2003 Dodge Neon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Neon:

2003 Dodge Neon Owner Comments

Sep 052008

Neon 2.4L

My car was running fine with the exception of an EXTREMELY annoying High pitched squealing coming from the belts when the car was started regardless of the weather or temp. three weeks ago I took the car off the road due to financial problems, and left it parked for two weeks in my driveway. After two weeks I finally had time to prep the car for parking, removing the battery, putting a car cover on it and what not. I had to move the car first as it was parked on the edge of the driveway over some grass and weeds that usually grow up pretty tall and I didn't want them growing up into the engine compartment, so I started the car. The same annoying squealing started up, but this time it lasted almost three minutes, and it was louder, and accompanied by thick white smoke rolling out from under the hood, I immediately shut the car off and opened the hood. I couldn't find the source because the entire engine block was full of smoke. So I started the car back up, no squealing, pulled it forward, layed down some plastic to keep the weeds out, and backed the car back into the spot I had it originally, the battery light came on. I thought nothing of it as it'd been parked for two weeks, and I was removing the battery anyway. I parked and prepped the car. Later on my wife found the belt that feeds the alternator laying in the driveway with a significant piece missing - about 3 inches of belt. I opened the hood and the serpentine belt was still whole, so I was VERY confused, I didn't realize there was two different belts in there till I stuck my head further back and was the alternator wheel with a wad of melted rubber on it, and no belt... I can't even turn the wheel by hand, it's completely seized, so I'm wondering if there's a recall on it or something, I couldn't find anything when I googled dodge recalls other than suspension and exterior lighting, has anyone else had this problem?

- , Glens Falls, NY, USA