2008 Dodge Charger miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Charger:

2008 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 152016

Chrysler has issued a recall regard the ignition switch which includes a list of their vehicles including the 2008 Dodge Charger, which I drive. The recall states: Chrysler says ignitions keys on certain vehicles may not fully return to the "on" position after they are turned to start the engine. Instead, the key ends up between the "on" and "start" position. In that case, the windshield defroster and windshield wipers won't work. The greater danger, which Chrysler calls "less probable, " is that the key moves to the "accessory" or "off" position. If that happens, the car's engine will turn off, it will lose power steering and the air bags won't deploy. I am experienced this problem while driving my vehicle which prompted me to see if there was a recall. I reached out to Chrysler and questioned why I received recall a recall notification for the airbags but not for the ignition. I was advised that my VIN is not on the list for the ignition concerns. The Chrysler agent advised me that my VIN # was not on the list for the ignition problem. I advised the agent that I am experiencing the issues outlined in the recall. She advised that it was nothing Chrysler can do until my VIN number is added to the recall list. I asked if there was an escalation process, since driving with a faulty ignition is extremely dangerous. She advised me that there was not a process to escalate my concerns even though I provided her with my VIN number and she could clearly see that it was for a 2008 Dodge Charger sedan. Please assist in the resolution of the ignition switch concern.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 292016

I made an appointment at mall of Georgia Chrysler Dodge Jeep on 7/29/16 to have NHTSA recall number 14V-567 fixed on my car. The dealership refused to fix it since it is a former police car. I called Chrysler and they said it would still be eligible. I had Chrysler call the dealership to let them know and they still refused to fix the recall. I then went to hayes Chrysler in gainesville ga and they fixed it.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Dec 062014

Takata recall: Dealership has not replaced the airbag or fobik recall parts. 1st initial contact made with dealer in December 6, 2014 regarding fobik replacement. Airbag recall contact made approximately September 2015. Dealer said they were ordering parts and would contact me. They give me the run around every time I call them.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Sep 092015

Hi my name is edward simmons, I own a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. September 9, 2015 my ignition failed on me and my car stop. The day before I had got a letter stating that fca had a recall on my make and year. Had to get my car towed to South Chicago Dodge located in Chicago, il. I been calling everyday to get a update from my techican gorge. He stated to me that my car may take weeks or months to get fix. I need to know what I suppose to do about transaction back and forth to work. I can not be without my car for weeks or months, I will lose my job!!!!!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 042015

All the electrical from the car went out including lights, radio, odometer lights, headlights turn off, electrical windows were not working. Then made the car go as far as 100 ft. When it shut down completly. I got off the car and popped the hood and the fuse box was on fire I called the fire department and they took fire out from the hood and the trunk and deterimined that the there was a shortage in the battery and there was battery acid all in back of the trunk.

- Clewiston , FL, USA

Mar 182015

In November of 2014 I received a recall for P57 which is the wireless ignition node module stating that the parts were not currently available and I would be notified as soon as they became available. I received another notice in February of 2015 at which time I contacted my local Dodge dealer and was told there were currently no parts available to fix the issue. Sometime during the middle of March I was turning right onto a 5 line highway when I lost all power to my vehicle. As I tried to get off the road and out of traffic the power restored on it's own. This same power lost has occurred once more since March. I have continued to check with my local dealer but no parts are still available. For the past 3 weeks I have had significant trouble getting the vehicle to start. When I place the key in the start position it will do nothing except turn on the warning lights. After attempting this several times it will eventually start but then will sometimes just shut back off. I am very concerned about being on a busy interstate and losing power which takes all of the vehicle control. On August 26, 2015, I once again contacted my local dealer and was once again told me there were no parts available. I was given the number OF1-800-992-1997 to contact. After spending 51 minutes on the phone with a gentleman named alex I was basically told that unless the car was broken down or I was involved in an accident there was nothing they could do, but if I did become involved in an accident because of the malfunction I could contact them back and they would try and assist me better. I suppose that if I get killed in a traffic accident caused by the issue that isn't being fixed, then that is one less car they have to repair.

- Marion, NC, USA

Aug 222015

Started 08 Charger with no problem drove for about 15 minutes, stopped at gas station turned off car took key out for about five minutes. Put key in ignition and it would not turn, couldn't shift out of gear. Tried for ten minutes before calling a tow. Driver tried to turn key with no luck. After telling me he probably couldn't get it on the flatbed without possibly messing up the trans he went in the trunk disconnected the battery for a minute. Tried again car started. This problem needs to be addressed called Chrysler about keyfob recall earlier they said it wasn't one on my particular vehicle

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Aug 052015

Car has been down and at a dealership for 18 days (8/5/15). Dealer claims they cant get a part on a recall. Dealer doesn't seem too concerned about performing the repairs in a reasonable time.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jul 172014

On 7/17/2015 my car did not start while making a stop on my 3 hour drive to my vacation in carmel ca. After many tries, my car started. From there the care went downhill and started only rarely. My father who has a mechanic background diagnosed the issue as the win ignition switch which was recalled in September 2014. Over the 4 day vacation I left my car idle and didn't drive it. On the last day of the trip I got my car to start. When turning the key/fob nothing happens. No cranking, no electricity, it is as if I didn't even put the key in the ignition at all. Sometimes after a hundred tries the car won't do anything and then suddenly the car will turn on. I drove the car directly to the redwood city ca Dodge dealership auto repair (#605-529-1927). They diagnosed the problem as the win ignition switch as well and attempted to order the part from "mopar parts." Mopar parts stated that the new ignition switch, part number cbttp57caa is not available until 8/28/2015. In the interim, they will not release the old ignition switch as a temporary fix. The car is not drivable as it rarely starts. It has been sitting idle at the Dodge dealership. 24 days have passed in which I have not had a car. I have had to get rides to work. I had to rent a car for 4 days which was a cost to me of $200. The part will not be orderable until 8/28 (ridiculous since the recall was 9/2014) which likely means 3 more weeks of no car. I have been offered no rental car free of charge in the interim. I do not have a back up car and will have to incur additional rental car expenses. I attempted to call the vehicle safety hotline multiple times and have been placed on hold for a long duration. I think at a minimum the ignition switch should be released to me and fixed free of charge. If this cannot be done, I think a rental car should be issued to me for the remaining duration of the wait period.

- Woodside, CA, USA

Jul 082015

On July 8.2015 at 2pm while driving my 08 Charger I started to see smoke, coming from under the hood, also noticed the tempgage, in the red, pulled over and shut off engine, I let it cool down, for several hours, w not start, had to have my Charger towed to shop! contacted Dodge!

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 062015

We received a safety recall months ago for the ignition switch in this vehicle. It said Chrysler intended to repair the vehicle free of charge, however the part was not currently available. As I said that was months ago. We are having trouble with the ignition switch. I called my dealer who indicated that I could bring it in for a diagnostic and repair, but I would have to pay for it and when Chrysler decided they would reimburse us. If this is a safety issue and there is a recall notice, and we are having problems with the ignition switch, shouldn't they be replacing the ignition switch at their cost as indicated in the recall notice? we have been waiting months as it is to have this recall fixed.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 012014

When driving the car it will turn off. There is a recall for the last year and they still have not fixed the car, say there is no parts to fix it yet. One year of car turning off when we drive it, is not acceptable!!! now there is a air bag recall, same thing they don't have parts to fix the car. What do we do to get them to get these recalls fixed?

- Dillon, MT, USA

Jul 302014

Started slowing down for a red light, when the ignition turned off by its self resulting with no power steering, no power brakes, no electrical and the motor turned off !!!!!! besides this ive had problems starting the car for 9 months + due to the ignition!!!!! the ignition has turned its self off 1 other time before. I havnt been able to drive my car because of these problems and its a huge safety concern for me and my family!!!!! ive contacted Dodge 3 different times about this issue with no help of getting this resolved!!! please help!!! thank you....

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 232015

On the above date and time I noticed a leak coming from under the hood of my car, I checked the radiator fluid container and it was bone dry. I took it to my mechanic he removed the cooling fan and it just fell apart. He showed me where a part of the fan punctured my radiator, therefore I had to buy another radiator and fan blade. I called the dealer about a possible recall on this but he said my particular vehicle was not on the list. Some Dodge Chargers are taken care of but not mine, why?

- Columbus , GA, USA

Jul 152015

For several months my vehicle has failed to start intially, I recieved a recall notice for the ignition switch late last year 2014. I was told after many phone calls to dealerships there would be an update and the parts were not in to complete the repair. I have been stranded several times due to this issue sometimes for 20 minutes at a time. This past Wednesday as I drove home from work on a very high speed expressway, my vehicle shut off completely. It restarted on it's own once and then all systems shut down, leaving me coasting in rush hour traffic. I was able to pull over and allow the vehicle to roll to a stop safely. I called my roadside service and was towed to the nearest dealership. The next day I was told by the dealer that it was not the "recall" issue that caused this but a short in a wire that caused the alternator to fail completely. I was told that I would be charged for the repair, and subsequently my warranty would cover the repair except my $200 deductible. Being that this is my only means of transportation I authorized it. The repair was done and my vehicle was returned to me on Friday Jul 17, 2015. Upon return the service tech noticed that my engine light was still on, and advised me to go get my battery checked as it had been drained. I did this and found the battery to be in "good" condition. Sunday Jul 19, 2015 on a quick trip to the store, I was greeted again with a "failure to start" issue. This left myself and my child in a stranded state until a friend could arrived to give me a jump. After paying to have my car repaired and promised the recall issue would not cause me to be stranded, I am very frustrated and fearful that my vehicle is too dangerous to drive. I do not have another vehicle to get to and from work. I need a resolution to this problem asap.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 142014

I currently have 2 open recalls for air bag and ignition, my problem is there are no parts available to repair the vehicle. One of these recalls is quite old in my opinion. Is there anything that can be done to speed up the manufacturers repairing these problems?

- Albert Lea, MN, USA

Jun 122015

This is the second time my cooling system fan has broken the plastic pieces broke off and went into my radiator and broken fan belt causing my vehicle to almost have a head-on safety safety safety now I must pay someone out of pocket to repair this problem again.

- Pine Bluff , AR, USA

Dec 112013

Ignition issue, wouldn't start. Dodge replaced the module, ignition and additional fob's. I paid $806.21 to pay for repair. In December 2014 I received a recall P57/NHTSA 14V-567 stating recall of a fobik. It says I can't do anything until parts come in but if I already had it repaired I think I should be reimbursed.

- Lakewood, NY, USA

Jul 122014

Charger 6-cyl

Cooling fan hit fan shroud breaking off a piece that hit the radiator.. this caused loss of radiator coolant. Fans and radiator had to be replaced along with coolant. According to Dodge forum this problem has been recalled on some same vehicles (2008 Chargers) but mine has not been recalled or notified that this could occur. Fortunately the car was at idle when this happened. No injury occurred. This is a design defect or part failure and owners should be compensated for towing and repair.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 062014

Charger 6-cyl

My 2008 Dodge Charger SE plus started to overheat. I pulled over, popped the hood and saw 3 of the radiator fan blades broken off and stuck in the radiator. I googled the issue and found many other Dodge Charger owners that had the same issue. I also found that in 2011 Chrysler issued "customer service notification L08" for 52,000 2006-2008 models for this exact problem. I called Chrysler and discovered that my VIN was not on that list so they were unable to help with "my" problem. I also quickly became aware that many other complaints were made with the same issue as mine with Chrysler excluding their vehicles from any recall or customer service notification. This is unacceptable and the csn L08 needs to include a wider range of vehicles.

- San Jacinto, CA, USA