8.8

$1,833.00

1. replace rear differential (3 reports)
2002 Dodge Dakota drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Dakota:

2002 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Nov 112010

Dakota Sport 4.7L V8

Any ideas on why if I put my truck in four wheel drive and try to back it up or turn sharp it seems like something is seized. It feels like something is locked up and pulls/pushes one of the wheels instead of turns. Also makes a funny noise.

- , Watsontown, PA, USA

Aug 042010

Dakota 3.98 V6

My 2002 4x4 dodge Dakota w/ 72,000 miles and still under an extended warranty is currently at the dealership due to the differential breaking/cracking ....they don't want to warranty it as they said its my fault? This is a street driven truck and there is no way possible that I broke the differential causing the axle to pull out of the differential 1/2 inch making it appear that it is tacoed! I had the transfer case replaced 8 months ago as it failed? This truck is a piece of sh*t and anyone having the same issue plz let me know as I am gathering all the information I can and intend to take this to court if they don't warranty this replacement. Please contact me with information that might be helpful.

- , Alturas, CA, USA

Nov 152008

Dakota 4.7L

Now at 115,000 miles I'm on my second set of carrier bearings, Dodge says F-off.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 012007

Dakota SXT 3.9L V6

ok who ever designed this diff was a f*kin dumb a* not only did the failure of all the gears in the rear end cause my tires to lock up it almost put me one hell of deep ditch that was not a fun ride... it taken me over a week to get all the right parts and it doesn't help know one knows how to fix my truck its still down and it 10/1/07 and it f**K up on 9/20/07 and i can't fix it because i need the right tools. so whoever's out there, do not but a dodge Dakota ok, because its nothing but a money truck stay away from it

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 022007

Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4.7L

My rear differential broke on my 2002 Dodge Dakota. I had a 70,000 mile warranty through Dodge. At 72,000 miles the differential broke. I took it into a Dodge dealership (Hartzheim Dodge in San Jose, CA) and they took it apart and found the problem. I asked the dealership to see if Dodge would take care of the problem as it was just out of warranty. It took the dealership a week to tell me that Dodge wouldn't cover it. The reason was that I didn't have any receipts for having the differential fluid changed. I had the fluid changed as required in the manual and it was written down in the manual. However Dodge would not even consider that as legitimate. I had to pull teeth to get the dealership to call Dodge. They didn't really want to go out of their way. I even talked to the upper management at the dealership and they weren't helpful at all. I was really mad at this point and pulled my truck out of there. They wanted to charge me almost $4,000 to fix the problem. They ended up charging me $130 for the diagnostic. I took my truck to my mechanic and he replaced the differential for about $2,000.

Has anybody else had this problem? Chrysler and Dodge does not go to bat for their customers. I have had other problems with my truck and that was before 70,000 miles. However they weren't covered under the extended warranty. I am not happy with my Dodge or the way I have been treated by Chrysler or the dealership. Any suggestions?

- , San Jose, California, USA