2014 Dodge Dart steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Dodge Dart:

2014 Dodge Dart Owner Comments

Aug 282014

Car wouldn't start had to replace the starting harness within the first 3 months of owning the car had to replace two batteries even after the harness was replaced but hasn't happened since. Had to replace the turbo hose assembly from pulling in oil and cracked since the oil was hot. Now im having to put in a quart of oil in it every month and I change my oil every two and half months (5,000 miles) so my engine is burning the oil off to quickly (oil consumption). Also drove hit a very small pothole and had my driver side control arm snap very very cleanly and was told that it wouldn't be covered under any warranties.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 272016

That vehicle just shuts off has I'm driving

- Southampton, NY, USA

Feb 142016

I was driving down a side street about 15 miles per hour I heard a noise and I suddenly could not steer, I was forced to hit a curb and the wheel caved in and the car had to be towed. My insurance will not pay for the control arm that broke stating Chrysler should pay for the defective part that caused the accident, Chrysler will not pay for the part either. This was not my fault and I need help the car was in motion as I was driving on a city side street.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Nov 022014

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, there was a cracking noise coming for the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred numerous times. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 37 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes failed. The contact crashed into the rear driver's side of another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 14,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 012014

In mid 2014, I was driving that year's model of a Chevy Dart, rented from enterprise while visiting friends in Arizona. Along hwy 17, the engine had shut off briefly. The interior electrical was still on, but power steering and brakes were gone. The exterior lights shut off, but I remember the cabin still had power because I quickly turned on the hazards. I believe it was a plastic turn-key, and it being reignited, that allowed me to regain control. It was a steep, windy road. It was about 10 at night and there was a lot of darkness without headlights.there was a big rig in the next lane in front of me, and heavy vehicles to the rear. It was definitely a close call.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Apr 082015

July 14th 2014 I bought a Dodge Dart VIN 1C3cdfeb3rd63413. The car was properly maintained. Did not have problems with the car. While driving on May 8th 2015. On I-75 going about 70 miles per hour with thick flow of traffic. I heard and felt something crack on the front driver side of my car, under my feet. The car immediately pulled left and hit a concrete barrier wall. The car then bounced off a Toyota prius. I landed in the ditch on the right side of the highway mile marker 299 in pasco county Florida. My first complaint is whatever broke to cause the accident. Which I cannot be specific about because I don't know if it was the axel or what yet. Taking note that no one was hurt. My second complaint is that not one of my 6 "advanced"safety airbags deployed in my cab after hitting two objects at that speed. As to why I do not know what broke yet. I called for Dodge roadside service, I was picked up and rode with my car to the nearest Dodge dealership. Jim browne citrus Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, in dade city. This dealership did not have a body shop. I was told by the manager at the dealership my car would be towed to the body shop they used. As my car was under warranty and the accident report reflects mechanical error. After this day I would not see or know where my vehicle was for 46 days when the towing company called me about storage fees for my car that we couldn't locate.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jun 252015

Dart 4-cyl

While driving on a local street (under 30 miles an hour), I lost control of my vehicle and the tire exploded. I tried to regain control and the car jumped the curb. My daughters and I was shaken up really bad. Had I been on the high way it would have been a completely different story. I have the dealership investigating it now.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Dec 132014

Dart 4-cyl

Our daughter was driving our three-week-old Dodge Dart. It began smoking as she exited the highway and, within seconds, she lost her ability to brake and steer. The car was completely engulfed in flames within 1-2 minutes and is a total loss. She was able to get out without physical injury but was extremely shaken. The fire department put out the fire. We can provide pictures of the fire, showing the flames shooting many feet into the air and the car encased in smoke.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Nov 012014

Noise produced when steering, caused by a strut mount that isn't properly sealed against moisture. Seems to be a common problem. A user on the Dodge Dart forums found a fix, but the issue still remains that the strut cap is not properly sealed, and no amount of replacing it will fix that without fixing the issue. For details on the fix: The issue is that the cowl plastic grill drips right into the strut mount, there is a cap there but it is not a water tight sealing cap. This allows the strut mount center, where the nut is, to flood and corrode. This rusts the strut mount bearings together and prevents them from spinning freely thus causing the rubber to rubber contact and moaning sound. If the mounts are not too badly rusted you can dry up all the water, apply a liberal amount of WD40, pb blaster or whatever you prefer, let it soak and then just turn your wheel from lock to lock. Clean the little cap and apply a small bead of silicone around the cap, install it and let it dry. This will create a water tight seal and prevent the strut mount damage so there needs to be a new part that addresses this issue, and a recall on all of the old parts because otherwise the strut mounts will rust and eventually fail.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 052014

Dart 4-cyl

The power steering abruptly went out during a soft turn into a parking spot. The instrument cluster showed the power steering warning light and displayed that there was a power steering fault in the message center. This changed steering dynamics mid-turn and nearly caused an accident. This has happened again since the first incident and only seems to occur during low-speed cornering. Normal steering operation always returns next key cycle. No fault code is saved and the dealer has so far been unable to replicate or repair this issue. This is one of several safety defects with this car.

- Fargo, ND, USA