2.5

2010 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Charger:

2010 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Charger

I was driving at approximately 35mph when my car stalled. And then eventually turned off. Has not turned on since. No lights came on or warnings of any kind. Car only has 78K miles on it. Dodge is not willing to investigate why motor went out or replace it.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Dec 012015

Charger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Charger. While driving at various speeds, the engine shut off without warning. While turning the key to the on position in the ignition, the key became stuck. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not able to start. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 052016

Charger

Vehicle had a horrible start up sound. The engine constantly knocked and I told the shop they waited until I had to get it towed there. The engine went out and my warranty paid for it but they still chargered me for things I asked them about like the termistat and the cooling fan.... the mechanic said they was not working but my car had not check engine light and went out on the interstate

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Charger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at a low speed, there was a loud grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The failure was experience numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer replaced the front struts and brake. However, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and replaced the water pump, and alternator causing the engine not to start up. The vehicle was taken an independent mechanic whom performed a diagnostic, which located the failure at the engine timing chain. The engine timing chain was replaced. However, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle stalled, while driving at 65 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure was 112,000.

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Nov 182015

Charger

Bought my 2010 Charger in 2012. Slight engine ticking when cold from day one. Worse in winter, barely noticeable in summer. As time goes by, ticking is getting worse. Checked for engine codes and nothing. Checked for oil issue and nothing. Ticking is getting more obnoxious, especially when cold. When the car warms up it fades out somewhat. Took it to the dealership after doing some research and there's a known issue with 3.5ho engines. Rocker arm issue, pins shear off, etc. Dealer confirmed this is my issue. Bad rocker arm assembly, lash adjusters. Factory part numbers end with "aa" and the new replacement parts with "ac." This is also an indication of a known issue. Ticking is on startup, louder when engine is cool. It gets better when it is warm but as of recently, it's more constant. Rocker arm assemblies need replaced on both heads, and the estimated cost is $1100. With so many people having this issue, you would think there would be a recall. Mileage is 55,446 currently. Car had 20,000 when purchased.

- Marion, OH, USA

Sep 022015

Charger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Charger. While driving at 40 mph, a knocking noise was heard and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the check engine, electronic throttle control, and the traction control warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the timing belt, the cylinder head, fuel gasket, and water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 082015

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Browns Mills, NJ, USA

Sep 042015

Charger

I was driving normally about 20 mph and I made a sharp turn and the engine shut off the power steering shut down there was a chime and the oil light turned on. I put the car in park and was able to start it up again. I hear and read that is a constant problem among consumers.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jul 032015

Charger

This car has been a nightmare. The automatic transmission went out at 85,000 miles and had to be completely replaced, thank fully the warranty covered it. This month I was driving to work and the car just died. I called aaa and had it towed to a total of 3 mechanics including the local Dodge dealership. Final prognosis was my timing chain broke. Not from wear and tear or stretching, it just snapped. The snapping of the timing chain caused the valves to bend which lead to the entire motor being tore down and piston by piston and ultimately having the bottom end rebuilt/replaced/etc. The part that sucks is this is a recall for my motor, year, and vehicle however my VIN number wasnt listed as part of the recall. So I had to pay $4000 to have my car fixed by aaa mechanic because the Dodge dealer wanted $7000 to fix it.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Charger

The contact owns 2010 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the key turned to the accessory position independently. The vehicle was merged to the emergency lane where it was shut off. The contact was able to restart the engine. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Arkalthia, AR, USA

Jun 182015

Charger

I was attempting to leave walmart parking lot and without warning the car died. I took it to be serviced and was told that it was giving no diagnostic codes. I picked the car up 3 days later and while bringing it home it died 3 times. I researched for reported complaints and found that this appears to be an ongoing issue. Why are these cars being sold? this is a very dangerous situation and I'm paying for a vehicle that I can't drive because there is a great risk of bodily harm or death to myself and others. This needs to be acknowledged and rectified!

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 082014

Charger

At approximately 95,000 mile I had my rocker arm shaft lifter assembly replaced under warranty due to a broken rocker arm and loud knocking noises coming from my engine. 10,000 miles later a rocker arm broke on the new assembly. I researched this issue and it is a know problem with Dodge Charger 3.5L engines. There is a defective part in the assembly that causes the rocker arm to break. People have replaced this item in their engine numerous times. The rocker arm shaft lifter assembly should be recalled. People pay over $1500 for this repair just to have faulty parts installed and have the same issue over and over again. There are multiple forums about this problem with Dodge's 3.5L engine.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Apr 012013

Charger 6-cyl

On the day of purchase in April 2013, I observed and inquired about a ticking noise in the car's engine. The salesman stated that it was probably due for an oil change. Since then, I have had several oil changes, but the ticking still exists. After speaking with a couple of mechanics, I was told the problem may be bad lifters. As of today I checked for possible recalls on the car. None were listed. I am requesting this matter be investigated further and a remedy be provided by the car maker.

- Gary, IN, USA

Mar 012014

Charger

A week after purchasing my 2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5L... I developed vibration/shaking during idle until about 900 RPM's. the vehicle was taken to the dealer and cylinder 1 was misfiring. Cylinder head, gasket, exhaust manifold were replaced. Then went the egr valve, that was then replaced. The shaking is still current and I am able to not get any answers. There has to be a recall that is not being announced. I have read many people having the shake issue on their same model and year as well.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 172014

Charger

This is the second time in one year - the no. 2 cylinder has broke. The dealership can not tell me why this is happening. But they did tell me that all replacement parts are rebuilt - no new parts. That is outrageous. Also, if the part goes bad and returned to Chrysler/Dodge - they will not make it known what the problem is to the dealership or to the consumer.. there is something wrong with the engines in the 2010 Dodge Chargers. They are deceiving us.

- Clendenin, WV, USA

Sep 242012

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle shook violently as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The contact mentioned the vehicle was taken for the same failure on several occasions. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,951 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Nov 152011

Charger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Charger. The contact was driving 35 mph when the oil warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. After a short period of time the vehicle was restarted. The failure recurred twice. The dealer was notified but advised the contact that they could not diagnose the problem unless it could be recreated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 17,000 and the current mileage was 27,640.

- Magnolia, TX, USA