CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

3.1

2010 Dodge Journey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Oct 152016

Journey 6-cyl

Driving down the interstate, all of a sudden my heating/cooling would shut off along with my radio. Then it would come on. It did this several times. Shortly after that, my turn signals no longer worked and it caused me to almost get in an accident. I was driving approximately 65-70 mph. It continued to do this even after stopping. A week later, as I got up to go to work in the morning, it wouldn't start. It would just click when attempting. It wasn't sending the signal to the starter to get it going. I was stranded. I feel like my vehicle is possessed and it's really scary.

- Rock Falls, IL, USA

Dec 312014

Journey

After getting off from a long day at work. Leaving the parking lot on the second floor from work I was coming down the ramp when I lost complete control of the vehicle. The vehicle completely shut down on me leaving me to floor the break to stop the vehicle almost causing me to crash into the curb. All service lights come up on dash board windshield wipers started going on and the car completely shut off worst thing is after doing research about my vehicle is that it's been a common problem with all Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge vehicles. Repairs for this is about 1,200$ something customers are subject to pay due to not being covered under warranty. Chrysler needs to address this issue for their customers safety!!!!

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Aug 292014

Journey

While driving home from work at approx. 4:15pm, I was crossing the san francisco bay bridge with the flow of traffic going about 60mph. All of a sudden the RPM's gauge went to almost 5. the engine was loud and the car lost power and began to decrease to about 40mph. I quickly turned on my hazard lights and basically coasted until I could exit the bridge. I saw an oil change shop and asked them to look at it. They told me I had a sealed transmission and needed to seek a tranny specialist. The check engine light icame on and I have had the car looked at twice to no avail. No one seems to know how to fix the problem. I am getting error codes P0792, P0734, and now as of 11/1/2014 P0733. This care is very unsafe. Some days it drives perfectly other days you can't go past 35mph, staying in 1st and 2nd gear. Avoid all freeways at all times!! it's a death trap!!

- Hercules, CA, USA

Oct 052013

Journey 6-cyl

My first complaint is that if my husband or myself accidentally hit the ignition switch while the car is in motion the car will shut off. In addition if this happens before we start driving the car will shut off and the dash board, the center console and the ac will all shut off. I have informed Dodge of this problem twice and have not gotten any correspondence in return. During the second call I was informed that if I did not have a recall notice sent to me that my car is not apart of any active recalls and therefore they cannot do anything for me. Secondly, just recently on 10/16/2014 while I was trying to take my 7 year old son to the er, my car would not start. I thought it could be the battery, but the lights and everything else was working. After several attempts and after me tapping the ignition switch the car finally started. Everything in the car comes on however, the car makes a clicking noise and does nothing else. A week later it did the same exact thing on 10/22/14. I looked online and all behold there are several complaints going back to 2009 there are also youtube videos. My question is why is Dodge not being held responsible for there negligence, clearly there is a known issue. What tragedy has to happen before Dodge does something to resolves these issues for their customers. I would also like to add that the Dodge Journey is by far the worst car that Dodge has ever produced!

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 052013

Journey 6-cyl

My first complaint is that if my husband or myself accidentally hit the ignition switch while the car is in motion the car will shut off. In addition if this happens before we start driving the car will shut off and the dash board, the center console and the ac will all shut off. I have informed Dodge of this problem twice and have not gotten any correspondance in return. During the second call I was informed that if I did not have a recall notice sent to me that my car is not apart of any active recalls and therefore they cannot do anything for me. Secondally, just recently on 10/16/2014 while I was trying to take my 7 year old son to the er, my car would not start. I thought it could be the battery, but the lights and everything else was working. After several attempts and after me tapping the ignition switch the car finally started. Everything in the car comes on however, the car makes a clicking noise and does nothing else. A week later it did the same exact thing on 10/22/14. I looked online and all behold there are several complaints going back to 2009 there are also youtube videos. My question is why is Dodge not being held responsible for there negligence, cleary there is a known issue. What tragedy has to happen before Dodge does something to resolves these issues for their customers. I would also like to add that the Dodge Journey is by far the worst car that Dodge has ever produced!

