2008 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Charger:

2008 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Jul 012016

2008 Dodge Charger. Consumer writes in regards to parts not available to repair transmission/gear switch recall or wireless ignition node module recall notices.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 102016

The shifter will not come out of park after starting and will not release the key.

- Glenwood, IL, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags). The part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact stated that the steering column and gear shifter locked several times. The failure was progressing randomly. The dealer stated that the parts were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available. MA 10/26/2015

- Clark, NJ, USA

Jun 082015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 35 mph, the esp and ABS warning lights illuminated. Also, when the speed reached above 35 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the gear shift switched gears independently without the brake pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wireless ignition node needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 082014

Charger 8-cyl

I was accelerating up an entrance ramp to the freeway when the vehicle died, causing loss of power. I coasted to side of road and restarted car. This has happened more than once, but is intermittent. I have noticed no common similarities, it is as if the ignition shuts off.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 272013

Charger 6-cyl

2008 Dodge Charger. Vehicle was involved in car accident due to recall. Consumer requests assistance. Consumer sent additional correspondence. Updated 02/23/15.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 052014

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn and the vehicle stalled with no warning. The contact stated that previously, the fan and radiator failed to work due to an electrical short and the components caught on fire. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who replaced the radiator and the fan. The contact indicated that months later, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that burning fumes emitted into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the wires, starter and ignition switch were on fire. The contact was able to merge the vehicle over and it was towed to a dealer. The technician replaced the ignition switch and the failure recurred intermittently. The contact was included but was not notified of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V567000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was not available. The vehicle was not. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available. Updated 03/24/15 the consumer stated the vehicle would jerk. When the vehicle was purchased the dash was not attached completely. The 2 back tires had a slow leak. Updated 10/19/2015

- Columbus, GA, USA

Nov 142014

Charger 6-cyl

On my way to the gas station to fill up my tank, when I arrive I put my car in park and as I'm about to step out the car rolls back, I'm thinking maybe I put it in reverse by accident but no it was in park but it got stuck in reverse my car has almost 80K miles on it 2008 Dodge Charger. This incident almost made me hit the car behind me because it rolled back luckily for emergency brakes it didn't. had to have my car towed the tow truck driver knew how to put it back in park so he did as I called the dealership they said no recall for my transmission not for my car, you would think since the recall is about the transmission linkage becoming loose or something and startling the driver and can result in a crash it would be covered but nope these dealerships never want to help you, just createmore problems. What happens if I didn't get out the car, slow and it rolled back and hit the car until this day my car is stillwhere the tow truck parked it.

- Davie, FL, USA

Aug 052013

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the shifter seized. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure recurred. The dealer informed the contact that the part was not available for NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Jul 192014

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving and stop to get few things from store, left car running and notice wired noise like something hit the car, I walk out and check for visual damage and notice antifreeze leak out. Got home and find out that driver side radiator fan blade are separated and make a holes on radiator. I don't understand how this can happen.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Jul 042014

Charger 6-cyl

We just purchased a 2008 Dodge Charger and we were driving and the car started shaking extremely bad and idle rough and started loosing power. We also have had a lot of problems with the ac and also the dash buckle above the radio.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Dec 012013

I turned on the car and the electronic throttle control light was on. It did not turn off and continued to be on until I turned off the car and turned it back on. And as soon as you turn it back on the RPM's on the car touch 3000. The company claims that there is no way to solve the problem, I have looked on forums and found no solution. This is a major defect within the product.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Dec 082011

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the transmission shifted into first gear independently. The failure recurred frequently and often, it would stall without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000 and the current mileage was 111,465.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jul 012011

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger, which has had several electrical problems to occur since I purchased the vehicle in Aug., 2008. 2 of the problems could have caused serious injury if I had wrecked when the sterring wheel locked or just the other day the fan blade motors locked up and bursted my radiaotr. This vehicle is too new to have so many defects, especiall linking to electrical matters that are not recognized by the power-train warranty, which I feel should have all been covered the the warranty. After reading, I wish this was brought to my attention before making the decision on this Dodge vehicle. The car has several years before being paid off, but I am now terrified to continue driving this vehicle knowing anything, unplainable can happen at anytime. Something needs to be done about Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep for putting people's lives in danger.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 012010

