2005 Dodge Grand Caravan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 142016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. After refueling the vehicle, the engine started and stalled. The oil warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 302015

Grand Caravan

Smelled raw gasoline smell outside of vehicle after running vehicle. Occurred on two occasions on Aug 23, 2016. Looked under vehicle on 8/30/16 and saw and felt liquid fuel on fuel tank in vicinity where fuel pump goes into gas tank. Leak occurs when ignition is in the on (running) position. Did online research and found that others have had same problem with fatigue cracks in plastic top of fuel pump, where fuel hose attaches. When key turned on and fuel pump is pressurized, fuel begins to leak through the hairline crack. Dangerous, as muffler and exhaust pipe are located less than one foot from the source of the leak!! took vehicle to repair facility, who determined fuel pump module was leaking as described above. Cost over $500 to have new pump installed, even though the old fuel pump was still working, though leaking.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Aug 192016

Grand Caravan

Every time I fill up the vehicle with gas, it stalls every time within the first few minutes, last week daughter was merging into traffic when it happened and almost got rear-ended. This has been happening for a while now. Last winter I wasn't able to fill the vehicle, the pump kept shutting down but that went away after the weather warmed up.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Jun 012015

Grand Caravan

Van stalls after fueling. Every time you fill up the van, the van will stall for no reason. It will restart within a minute or 2. it will then have no problems until the next fill up. Reading reports on the web, this is happening on all Dodge and Chrysler vehicles even causing some to stall on train tracks. Never had a problem with the van until I hit around 100K miles. All other reports on the web are identical. Chrysler Dodge should recall before someone dies

- Acworth, GA, USA

May 242016

Grand Caravan

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan stalls after refueling. This issue has been happening for about 3 years when the fuel tank gets low and then refilled. Most of the time the stall happens shortly after refilling and I come to a stop light or stop sign. There have been few occasions where the Caravan has stalled while in motion while travel under 20 mph. I can usually restart the Caravan immediately after the stall. The only solution from online forums seems to be to replace the fuel tank and purge the valve and charcoal canister of any raw fuel. Seems like a common problem within similar models.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 022016

Grand Caravan

Car will stall a couple of times after filling up tank probably will go away after driving a couple of blocks

- Patterson, CA, USA

Nov 282015

Grand Caravan

Everytime the van is refueled, it will stall on acceleration. This occurs for the first few minutes after refuel and then the van returns to normal operation. The problem is the failure usually occurs when pull out on the road because that is the first point of acceleration.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 032015

Grand Caravan

Last night - for the 4th time now - after filling the tank at the gas station, my car just died. The first 3 times it was when I stopped at the stop sign leaving the gas station parking lot. Last night, it was after I was out on the main road and in heavy traffic. It was stop and go rush hour traffic, so I was thankfully only going approx 15-20 miles an hour. Power steering was lost, brakes were practically non existent. Barely managed to pull off into a parking lot and was able to set the parking brake to finish stopping. Once stopped and in park, was able to start it right back up. Every time this has happened it has been right after fueling up. I never thought much about it the other 3 times, but this time was different, and very dangerous. I was almost hit from behind because I instantly lost power, then I almost hit another car to my left because of the unexpected loss of power steering. I could hardly manage to get into the parking lot and almost hit the curb/sign/another car. Was scared to drive home the rest of the way. Now after reading the other posts here, I'm afraid to ever get gas again!!! this is unacceptable obviously know about this problem and do not care about your customers. Well, this is one customer you will never have again. I'm in the market for a new car, and guess what will not be sitting in my driveway ever again?

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Sep 242015

Grand Caravan

Filled up with gas, drove about 2 mins, slowed to turn left at intersection with stop light. My minivan then stalled while in the middle of the intersection. This is the third time the car has died after fueling. I replaced my battery and alternator upon recommendation by local auto parts store, but the problem persists. Dodge dealer service technician says "it's a common problem and being investigated" and said I need a new gas tank due to a bad valve and recommended replacing the fuel pump and filter while doing the maintenance, over $1000. I dread getting gas and won't let my wife drive the kids in the van anymore. It's a death trap waiting to happen.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 272015

Grand Caravan

Turned vehicle on, vehicle would not turn over at first, like it wasn't catching. Upon second try to turn over engine it did finally turned over and vehicle was running. That's when I noticed a strong smell of gas on the driver's back passenger side. Inspected undercarriage and noticed what appeared to be fuel had run down tank and was slowly dribbling. There was a small puddle of fuel on ground directly where dribble was. The family was on the way home from being out of town and we decided that we would drive it home before dealing with issue. Once vehicle was brought home I pulled fuel pump out of gas tank and noticed small hair line cracks. They appeared to look like dirt or dust had just settled into a "seam" of where the two parts of the plastic/material met, but was in fact a hair line crack. The fuel pump was leaking. The new fuel pump has currently been ordered and I will replace it first thing in the morning. The mileage on the van is at around 137,000 miles. This just seems to be pretty important as it's leaking fuel which is a potential fire hazard.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Mar 212015

Grand Caravan

After filling the fuel tank up, the vehicle stalls, stutters, or shuts down after entering into traffic. After it does shut down, it is typically difficult to restart. The type of driving environment does not matter - city/community stop and go traffic or highway speeds for extended periods of time. After the vehicle is restarted, we do not have a problem again until the next time the vehicle needs to be refueled. The gas tank, fuel filter, and fuel pump were all replaced by the dealer prior to 100,000 miles to eliminated a high pitched whine coming from the fuel tank area every time the fuel level dipped below half a tank. Most of the time, the vehicle decides to stall or shut off as we are accelerating to join traffic - leaving from the gas station. On multiple occasions we have almost been hit from behind because the vehicle just stops. The exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, upstream and downstream O2 sensors have all been replaced with oem/manufacturer standard parts.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

May 132015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the fuel tank was cracked and caused fuel to leak outside of the vehicle. As a result, there was a strong fuel odor inside and outside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was a hairline fracture that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Upper Malboro, MD, USA

May 092015

Grand Caravan

The vehicle stall immediately after 1st startup fill up of the gas tank. The steering locks and car engine hesitates and dies. After waiting couple of minutes, the car will start up and not have the problem until next refill of the gas tank. I never overfill the gas tank. The problem is similar to an existing recall on 19 gallon gas tanks on Dodge chargers.

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan

After I fill up the gas tank the van stalls within a couple of minutes. This has happened numerous times and has almost caused several accidents.

- Weston, FL, USA

Apr 232015

Grand Caravan

Vehicle stalled out at the stoplight after I had filled up the gas tank. I took the van into the Dodge dealership and was told that I needed to replace the whole gas tank.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Mar 202015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After refueling van, started vehicle and pulled away from pump driving onto the road applied throttle and engine died without notice just shut off. I am a technician have been for a long time and have seen this problem on many different makes and models the issue is the vent valve on my Dodge Grand Caravan its built into the fuel tank. Unlike my Dodge other brands like Nissan Honda etc.. actually take care of their customer. Had traffic been busy we could have been seriously injured if not killed.I've read so many complaints for this issue all blaming vent valve and I agree. Something needs to be done and the manufacturer held liable. Dodge already had this same issue on Chrysler 300 and a few other cars and they made a lifetime warranty for those fuel tanks its time they do the same for the vans.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 302015

Grand Caravan

I had noticed the smell of gasoline outside of my car a week or so before. My husband and I went to the gas station to fill up my tank. We pulled out on to a major road with traffic. The car began jerking and trying to stall. After a few minutes it was fine. Yesterday, I got gas again and pulled out with my kids in the car. The car started doing the same thing. There have been multiple reports of this happening. Please help before someone gets killed!

- Phx, AZ, USA

Jan 032015

Grand Caravan

On three separate occasions, the vehicle stalled after refueling. One instance occurred just after merging onto a freeway after refueling. The other two instances occurred in the parking lot of the fueling station after refueling.

- Cedar Creek , TX, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

From 2013 on, every time I fill my van up, whether half way or all the way, it stalls after going a few feet or sometimes further. It is completely unexpected. I have stalled in traffic, pulling into traffic or just sitting at a stop sign or light. Lately it takes two or three times to start up again. I have tried expensive gas and cheaper gas with same result. I was told by mechanic it would be a huge cost to fix so did not do anything about it. It is frustrating and is becoming dangerous as it is completely unexpected. This is also a problem that can only be shown to a mechanic at fill up. Most of the time I am told I am overfilling which is not the case.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Upon refueling the van stumble and stalls at various speeds. When vehicle stalls in traffic, the steering column locks. No longer in control, the driver and passengers are powerless to avoid roadside obstacles as well as other automobiles.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA