2012 Dodge Charger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Charger:

2012 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232016

We had a catastrophic failure of the alternator which nearly caused a wreck with my entire family (infant daughter was in car at the time when the high heat came on and windows locked not allowing us to turn heat off or get out for a minute) while we were driving back home and had to have the vehicle towed and get it fixed at the dealership earlier this year around January. Now the air bag warning light is staying on constantly, and as of 3 days ago (08/21/2016) the radio stops working and yesterday (08/23/2016) the ABS & traction control lights came on and will not go off now (at 60 mph that's scary when your family is with you and brake warning lights and airbag lights come on!!!!!!!). so this makes 3 warning lights that are now on constantly, yet the recalls for these issues do not apply to this VIN number, but the problems are happening exactly the same as other peoples problems who were part of recalls. My dealership won't fix it unless I pay because my cars VIN number doesn't qualify for the recall, yet the same exact problems are happening as recall problems. I will never buy Dodge again as they have nearly killed me and my family enough, and are turning out to be very dishonest!

- Rocky Mount, VA, USA

Jan 222016

While driving, the vehicle started making a whining noise. Soon after, we smelled an odor of burning rubber. Within 10 minutes, a vehicle warning light appeared indicating the charging system was malfunctioning. About 5 minutes later, the battery save mode light came on, we lost ABS and ESC, and the car seemed to have lost power. We were close to a Dodge dealer so we had the car looked at. Dealer had to replace the alternator. I asked about a recall or service bulletin and the service agent said there wasn't anything on the car. This car was in otherwise perfect condition, all services performed on time, with under 61000 miles.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 102014

While I was driving around 20 mph, my vehicle suddenly began to lose power. The ESC, ABS, etc and check engine light illuminated all at once and I had to quickly get to the side of the road without the use of gas. The gear shift was stuck and the screen on my dashboard informed me that I needed to push the start button to put my vehicle in park. I sat with my children on the side of the road for 10 minutes before the car started again. Lights on dashboard were still on but I was able to get the vehicle to the dealership. They diagnosed it as a faulty tire pressure sensor and some issue with a cylinder not functioning. I paid out of pocket for the cost of repair. A month later, I receive the P60 recall letter and it seems to describe the issue I had. I called the dealership and they made me feel like I was incompetent. I left the issue alone and had the recall on the alternator repaired in April. Last week, August 1st, my husband was driving the vehicle and the exact same thing happened to him again without warning. ESC, ABS, etc and check engine light illuminated and he had to pull to the side of the road safely while he lost power in the car. Gear shift was stuck and he had to put the vehicle in park by pressing the start button. Sat on the side of the road for 20 minutes before he was able to restart and drive to the dealership. The same Dodge dealership is now telling us to repair the left rear speed sensor, for the same issue we had in October.

- Sneads Ferry, NC, USA

May 252015

I was driving my 2012 Dodge Charger SXT (blacktop edition) approximately 45 mph on a highway when suddenly the car's electronic system starting going haywire. The ABS light when on, then the red brake light, then the engine light and so forth. The electronics started flickering on and off. I headed for the nearest exit and just I was exiting the car's steering ability locked up and coaxed it to the middle meridian of the road when it then suddenly lost power, narrowly avoiding an accident in a busy NY intersection. The vehicle would not turn on and I called aaa. They tried to give the car a boost but it only powered the electric system and it would not start. Once they took off the cables it had no power. The car had to be towed and is awaiting repairs.the car has never had any previous issues and I have maintained all regularly scheduled maintenance work with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 292015

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving at 30 mph, the ABS and the traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Mar 262015

In November of 2014 I received a letter indicating that my vehicle has been recalled due to issues with the alternator. The recall stated that the ABS, ESC, emc, and cbc systems could/would experience issues due to the failing alternator. Recently, my vehicle's indicator lights appeared showing that I was experiencing failures to a few of those systems. The dealership was closed at the time, so I immediately called the Dodge 24 hour hotline to inquire about the status of the recalled parts. On that day, I was told that only a temporary fix could be offered because the parts will not be available for months. A few days later, I was issued a letter stating that the dealership will be able to fix my recalled alternator. I set up an appointment immediately and called Dodge headquarters to verify that this is a permanent fix. At that time I was again told that the fix is only temporary. When I went to the dealership I was told that I was receiving a permanent fix. Overall, I am unsure if my vehicle has been temporarily fixed or if I've received a permanent fix. In addition, the dealership takes no responsibility in assisting to fix the systems that failed as a result of the recalled alternator. I was told that I would have to pay $75 just for them to inspect the rest of the vehicle and then pay out of pocket for the systems that were affected by the recall. I find that to be absolutely ridiculous. There is a direct link and the dealership/Dodge should take responsibility for any issues with the ABS, ESC, emc, and/or cbc systems. I am disheartened by this horrible interaction with Dodge and the company's defiance in fixing all issues that are directly linked to their mistake. All in all, I have no clue if my car has been properly fixed because I've gotten an influx of different information and I am being held responsible to pay for Dodge's mistake.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Feb 212015

Charger 6-cyl

Vehicle ABS and traction control came on engine light came on battery saver mode turn on then off again radio screen shut off RPM went up dash board screen turn white and then the vehicle shut off while I was driving.

- Conley, GA, USA

Feb 102015

Charger 6-cyl

Vehicle's ABS and traction control warning lights came on, battery saver mode turned on then off again, radio display screen shut off, RPM's spiked, dash display screen turned white then all power to vehicle shut off.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 102014

Charger 8-cyl

While parked and while driving, the ABS, ESC, and brake malfunction indicator lamps illuminate with a double warning chime. After 1 to 2 minutes, the indicators turn off. While the indicators are illuminated, the respective systems are not enabled. This was tested in winter weather by braking on slippery roads with no anti-lock intervention, and accelerating around a corner with no traction control or stability control intervention. The issue only happens when the car has been in operation for more than 30 min, and is aggravated by wet conditions, or a car wash with undercarriage spray. I have taken the car to the dealership with the same results. "could not reproduce the problem".

- Chesterfield Township, MI, USA

Jan 092015

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving 55mp and the cars electrical system just went crazy (radio, lights etc.) and the car cut off I had to have it towed to waldorf Dodge. I got a call several hour later with a $1200 est. To fix it. I refused only to find out the part (alternator was on the recall list.

- Temple Hills , MD, USA

Dec 152014

Charger 6-cyl

My vehicle stalled luckily as I was getting on to the 91 eastbound euclid St on ramp. My vehicle could have stalled in the carpool lane. Also I had just dropped off my 7 month old daughter at my mother's house.

- Pico Rivera , CA, USA

Dec 102014

I was driving and suddenly began to fail the entire board and heating alone is lit it and I could not lower the windows and power was shut down and the lights went out and it was night the wheel was hard and clean breezes seized my car manometers went crazy started going up and down as I could until I stop my car and refused to ensender risked my children.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 172014

Charger 6-cyl

I had this same problem fixed in August 2014 at dutch miller in South charleston, wv, and today the warning lights came on again, ABS and ESC warning lights in the dash.

- Eskdale, WV, USA

Sep 082014

Charger 6-cyl

Battery saver mode appeared on my dash. Wasn't sure what it meant so I told my husband to take the car to get a diagnostic test done. He went to auto zone to get it check and upon getting this done he stated "the car is going crazy" every light imaginable was appearing. The windows wouldn't go down, the radio stop playing, the steering wheel wouldn't move. In so many words the car just died.... I had to get my car towed to a service center once there I had to purchase a battery because they said the battery was dead. Once the battery was installed the car started again, but they couldn't test my car because there system wasn't up to date. So I was able to drive my car home. While driving home the battery saver mode light appeared again then the battery light appeared. I called the Dodge dealership near me and spoke to someone in the service department who told me that light indicates a bad alternator and that I will need to replace mine and being that my warranty has expired I will have to pay out of pocket and of course it is pricey.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Aug 232014

I was driving home on a Friday night around 10 P.M. on the highway 101 going South. All of a sudden my car ( Dodge Charger) starts making a peculiar noise, shortly my car gave me a message saying " battery save mode" my car was becoming very difficult to drive and very hard to work the steering wheel, luckily I was able to exit on the nearest exit. My I was driving 35mph on the road suddenly it went from 30, 20, 10 mph and than stopped, my car completely shut down I was not able to turn it back on. I was very scared just thinking what would have happen it my car would of shut down on the freeway. I've been reading allot of complains online and this is not a rare case. A lot of Dodge customers are complaining of bad alternators coming from Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. I hope this gets investigated and recall this car it is very unsafe!

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Aug 242014

Charger 6-cyl

Battery light went on, then the electrical light went on then all the lights started flashing. Steering wheel was hard to move, car gave me just enough power to drive onto the side of the road into the bike lane. Then the car wouldn't go in to any position except drive, the car wouldn't turn off, all electric went out. After about 25 minutes of the car trying to drive by itself and heating up with smoke, the car finally lost all power and turned off allowing me to put it in drive and turn on the hazard lights. Then the screen and lights continued to go of and on and continued until a service truck was able to tow me. He charged the battery to allow me to roll windows up and stated it was the alternator not holding power to the car.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Aug 012014

Charger 6-cyl

Started my car Friday morning August 1, 2014 and those 2 lights came on and haven't went out, called a Dodge dealer and was told it was not a recall problem but I read on here that it is.

- Eskdale, WV, USA

Jul 302014

Charger 6-cyl

Ac, speedometer, radio, all stopped working. Icons on the dashboard kept flashing out of control. The vehicle became difficult to steer, windshield wipers started on their own, windows locked. Then car just stopped working all together while I was driving. I thought maybe it was the battery so I attempted to get a jump. The vehicle turned on while it was being "jumped". as soon as the cables came off the strange behavior started again.

- Marana, AZ, USA

Jul 232014

Charger 6-cyl

Leaving work I noticed my radio suddenly turned off, display showed power saver mode. I contacted my husband by cell phone and he advised me to stop driving it because there had been reports of fires, crashes and loss of control. I was turning on to my street and I lost control of steering, brakes, and all power in the car. I was coasting to park and noticed that there was smoke coming out from under the hood. My husband came down to look at the vehicle and could not turn vehicle on at all. Now, I drive our car to and from work, a 15 minute trip 6 days a week. We regularly keep our vehicle serviced. This car is coming on a 2 year anniversay and I have paid for a new battery, parts/labor and diagnostic test. Dealership says that my car is safe to drive but the alternator is making a noise and that it can last from 6 months to a year or die a week from now. How dramatic is that? Chrysler gave me a case # and adivsed me that they needed to know what was wrong with it before they offered cost assistance. There is no amount of money that either company can give me to replace the loss of a life in my family. Please keep us safe and fix these defective vehicles off of the road to prevent even more unnecessary collisions.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 182014

Car was not in motion, went to turn it on and speakers fail to come on and have not been working since. Display is functional, all buttons and controls are also functionals but no sound plays from speakers.

- Slidell , LA, USA