Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A prime example of why you should never buy the first model year of a new vehicle.

2009 Dodge Journey steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

2009 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 232011

2009 Dodge Journey SXT. In the year I have owned it, I have replaced brakes twice, as rite now I am replacing them cause they started squeaking a week ago and today they locked up. Also replacing one of the calipers. Any time I take a hard left turn, there is a loud grinding noise. I have replaced the tires already, and have had to replace the rear 2 again recently. Any time I go to brake when going over 40 mph, the steering wheel shakes uncontrollably. I have also received a recall from a local dealership for a wiring harness in drivers side. When I went in to dealership, they put it on order and said they would call when it came in, but never did. That was 6 months ago.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA

Sep 282010

Journey 4-cyl

Purchase a Dodge Journey 2009. I inform the dealer that the windows were not coming down as they should. Didn't get fixed. The keyless remote was suppose to be with the car it wasn't, they installed a after market keyless remote, don't work correct. The brakes were squeaking and could hear air within the car when applying brakes. I was told that there's nothing wrong and it was normal. It has been 4 to 5 months later now its not starting. Contact chrsyler llc, told me I had to have it towed to a dealer, get diagnose, get it fixed and I have to pay for it all and they will reimburse half for the part, labor is all on me. The vehicle has done this no start problem 3 times in 2 and half days. Also notice that the steering column gets hot for some unforeseen reason. Inform the dealer I purchase my Journey from, I was told that is normal. Still have the Journey can't trade in back because I have no money, so I am stuck with it. Having it towed to dealer to get problem looked at and all expense is on me. What do I do. I think chrsyler will not repay me. I have to borrow money to get this done because this is my only transportation. I am scared that I might have a electrical fire while driving and will not notice it until it too late. What do I do. Please help in richmond va.

- Henrico Or Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 052010

Journey 6-cyl

2009 Dodge Journey: Pre-mature brake and rotor wear causing steering shake at 8,800 miles and again 10 months later at 15,000 miles.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 222010

Recently purchased 2009 Dodge Journey, has a scraping noise in the steering, intermittent, louder at times than other when turning, returned to dealership who refused to make any repairs even though they confessed to having heard sound. My concern is it may lock up while turning and resulting in an accident. Had less than 36,000 miles when first reported.

- Poulan, GA, USA

Jun 162009

I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey in may of 2009. Within a month of the purchase, I had the brakes and rotors replaced. Since then, I have complained numerous times about the brakes pulsating when applied and the steering wheel shaking. This has been a safety issue since the purchase of the car. I have all the documents to show where I have complained to the dealership. Now they are saying the brakes are no longer under warranty and I would have to pay for any service done to the brakes. I am not understanding why I should have to come out of my pocket with this expense when I have been complaining since I purchased the vehicle. I have a grandson that I Transport daily and don't feel safe driving something that I am paying for monthly. I recently had a vehicle pull out in front of me and went to put the brakes on and the brakes made a grinding and took a long to stop. The steering wheel shook as I applied the brake. My grandson was in the vehicle, but he was not injured.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Mar 082010

On Monday, March 8, 2010, my wife, two year old daughter and I suffered a third episode of the following dangerous malfunctions: Steering, transmission and drivetrain issues that, without notice, result in an unbearable screeching and grinding noise emanating from underneath the vehicle at speeds between 15 and 30 mph, a pause and hesitation in acceleration between speeds of 15 and 30 M.P.H. that causes the car to jump forward, the immediate loss of accurate steering and a burning smell throughout the car interior we suffered the most recent episode, without notice, while driving through rush hour traffic at 7:45 a.M. we waited two hours for a tow truck to arrive. Fortunately, my wife and daughter were only shaken, but not injured. In the last three months, we have had an unsafe rear tire replaced, sunroof parts replaced for constant leaking, a new electronic module installed to prevent the episodes of the entire electronic system malfunctioning causing the loss of car function and door locks and multiple power steering parts replaced.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Jul 092008

Car leaks, right rear door lock will not always lock, alarm will not cut off, car makes a funny noise when turning, car quit and finally got it started, pulls to left, doors will lock and will take approx. 2 minutes for it to unlock, misses when pulling.

- York, SC, USA

Mar 152008

This vehicle has several defects the front end makes a whining noise when turning, the dash is rubbing on the windshield with an awful noise, it pulls to the left while driving, and the engine sounds like a rod is about ready to blow through the hood. My wife and I are embarrassed to drive this thing.

- Ark City, KS, USA

Nov 252008

I have a brand new 2009 Dodge Journey. The steering makes noise, interior lights don't work, hazard lights don't work, locks malfunction, alarm malfunctions and won't turn off...I brought it in to have the steering issue looked at and was told they need to keep it for at least a day to fix it. They refuse, however to give me a rental until they find a diagnosis, which they now tell me will take at least 2 days. So, I'm driving around with a car that has one thing after another breaking on it because I can't afford to go 2 days without a car. I have to work. They don't stand by their product and it's going to cause problems for many consumers.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Aug 012008

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle pulled to the left and vibrated. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. On three separate occasions, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for identical failures. The tires were replaced; however, there was no resolution to the malfunctions. Also, the fuel gauge does not operate properly. The vehicle has not been repaired correctly for the failures. The failure mileage was 60 and current mileage was 3,235. Updated 10/14/08. The consumer stated there was a problem with the tires. Updated 10/16/08.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jul 252008

While driving the Dodge jouney, up a hill, it just stop. We were not out of gas. Had to E towed to level ground. The ride is very rocky, and she pulls to the right. It is very hard to see all around the car. The exhaust seems out of control.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 132008

2009 Journey SXT with 860 miles was driving into parking lot when vehicle lost power, vehicle would not restart. Taken to dealer and PCM was replaced. Also complained of grinding/whining noise while driving, returned to the dealership 4 times before repairs were attempted. Power steering pump and rack and pinion replaced. Still have whining noise intermittently while turning left.

- Redding, CA, USA