2005 Dodge Dakota seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Dakota:

2005 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Aug 302012

Passenger seat belt off and passenger air bag off warning lights light up intermittently; even when nothing is in the passenger seat. The warning lights light up for no reason.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 032012

Dakota 8-cyl

Dash board airbag light came on when I repostioned front passanger seat..I came home and checked Dodge forum to see what and where the problem may be.... while reading several posts about checking for a loose connector I decided to go to the truck and removed the bolts holding the seat to the floor I layed the seat on its back, released the red retaining clip and depressed it... whiling holding down the release I pulled on the plug and to my surprise the control unit came apart in my hands....

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jan 112012

Dakota 6-cyl

I hit a pole doing 40 mph airbags did not deploy.

- Rtochester, NY, USA

Nov 022011

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected by the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Anderson , NV, USA

Sep 102009

Airbag sensor came on for no apparent reason this morning. Started truck as normal, panel lights came on as normal, then sensor light came back on with ding. Failure mileage 33840. Since this truck is a lease, which is up in 2 weeks, will not be contacting dealer.

- Renton, WA, USA

Sep 292008

The airbag light came on, I took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They told me that this was not the first time that they had a truck like mine come in for the same reason, they said that it was the seat airbag sensor. They said that the sensor keeps the bags from deploying when in a wreck.

- Elgin, OK, USA

Mar 142008

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

The passenger side airbag shuts itself off when a bag or some light weight item that weighs less than an adult (no specific weight given) is placed on the passenger seat. The only way to get the airbag back on is to take it to the dealer. They charge $100 every time. The dealer and Chrysler Corp. Are saying that this is normal for this vehicle. I have mentioned that I believe this to be a safety issue, in that if two persons are traveling and the airbag gets shut off, someone either must wait somewhere for maybe 2-3 days until repairs can be made, or ride in the truck without an airbag. This has happened at least 3 times now.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Dec 162005

Dakota 6-cyl

Since purchasing my 2005 Dodge Dakota quad cab in Feb. Of '05, I have noticed several times that the air bag light in the instrument cluster lights up indicating a problem with the system. I have taken the vehicle in to the dealer to be diagnosed. The dealer checked the "codes" and found nothing that indicated a circuit problem, so they done nothing to repair the vehicle. Two days after the service, the air bag light again came on. The dealer even said that the air bag system would not operate whenever the light is on. When the light comes on, it sometimes stays on 15 minutes, and typically anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes. I am very concerned that the system would fail in the event of a crash, endangering myself and my family. This is the primary family vehicle.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Nov 012005

Dakota 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag light works some time it doesn't. you can turn the switch off and back on the light my go out or it may not you never know whether it is working or not.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Sep 132005

I was involved in a single car accident with my 2005 Dodge Dakota truck. In which I hit a pole. I was driving the speed limit which was 35 mph. When I hit the pole my air bags did not go off. When I called the dealer they said that there are sensors in the middle of the bumper. When I took pictures of the bumper they show that I hit it within inches of the center of the bumper. When I took those pictures to the dealer they said that the sensors are on the support beams. I would like to know why they didn't go off and if there was or is any recalls on this.

- Livonia, NY, USA

May 072005

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Dakota was involved in a frontal collision. The passenger side air bag failed to deploy and the seat belts failed to lock. The driver hit his head on the steering wheel which knocked one of his teeth out.

- Belvidere , IL, USA