After receiving recall 08V583000 involving police vehicles with steering column mounted shifter on 11/18/2008, vehicle repeatedly has problems engaging gears. Officers driving this vehicle place the shifter into drive and learn that it has not engaged and is instead in neutral. It often startles the officers, who are focused on making rapid shift changes in order to pursue violators or negotiate terrain. Officers find that they often need to push the steering column shifter toward the dash to properly engage the appropriate gear, causing a lapse in driving skills and a loss of Focus on vehicle operation. The latest failure occured in the middle of a crowded intersection as the patrol officer was attempting to pursue a violator. Vehicle showed it was in reverse when it was between reverse and neutral. Shifting to drive, it remained between neutral and drive until the officer could correctly engage the appropriate gear.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 172008

2008 Dodge Charger SE plus 3.5ho shortly after purchasing this vehicle I noticed a very bad shake/shudder/stutter when the vehicle was shifting, mainly from first to second gear, which results in power loss. I have taken it to various dealerships numerous times. One dealership told me that they could not duplicate the symptom, and that it was performing as designed. Another dealership stated that they know exactly what I am taking about, but that Dodge had not come up with a fix for it yet, and they did not know when they would. I see this as a safety issue, and this should be corrected asap.

- Waleska, GA, USA

Apr 212009

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger with 15,500 miles with in that same week I have had my car at gary mathews motors Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler 3 times and I've been talking to ryan L. brown I took the car in for the first time on 4-21-09 they had it for less than one day and said it was fixed that the computer chip failed and they reprogrammed the power train control module. I had the car for one day and I had to take it in again on Wednesday 4-23-09 and they had to tow my car it wasn't drive able this time they said the same code was coming up but they replaced the trans solenoid and performed a diagnostic also rnr valve body they then said they fixed the car and it was good to go the I had the car for a couple more day and it broke down again it went back in on Saturday 4-26-09 and today is Friday 5-1-09 and they replaced the power train control modular on Tuesday 4-28-09 and they said the same code is still coming up and they have to replace more parts since the 28 or April they haven't contacted me so I called the Chrysler company to launch a complaint and spoke with eric smith I told him what was going on and he said he would call gary mathews and find out what was going on and call back after about an hour I called them back and spoke with jack williams he said they called and we didn't answer but my phone never rang and then jack told me the same thing the guy at gary mathews was all ready telling me about my car so I got up set because I called Chrysler to get some thing done because I bought a new car it's 1 year old and I can't drive it and no one knows how to fix it so I asked to file for a lemon law he said he did so and gave me a reference number of 18546683 then I asked him what else can I do and he told me that I should give it a couple of days I don't know what to do I bought a new car its broke down and no one can fix it can you help also even if they do fix it they have replaced so many major parts its the car safety I don't trust that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Woodlawn, TN, USA

Aug 092008

I purchased this car on August 4 2008. Initially, when I test drove the vehicle, the car would mildly vibrate on a complete stop. I told the sales representative about the problem and we both agreed it might have been a minor issue. He stated the problem will be corrected prior to purchasing the vehicle. I did not think nothing of the issue. The day I purchased the vehicle the sales representative stated that the problem was corrected through the maintenance department. One week later, the check engine lighted up on a Saturday morning prior to me going to work. I drove to work with the light on with no others problems. After arriving at work, I called the dealership requesting a appointment at earliest Tuesday morning. On that Tuesday morning, the maintenance representative suggested that the engine sensor revealed " flex plate" also that I should leave the vehicle with him for arrival of the part the following day. I agreed and waited for two days. On Friday morning, August 15 2008, I picked up my vehicle under the assumption everything was okay. After signing the maintenance invoice, I noticed the technical name of the problem was a "flywheel." I felt a little misled. Later, that afternoon, the check engine flickered on and off for a few minutes and the vehicle started vibrating very hard when stopping or slowing down.

- Frederick, MD, USA