2.1

2006 Dodge Magnum fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Magnum:

2006 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 282013

Magnum 8-cyl

The engine stalls after refueling, sometimes it will restart other times I have to sit like 15 minutes before it will restart.

- Bellville, TX, USA

Dec 142013

Magnum 8-cyl

Stalled while traveling 65mph, then refired several times. Leaving from a stoplight the Magnum died in the middle of two intersecting highways, restarted, then died again. Issues started shortly after re-fueling with a full tank. Now, after a month, the stalling occurs as low as 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Will run fine for a couple days, then with no warning, stalling comes back and is currently on-going.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

Jan 202014

Magnum 8-cyl

Time: After a fuel refill earlier in the day (always ask gas station attendant to -not- top off the tank and usually provide an exact number of gallons to make sure the gauge will read just under full after the gas refill) event: Car stalled while being driven at about 25mph this is a safety issue as the car will stall at just about anytime (on the highway, making a turn, driving along Suburban roads). At this time the only solution I have been able to implement is to rev the engine significantly fast after the refuel and/or drive in 1st or 2nd gear (by downshifting via the transmission gear shifter) for at least 10minutes of driving time. It has now been 6 months since the last activity on the current NHTSA PE13-016 investigation (last activity referred to on the website was August of 2013). This is a safety issue and a recall is clearly needed to address this safety issue. Can someone at NHTSA please post an update on the investigation?

- Madison, NJ, USA

Sep 092013

Magnum 8-cyl

Engine stalls while driving, also stalls while car is not moving, whether in park, reverse, or drive the car shuts down and sometimes starts up immediately and sometimes it doesn't, if car is moving at speeds above 30 and the stall happens it will kick right back up on it's own.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Dec 212013

Magnum 8-cyl

On 4 occasions to date, the most recent occurring on 12/21/13, the engine stalls multiple times after refueling. All occasions occurred at idle. Safety hazard exists while exiting vehicle on busy roads to push to side of the road.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Dec 032012

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled shortly after refueling when beginning to accelerate after having been stopped at intersection. This problem continued to occur regularly after refueling. It occurred both when the vehicle is stopped and also while in motion. Restarting the vehicle was sometimes difficult. Once restarted the vehicle frequently surged while driving for several minutes of operation until returning to normal. This problem and its associated symptoms should be considered as a safety risk. As of April 2013, I no longer own this vehicle. My wife presently experiences this problem with her 2006 Dodge Magnum srt-8 with the 6.1L engine. She has also filed a vehicle safety complaint.

- Point Pleasant Boro, NJ, USA

Mar 042013

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled when stopped at intersection very shortly after refueling. This problem continues to occur regularly after refueling. It has occurred both when the vehicle is stopped and also while in motion. Restarting the vehicle is sometimes difficult. Once restarted the vehicle frequently surges while driving for several minutes of operation until returning to normal. This problem and its associated symptoms should be considered as a safety risk. My husband also experienced this problem with his 2006 Dodge Magnum rt with the 5.7L engine, recently traded in for a different vehicle.

- Point Pleasant Boro, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Magnum 8-cyl

Filled up fuel tank, started running rough right afterwards, stalling out when pulling up to stop light, cleared up after driving for awhile, only happens when I fill up, will not happen if I don't completely fill fuel tank.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 152013

Magnum 8-cyl

When vehicle fuel tank is filled with gasoline, car will stall and cut out and run very rough. Car has stalled several times when pulling out in traffic and is a safety concern for my wife and family when traveling in this car. Vehicle has started doing this every time the fuel tank is filled. Was told not to overfill tank and I do not overfill it. Have read that the only fix is replacing the fuel tank because of a faulty valve(?), which is a very expensive repair.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Dec 052011

Magnum 8-cyl

Had just filled up with fuel when taking off to cross the street the car died and had to be pushed to the side of the road. After a while it started up but died numerous times then was fine until next fill up. After a few days it started losing power when driving down the road then power came back.. this is unsafe due to the car slows down fast then powers back up.

- Danbury, TX, USA

May 272013

Magnum 8-cyl

Over the course of the past six months, my engine has missed and stalled after refueling. This occurs after each refueling and is a safety concern as there is no warning then the stall may occur. I've now incurred a very large expense of $2,340 to repair the problem. This is quite obviously a problem that Chrysler is aware of and I understand the matter is being investigated. I hope that car owners such as me will be reimbursed for the expense of this costly repair.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 182013

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled as I was making a U-turn. Vehicle required 3 attempts to restart and after successfully starting the vehicle, transmission would not engage for approximately 5 seconds.

- Southport, CT, USA

Nov 082013

Magnum 8-cyl

Engine stalls every time fuel tank is filled. Typically occurs at an idle immediately after fillup. Vehicle fuel system completely compromised leaving drivers stranded in traffic and has caused several near miss accidents due to stalling at low speed, or acceleration from a low speed. Has stalled while pulling out into traffic. Has stalled on freeway forcing unsafe situations. Fuel system now defective due to recurring incidents. Only resolution is to replace defective fuel, because the car is unsafe to drive.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Nov 152013

Magnum 8-cyl

Approximately 10 miles after the latest gasoline fill up, the car stalled at an intersection.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 092012

Magnum 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank, the car stalled at the next 3 intersections and ran rough once on moderate acceleration. No engine codes or warning lights appeared. Engine was able to be restarted nut only when depressing the accelerator pedal slightly. Would not re-start otherwise. Problem resolved itself after about 15 minutes of operation. Since then, issue has re-surfaced approximately 6 times with similar symptoms; occasionally with engine stalling while the car is slowing down but still moving. All time are associated with the first few minutes of operation after filling the gas tank.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 082013

Magnum 8-cyl

Accelerator pedal bracket broke leaving the vehicle with the ability to idle only. I was at an 8 lane intersection, very busy spot, the traffic control lights weren't working, they were flashing red. I was preparing to make a left hand turn, nobody wants to let you turn, traffic was backed up big time. I started to turn and hit the gas petal and the car stopped in the middle of my turn. Next thing I'm looking at a truck right at me and there was nothing I could do to quickly get out of the way to avoid an accident or save my own life. The petal, bracket & wiring lied on the floor-useless. In my opinion this is a serious safety issue, what if this happened to a squad car, I'll bet sure the chargers the police use are built the same way. Well I suppose the criminal would get away because the police could only idle to catch them. I took pictures if interested.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Sep 042013

Magnum 8-cyl

Engine stalls every time fuel tank is filled. Typically occurs at an idle immediately after fillup. Leaves me stranded in traffic and has caused several near miss accidents due to stalling at low speed, or acceleration from a low speed. Has stalled while pulling out into traffic, causing people to swerve out of my way almost causing several collisions.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Oct 302013

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled two times after filling gas tank. Difficult to restart--had to try 3-4 times to get the car to restart. Each stalling incident occurred as I came to a stop.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Oct 052013

Magnum 8-cyl

I filled up the gas tank of my 2006 srt8 Dodge Magnum. I then pulled out of the gas station parking lot and the car died. The car died many more times the rest of this day. There were no warning lights on the dash. It acted as if there was vapor lock. It appears to be the same issue with gas getting into the evap canister, that so many other people are having with their LX Chrysler products of this year. After I burned off about four gallons of gas, this symptom stopped happening. This has happened a couple times this year when I filled the gas tank and the temperature is cooler. I do not top off. This is a hazardous situation.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 072013

Magnum 8-cyl

After filling up at the gas station, I was attempting to get back on the freeway when the car stalled at the stop sign. I received help in pushing the car out of the busy intersection. Due to the instrument panel warning lights I checked the oil levels and if the gas cap was secured properly. Both were fine and I was able to start the car and drive to the on-ramp of the freeway when it stalled again. I was barely able to coast to the side of the busy on-ramp and was a hazard to the many semi trucks making the turn onto the freeway. After waiting for almost an hour for the car to cool I checked the oil again. It was full and fresh after being serviced recently. A chp officer spotted me on the ramp and I informed him of which panel lights lit up and the what the manual suggested. He wanted to check if I had oil pressure and suggested I attempt to turn it on. Indeed the pressure was fine but the car had a rough idle, sputtered and died again. After turning it over again there was a strong smell of fuel, I tried revving the engine. It died again. The chp officer and I agreed it was a fuel problem and informed me it would be cheaper if I called a tow truck than if he did and said he would be back to check on me. I was able to get the car running long enough to back off the on-ramp and into a parking lot. It died two more times. After getting it started again I revved the engine until it idled properly and went home. While researching the problem on lxforums.com I became aware of a faulty gas tank issue which was the cause. While I'm grateful I was driving slowly when this happened it was still a safety hazard to myself and others to have a car die so suddenly. Apparently, Chrysler is aware of this problem and I will be submitting this issue to them as well. On lxforums.com a surprising number of vehicles have this same problem. Thank you for your time.

- Newman, CA, USA