mechanic at Chrysler said they are aware of the problem but there is no recall. If this continues I am going to return my car. I have a 13 year old car that only has had a couple of brake pad replacements and it has 175K. This is not a cheap repair. Do the right thing Chrysler and have a recall and get this fixed. This stinks!

- , Lake Villa, IL, USA