2011 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Jul 072016

While driving on interstate doing 65 mph (and once while doing 25 mph) my lights, stereo and speedometer went out and car speed decreased. All lights on the dash light up/flash then after a few seconds everything go back to normal. Have happened several times while driving. And on two occasions the power steering fuses had to be replaced because they keep getting blown out. Have had alternator exchanged at last recall. Fearful that vehicle may stop in the line of traffic on the highway! have video of incident as it was happening. No pictures

- Hayti, MO, USA

Aug 192015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, the contact engaged the remote start, entered the vehicle, and depressed the start button. The vehicle independently accelerated. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle failed to respond. The contact crashed into a wall and a parked vehicle. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V467000 (air bags, seat belts) after the crash occurred. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 272015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated and the speedometer displayed the incorrect vehicle speed. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V118000 (air bags), 14V101000 (exterior lighting), and 14V634000 (electrical system). The parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 74,100.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Aug 242014

Charger 6-cyl

On 8/24 I was driving about 30 mph when my car started cutting out. The radio went off, my engine died and my steering locked. I almost hit a pedestrian and what could have been a few cars but I was able to avoid it. I stopped and was able to start my car to get it to the side of the road. I had it towed home, next day I had it towed to momentum Dodge because I looked online and had 3 recalls, door handles, headlights and I don't know the 3rd one. I was hoping it was the problem. It was not. I then had my car towed to another shop who verified my alternator is out. As of now the only place I can the find the alternator is, of course, the Dodge dealer which I cannot afford.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Aug 072014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving on the H-3 honolulu-bound and on my way, the battery indicator light illuminated in the dash display panel, then the ABS and traction lights lit up. Immediately after that, the car lost acceleration and there was no power steering. I knew I had to pull over to avoid an accident and when I attempted to do so, I had a difficult time maneuvering the car. To top it off, the anti-brake system was not working. My wife and I were not physically injured, but there could have been a fatality with cars traveling at 60 mph. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer's service area as after "google"-ing, it seemed like this is a known problem and the comments shared that the dealer is the only one who carries the necessary part. Total paid: $957.26 not a happy Dodge owner.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jul 312014

I was driving home with my 2 kids on the freeway. Battery saver mode message came on. The lights on the dash started flickering. The ABS light and electronic stability lights went on and off. As I was exciting freeway the rpms started jumping up and down. Ac started blowing hot. Radio shut off and the gas pedal barely worked. After that I lost power steering and had to muscle the car around a car in front of me and into a parking lot. The alternator died on me. I have read many other people having the same thing happen to them.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 192012

I bought my 2011 Charger in July 2012 with 32000miles on it. Four months after buying my Charger I had to replace both back tires. The tires were so worn out the wire was showing. Bought 2 new tires, by January 2013. These were used tires. In May 2012, I bought 4 new tires and had an alignment done. August 2013 the back tires had wire showing again. Dealer said it was the tow bar.I bought it in for repairs $350. I am currently buying back tires every 3-4 months. Recall comes out about ABS light and electrical system which can affect ESC functions. I was thinking "ok well maybe I driving so much I'm wearing down my tires" because between oil changes I had a 10,000 mile jump. Couldn't figure how I did 10,000 miles in 3 months. Now after careful study I found out ESC function affects how the speedometer reads, tire travel, and mileage reading. This car has been trouble since I bought it. In 2 years it says I've traveled 70,000 miles. What a rip off! the back end of the car just wobbles freely. Junk car.

- Donaldsonville, LA, USA

Dec 172011

Driving at 70mph speed limit, a car came over into my lane, and I had to slow down. I then pushed down on the accelerator to get back up to speed, and nothing. There was no acceleration at all, even after I kept pushing on the peddle. I had to take a fast look behind me, and go across 3 lanes of traffic, all going 70mph and more, to get the car to the right side of the road. We were lucky the 4 of us were not killed. The car went down to below 30mph, even though I kept pushing on the gas. Then it took off. This happened 2 times, and not quit so bad a few other times. We were on a 1 month trip, and when we left the car had just over 6,000 miles on it, and was 6 months old. When we got home it was 7 months old with 12,000 miles on it. At one point Chrysler Corp.told me it fits into the car buy back replacement program. They did not help me.I got a 2012 Charger because I did not trust the 2011. It could kill someone. They say the car is fixed, but I am not going to risk my family's life on it. Has there been any other cars with this problem, of no acceleration" is it a problem with the multiple displacement system" sounds like it. Thank you for your help. It sounds like Chrysler Corp.just dose not believe me, that there is no acceleration. Parts replaced were, hydraulic-tappets, multiple displacement solenoid, head gasket, sparkplugs, oil&filter.

- Glen Park, NY, USA