2013 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Charger:

2013 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 202016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While attempting to start the vehicle, the battery saver power mode engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator and battery failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,515.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 282016

Charger

While driving down a state highway all warning lights came on, windshields wipers, the heat full blast and then the car just died. Had nothing no steering no brakes no power.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Oct 152016

Charger 8-cyl

"altenator recall", while driving down the road, battery saver mode came on then the battery light in my R/T daytona edition. The car only has 27000 miles on it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 032016

Charger

My trunk opens up for no reason.

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 152016

Charger

This started with a burning smell and radio not working. I tried to get car into Dodge dealer in tallahassee but due to hurricane they were backed up. I drove car home from work and in seconds a terrible smell and black smoke filled up the car and out from hood into car. I had aaa and emergency service, car was towed to tallahassee car care center. I am just past my warranty with mopar Dodge but this is not typical and should not happen with only 22K miles. This was dangerous and scary and could have caused a crash on the road.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While driving at any speed, the sunroof, hands free module, and cruise control failed without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 202016

Charger

Vehicle had a multi-system failure while driving away from a parking lot. Engine did not stall at first. Initially the steering became hard from power steering loss, "service AWD" light came on, "service power steering" light was next, followed by brake system failure. Car was still a little driveable and then it stalled as I was stopping. This vehicle is very dangerous. Vehicle would not restart even though the button start system was telling me to step on the brake and push start. Waited 3 hours for a capable tow truck (due to the AWD). During the wait, the car's instrument panel would come alive, the panel gauges would swipe one time and various noises could be heard as if the car was starting but nothing was going on. This car is extremely dangerous.

- Swoyersville, PA, USA

Jul 292016

Charger

Was driving down the highway and smelled an odor similar to electrical burning. Indicators appeared for low battery/save battery mode in the dash. Took car to advanced auto and while testing battery, white smoke was billowing from near engine. Mechanic repaired bad alternator which was the problem. Called Chrysler dealership after seeing recall on 2013 Dodge Chargers but my specific car was not included on the recall. Car had approximately 60,000 miles at time of incident.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 032016

Charger

As I pulled out of the parking lot of my job, I got a message on my dashboard saying "battery saver mode" and the symbols of ABS and the electrical stability control icons lit up. I then heard a strange noise as if the car was in the wrong gear. I tried to make a call with my bluetooth hands free and then it stopped working. After driving a mile, I pulled over to a gas station and called the dealership service dept. I explained the symbols that were on and the noises. I was assured the warnings lights were just a caution and I wouldn't have to worry about my car breaking down if I wanted to bring my car to the service dept. After ending my call, my ac went out and then my car shut off. I had no power and had to call a towing company to haul my car to the dealer. I was only able to drop it off as they were closing for the day but I noticed there was a recall describing the same thing that just happened to me. After researching recalls for my vehicle, I noticed the same problem as the recalled 160 amp alternator (P60 recall). This issue is still occurring with more than just what Chrysler is reporting. My vehicle is an 180 amp alternator and meets the same risks listed for a recall.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Jul 272016

Charger

Vehicle will state "battery saver mode" and start a high pitched whirring nose. At this point the alternator will either get stuck or short and will begin to overheat followed by a drained batter and stalling of the car. In my instance I had been driving the car on a city street when the message stating "battery saver mode" turned on then started turning off and on the radio, signaling low battery, ABS active with them turning on an off before the high pitched sound began from the engine. I drove 2 blocks to my job parked and smoke billowed from under the hood directly from the alternator. I turned off the car and allowed it the smoking to stop. Once it was off I noticed all power in the car was drained and it would not turn on in any way or even open the trunk. It was towed to a mechanic who confirmed an issue with the alternator and had to replace it with a 180amp alternator to solve the issue.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jul 152016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While driving 40 mph, the battery mode warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 102016

Charger

When driving all of a sudden the battery light came on.all the other lights start flashing and loosing power.was able to park in a parking lot.the car shut down.I was told at the part store the battery was good but low probably because the alternator or left lights on in car.I charge battery and drove home about 3 mins away.smoke was comming from under the hood.it was comming from my alternater.a day ealier it smell like acid and it was skipping a little bit.I thought it was time for a tune up.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Jul 022016

Charger

I had a prior issue with my 2013 Dodge Charger when my mother was driving my car and the alternator went on it and it became very difficult for her to turn the car considering she is a tiny woman. I contacted the NHTSA and I want to say something was done about it because a month later my Charger had a recall for the alternator. The problem with this is that it is happening again, the only thing is this time I was driving the car but it was still a little difficult to control a 5000 pound car with no power steering because the alternator is gone on it. I replaced my battery and I know it is not that. The car is basically new and I shouldn't be having these issues and it is also dangerous because you never know when a car is going to just shut off on you in the middle of the hight, or rush hour traffic, anywhere that it can be dangerous to control the vehicle. I sent Dodge and email tonight, hoping to get an answer back within a few days, but for the most part right now I will have to take an uber to work or where ever I need to go. But this is an inconvenience to a lot of owners because I have read a lot of bad reviews on the alternator for this car. If they are replacing the alternators with the same first one they used, it makes no sense because it is just going to have the same problems.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 182016

Charger

My Dodge Charger hemi 5.7 road and track has less than 15,000 miles on it. We took it to dealership to have several recall repairs done. Drove car home, it sat in garage for maybe 3 days, went to start the car, evic was white and car would not start. Tried to start next day and none of the lights would even come on, totally dead. Used jumper cables on it, still will not start. Had to let the good car stay running and revving the engine off and on for almost 20 minutes, while trying to start the Charger several times, the lights and evic came on but would not start. The next day, tried jumping again same as above, let good car run for about another 15-20 minutes, car started, check engine light is on. Drove Charger to autozone and left running, had someone come out and put a meter on the + and - terminals and was told the alternator is bad, not charging the battery. Afraid to drive because I understand that the car could suddenly just die while driving it. That certainly would not be safe. We will be taking the car back to a dealership for the latest recall for the engine timing chain and chain guide issue. This alternator is the 180-amp alternator. With less than 15,000 miles this should not have happened. We will be letting Dodge know how disappointed we are that they have not included this 5.7L engine and alternator in the recall they have done for the 6-cylinder engine, as I have researched it and have found that there have been many consumers with the same issue on their 5.7L Chargers.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Jun 102016

Charger

180 amp alternator is defective. Died out after 2 years. Car died on freeway. Had to replace alternator. Mechanic said it was defective.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jun 102016

Alternator defective.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jun 042016

Charger

Currently having an ongoing issue with the ABS and traction control lights. The vehicle is in the shop for the second time in less than 2 months for the same lights. Twice I was driving down the road, the brake pedal would do something funny and the those lights would come on. The second time(currently and occurred on June 4th) the airbag warning light came on as well. The first time the ABS and traction light came on, I was told it was a ABS sensor, and I paid the dealership $250. This time less than 2 months later, the dealership is saying it is yet another sensor causing those lights to illuminate. And as far as the airbag goes, it's faulty wiring and that it needed another wiring harness. These repairs would cost me over $600. I have two friends that have the same vehicle and are having the exact same problems with the ABS and traction control lights. This seems to be a overall Dodge issue as far as the Chargers go.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 152016

Charger

A recall was sent out for the alternator, I tried several attempts to get the work done and they never had the part. Recently I was out driving the car and it shutoff and all the lights on the inside and outside of the car began to flash on and off constantly. I had to call the tow truck to have it towed to the dealership because it was inoperable. Once the dealership did their diagnosis they notified me and told me it was the alternator and it caused the battery to die. He told me that he was going to take care of the alternator but I had to come out of the pocket for the battery. I explained to him that the battery died due to the bad alternator and he stated that he does not know that still insisting that I pay for the battery. I called for two days straight trying to contact the service manager but no one ever contacted me. Therefore I'm reaching out to your company to find out is it fair that I have to pay for a battery that died due to the alternator going out. The car lights continued to flash and the gauges continued to go in all different directions even when the tow company towed the car. The battery that was in the car was purchased directly from Dodge less than 2 years ago. Can someone please assist me?

- Miramar, FL, USA

Apr 252016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While driving 70 mph, the anti-brake system, traction control, and battery warning light illuminated and the vehicle began to jerk. The contact mentioned that the vehicle went into a battery saving mode. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,076.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Feb 292016

Charger

My 2013 Dodge Charger rt (5.7L V8) starting making a whining noise coming from the engine while running. When accelerating the noise became louder. A burnt smell inside the cabin of the vehicle was noticed. The next day attempting the drive the car, the noise continued and several lights on the dashboard came one including brake, front crash system, etc. After car was turned off vehicle's battery died. After charging the battery, car started but smoke and a strong burnt smell started coming into car. After opening hood smoke and a small flame was visible spewing out of the alternator. After turning the vehicle off the alternator continued smoking and making crackling and popping noises for 15 minutes after the engine was turned off. Battery died again and no longer powered the vehicle requiring the car to be towed into the dealership. Waiting for Chrysler's investigators report to determine of Dodge will cover the repair of the parts.

- Broussard, LA, USA