5.4

2014 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Dodge Dart:

2014 Dodge Dart Owner Comments

Oct 042016

Dart

Takata recall this 2014 Dodge Dart aero has now had multiple problems with the clutch and axles. It is currently in the shop to have the slave cylinder for the clutch as well as the axles fixed for the second time in 2 years. They are also in the process of checking in to why the check engine light came on for the mass air flow sensor. This makes 2 times that it has gone to the shop for clutch and axle issues. They also don't know what the real problem is for the check engine light. I have asked them to buy the car back and they wont. They also stated that I may be having to pay some out of pocket to get my car fixed this time. This car is nothing but problems. Like I mentioned before; twice for the clutch and axles, the engine light is on for a reason they don't know other that they think it is the mass air flow sensor, the third time I took it to Dodge for an oil change they told me that no oil came out of the engine and then tried to explain to me that my engine was "known" to do that. Now I have just gotten off the phone with the manufacturer customer service and they replied with they will cover all the costs except for $100. Seems kind of odd to settle on that amount. Plus they wont buy it back. Therefore, this car is known to have clutch and engine problems and Dodge expects me to drive around not having to worry about if my life is at risk. I should also mention that the tires that came on the car were faulty as well as I had to replace two of them already. The bands on the inside of the tire came loose and caused problems with the driving as well. This is junker car that I purchased new and Dodge could care less that it is falling apart.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Sep 102016

Dart

While driving my 2014 Dodge Dart, the clutch dropped completely to the floor board in between shifting from second to third gear making shifting impossible, while I was driving up a 2 lane hill in my neighborhood. There was no shoulder to pull over to at the moment the clutch dropped, causing me to have to reach down and grab it with my left hand. I was unable to re engage the clutch, thus stayed in second gear until I reached the top of the hill where a shoulder became available. I gently used the brake to slow the car down while in the shoulder until the care stalled out. After sitting in the care for several minutes I tried to start my car but was unable to because of the clutch resting on the floor board, I was able to pull it up with my hand and upon release it would fall back to the floor board. After several more minutes the clutch seemed to correct itself, letting me stat my car and resume my trip home, approximately 1 mile further. While continuing my trip, the clutch seemed to loose "pressure" and had to press the clutch completely to the floor board in order to shift. This is the second time this issue has com up, the first time being repaired in July 2015.

- Highland, CA, USA

May 162016

Dart

I bought a brand new 2014 Dodge Dart aero and about 3 weeks after purchasing my car stalled and shut off, the transmission light came on. I took it to Dodge and they said they did not have a code but they saw an issue with my anti-lock brake system. A part to my transmission was recalled, we waiting for over 3 months for the part and upon bringing my car to the dealership they reported my car not starting. About 3 weeks after my transmission recall was "fixed" my engine starting smoking upon starting the car at least 5 times and my engine was completely replaced, they again reported my car would not crank. My car was in the shop for 27 days, two days after picking my car up it was brought back to the dealor for the car feeling like the transmission was slipping at various speeds. It's been almost 2 weieks with no update. Dodge resolutions has sent an inspector. Initially the car was purchased with about 220 miles on it, the car is only at 17,000 now.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jan 302015

Dart

After driving the vehicle for more than 15 or 20 minutes, when accelerating from a stop the vehicle shifts erratically causing the vehicle to jolt and occasionally stall. It feels as if the vehicle is trying to downshift before returning to the appropriate gear. Proceeding forward or turning makes no difference. I contacted the dealer about this over a year ago and was told the oil needed to be changed. I contacted the dealer again this week after seeing that the vehicle was potentially part of a national recall but was told I could bring the vehicle in to service but it was not part of the recall (the make, model and date of manufacture match the recall data but since the VIN isn┐T specifically listed as being recalled on the safecar.gov web site it was not covered). This has been occurring since approximately 6 months after purchasing the vehicle and continues until this day.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Mar 252016

Dart

Driver's side rear wheel bearing shot after 39,000 miles. Loud humming noise when driving on the highway at first. I drove on it for a couple weeks and the noise got louder. I jacked the car up one day and the wheel wiggled a pretty significant amount. Replaced both rear bearings in my driveway after calling the dealership and having them tell me the parts were not going to be covered under warranty.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Feb 012016

Dart 4-cyl

2014 Dodge Dart. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission control module malfunction. The consumer received a recall notice regarding the transmission control module. The consumer stated he experienced an issue when shifting from drive to neutral, even before the recall was announced. The consumer was informed the part was not available.

- China Grove, NC, USA

Jun 022014

Dart

I take mi car to the dealer wen I first buy new more than 15 times and they found nothing and this car it's continue with problems in normal daily drive. Idle problems in the engine suspension noise transmission shifting not normal in drive position tires wear to fast exhaust smell fuel to strong in engine cool temp all this happen in stationary and driving in motion and normal drive is happen all the time

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Oct 122015

Dart

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Dart. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Dart

While driving I began stopping at a stop sign the car lost power /stalled. The radio /dash board remained on. No lights to indicate there was a problem came on...it took three tries before the car would start. I took it to the dealership where they told me there is nothing they can do. This is the first time it happened to me I bought the car used in August 2015 and it is now November 2015 it has about 21000 miles on

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Nov 132015

Dart 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed. The gear shifter light illuminated in red, causing the vehicle to jerk. The engine light also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a failure code was located at the transmission control module. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 02/05/16 the consumer stated the control module on the transmission was replaced. Updated 02/16/16

- Poterville, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Dart

The vehicle has a manual transmission. My vehicle revs when attempting to shift it. The clutch will be completely up and the vehicle will still rev as if it is engaged. At this point there is nothing that can be done until it stops revving. It also grinds and clatters when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear. Very rough shifting and sometimes experience a burning smell after its driven.

- Winamac, IN, USA

Jun 102013

Dart

While driving clutch will lose compression making it difficult to shift without grinding gears. Clutch will go all the way to the floor and inhibited you from shifting. I have had to shift into neutral to slow down hoping the clutch regains compression in order to shift into appropriate gear. This also inhibits proper acceleration when shifting gears.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Apr 042015

Dart 4-cyl

Purchased a 2014 Dodge Dart used with a 6 speed. This incident happened just three weeks after I purchased it. I noticed it started to slip and while driving down the highway I heard a noise, car lost power and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. I had it towed to the dealership where I was informed that something failed in the clutch, blowing a hole through the transmission. This all happened within a minute or so while driving at highway speeds.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Mar 032014

Dart

The clutch pedal would stick to the floor in cold weather. Would easily stall because of poor engagement. Sometimes the car would buck or stutter because the clutch would not be able to effectively engage. Sometimes the vehicle would stall on engagement and have to sit for several minutes before the engine would start. After an attempted repair to the clutch hydraulics by corwin the clutch still has slop in it and poor worksmanship was found at another dealer. The transmission is now noisy and makes loud clunking or whining noises when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. The clutch will still partially stick to the floor in severe cold and is not safe to drive.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Jan 012015

Dart

Went to shift from park into reverse and it didn't shift. Dash said R. tapped the gas and still it didn't go. Tried 4 times from park to reverse before auto transmission caught with a bang. First time it happened around 16K+ miles it's happen two mornings now.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 122014

Dart

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 10 mph, the clutch became stuck in the downward position and the gear shifter was stuck in first gear. The contact had to depress the clutch completely down to the floorboard to loosen the clutch, followed by aggressively pulling the gear shifter to get it out of first position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Stoughton, MA, USA