2011 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232016

Grand Caravan

My 2011 Caravan has 68K miles on it. For the past few months, it will intermittently have problems starting. Everything seems fine until you turn it to crank and then it just makes a click noise. It will do this anywhere from 2 to 20 times until it finally cranks. It will be fine for days and then suddenly... no start. I've left it at my mechanic for one week last month and one week this month. They replaced the battery, but no avail. They have seen it in action (actually came to me because they are totally stumped too), but cannot replicate it. So I'm out $800 in car rental fees and no one can figure out why the thing is acting like it is. I'm worried I'm going to be stranded with a hand full of kids and a car that won't start. I don't like feeling like I can't trust my car. Dodge has been unhelpful as well, although I'm giving the dealership a shot at this problem again and taking it there. Another week of rental car fees - yay! from reading online and a quick youtube search, it appears I'm not alone with this problem. I just want it fixed, whatever the problem is.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Grand Caravan

Would not start on several occasions. Purchased new battery. Took it to local mechanic. Almost put in a new starter but researched it first on the internet. Seemed like it was a faulty tipm. Called local Chrysler dealer and told them the issues. After a week, they said I needed a new tipm ($1200) and would not cover the cost. Said that they did not know anything about a tipm recall. I did not get it replaced. Called Chrysler customer care and they said that I did not qualify for a recall. I have driven Chrysler Dodge Caravan for over 25 years and I am greatly disappointed that they are not standing behind their product. They know that there is an issue with all the tipms in their vehicles and they only recalled certain makes and models. Meanwhile, I hold my breath every time I try to start my car. I am retired and cannot afford to replace that part for that price. I had this car as a company car starting in January of 2011 and purchased it from ari in July of 2014.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 312016

Grand Caravan

The van lost power while on the highway, it was towed to the dealership who said the tipm was bad.the car was moving on the highway when it lost power.this is very dangerous and needs to be recalled!Dodge has known about this problem but refuses a recall on the Caravan.

- Madison, MS, USA

Jul 192012

Grand Caravan

Well from the time I purchased the car I told the dealer about the ignition. The car speeding off while I'm driving in a regular street or highway. The warning lights doesn't warn. Enough is enough. Riding in the car in street yesterday once again the steering wheel locked in me in traffic and it shut down. No warning. So dangerous. There is no way there should be so many complaints about the same issues and they not have a recall and alternator actually fried and we could have been killed along with my children!!!! I'm scared. Im paying $500 dollars a month for a vehicle that is sitting and I can't drive. Please give hello me to get justice.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Jan 132016

Grand Caravan

Several times this winter my wife has went to start our vehicle and it would not start. This has resulted in missed time at work and kids missing school as well as 1 occurrence of being strained while out shopping. It seems to effect it mostly when really cold outside 30 or below. We have also had severe issues with the brakes. I have had all four brakes replaced twice and both front rotors as well as calipers replaced. The problem is that after a few minutes of driving (20-30 mins) the front passenger side brake drags causing a very strong metallic smell to enter through the air vents inside the van. My worry is that one day it will catch on fire and my vehicle will be lost in the fire.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Grand Caravan

Don't buy Dodge Grand Caravan 2011 to 2015 they have major problem with engine and transmission engine 3.6L making ticking sound fix it on warranty and after 40,000 miles I have same problem ticking from engine and the transmission in trafic jerking engine had recall on heads still has problems

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 182015

Grand Caravan

My vehicle had a defective tipm module in it. I first had to replace the battery then the altenator then the key fob and finally the tipm module. Looking back that all of the first repairs turned out not to be the problem. We had always noticed that at times the windows would automatically roll down and that the electric doors would suddenly open up. We never quite knew what it was until now. We replaced the tipm and it worked fine. After spending 800 dollars that I didn't real need to the tipm was another 1000 dollars. I've seen the lawsuit that is on going related to the very same problem I had in the Grand Cherokee and the Dodge durangos. My vehicle is list in the addendum to the lawsuit. I'm very frustrated I had to spend first 800 dollars that didn't fix the problem then the1000 dollars knowing they haven't had a recall yet after so many complaints regarding the same issues.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Aug 282015

Grand Caravan

I have been having problems with my van cranking. So I took it to my dealer.they changed the fuel pump and it continued to do the same thing. So they replaced relays. They kept my van for over three weeks, but claimed they never could get it to do anything. But every time I get in it in the morning it still does the same thing. When you turn the key to crank it, it continues to try to crank. But if you turn the key off then to right before it cranks, do this a couple of times then it will crank. I asked if anyone ever drove it to see if it did the same thing with them and they said no. Needless to say it is still doing the same thing and no one has bother to contact me to fix the problem. And my van has always had service at the dealership. I want my van back the way it was!!!!!!!!!!

- Oakland, MS, USA

Oct 272015

Grand Caravan

First I was told it was the battery then it was the alternator then it was the key fob. After all these repairs the Dodge dealership says now it's the timp module. This van only has 65000 miles. I have seen hundreds of complaints about the very same issues for customers with the same type vehicles. I have also seen the lawsuit and recall for defective timp from 2013 and 2014. My vehicle is one that was listed as an addendum lawsuit that may be affected by this module. This vehicle was purchased in Florida in 2012.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Oct 172015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Sep 242015

Grand Caravan

It began when the vehicle was about 6 months old, the windows would operate on there own, the electronic vehicle infromation center would change on it's own, and last month the vehicle would not always start, had to replace the tipm

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Aug 022015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. While in park, the vehicle failed to start. In addition, while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 022015

Grand Caravan

We have had our 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan for 2 years and approximately 30,000 miles. We had to have the tipm replaced in July 2015. We have had several instances that required a tow as the vehicle would not start or stay running. The tipm burned the fuel pump out and that was the last straw. The tipm was replaced under the after market warranty that we paid for but what other damage could this part have caused to our vehicle" it controls everything the car does for the most part. Will there be an investigation of the Dodge tipm" there needs to be a recall for all vehicles affected which seems to be quite a lot.

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Jul 072015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Apr 092015

Grand Caravan

I was driving approximately 30 mph and the vehicle just shut down, the powering steering went out and the engine stalled which we later found out was due to the faulty tipm. We had also been having a few issues with the fuel pump.....the fuel pump was not shutting off and all lead to problems with being able to start the vehicle sometimes it took several attempts to even get vehicle started.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. While the vehicle was parked, the engine and electronic throttle control warning lights illuminated and the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 169,000.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start and when it did it would run at a fast idle then it would go in to limp mode while driving on the road, leaving the vehicle with little to no power to move out of the way of traffic in the middle on an intersection when the vehicle went in to limp mode. Vehicle would lose all engine power while accelerating to speed at random times (making the vehicle bogs down) making the driver and any passengers get thrown forward and then be thrown back when engine power would come back. Vehicle was also giving me problems with the automatic side doors not opening and closing and the HVAC system would come on by its self at random times. The dealer replaced the battery (that I had to pay for) stating that was the reason for all of the problems I was having. After getting vehicle back everything was good for a few days then went back to doing all of the same problems within a few day of getting vehicle back form dealer. Took vehicle back to dealer for the 2nd time and they replaced the PCM (2nd time the PCM had been replace since purchased 12/31/2011) & throttle body (that I had to pay the deductible). Vehicle was still having the same problems so I took it back to the dealer for the 3rd time within a 18 day period. The service advisor told me that I could be the tipm but they would have to see it act up before they could replace the part, dealer told me that the tipm was the cause of all the problems. The tipm was replaced (had to pay for partial of the cost) and everything was working again. I feel that even with the tipm replaced that I could still have gotten a poorly made part as a replacement. I feel at time while driving that some of the problems are starting all over again, like the sliding door not working and the HVAC system turning on by its self. On 1/22/15 I had a fuel injector go bad and had to be replaced, maybe due to the tipm?

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

In August 2014 our Dodge Grand Caravan (2011) began having problems starting up immediately. This continued and progressively got worse as time went on. We were forced to try and coax the van to start by turning the ignition back and forth from accy (accessory) to start repeatedly, at times for up to 30-45 minutes before it would start. We experienced the van's engine shutting off for no reason at stoplights and in the middle of driving. At one point, the fuel pump would not turn off even though the van was off and the key removed from the ignition. We were forced to disconnect the battery every time we got out of the vehicle so as not to cause possible overheating of the fuel pump. Once the fuel pump stopped running we were unable to start the van at all, leaving my stranded in my vehicle until I could be picked up. Because this is our only vehicle we were forced to get the tipm replaced which cost $1114.68.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jan 142015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled 6 times while traveling on expressway 70-75 mph, lights going on and off...loss of power steering and brakes when stalled. Took vehicle to dealership who could not duplicate. They had been conferring with Dodge representative who after 1 week stated to give vehicle back to customer. After extensive research I feel it is a faulty tipm, however Dodge apparently does not think so. So I have a vehicle that can stall at any time...Dodge knows there is a problem and they just don't care. I will say the dealership was great, free loaner car, no charge for diagnostic and they genuinely felt bad to hand the car back over...I did not buy my vehicle from this dealership, however they treated me as if I was a customer of theirs.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Nov 242014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine seized. The vehicle was able to be restarted 10 minutes later. The contact believed that the totally integrated power module malfunctioned. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the totally integrated power module needed to be replaced. However, the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA