2011 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Jan 132016

Grand Caravan

Several times this winter my wife has went to start our vehicle and it would not start. This has resulted in missed time at work and kids missing school as well as 1 occurrence of being strained while out shopping. It seems to effect it mostly when really cold outside 30 or below. We have also had severe issues with the brakes. I have had all four brakes replaced twice and both front rotors as well as calipers replaced. The problem is that after a few minutes of driving (20-30 mins) the front passenger side brake drags causing a very strong metallic smell to enter through the air vents inside the van. My worry is that one day it will catch on fire and my vehicle will be lost in the fire.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Caravan

The vehicle of record has been spontaneously shutting off all day, it shut off 15 times in 1 parking lot, but the most dangerous aspect was when it shut off while I was doing the speed limit in a 50 and a 55 mph zone. It will generally shut off randomly, but primarily at stop signs or backing out of parking spaces, but there have been 3 instances where it shut off at 40 mph or higher in the last 8 hours, when these shut offs happen it takes 5-10 attempts to restart the car. When these instances happen the brakes and steering wheel lock up making it very difficult to stop and/or turn.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 162013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at approximately 70 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle jerked violently. The brake light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Grand Caravan

Previous owner of my vehicle described problems with brakes but said dealer fixed them. Have had to replace pads twice and now have grinding sound coming from front brake area. Car is under 45,000 miles. Have seen numerous complaints on brakes for Dodge Caravan on the internet. Why is Dodge not responsible for fixing the problem? brakes should not be wearing out this quickly. This is a costly problem and I think a recall is needed given the number of complaints I've seen.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Feb 172015

Grand Caravan

We have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. We are getting to the point that this van is not worth the stress. We did not get this van brand new however it didn't have many miles, if I remember right 62,000 on it. Less then a year ago we had to fix all four brakes and rotors (at 65,000 miles). Last week when it went for inspection (at 73600 miles) it wouldn't pass because of the rotors, so once again we had to get them fixed. We are on day 7 and are already seeing the same problem and knowing we will have to have them fixed again! I can tell by how the van is squealing that we are going to have to replace the brakes and rotors again soon. We have already spent over $1500 in the same repairs in less then a year. I have looked up Dodge vans and I see a lot of people are having the same problem. Seriously I have a family and if these brakes and rotors fail I will not be happy. I don't understand how there is no recall after finding so many complaints on the internet about this van.

- Airville, PA, USA

Jul 112013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When trying to stop or slow down, steering wheel vibrates so much it feels like I won't be able to hold onto it. My son replaced the rotor and pads on front brakes as they seemed worn. Then in April 2014 we took the car back to the dealer because brakes were grinding. They replaced rotor and pads and things seemed ok until may, when brakes started squealing and steering wheel vibrating again while braking.. took car back to dealer on May 21, and asked them to check brakes, rotate tires, and change oil. They said brakes were in the "green". still having vibration of steering wheel while braking, so I asked to bring it in for another check, and now they say the new rotors, (about 2 months old) show signs of significant wear. They asked me if I drove with both feet, and I do not. They verified my complaint of vibration in the steering wheel, and asked me to bring the car back in on this coming Friday. The brakes should not be wearing out this quickly...

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Excessive noise and steering wheel vibration during normal brake application.

- Elkhorn, NE, USA

Apr 132013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated as the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact stated that he had to slow the vehicle down in order to regain control. The contact also stated that a few weeks later, the brakes failed as he depressed the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that there was nothing wrong with vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 28,903.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Oct 192012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After owning the van about 1 1/2 years I noticed the brakes were hanging up causing overheating. I took the van in and they said it was dirt stickingto the calipers so the lubricated it up, but shortly after it did it again. At 56,000 kms I took it in because brakes dragging again and this time they said my brakes were wore out. I only drive highway and I am an instructor who teaches fuel efficiency which reduces wear on brakes. They put new brakes and rotors on the van and 100 miles later the front left wheel is overheating. There is still rattles in the brakes. I took the van in before summer started because on the passenger side air vent it would not go to cold, only hot. I took it to the dealer and they said Chrysler is aware of the problem and do not have an answer to the problem. I know another 2011 Dodge Caravan owner and he is having the same brake problem.

- Dresden, Ontario Canada, MI, USA

May 062013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the rotors failed, while driving approximately 55 mph. The rear and front end of the vehicle emitted a loud rattling noise when the brake was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The failure was located within the rotors which were warped and caused the brake pads to wear prematurely. The dealer replaced the rotors and brake pads. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 36,000.

- Gouverneur , NY, USA

Sep 282012

Grand Caravan

We owned a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and at 59,000 miles, it not only need new brake pads (which would be normal), but to our surprise it needed new rotors as the original ones were so warped they could not be used for the new brake pads. We were informed that the manufacturer had added an extended warranty for the rotors and would be covered under their extended warranty. After having other issues with the van, the life long dealer we work with talked us into trading for a 2011 Dodge Caravan, assuring that the brake and rotor issue had been resolved. It has been one year and the new van needed new brakes and rotors at only 19,900. I was informed that Dodge/Chrysler added an extended warranty (once again), but this time I got to pay a deductible of $50 (0-24,000 miles). If it happens again before 36,000 miles my deductible goes up. What, I get to pay for their poor parts purchasing? I have informed the dealer that this will be the last Dodge/Chrysler product I will own. They have tried to take care of us, but with no assistance from the manufacturer. Too bad that they do not want to provide a quality product for customers as this van is a great family vehicle, but would hesitate to put my grandchildren in it.

- Marshalltown, IA, USA