2006 Dodge Dakota steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Dakota:

2006 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 262012

I noticed in November 2012 that the steering on my 2006 dodage Dakota quad cab seemed stiff and hard to turn, almost as if it wasn't getting enough power steering fluid - checked it and it was ok. Seemed at first to be stiffer when it was cold so attributed it to winter cold. Then at the end of March 2013, I was turning and heard a clunk as if I had hit a pothole. I heard it again on the same day and then heard a squeak as if the springs needed oiling. I stopped at my local repair shop. The mechanic oiled something - drove it and didn't hear a clunk. Three days later I took it to him and said it is clunking regularly and the steering still seems stiff. He replaced upper and lower ball joints that had gone bad, control arms, and tie rods that had play in them. This at 82,000 miles. These repairs are ridiculous for 82,000 miles. After spending $1400 I am still having tight steering. I don't know about Dodge executives, but I can't afford repairs like this. The most complaints listed for this model and year are for steering and I've heard from the dealer that the ball joints go out early - as mine did. This vehicle should be recalled for steering and ball joints! my 1993 Dakota is still going without these problems and it has 204,000 miles. If they can't make them the way they used to I'm not buying Dodge again. P.S. my sister's 2009 Dakota had a broken tie rod, ball joint, and steering issues. They can't find anything wrong with the steering. She is dumping it - won't drive it again.

- Madrid, IA, USA

Jan 112012

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that he experienced difficulty steering the vehicle. The contact also stated that he had to apply an excessive amount of force in order to turn the steering wheel.the vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that both the tie rod and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Richlands, VA, USA

Sep 262012

Dakota 6-cyl

On this 2006 Dakota, steering is very stiff and makes me over correct the steering with each turn, causing me to jerk the wheel hard. There have been several incidents where I have almost hit parked cars in the process of turning. I have heard many with this problem and feel our 2006 should be included in this recall if there should be one(really needs to be).

- Marion, OH, USA

Apr 092012

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

The steering wheel gets stuck and is very stiff and won't return. Lots of complaints and the all the dealers have these parts on back order.. if there is not a recall there should be the power steering pumps, steering racks and steering control rods are all on back order and not avail in NJ, del or pa.... if all the parts are not avail that shows there is a big problem with these trucks.

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Mar 152010

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

Power steering inconsistent, nearly locks up during slow speed turns and is very difficult to turn at highway speeds. This does not always happen, does not matter if left or right turns. Have had to dealer who states no problems with steering. Have had tie rod ends and ball joints replaced multiple times, this helps for a short time, but problem never leaves completely. Am told once again that the ball joints are bad. Quit going to dealer, as I am getting no where with the dealer/manufacturer. Have found huge amount of similar complaints on the internet, and a few on NHTSA site. Would be great if someone would actually find out what the cause is and get fixed before I am in a major crash and or get killed.

- Rew, PA, USA

May 262009

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that there were rattling noises coming from the front end of the vehicle while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the rack and pinion failed. The contact was also informed that the sway bar links were loose. The vehicle was repaired. The failure had since recurred every few months. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer where various front suspension components were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 02/15/12 the rack and pinion, sway bar links, lower ball joints, upper control arm ball joint and shocks were all bad. Also, the shifter was coming out of park and the tie rods were worn. Updated 05/02/12

- Onekama, MI, USA

Jan 012011

Power steering comes and goes. When turning, at any speed, steering is stiff-loose-stiff-loose. This has caused me to oversteer and nearly jump the curb a few times. As I say it comes and goes. It can be hour to hour or day to day. No leaks in the power steering, fluid is full and clean. I have seen a number of complaints for this exact problem in many online forums

- Germantown, MD, USA

Aug 302010

Dakota 6-cyl

Dealership suggested stabilizer bar links need replacement. Replaced both links twice without correcting front suspension "clunking". possible of lower ball joints failing.

- Independence, KS, USA

May 202010

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the power steering shut off. The contact pulled over and noticed that the power steering fluid was low. The contact replenished the fluid but the failure continued to occur. After another inspection, the contact noticed that the vehicle was leaking power steering fluid. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the dealer stated that they could not find the cause of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. The current mileage was approximately 56,000. Updated 10/27/10.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

May 272010

2006 Dodge Dakota 4 X 4 with less than 30,000 miles suddenly needs new inner and outer tie rods and 1 front wheel bearing replaced. All this changed since the last service date 8 months prior - or 3000 miles. Just came out of factory warranty. Dodge problem or poor practice of dealership to prey on out of factory warranty customers?

- Wauzeka, WI, USA

Jan 012009

Steering winds & gets stuck while turning. I called dealer and was simply told there was no issue w/that. I dropped car off for inspection at a local garage and was told to call dealer immediately. I was informed that the steering could get stuck and cause a serious crash. The shop owner told me that it was a defect from manufacturer and refused to even inspect the vehicle. The dealer again told me there were no issues with this type of vehicle. I insisted that they look at problem and inspect the vehicle. The vehicle is a Dodge Dakota quad cab 2006. They reacted as if it was no concern. This is probably because they don't drive their children in the vehicle. I did call them numerous times and was told it was okay to drive. They haven't had any reports of any steering problems. It occurs every day. Thankfully there were crashes or fatalities. The car is at dealer now. They are supposed to check it out on 4/5/2010. I do not trust them to give me a straight answer or report this problem.

