CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

4.2

2013 Dodge Dart brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments

Jan 012014

Dart

Check engine light was on. Dealership technician was able to perform diagnostic procedure that called for a software update for camshaft pos. Sensor and evap leak.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Nov 142015

Dart

The first time my breaks went out I was sitting in a drive thru and we heard a loud popping noise and the breaks became hard to push down. It took longer to stop driving home to be towed. The second time the same thing happened but we were driving this time and with this one the traction control also went out. This is the second time in 9 months that I have had my break system replaced. This is a major safety hazard as I could have killed someone seeing as though I had no breaks to stop. I drive long distances for work on major freeways that are very busy in the morning and at night and had this happened while I was on one of those freeways, someone would likely have died or at the very least been severely injured. This is uncalled for.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Nov 012013

Dart

Eight months after purchasing the vehicle the BCM (body control module) failed causing door locks and trunk release not the function this happened while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. After the BCM was replaced the interior lights stop functioning along with the dashboard lights flickering. This also happened while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. The vehicle traction control and cruise control both malfunction while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. Https://youtu.be/B7loromdbhs https://youtu.be/qclhywt17ik https://youtu.be/jyhg7dpqndq https://youtu.be/jdtthgryv6W

- Redford, MI, USA

Dec 132014

Dart

I took my car in to the dealer on December 13, 2014 for an oil change because the light was on. I was driving home after the oil change was completed and the electronic stability control malfunction light came on and the car began jerking to the left. I set up an appointment with another Dodge dealer to check out the problem and was told that the speed sensor was broken. The car is still under warranty so I was told there would be no charge for the replacement. After fixing the sensor the dealer notified me that the light still comes on. They spoke to Chrysler about the problem and were told that Chrysler does not know what it could be. I was told that they needed to keep my car over the weekend and that Chrysler offered me a loaner car while the repair is being done.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 252013

Dart 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on 01/22/2013. The first of many incidents happened while driving down a major highway. I was in the fast lane changing lanes and I suddenly had full power loss. I was unable to steer the vehicle and was almost hit by several faster moving cars. The car was also quickly slowing down. I was able to get the vehicle started again and pulled off the highway. As I went to turn into a parking lot this vehicle had power loss again. Between 02/25/2012 and 11/07/2014 and 26,000 miles this vehicle has been in the shop over 10 times. It has multiple power loss issues, and gauge issues. Headlights and turn signals have gone out, and random windows roll down when pushing the buttons. This vehicle is a safety hazard and should be recalled in its entirety. Repair shops tell consecutively that they cannot repair all the issues. It has been in the shop since for 5 days this time and they cannot get the vehicle to start. Shop failed to put power loss issues on first issue on ticket, until it happened a second time on 07/02/2013 while I was in a school zone.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 222014

Dart

The ESC malfunction light illuminates daily. Periodically goes off and on.

- Philipsburg, PA, USA

Feb 272014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while the ignition was started, the ESC warning illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Sep 152012

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the electronic stability control warning light illuminated and the warning chime sounded. The contact also noticed constant jerking in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 500.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA