Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

Jul 102013

I opened up the drives door with the engine running, the air bag light came on. I turned the engine off and restarted the engine and air bag did not come back on. Every since the air bag lot comes on from time to time but if you cycle the key, it goes off.

- Saint Clair, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Journey 6-cyl

The orc module went out that controls the safety features of my vehicle. For example, air bags and seat belts.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 302014

While sitting parked in a parking space with no other cars or people around; the front air bags deployed. Thankfully no one was in the car, the ignition was off, and the keys were in my hand. Car has been at Chrysler dealership since that day. Said it would take a couple of weeks. Making me wonder if they have discovered a larger issue (Jeep Liberty).

- Cumming , GA, USA

Jul 102014

Journey 6-cyl

While driving vehicle airbag came on. After scann appears the O.R.C. module is defected. Vehicle was taken to napleton South orlando and was inform that it have to be replace at my own expense. I search technicall bulletins and apparently vehicles for that same year had a recall for the same problem. I would like to find out if the recall made by Chrysler/Dodge includes mine. There are many recalls for different reasons for that same reason to similar vehicles of the same year and those parts were use on them is mine included in one of those recalls.

- Kissiimmee, FL, USA

Apr 112013

Journey 4-cyl

My 09 Dodge Journey would fail to start on multiple occasions since owning the vehicle. It would make a clicking noise and take several tries to get it to start. The dash lights would also fail to come on while trying to start it. I would also have to wait 1 or more hours til I could get it to start. I have put in a new alternator and starter in it. Finally on July 3rd 2014 it quit starting altogether, stranding me at work. I have also had a few incidents when the air bag light would come on, after a few minutes it would go back off. I have called a few Dodge dealers in my area and they claim to be aware of the issue and said it was either my key or a win module. If they are aware of this issue why is there no recalls on it. I have done research on my vehicle only to find out I am among thousands of people with the same issue.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jun 132011

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was exhibiting the failure specified on NHTSA campaign number: 10V658000 (electrical system). However, the VIN was not included. The contact mentioned the failure would happen intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Navarre, OH, USA

May 302014

Journey 6-cyl

Car was parked, turned off, keys out, nothing near the car, and thankfully no one in car - and airbags deployed.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 132013

Journey 6-cyl

Headon accident impacting the side of anther vehicle at approximately 55 mph the Journeys air bags did not deploy. Drive suffered injuries to right side of her back. I am in italy so please use +39 country code if calling.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 192013

I am not reporting an accident... yet. I was driving on residential street about 35 mph when the "airbag warning light" came on. Thereafter it came on each time I started my car and started to drive. Contacted nearest dealer and was told that my vehicle was not apart of the recall ( 09V118000), although the recall named 2009 Dodge Journeys. They wanted me to pay to have it checked! I then called Chrysler Corp and spoke with a rep who also stated that my vehicle was not apart of the recall. It appears to me that it should have been since I never had this type of issue before with any of the approx. 7 vehicles I have purchased over the last 50 years. I drive to California at least 3 times each year and various locations within the state of Arizona. I want Chrysler to contact the bill-luke dealership and have them check my electrical system and fix the problem, at Chrysler's expense. I am sure I am not the only owner who has this complaint.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 222011

Journey 6-cyl

My airbag light and throttle light were on as well as the engine light. I contacted service repair department, md where I purchase the vehicle. 2009 Dodge Journey. I was advised this was due to a recall repair that needed to take place. To bring the car in (March, 2011) after the first repair - the airbag light went out - but the engine light and the throttle light stayed on. I was told the repair would be covered by warranty and possibly was connected with the recall. It has been seven (7) times going back and forth to get this repair. At the time of this writing - my Journey is back with them again. Not only have I had to take time off from work to bring the car in to them. It has been an inconvenience going back and forth. Apparently, after the 2nd time - someone doesn't know what they are doing. I am currently working with the service manager, and the original service associate and still had to take the vehicle back. There is a lack of genuine customer service and some service partners do not know how to stay calm when dealing with a situation like this. I feel I have been taken for granted and I it has been a tremendous inconvenience in adjusting our work, vacation and travel schedules. They have finally given us a rental after 7 times and told us that they purchased a brand new computer system to help fix the situation. It sounds far fetch that a brand new computer system would be purchased to fix one vehicle. We feel like we are being lied to and want the vehicle replaced. We ride our family (including grandchildren) in this vehicle from time to time and want to be safe. March to June 2011 is entirely too long for the same exact repair to be worked on.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 012010

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 65 mph the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic test that located the failure in the drivers side door wiring. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer filed report 20274743. The failure and the current mileages were 42,000.

- Fleetwood, NC, USA

Aug 012008

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving 30 mph, the air bag light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the sensors. The failure recurred nine months later. Currently, the dealer is repairing the vehicle. She believes that such a new vehicle should not have these defects so soon. The failure mileage was 5,500 and current mileage was 14,900.

- Vancouver, WA, USA