- Feasterville, PA, USA

May 262009

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph on normal road conditions. The front passenger wheel began to wobble. Immediately, there was a reduction in the speed rate. The driver continued operation with caution the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The failure was contributed to a disengagement of the steering strut. The technician replaced the front driver and passenger mounting bracket and steering strut. The failure mileage was 13,500.

- Morehead , MN, USA

Feb 222010

2006 Dodge Dakota (cab) truck: Have had recurring issues with the steering column. Started making a loud squeaking grinding noise. Brought it in and the dealer replaced a bolt in the steering column. We brought it back to the dealer (8 mos later - though the vehicle has been making the same noises consistently for quite a while again. This last time there was "play" in the steering.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 252009

Intermediate steering shaft needs replacing, clunk sound. Oem has now been upgraded to a beefier shaft because oem was not holding up. This should be a recall issue.

- Pikeville, TN, USA

Aug 212009

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. When entering the vehicle he noticed that his knee was hitting the steering wheel because it was very low. The manufacturer stated that they could not provide any resolution since the vehicle was designed that way. The contact is aware of the risk for drivers with a larger stature. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Eastham , MA, USA

Jul 202009

Dakota 8-cyl

Whenever the contact would drive over a bump he noticed that the entire front of the vehicle would shake and rattle. The contact also noticed that whenever he turns in any direction the steering wheel will creek and bump. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The contact did not notice any differences beforehand, the current and failure mileage is 53000. Bml updated 9/17/09 the consumer also stated the front struts and sway bars were replaced. Updated 09/18/09.

- Pine Grove, PA, USA

Jan 122008

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact heard a loud rattling noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the tie rod assembly. One year later, the failure resurfaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two more occasions and they replaced the front stabilizer bar, rack and pinion, lower ball joints, and tie rods. All of the repairs have been insufficient in remedying the failures. The failure mileage was 15,000 and current mileage was 47,000.

- Medina, OH, USA

Sep 292008

I was backing out of my drive way and the tie rod fell off my truck and both front wheels buckled. This is a 2006 Dodge Dakota truck with greaseless ball joints in the front end. The truck was just in the manufactures shop 2 weeks prior to this for service and they didn't even notice this was about to happen. I'm not blaming them I'm just making a point that there was no sign that this was going to happen. And I know that they looked at the front end because they let me know that my brakes were getting close to needing replaced. And the tie rod is bolted on right where they look to check the brakes. I feel this is a major safety concern for me and other people out there driving these trucks. If this had happened while driving 50 to 60 mph I probably wouldn't be here typing this right now. This is a two wheel drive truck that has never been used for off road driving. I did keep the tie rod and have pictures of it if needed showing how dried out and rusty it is on the inside. So I hope you do give this serious thoughts about looking into this matter. Thank you john!!!

- Nixa, MO, USA

Feb 042003

The vehicle was purchased 12-14-06 and shortly after I began to experience the bouncing and rolling on the front suspension as well as numerous types of rattling noises. Shocks were replaced on 3-14-07 and front sway bar links on 4-24-07. Since then, front sway bar links were replaced again as well as one tie rod end. One sway bar link was replaced in the back of the vehicle and the other is currently needs replaced. The condition has gotten progressively worse and now includes a front end shaking on almost smooth roads as well as the steering wheel moving left and right in my hands when going around turns. This vehicle is a safety issue as I have to virtually hold a death grip on the wheel to keep from loosing control when I hit a bump, dip, strip bump, pavement waves, etc.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jan 032008

Dakota 8-cyl

As I was driving I started hearing a thumping coming from the front of the truck. I immediately took it to my mechanic at monro in tunkhannock. He advised that the sway bar has gone bad. Along with 80,000 other people that own Dodge Dakota trucks, he put me on a waiting list to get the part. It has been 6 months. No recall, and I am still driving my 2006 Dodge Dakota quad cab truck around with a broken sway bar. The part isn't even available on the aftermarket either. If I would like to trade my vehicle I will take a loss because this piece is broken. Now my rack is going bad because of the added pressure on it because of the sway bar being bad. I tried to call and talk to someone at Chrysler and they said sorry...not sure when it's going to be available. Honestly I want it fixed...I am tired of waiting...and if Chrysler can't keep up with their shabby parts...let me trade my truck for a different one and give me full trade in value on the truck. This is wrong! highway robbery at its best. Please I am begging you to please do something. This is my only vehicle and I bought it knew with intentions of keeping it forever because I thought it was safe. I have a 6 year old that rides with me often. This makes me very nervous to drive it with her...but I don't have a choice. Help!

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA