7.9

1. replace pads & rotors (34 reports)
  2. replace brake pads (30 reports)
  3. replace calipers, rotors & pads (19 reports)
  5. Dodge refused to cover the cost & lost customer forever (10 reports)
  6. Dodge fixed without charge!! (4 reports)
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 162014

Grand Caravan

This was the third time the brake pads, rotors or calipers were replaced. The next time after the initial brakes and rotors were replaced, the caliper stuck to the point where someone on the highway followed me off the ramp because of the smoke coming from my car. When I called the dealer for emergency service, they claimed it was a different issue and not covered. Never went back to that dealer.

Then last year brought it to nationwide brake company only to have issues 8 months later. I brought it to the local service center where most people in town bring their cars. When they went to flush the brake fluid they realized the it was not holding pressure. It took a Ford Service center to realize this! Anyway the master cylinder needs replacing and hopefully this will end my brake issues for some time.

- , Madison, CT, USA

Jul 262011

Grand Caravan

Brakes getting done AGAIN! Replaced back brake pads. Cleaned up, and freed up the caliper slides. Now we have 95,667 miles on the van. 27,057 after having replaced all the rotors, and pads front and back with the top of the line pads.

No I AM NOT PART OF THE HAPPY DODGE FAMILY!!!!!! Yes, Dodge the 2008 Caravans do have a brake problem, plus several other problems!! Yes we have reported them!!! Yes you have denied to do anything about them!!!!! No this is not the end of my brake problems. I do know that brakes wear depending on how each person drives. Also if you do a lot of in-town driving, hauling heavy loads ect. I have 2 small children ( combined weight of the 3 of us 225#). I have put on 100,000 miles in just over 3 years, I do not do a lot of in town driving. I am 38 years old, and I have NEVER EVER had to replace breaks this many times!! So it is not my driving, it is the van.

No, I cannot afford to bring it to the Dodge service center for repairs every 6 months when they charge $100 to $200 above the others. I bring our other vehicles to our mechanic, and it is amazing, bakes were done 60,000 miles ago and they still work. I drive that vehicle A LOT because my van is in the shop!

Dec 152009

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L V6

Stock pads and rotors wore out on the front less that 30,000 miles. Backs were worn out by 35,000. Replaced with AutoZone pads and have lasted 40,000 more miles with no issues and should last another 40K+ miles. Problem was the cheap pads dodge put on to begin with. Do yourself a favor, and swap out the pads with aftermarket before they wear out and trash the rotors. The dodge pads are junk.

- , Johnston, IA, USA

Jul 042013

Grand Caravan

I heard an occasional grinding noise while stopping. After a few tests, my local mechanic said I needed new brake pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear. Make sure you catch this one early.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 222009

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

Brakes worn out and squealing. Repaired and returned to us. Sent back next day as it was vibrating.

- , Tecumseh, ON, canada

Sep 012012

Grand Caravan

Replaced my first set of tires at about 40,000. Had the alignment done at that time too. At 50,000 and about a year later the new tires (with only about 10,000 mile on them mind you) are already showing threads... not treads, but threads!!!!! Before that I had to have the front brakes replaced due to a recall (rotors and pads) at a prorated cost. Shortly after that I had to replace the rear rotors and pads at full cost from my own pocket. It was metal to metal! I've never had a car have discs go bad, ever! Mine is an 08, I'm easy on my cars. The rear brake light cowling fell off as I went over a railroad track. It is, by far, the worse new car I've ever owned. I'm done with dodge.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Jan 252013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Bought used with 96k miles, with new rotors,pads even new tires. Noticed awful mpg for the first 5k miles under 19mpg for highway, and about 8mpg in town. Always hearing a rubbing or dragging brake sound from the rear driver side. Dealership said that was good mpg, and was characteristic of this vehicle. Sad, because I have worked with various automotive manufactures as a technician and service writer and never had cars with issues like this unless they were over 20 years old and over 200k on the odometer. Now, with about 108k miles, front driver pads are down to bare metal, the passenger side has over 50%, moving to the back driver down to approx .07mm remaining and rotor is chewed to hell. going to the rear passenger side, about 70% remaining with minimal rotor wear present. After years of working on various cars, ATV, and motorcycles it is a "twin problem child". Calipers not retracting back enough and weak blend on the pads. I am now seeing if after market offers brembo or wilwood calipers for my van. If I have to up the sizes and get a larger tire/rims, maybe mopar might start doing the same. I don't drive erratic or race this van. It hauls my kids, wife and dogs in and around post. Taking trips out of town happens every few months, it shouldn't have to be a gamble if my van will do what its designed for.

- , Fort Hood, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Grand Caravan SE 3.9L

We bought this hunk of crap 2008 Dodge Grand-Caravan in 2010 with 60k. Nothing but issues with the brakes from day one. First it was front pads and rotors. (220.00) 4 months later rear pads and rotors (230.00) 6 months later Rear calipers dead, and front pads and rotors (370.00) I have never owned such a POS car in my life. Stay away from the 2008-2009 models. Both Chrysler and Dodge.

- , Scs, MI, USA

Feb 102011

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Heard grinding in front left rotor like metal on metal. Then noticed a deep groove in the rotor on the outside. Thought it very strange that the brakes would be wore out at this mileage (have a '04 CTS with 108k that have NEVER had the brakes changed!!!) Upon removing the brakes it turns out that there was a chunk of junk in the pad material itself digging into the rotor! I've done mechanic for over 40 years and never seen such a thing! Talk about poor quality! Where did Dodge get these worthless pads? I don't even think China would put their name on them! About 10k later my rear disk brakes went out! Unbelievable! My son has the same vehicle (with smaller engine) and his went out before mine did in mileage. Clearly, this is nothing more than some knucklehead trying to save a few bucks by buying CHEAP BRAKE PADS! Really Dodge? Don't skimp on BRAKES!!!! I replaced them with Wagner pads & now have 82k on the van with the pads still going strong.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 152011

Grand Caravan

We purchased vehicle with @ 15K miles in May 2010 - In January 2011 at @ 30K miles we had to replace the brakes and rotors the WHOLE WAY AROUND. I spoke with 3 mechanics who 1) said rotors at this low mileage was unheard of and 2) this was a known problem with Dodge Grand Caravans.

- , Beaver, PA, USA

Dec 072011

Grand Caravan 3.3L

Not normal to change all that after 45 000km. The car was used by my wife, not an F1 driver. This is not normal. Go for after market caliper and brake.

- , Repentigny, QC, canada

May 072012

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

To all of you in Canada that are having issues with your brakes at low KMs and are not getting satisfaction from your dealership - help me help all of us. Dodge is also giving me the run around about my rear brakes. This piece of crap has left us on the side of the road 4 times. Twice we have been saved by our CAA membership and have been towed home. First rear brake lock up at 33218kms (repaired by dealer), second at 35375 (repaired at different dealer), third time - had no other option but to let it cool down and drive it home and the fourth time the rear brakes locked on was at 76522kms and this is where it is sitting at in my workshop because Dodge is telling me that this is normal and I should get used to it.

We don't have a "lemon law" here in Canada but we do have CAMVAP (1-800-207-0685). When I called they actually listened and cared that I am fed up with Dodge. They couldn't do anything for me because I am over 3yrs or 60000kms but they did suggest calling TRANSPORT CANADA (1-819-994-3328) and filing a complaint. Made sense to me so I called and had a very positive discussion with one of their Defect Investigators. He listened and took notes and he also asked me if I would be willing to send him copies of all of my notes, work orders etc, etc pertaining to the brake issue. Of course I will. I will be scanning all of my paperwork and sending it to his email.

Now listen up fellow Canadians - let's stop whining about the issue and let's act on it and try to force Dodge to change their tune. We all need to post on sites like this one and we also need to contact TRANSPORT CANADA and tell them how pissed we are and why. They are our voice and if we prove to them that there is a definite problem then they can FORCE Dodge to recall our piece of crap vans. Then and only then can we sell them with a clear conscience and buy Honda's.

- , Pembroke, Ontario, canada

Jun 102010

Grand Caravan

Traveling with my two young boys, I heard an terrible noise as I stopped for traffic on the freeway in Ankeny IA. I pulled off the nearest exit and could hear my breaks grinding, it was 5pm. I found a Amoco that was open, and the guy stayed and repaired it. I had all the pads replaced 34,000 miles before this( with the really good ones that were still under warrenty). The pads were totally gone, I had to have front, and back, breaks, and rotors done. The back caliber was sticking, so he fixed that. I brought the pads home to return for the warrenty. The rotors were shot. $575. Now a total of $775 on brakes so far!Dodge denies that there is any problems with the brakes!!! I wonder if all the problems with the brakes heating up is causing the wheel bearings to heat up and go bad?? They did have to offer an extended warrenty on the wheel bearings.

May 022012

Grand Caravan

I bought this car from CarMax in November 2010. Took it to them in April 2011 to have the brakes replaces. I'm now told by Dodge dealership that they need replaced again and that I should expect to replace them every 8 to 9 months.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Jul 312009

Grand Caravan

We had to change the front and back brake pads 7 months after buying the van. I was frustrated, and it seemed unusual that we would need to change them so soon especially the back ones. Then months later we got a letter from Dodge that they extended the warranty on the brake pads up to 36,000 miles. Ours were not covered because we did not have them done at a Dodge repair shop. This is not the end of our brake problems, I will never buy a Dodge again.

Feb 232012

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

This is the second time I've had to replace the front and back brakes on my 2008 Caravan. I took it in at 10000 km to have the brakes looked at, but they said the brakes were fine. They went from being fine to being undriveable at 20000 km. I replaced the front brakes with lifetime warranty brakes and had the rotors machined. At 40000 km we had to do the back brakes. Now, at 85000 km we have to do the front and back brakes and replace the rotors completely. This is a $700 procedure as only the brake pads were covered under the lifetime warranty, not the rotors and labour. I already know that in another 20000 to 40000 km I'll be on the hook for it again because dodge won't recall this issue. And this is definitely a recall issue.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Aug 152008

Grand Caravan Cargo 3.2L

I thought it odd to have a brake problem so soon. (the right front brake pads grind off at an angle. Left front and rear brakes wear normally) But after the 19th time (Yes 19 times) it gets a little old. A normal question from my son is "What kind of rent car do we have this week?"

To date the pads have been replaces 19X , Rotors 5X, calipers 4X, slides 2X, soft hoses 2X, Hard lines 1X master cylinder 1X, ABS computer and pump 1X.

They said it must be the way I drive...... I will be happy to teach them how I can put my big toe on the peddle and grind off the right pads ONLY.

Could the steering knuckle been machined badly causing the slider to hold the caliper at an angle? The dealer refused to even think about that. Not very open to suggestions.

Believe it or not I like the van . Powerful motor, ok transmission, handles like a dream and it can handle the weight. But I don't think my boss will buy another Dodge.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jun 062011

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

My front rotors and pads have been replaced twice once at 16K miles, again at 35K. The rear brakes drag at seemingly radom times, however, mostly once heated up. After making a few stops the brake drag begins and then I feel the steering shutter from the front brakes pulsing. I don't experience the problems as much when I deactivate the ESP. So perhaps our problems are software or sensor component related??

I found this site while searching through thousands of caravan complaints. I'm looking for the real fix on the brake issue as pad, rotor and caliper replacements seem to make no difference permanently. So i'm asking if anyone has found the REAL problem perhaps the ABS wheel sensors, ESP system, TRACtion control system, master cylinder, brake booster, porportioning valves, caliper design flaw?, brake assist system? There must be a common factor.

Let me know your thoughts.

Update from Aug 16, 2012: I'm simply doing my own work at this point. I replaced the rear pads only even though the rotors are grooved. While making the change I removed the pins and used a nickel anti-seize to prevent the pads from hanging up. Also I made sure the tabs on the ends of the pads that slide in the caliper casting are coated with the anti seize. After that I have not experienced any rear rotor drag.

The front pads and rotors that were replaced with new oem parts have a wear pattern of 3 pads like new and the inside pad on the driver side wore to 3/16" of pad remaining!

So......if I swap all the rotors and pads with new replacements and use the anti seize...... perhaps they won't hang up??

In my opinion this problem has to do with the design. The anti seize will only work for so long until it will need to be reapplied.

- , Watertown, WI, USA

Sep 092011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

As with other Dodge Caravan. Dealer reported that front brakes worn out. I hardly noticed. They don't record the problems if covered under warranty. For example, when I use remote starter engine light is turned on. Alaso it doesn't work when I use in subzero temp. Compaint several times, they reset the light and report no problem. This is going on right after I bought the vehicle.

- , Milton, ON, Canada

Aug 012009

Grand Caravan

Brakes went out early leading to early rotor and tire replacement. Dodge sent a check to cover cost of brakes but never issued a recall.

- , Weirton, WV, USA