2008 Dodge Nitro accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012016

I drive a 2008 Dodge Nitro, had it for 3 years, had no issues untill this year 2016, at the beginning of 2016 I had my car accelerate on its own while I was a red light, that almost caused and accident, took it in to the dealership to get that checked out but after paying $140 they did not do a thing because, they could not duplicate"? then months later, it happened a few other times, ones on my drive way and another in a parking lot at wal-mart, issues for about afew months, but then suddenly just a few months ago I had a sudden scare of my car turning it self off on the freeway, I had my kids in the behicle and it was at night, glad nothing bad happened, but then I started to notice the lights on my pannel started to turn on, first it was the security red light, then, tire gauge, they till this day keep turning on and off, but the latest issue and most frequent is the windshield wipers, they stay truned on, the pannel lights and windshield wiper issue all started to happen since june2016 I called Dodge not the dealership but their actually office, and all they kept doing was giving me the run arround, asking me to go spend my hard owned money to get it checked out, yet I had already done that when that first started, and they could never "duplicate" it, and that was when it would just take off on its own, I recently did a search and found out that all Dodge Nitros were going thru the same issues, yet no recalls have been done, not sure what they are waiting for, but these are very dangerous issues, why a lawsuit has.not been filed??" please of there is a lawsuit im not aware off please post it, we all need safe cars to drive, also im curious have any of you Nitro owners have had Dodge trying to buy your car from you, I have had offer after offer, I find this something strange

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 282016

The doors will not unlock without using the keys manually. But more frightening is that the wipers stay on all the time and many electrical issues began showing up at 70,000 miles. Dash warning lights will come & go! no hi- beams at times. What is it going to take, a death & law suit?

- Belleville, KS, USA

Dec 312015

I clicked the unlock button on my key and the horn started blowing constantly, doors were locking and unlocking, wipers were going really fast with washer fluid going everywhere. I crank it up thinking it would stop. It all kept going. I cut the key off and took the key out. The engine kept running, the horn was still blowing, wipers still going with washer fluid spraying and door locking and unlocking. I took the battery cable loose and this all kept going on! it ran for about 5 more minutes and then stopped. I left the battery unhooked over night thinking it may reset. The next day I hooked the battery up and it ran fine for 1 day. All of the same problems started again one morning while heading to work. Then it started doing it on me while going down the road one night on a major hwy!! I have had it in 2 dealerships and they both are not sure whats wrong. But I had to pay them to look at it and give me no answer!! the last one told me to just drive it and when it done it again bring it to them and they will look at it again. I have been without a vehicle for 2 weeks now and still no answers. All while still having to pay someone to tell me nothing, I just went and got it yesterday from the Dodge dealership. It acted fine last night but on the way to work this am it started acting up again while driving it on a major hwy while raining, the wipers were spraying fluid everywhere, then they just stopped while its pouring down. The doors started unlocking and locking by themselves. The horn did not start blowing this time because the dealership unhooked it yesterday. I have googled problems with this and it all shows a faulty tipm. They have recalled the tipm in the newer models of the Dodge Nitros but not in the 2008S. It will cost $900 to replace the part!!! I can not afford this!! I shouldn't have to pay this when it is the company's fault this is very dangerous!

- Batesville, MS, USA

Oct 022015

The wipers stopped working and the lights blink on and off while I was driving around a curve on a rainy night. Also the car wouldn't excellerate. When I pulled over I was almost hit by a truck. The electrical system comes on by itself and it's makes me afraid it will catch on fire. You can hear the motor and a loud clicking.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 192015

My 2008 Dodge Nitro would not unlock with the remote. I had to unlock it manually. Then the car would not start with the key. All the lights and everything we're working but the car would not start. Then all the sudden the horn went off the wipers were going off and the washer squirters were squirting and would not quit until I unhook the battery.I read a forum online that it could possibly be the tipm module which is located by the battery.I open the cover and pushed on all the fuses. I hook the battery back up and tried to start the car and it started.I'm glad this didn't happen while I was driving because god only knows what could have happened. I am afraid to drive the car until I know it is fixed. I've also read that there is recalls on these modules on several years in the Dodge Nitro. Even though there is no recall on my Nitro I am very concerned because this has been a big problem with other Nitros.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Jul 242015

