2012 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 232016

Grand Caravan

My 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan showed a check engine light at 67,000. I checked the code to fnd out P0303 is a engine misfire. Could be ignition, plug, or valve-cylinder compression. I had the engine serviced and the light goes out. The next day the light comes back on. I return the vehicle for service to investigate the check engine light. Further investigation reveals there is a bad compression on cylinder 03. I take the vehicle to Dodge and they could have told me up front that the right cylinder head is not covered under the extended warranty from Chrysler. They take my car into service and find a leak on cylinder 04 also. They gong to replace the left cylinder head but not the right cylinder head with the same identical problem. I am looking at $3500 if I choose to replace the right cylinder head. This extended warranty should cover the defect no matter which cylinder head is defected. My wife loves the car. She wants another one. I told her that because of this issue we would be right back here in 4 years with another 3.6L V6 pentastar engine. I am torn. Do I trade the issue back to Dodge and get a 4.0L V6 pentstar. I have almost paid it off. This sux great times flushed down the drain because of a engine defect. I love it but I have leave it. Toyota here I come.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Nov 152016

Grand Caravan

I have continuous problems out of this vehicle, sensors, and the vehicle down shifts regular on a strait way, and up slight hills, loses speed, extreme loss of fuel mileage

- Silver Lake, IN, USA

Dec 072016

Grand Caravan

The vehicle just stalls while driving. This was the case yesterday and today. I have to put it back on park in order to re-start the engine. The latest instances are not the first time we experienced this problem. My wife reported it at least a couple of times. The dealership once told me that was probably caused by the weight of the key ring and with other things attached to it. Since then, I make sure to drive with only the Dodge key on the ignition, taking down all everything else from the key ring.

- Rodeo, CA, USA

Sep 272016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at low speeds, the vehicle caught fire. The contact was not injured. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not towed to a local dealer. The contact called 911 when the vehicle burst into flames. The battery was disconnected on the scene. The vehicle was taken to a local body shop the following day, but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Hartland, MN, USA

Sep 202016

Grand Caravan

My daughter made an attempt to start the vehicle, one night after community theater rehearsal, to drive home and found the vehicle would not start and she heard random relays chattering throughout the vehicle, had the windshield wipers move, the instrument panel lights flickered on/off along with displaying error codes of: "no fuse" and "no bus". the fuel pump could be heard running, even with the key off and she said the van acted like it was possessed. Based on online information, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, which was listed as a top culprit in the problem and that solved nothing. Further research indicated the tipm unit is most likely the cause and we found that her make/model of vehicle is part of a lawsuit for this problem.

- Archer, FL, USA

Sep 182016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 35 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated and the temperature gauge showed that the vehicle was very hot. In addition, the electronic throttle control indicator illuminated. After pulling the vehicle over to the side of the road and allowing it to cool down, the contact checked the coolant and noticed a sludge like substance instead of coolant. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Aug 252016

Grand Caravan

Very loud ticking noise from engine cylinder heads, causing engine hesitation and misfire. Fortunately I have not gotten stock on the road butbi feel is about to happend.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 252016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 40 mph, the engine block (connection rod) fractured. The contact was notified by bystanders that smoke was coming from the tailpipe of the vehicle. The contact pulled to the side of the road to immediately check the vehicle. The contact noticed smoke underneath the hood, underneath the vehicle, and from the exhaust pipe. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 47,249.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and restarted properly after the contact started the ignition. The failure only occurred when the vehicle was started for the first time during the day. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Toppenish, WA, USA

Aug 142015

Grand Caravan

Bought car with an extended warrantee. Check engine light came on and codes show that mis-fires were happen in right side of engine. After engine was inspected debris was found in the engine and mechanic thought it necessary to replace the engine. Looked up recalls and the pennstar was being recalled for cylinder problems on the right side of engine. The engine only has less than 130000 miles on it and now I am saddled with paying it off and putting in a 6000 engine, .

- Algonquin, IL, USA

May 062016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted and operated normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be diagnosed or repaired. The failure occurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,196.

- Media, PA, USA

Mar 052016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at various speeds, the engine warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the vehicle hesitated and stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the left cylinder head needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Lakeville, MA, USA

Nov 142015

Grand Caravan

My van is only 3 years old and have had to replace the battery in Sept 2015. It's mid November and now I'm having trouble with the battery dying frequently. I went to where I purchased the battery from and they checked the battery and said it's fine. The motor ranks without starting 2-3 times before finally starting. I believe this is because of the fuel pump or fuel pump relay. The relays chatter a lot and the fuel pump sounds much different now than it did when I purchased the vehicle. It's as if the battery is being G drained slowly because of either the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or both. I am a certified aircraft and auto mechanic with electrical troubleshooting capabilities. I have yet to approach the Dodge dealer with this because it has only happened twice so far with me being at work while my wife has had to deal with this issue both times so far.

- Camden, NC, USA

Apr 142013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, there was a loud clunking noise and the vehicle jerked forward. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was started. The contact also stated that the engine warning indicator intermittently illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was informed that the engine failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V487000 (engine and engine cooling). The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 192015

Grand Caravan

Faulty tipm. Wife transporting children, van stalls and cannot be started after multiple attempts. No pwer to entire vehicle. Very dangerous. Dodge says this is not a recall but online research exposes that this is a huge safety issue. What is going on. Issue a reecall before someone gets hurt or killed!!

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Dec 222014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While at a stop sign, the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the headlights flickered and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver side cylinder head needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,022.

- Mount Ephraim, NJ, USA

Feb 192015

Grand Caravan

After having trouble using the key to start the vehicle for a couple days my car just turned off while traveling at 70 miles per hour. Definitely an electrical problem. The car just shut off as if I turned it off with the key.[no dash lights or radio] I was able to coast and move the shift lever to the neutral position and restart the car and proceed. This is a dangerous problem. The dealer could not help me because nothing was stored in the computer about the incident. Really" the next day I was driving and tapped the key and the car shut down again. Same ignition switch recalled be GM" somebody better figure this out. The dealer did not agree or disagree with my belief that the ignition switch was the culprit. I am afraid of my wife driving this car. If this were to happen to an unexperienced driver not realizing that steering will be difficult and only a couple more pumps left for the power brakes, it would be catastrophic. Again, somebody has to take ownership of this problem and fix it before someone is injured.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Jan 042015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On January 4th, while pulling into a neighbor's driveway, I tapped the brakes to stop (I was going less than 5mph, so I didn't need to press hard) the engine suddenly accelerated hard. I immediately slammed on the brakes harder to stop the acceleration, and my van ended up five to ten feet in my neighbor's yard. Two weeks later, I was pulling into a parking space at my son's work. I was moving slow and straightening the wheel approximately two to three feet from the sidewalk curb, when the engine acceleration surged and my van lurched forward. I again slammed on the brakes in order to not slam into the building wall just past the sidewalk, the van stopped on top of the sidewalk after hitting the car parked next to my van (as my wheels were still turned from turning into the parking space. The damage to my van and the car hit by my van totaled over $10,000. If a pedestrian had been on the sidewalk in front of my van, they would have been seriously injured or killed. Both times the engine unexpectedly surged, my foot was on the brake, and the van was traveling less than 2 to 3 miles per hour. When the acceleration surged the van forward, it was extremely hard and fast as if the accelerator had been pounded to the floorboard. I have checked with my local Dodge dealer, who states there is no problem with this van and they have had absolutely no complaints about unexpected and powerful acceleration on the Dodge Grand Caravan. I find this hard to believe as there are many other reports on Dodge forum boards stating this exact unexpected and dangerous acceleration. I am afraid to drive my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jul 252012

Grand Caravan

1. vehicle drags to the right. 2. engine loses power at times 45mph and or 60 mph 3. it seems there is gear shift problem based on item 2. stevens creek Chrysler Jeep Dodge, 4100 stevens creek blvd, san jose, ca 95129 I have taken it to dealership several times and latest being: 8/20/2014 invoice #184949 mileage :6669 they did find the problem and did suspension repairs. They say they were unable duplicate problem of losing power - it seems they did not do test drive at all obviously from mileage record! I took it again with same complaint on 11/12/2014 and they say everything looks okay it is just road crowning on the right lane causes it. Again they could not find or duplicate loss of power and shifting. I am terribly afraid of driving this vehicle with family and friends even though mileage is less than 9000 miles in 3 years. Warranty expires on 7/21/2015. Please help me to resolve these issues and safety of driver and passengers.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Sep 152013

Grand Caravan 4WD 6-cyl

Around 37,000 miles, check engine light came on, shortly after purchased, light would go off and on periodically. After a several weeks light stayed on and started blinking, at this time van was vibrating and sounded like it would cut off. Dealership ended up replacing engine head under warranty. A few months later light came on again, van did not want to accelerate, dealership could not find anything wrong with van. At times van does not want to accelerate as it should. After a delay, it will accelerate, but not like it should. Around 60,000 miles, ABS light and traction light have come on and cruise control will no longer work. Back hatch door of van locked while open and would not shut. The door had to be tied down from the inside in order to drive it to the dealership. Dealership says hinges have been bent. Hinges have no marks of any kind, and there has been no damage to the vehicle. There's a whole lot going wrong for a 2012 vehicle.

- Asheboro, NC, USA