2008 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 292016

Grand Caravan

Tipm completely failed, locking my transmission in "limp mode" and also affecting doors and window controls. While driving on the hywy I loss speed instantly making it necessary to pull onto the median to prevent accident.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 022016

Grand Caravan

When driving the vehicle I've had the esp/bas and trac light come on and the vehicle will shut down. I've had it to the shop twice and they can't get it to replicate what it's doing. The car just shuts off--the power steering is gone, I can't accelerate or keep moving at constant speed. The car is completely off and control is barely possible. It can happen anywhere, including at stop signs, driving along the road, the middle of an intersection, which makes it a severe safety issue. This has happened multiple times both city and open road as well as when parking in a spot.

- Morningside, MD, USA

Mar 112016

Grand Caravan

While in motion, the van will completely lose power for no apparent reason. There are no warnings, strange sounds or any indicator that it is about to shut off. The car just shuts off--the power steering is gone, I can't accelerate or keep moving at constant speed. The car is completely off and control is barely possible. It can happen anywhere, including at stop signs, driving along the road, the middle of an intersection, which makes it a severe safety issue. Once it is in park, it can be restarted, usually aided by pumping the gas, and then it goes on as if nothing happened. However, shifting into park isn't always an option when you are driving in the middle of the road. The check engine light does not come on, so no error code is produced. It has been taken to a dealership service center twice, but the problem is intermittent and cannot be duplicated easily, so they don't know what to fix, tell us nothing is wrong and send us on our way. It is alarming that they don't give more urgency to finding a source, considering that the car turns off while driving. Our ignition switch/key have been replaced after the recall, which we were hoping was the cause of the problem, but it was not. It is still occurring. I have done an internet search and it seems that this problem is not unique to me. Other drivers are experiencing the same issue. Minivans often carry children in them. If this problem were to occur in a busy intersection, the results could be devastating. I urge you to seek a solution/source to this problem quickly! I wish we could simply go buy a new car to keep our family safe, but unfortunately, that isn't our reality, as we are still working to pay off this one, so we are hoping the problem will be researched and resolved promptly. You are welcome to use our van to do so!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Caravan

I was just getting onto the street and was just maybe going 10-15mph, when the vehicle traction control and stability control and ABS lights came on and increased acceleration and pulled to one side when the dash lights mentioned came on. Also sounded like brakes were being applied at same time. I was barely able to make it to dealer without being in am accident. The clockspring had to be replaced.

- Somerville, AL, USA

Nov 172015

Grand Caravan

I have had my car in many times for horn blowing, wipers and washers going, all lights going off at night ( I could have been killed) blower not working, car not starting, doors not closing. It has cost me several thousand dollars in repairs and the last time I was told the tipm computer would fix everything. The car computer was already replaced. The car was on the highway at 60mph and also at stop lights. This all happened over several years.

- Bethlehem, CT, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Caravan

Within the past several weeks on driving vehicle 2 block, my warning lights came on relating to esp and the traction control light indicating upon evaluation by a private mechanic that attention was needed in the steering column mechanism (air bags?), and traction control sensor "idiot" light appeared causing vehicle to grasp the pavement more than usual, my tires appeared okay, and I was advised that when the esp light comes on, traction control is automatic...please send me verification that this is a recall issue. I plan to have my vehicle towed by aaa to scott robinson Chrysler, Dodge in torrance and would request coverage of my rental vehicle for one week.

- Playa Vista, CA, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Caravan

Driving down the highway, engine stalled, horn was blaring with no way to turn it off, wipers at full speed and couldn't stop them, car wouldn't start back up. Engine light and gas light(not empty) are now on.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Mar 022013

Grand Caravan

A need a recall on tipm part which controls the engine which turns it on and off. Now a recall is due>becauase it is the issue with vehicle because now the ealerships are saying it is the issue or what is causing it to turn a Dodge owner of a Grand Caravan, from the time I brought the vehicle there were issues. First it started with the vehicle turning itself off and did start back. So the dealership fix it. Then it was the brakes and rotors on the front end. Fix, repair, issues again, then issues again. So many other issues with this van later on. But I decided not to complain to Dodge company.. boy do I regret it's been almost 4 years now, I still have issues with the engine cutting off while driving. This has gone on for awhile, then recall come out saying it's the engine switch, so now we are waiting on the it, still... when I have did some research and ask some people with computer knowledge on vehicles and they say by the engine cutting off while driving can cause issues with the tipm part (computer). I have taken it so many times to the dealership for this reason for the engine shutting it self off, they would brush it off it's the battery, got new battery then it happen again. Then took it back again, no engine light on, then they can't diagnose any issues. Now warranty is out.. still no part for the recall engine switch.... 2015. Now that the engine is still shutting it self off, dealership is now saying its the tipm part which is 1200. Or more... I believe it has been the issue the whole time, so Dodge needs to have a recall on this part before someone is kill... I worry about it happening to my family.I have three children. It's our only vehicle.. as of today still no part Dodge - no help from them. They need to have a recall on the tipm part before its to late.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Mar 242015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My wife was driving the minivan today around 6:45 am. She was dropping off our daughter to school. Her speed limit was 25 mph. 2 times, the traction stability control lit up in the dashboard. The engine stopped, brake was not working and steering wheel cannot be moved. Both times, she was able to turn on the hazard light to alert any vehicles behind her. Luckily she was not traveling fast and the vehicles behind her were slow. Both times she had to remove the key and reinsert it and restart the minivan. She was able to restart the minivan. This is the 2nd time that this happened. Our dealer have open appointments 6 days from now. This is a dangerous situation that others are also experiencing. Below is a link of complaints...

