3.8

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Aug 242016

Grand Caravan

As I was driving home on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at approximately 4:45 pm. As I was driving South on fairview in downers grove, il my vehicle started to jerk and at one point, I thought someone hit the trunk. I began to worry as there was a lot of cars in front and next to me. The vehicle's RPM started to go crazy and then as I pressed the gas the car was not moving, it was extremely difficult for me as I was alone. I then put my hazards on because I had to try to get to a safe place. After about 30 minutes, I managed to move my car into the parking lot of a cvs but not before it shut off on me. I had to wait for 1 hour before the tow truck came and he took me to the jack phelan dealership in countryside, il. My car has been there since then. I have a rental for 7 days but after that I have no car. I just want to know what Chrysler can do for me as I am not able to have my car because of the faulty transmission. The dealership communicated to us that this transmission should have been recalled and they will do what they can to remove them from the shelves. At this moment, I have no documentation but the dealership can be contacted, jack phelan Dodge, 5859 S. lagrange road, countryside, il 60525 (708) 352-5300. I would like someone to contact me and I will definitely be contacting Chrysler corporation to see if there is anything they can do for me.

- Countryside, IL, USA

Aug 252016

Grand Caravan

I had been having problems with the keyless entry not allowing me to unlock the vehicle multiple times. Then on a few occasions the vehicle wouldn't start and all the lights would flash on the dashboard. There was nothing wrong with the battery because I replaced that several times in the first months of financing the vehicle. The last incident when it stopped working I was driving and the vehicle began to slow down on its own, all the lights on the dashboard flashed, the vehicle powered off, I couldn't switch the gears, the brakes locked, and the steering wheel locked as well. Luckily, this didn't cause an accident but the vehicle did stop. I had it towed to the dealer who informed me that the key fob and powertrain control module was not working. I looked it and apparently this has already been repaired in Jan 2013 before I financed the car and the vehicle must have still been having issues because I have had continual problems with it.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 142016

Grand Caravan

Over the past 5 months, vehicle disengaging from park and into drive is clunky. Recently on a highway (vehicle in motion with children in the car), transmission would not shift out of 2nd/3rd. Vehicle was parked the rest of the day. Next morning it seemed to drive fine. Later same day shifting issue returned. Took it to a transmission specialist for diagnostic. Took it to the dealer. Vehicle is just over 100K miles (no longer under warranty). The solenoid pack was replaced. Vehicle was purchased new with 14 miles. PCM was recalled at 24K. Left side cylinder head replaced at 33K.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 162016

Grand Caravan

Transmission cooler line leaking at 70,000 mile. Leak caused fluid to get all over engine compartment

- Griffith, IN, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at any speed, the vehicle jerked and slammed hard when placed in gear. For the same failure, a local dealer rebuilt the transmission on August 4, 2014. The failure recurred after 4,000 miles. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact back to the dealer. The contact stated that the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 04/07/16

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 252012

Grand Caravan

1. vehicle drags to the right. 2. engine loses power at times 45mph and or 60 mph 3. it seems there is gear shift problem based on item 2. stevens creek Chrysler Jeep Dodge, 4100 stevens creek blvd, san jose, ca 95129 I have taken it to dealership several times and latest being: 8/20/2014 invoice #184949 mileage :6669 they did find the problem and did suspension repairs. They say they were unable duplicate problem of losing power - it seems they did not do test drive at all obviously from mileage record! I took it again with same complaint on 11/12/2014 and they say everything looks okay it is just road crowning on the right lane causes it. Again they could not find or duplicate loss of power and shifting. I am terribly afraid of driving this vehicle with family and friends even though mileage is less than 9000 miles in 3 years. Warranty expires on 7/21/2015. Please help me to resolve these issues and safety of driver and passengers.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

May 102013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Documented several times since 2013, this van has had problems with the following: Speedometer does not read, gauges do not read, windshield wipers turn on, all warning lights read, headlights do not work, A/C does not work; then all turn off randomly and intermittently turn back on and off again. In May 2014, the van had transmission issues where it would not shift out of low gear and driver had to twice shift into neutral and back into drive to shift properly. 6 repair attempts were made on the van beginning in May 2013 and ending in July 2013 with no success on repairs. The van was still under warranty so repair was free of charge. Replacement of the tipm was twice attempted but failed because of the faulty 2012 tipms. This van is used by rsvp, a federally funded nationwide non-profit, to Transport senior volunteers to their work sites. This van has the potential to put people into a dangerous crash and needs Chrysler to repair the tipms immediately.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 262014

Grand Caravan

Every morning I get into my vehicle, start it up and put the vehicle from park to drive it goes into drive rough..the vehicle has been at the Dodge service center on three occasions to try and fix this problem, the fourth service appt is scheduled for this Thursday, each time I was told nothing was wrong with the vehicle...I took the vehicle to a private mechanic to be inspected Aug 1st, was told by the mechanic that there is something wrong with the transmission, it is changing gears roughly...I have 18,515 miles on the vehicle and have had this problem since I bought it in 2012 brand new.

- Norwood, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Engine runs very rough, idles low almost dies at intersections. Does not have power when gas pedal is pushed down, looses power while driving as well. These vans have something majorly wrong with the engines and transmissions. Dodge needs to investigate and recall/repair these vans. They are hazardous. I cannot wait to be rid of mine before something happens to me and my four children. Doesn't sound like I'm the only one with the problems either. Maybe Dodge/Chrysler is going to be like GM and let people die before repair a minor part. Very disappointed in this vehicle. It will be my last Dodge purchase.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Apr 262012

Grand Caravan

There is a loud "thud" when it is put into any gear, and you can even feel it. Also, the transmission bogs down a lot and doesn't like to shift into gear when you are driving, it's very sluggish. It's been like this since we first tried it out. We even had it reprogrammed because there was some sort of service bulletin, and that didn't help at all.

- Berlin, NH, USA

Feb 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan been in the shop 3 times for transmission problems it's no good. I don't know what to do about this but, I don't want to keep on paying a car note for a car that is going to give out and any giving time. It's not going to last long. I want a new car free of charge.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

May 122012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Passenger side sliding door rattles as if open dealer replace door panel did not fix said left side taillight was cause replace it did not fix said manufacturer left brake clips off brake pads replace still rattles told know its my imagination also transmission problems mash gas easy to maintain speed have to keep mashing almost to floor before any thing happens then it drops down into passing gear almost making you rear end vehicle ahead of you sometimes on take off will start going then hesitate causing a possible crash situation dealer said transmission needed computer update this made it worst put two more update still not shifting right have made manufacturer aware have open star case with them still can not get problems resolve have parked van at 15685 miles I feel that its unsafe for my wife an grand kids to be in ! I have several mech drive it they say something wrong also.

- Roberta, GA, USA

Oct 152012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph the rpms increased and the vehicle decelerated. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 18,419.

- Buford, GA, USA

Sep 012012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that after shifting from reverse and into drive, there was a loud explosion sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics however, the cause of failure was not determined. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 11,000. The current mileage was 14,000.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 012012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit a loud noised when the gear was in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the computer, transmission and the reverse gear failed. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 11,083 and the current mileage was 12,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Nov 012011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I noticed a fluid leak in my driveway and based on the red color I eliminated the possibility that it was from the power steering because the reservoir was at the max level. I was later informed that the transmission side cover was leaking. I sent the vehicle to the dealer where dye was added and was informed that fluid was leaking in the area of the bell housing and the transmission would require disassembly to ascertain what the cause is.....updated 04/09/12.

- Newport News, VA, USA