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

May 192011

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving with the curse control activated, the rpms and speed would increase while the contact was driving downhill. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the RPM reading and the speed was normal. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Buena Vista, VA, USA

Jun 172013

Journey

Upon acceleration, the plastic gas pedal broke off while driving down the road.

- Burgettstown, PA, USA

Apr 212013

Journey

The Dodge Journey has a history of transmission faults, loud and noisy and rough transmission shifts. While shifting into a great it will make a loud thud and the car will jerk. We started to get used to this as it has happened since day 1. we let Chrysler know about this and apparently this is "normal." I have never had a similar issue with any other car so to me it is not normal. So fast forward to this past weekend. We were going to tow a few items and drop them off. So everything is loaded and ready to tow, we are on a flat surface with no incline at all, start the car up and put it into drive and bam! a loud noise while we tried to put it into gear. The car was still running while this happened and we started to roll backwards, while in drive. I tried to hit the gas but it just revved a few thousand rpms. I hit the brakes and put it into park and then drive again, but the transmission was still not engaging. Something happened causing the loud bang and no throttle response to the drivetrain. After I put it in park, walked around and then got back in starting the car up again; the car engaged gear this time. Everything ran perfect and then I took it to the Chrysler dealership, they said they could find no evidence what happened or what was wrong, but reassured me again that the loud transmission shifts are normal. So this could be potentially dangerous if this was to happen while on the road or at a stop somewhere.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Feb 202013

Journey 6-cyl

Twice today, my 2010 Dodge Journey shut off after making a right hand turn. The vehicle stopped accelerating and became difficult to turn. Luckily, I wasn't in busy traffic and no one was turning behind me. Otherwise, my kids and myself could have been seriously injured from an accident. I checked on-line to see if anyone else experienced the same problem and found numerous complaints about similar issues. I called Chrysler and they told me that my vehicle didn't qualify for any recalls of that nature. What if I was traveling on the highway with a semi-truck behind me?

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Aug 042012

Journey 6-cyl

The check engine keeps on coming on and staying on. I have noticed problems with the car losing power while I am driving or accelerating; this has happened several time. I recently had to replace the brakes and rotors; it drives horribly every time I tried to stop the car would tremble. I expected the car to not have these problems as it is fairly new and I do not consider it to have alot of mileage. I am really concerned about these problems as I drive my car with three small children. I don't have the money to keep taking it for a diagnostic each time the light comes on; if the company is aware of this problem; they shouldn't charge people so much to check the codes or they should have a recall to fix the ongoing problems.

- Vista, CA, USA

Sep 262011

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey AWD. The contact was driving with the cruise control set to 55 mph when the engine exhibited an abnormal increase in rpms of over 5,000. The contact had to switch out of gear to allow the vehicle to decelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 33,000 and the current mileage was 36,600.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 082011

Journey 6-cyl

The cruise control on my 2010 Dodge Journey surges / jerks / and RPM increases considerably when engaged and going downhill. On flat surfaces it seems to work correctly, however there has been two occasions, just recently, when my wife was operating the vehicle to and from work at Mississippi state university, that has us alarmed. The distance is approximately 30 miles one way and there are only 3 short downgrades that this occurred on. This problem does seem to be increasing over the last few weeks. Thank you for any consideration pertaining to this problem. I have replied about this problem and apparently there are others with this same problem that has been classified as "no fix". if I could I would return this vehicle to the Dodge dealer because there has been nothing but problems with this vehicle. This has now become, yet another separate problem, with the possibility of endangering our lives. I personally will not purchase another Chrysler product.

- Ackerman, MS, USA

Jun 072010

Journey

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT. While the contact was driving approximately between 50-55 mph with the cruise control activated, the rpms increased up to 400 rpms excessively. The transmission also began to shift into a lower gear. When the cruise control was deactivated the vehicle performed normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 500.

- Loudon, TN, USA