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Sep 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Engine shut off complete and hard to control the steering wheel and the brakes don't response at all and Chrysler group llc don't do nothing to fix the problem at all and I have over 5 month still paying the van and I can't drive at all.

- Vista, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My 18yr son was driving the van at highway speeds (65 mph) when he described a sudden inability to control the vehicle. The steering became hard to control and the brakes here hard to push. He thought the brakes had failed. Due to the inability to control the van he drifted into the passing lane where a car to the rear of him struck his rear quarter panel, causing his van to spin out of control. The vehicle spun and came to rest in the meridian. The police report stated" no evidence of brakes locking up" as there was no skid marks in the road way until the vehicle was leaving the road sideways. The air bags did not deploy. The damage to the vehicle includes substantial front, side and rear panel damage the front and rear tires are out of alignment, exhaust pushed up into rear quarter panel and the force caused the battery to slide out of place. The engine warning lights were all on to include the air bag light. We called Chrysler because we saw the recall on line. Meanwhile 5 days after the accident we received the recall notice in the mail stating it was fine to drive the can until the recall was performed.they sent an investigation team to examine the van and determined the brakes were at fault. However the brakes were new including rotors 2 weeks prior and upon having my own inspection done the brakes were found in working order, no warped rotors or burnt pads that would suggest a brake lock up at 65mph, tires(snow tires as my son was heading to college in northern Maine ) are in good condition with no evidence of flat areas (as one might expect with brakes locking up) we had engine diagnostics checked and found an yaw warning at the time of the accident with no other engine codes noted. All engine lights were lit up at the time of the accident much like what happens when you shut the ignition off while the vehicle is in motion only to reset upon normal restart.

- Dedham , ME, USA

May 052014

Grand Caravan

Wife was driving around 40 mph when traction control light came on and she lost power steering and brakes. She was finally able to stop in the middle of the intersection, luckily there was no car coming. She then turned the van off and restarted and everything was fine. She said she is never driving it again because it is unsafe. Last year we had the tipm replaced after the seemingly common problem of horn honking, windshield wipers going and solvent spraying randomly several times. Not sure how Chrysler can get away with having all of these life endangering issues without having recalls and fixing them. But what I do know is we will never buy a Chrysler product again.

- Burt, MI, USA

Apr 162014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On occasion the vehicle will set of a signal alarm and display esp bas brake ABS and the esp symbol will illuminate - also the panel lights will flicker. I will also feel a very slight hesitation on my forward motion. It does not always happen - but always while vehicle was just starting to heat up.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate in atlanta, my vehicle ABS eps bas and esp light came on. At this time I was unable to use cruise control. Now it comes on intermittently and slows my vehicle down at odd times. I have taken it to the mechanic and they say they don't see anything wrong with it. I travel a lot and would hate for this to happen to me again especially with my children with me.

- Eastman, GA, USA

May 182012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving down the road the car loses complete power--steering, brakes. Electronic stability/traction control light comes on. Very scary/dangerous situation. I am usually able wrestle it to side of road without any power steering or power brakes. After getting the van to a stop and shutting off the ignition, the van will fire right up and not have any problems for a few days. Then it happens again. I have had it in the shop numerous times to try and diagnosis. No luck.....I've replaced batteries, wheel bearings, you name it. Any advice"????"

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Caravan

Electronic stability control turns itself off and on at random. Warning light esp/bas illuminates and esp is turned off automatically. This light turns on and off at seemingly random times. Dealer is not sure why wants to charge me to start changing parts it is not sure are broken.

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my vehicle headlights turned off as well as the engine. The windshield wipers turned on high even though they were in the off position. The car horn was engaged and I had no control over the function of the systems. I was able to start the car but the light would not come on etc. Even with the key removed and the exiting the wipers, horn, hazard lights still were engaged. The car started to spray windshield wiper fluid as well. The locks would unlock and lock as well. Eventually approximately 10 minutes it stopped. I was able to stared the car and moved it to a safe location. I took video of the incident. I am highly concerned as this seems to be a recurring problem based on my research and there definitely could have be a fatality last night!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

May 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After accelerating from a stop light to a speed of approximately to 40 mph, the electronic stability control light illuminated on the dash board. The vehicle lost acceleration power and would not go over 20 mph. After loss of power, driver noticed power steering and brakes were inoperable. Driver was able to turn off busy road without incident and glided to a stop. Driver turned off vehicle and restarted. After restarting vehicle, it appeared to operate normal. Vehicle was driven to dealer immediately for diagnosis and repair.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Dec 182012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I am experiencing electrical problems with the 2008 Grand Caravan. The van cuts off while moving. The lights blink. The radio suddenly turns on. Sometimes the doors will not unlock. The problems all appear to be related to the computer malfunctioning in the van. The may cause an accident if the van loses power and control while driving.

- Advance, NC, USA

Nov 052012

Grand Caravan

Received "safety recall L01" to replace the occupant restraint controller module (orc). The L01 recall was performed at Dodge dealership in daytona auto mall, daytona beach Florida where the vehicle was originally purchased. According to the procedure to replace the orc, the electronic stability dynamic sensor (esp) had to be removed and re-installed as part of the replacement for the orc. Vehicle was picked up and driven home that day. The next day the vehicle was started and the esp, bake assist sensor (bas), and traction control sensor lights appeared on the dash. Returned vehicle to Dodge dealer to verify that this was not caused by the recall procedure. Dodge dealer checked ABS codes and said the steering angle control /clock spring sensor was defective, and would cost $500 plus to fix. All these components are connected to the ABS system. I just cannot believe that one day after the L01 recall was done, that another component of the ABS system failed.

- Port Orange, FL, USA