2013 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Charger:

2013 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Charger

Traveling on highway, cruise control turned off, ABS/traction control light came on then check engine came on and the car stalled and would not go anywhere. I am thinking a faulty alternator. Needs to be on recall for alternators.

- Baxley, GA, USA

Sep 252016

Charger

I was on the freeway when my cars lights started flashing and would get on battery saver mode and was hard trying to steer on to emergency lane until it completely shut off on me. Luckily I was half way on the slow lane and safe lane. It would not turn on and it started smoking when I tried getting out I was completely locked in and could not turn on the car to place it on park or open the doors. I had to get out through the window that I already had down. I then had to call my boyfriend to pick up the car in a trailer. When I was out the car I noticed red/pinkish water coming out of the car.

- Mcfarland, CA, USA

Jan 162016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While driving 1 mph and parking the vehicle, it suddenly accelerated. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a wall and pinned a caregiver. The air bags did not deploy. It was difficult to shift gears, which prolonged the injury. The fire department was notified, but a police report was not filed. The caregiver sustained minor injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The body damage was repaired. The manufacturer not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Jul 152016

Charger

The vehicle's cruise control was engaged and was set to 67 mph on an open, rural straight highway. A single tap and release of the + cruise button was initiated. Instead of incrementing the speed up by 1 mph the accelerator remained engaged and the car quickly accelerated uncontrollably to 90+ mph. A hard press on the brakes was required to get the car to disengage the accelerator. Quite shocked by what just happened I informed the passenger that was with me of the event that just took place. I then engaged the cruise control a second time and then again initiated a tap and release of the + cruise button. Again, this should have incremented the cruise speed by 1 mph but instead the car again went into an uncontrolled acceleration until I stopped it by a hard press on the brakes. This condition was witnessed by myself and a passenger that was with me. The vehicle has 16,000 miles on it and has never had any maintenance other than what is performed at and by the dealer.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 282016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving into a parking space, the vehicle surged forward and crashed into a tree. The contact did not sustained injuries. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V467000 (air bags, seat belts), 16V046000 (electrical system) and 16V240000 (power train) and stated that the parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Part distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Lynwood, CA, USA

May 012016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle jerked before accelerating. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 242016

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle made an abnormal sparking noise and the front driver side air bag rattled. The front passenger side window failed to open and close intermittently. In addition, all four windows failed intermittently. When the cruise control was engaged, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The cruise control had to be disengaged in order for the vehicle to slow down. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V634000 (electrical system) and 15V467000 (air bags). The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Napa, CA, USA

Aug 172015

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the adjustable pedals were randomly moving from the front to the rear while the vehicle was in motion and upon parking the vehicle. The contact stated that the dealer was notified of the failure and indicated that they would not be able to schedule an inspection and diagnosis to determine the failure until October 16, 2015. The contact was unable to receive a solution within a reasonable time frame and may experience the condition progressing while waiting for the dealer and the manufacturer to remedy the failure for two weeks. The manufacturer provided no resolution and indicated that the contact would need to wait until an appointment was available with the dealer approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 062014

Charger

There is a recall I just received in the mail today on my car P60 (alternator) and I was driving down the road yesterday Dec 6, when everything shut down on me...while driving 45 mph in congested traffic almost causing a deadly accident. They said there is no remedy yet but they will put a new defective alternator on my car leaving me in the same situation if this happens again until the problem is resolved. I feel the car should be replaced at their expense as it is no longer safe in my opinion for me to drive with children because we were almost killed yesterday when this happened there was no warning it just went down. Dodge willnot give me a rental car since I am 900 miles over warranty but this is a recall so im stuck with no car and even when I get it back it is still defective. Please help!

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 272014

Charger 6-cyl

Having multiple problems with my Charger which only has 7300 miles on it. Like others have mentioned, when at a complete stop, the car will jump forward. Feels like transmission shifting late. Then when driving and getting up to speed, the rpms will jump up but the car does not speed up. The last time the rpms increased, I quickly took my foot off the gas pedal, and the rpms continued to rise to 5K. Both issues happen sporadically. Have taken to dealer 2X. First time they had for 2 days, reprogrammed the transmission and said they fixed it. I took it home over the weekend and both issues still happened. Took car back in on Monday and this time they had it for 4 days and gave me a rental car. Today I was told that Chrysler is aware of the problem (valve body separate plate part) and is working on a fix. The part/fix was supposed to be available at end of may/early June, but since it's already 6/5, obviously that date was not an accurate time frame. (star case no. S1421000013 date 4/9/14) the dealership states they cannot do anything to fix this until the part is available. They could not let me keep the rental car (warranty coverage time max out), and gave me back my Charger to drive until they can fix it. I worry about the problems and what else could go wrong, or if the rpms will cause problems with my speed, cause a wreck, or just cause further damage to the trans/engine. Not a happy new car owner.

- Goodells, MI, USA

Dec 052013

Charger 6-cyl

My 2013 Dodge Charger has power adjustable pedals. After owning the car for about 6 months, the pedals began to randomly move on their own. As I always kept the pedals in the fully retracted position, this meant that the pedals would move towards me and if my foot was on the accelerator pedal, the car would accelerate as the pedals moved towards me. The occurrences were random, sometimes happening multiple times within a few minutes and sometimes at low speeds and sometimes at highway speeds. Sometimes it wouldn't happen for several days, then start doing it again. I took the car into a Chrysler dealer in early January, 2014 and they said they couldn't look at it for several days. I didn't take it back and put it on my to-do list as there were a few other things on the car that I needed fixed and was doing a lot of traveling. Regardless, the condition stopped in late March and didn't occur for over 3 weeks. As it was extremely cold in Michigan, I thought that the weather might have been a contributor to the problem. But then, it started happening again in mid-April when it was warm, sometimes 6-10 times within several minutes. When trying to move the pedals back to the fully recessed position with the switch on the side of the seat, it wouldn't respond and I had to move the seat back and forth a few times before the pedal switch worked. There are and haven't been any obstructions even close to the switch and the car was in perfect condition. I suspect a switch problem but don't know yet.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Feb 212014

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired the manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 20,900.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 162013

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the adjustable pedals erroneously and independently adjusted while traveling at various speeds. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 700.

- Sheridan, IN, USA