My thirteen year old daughter and I were leaving a store parking lot when I started the vehicle. After starting I attempted to turn on the air conditioning, blower motor would not work. While pulling onto the road horn started blaring, wipers fore and aft started going without being activated. Windshield wiper fluid spraying uncontrollable, again, without my activation. Pulled into a parking lot and shut of vehicle, all problems stated above persisted. Left parking lot in an attempt to get the vehicle the seven miles home. Halfway home, all problems stopped. Wipers stopped in complete vertical position, horn stopped blaring, washer fluid stopped spraying. Upon reaching home disconnected positive battery cable in an attempt to somehow "reboot" the system. After reconnecting cable, started vehicle and up to this point all seems normal, for now. In my opinion under different circumstances this could have been a very dangerous situation. I just purchased this vehicle three weeks ago and do not feel it is safe to drive if this should happen again, potentially causing injury to me, my family or the public in general.

- Mason, MI, USA

Aug 142014

The headlights stopped working. At first they would flash on and off. After 4 or 5 times of turning on the lights, they wouldn't even flash. We tried changing the fuses, but nothing worked. The lights remained inoperative until it rained. Once it rained, all of a sudden the lights started operating normally. This pattern has continued for over a year. Sometimes the lights work and sometimes they don't. the dealer says it is a tipm problem. Apparently, this is a common problem with Dodge Nitros. We did have a mechanic replace the lights/turn signal lever in the car. The lights worked without issue for about 3 months. Now, they are not working again. And now we are having other issues such as the horn going off and the windshield wipers and washer fluid going off randomly and nothing I do will stop it. After about 5 minutes, everything stopped on its own. Thankfully, we were in a parking lot at the time. I can only imagine the danger if this happened while driving in heavy traffic or at a high rate of speed. This is a huge safety issue. Chrysler should recall this and repair the vehicles affected.

- Lockport, IL, USA

May 272015

This is my third incident with a faulty tipm on my 2008 Dodge Nitro slt. Lights, horns, front and rear wipers as well as the washer fluid spraying out of control. I remove the fuse for both the left and right horns to silence them, then remove the positive battery cable to reset the tipm. It has been successful so far. Looking for a replacement unit for preventive measures.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jan 222015

Nitro 6-cyl

I walked out to my car one morning to make a trip into town. The instant I opened the door the horn started blaring without a pause, the windshield wipers both front and rear were running on their top speed. I have absolutely no control over the car. I cant even get it out of park to have a tow truck pick it up. The gauge cluster says "no bus" and the only culprit I can think of would be the famous Dodge tipm.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 012013

The windshield wipers either won't come on at all or will continually move all over the windshield as you drive. The wiper malfunction is extremely worse if you have the headlights on and use the turn signal. This causes them to quickly fully extend to the very edge of the windshields drivers side. This causes extreme visibility problems. The Dodge dealership has not been able to fix the problem after several visits and multiple attempts of replacing parts including the turn signal wand and the entire wiper assembly. The mechanic said Dodge recommended replacing the tipm, which the manufacturer was aware of a huge problem with this part on Nitros. After doing some research I could not believe all the complaints with no action being taken by Chrysler or the government for my model year. Recalls were issued for older years, so why not the 2008 with the same problems? I can't safely drive my car with my vision constantly compromised and I can't even sell it with all the horrible reviews. Now it just sits in my driveway because I am too nervous to drive it with these problems.

- Cardington, OH, USA

Sep 062014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The windshield wipers ran as fast as they could without us being able to shut them off. We had no turn signals or headlights. This was diagnosed as a faulty tipm. We paid $1100 to have it replaced and reprogrammed.

- Draper, UT, USA

May 282014

This situation has happened quite a few time and has escalated over the time period. The first time I walked out to my car. I pressed the key to unlock it and the horn started honking, the windshield wipers and spray was going and the lights flashed. This lasted approx. 5 seconds. And stopped. The next incident occurred while driving down the fwy. Same symptoms occurred, but this time lasted approx. 30 seconds then stopped. The third incidence: Same symptoms but would not stop. I opened up the hood, for some reason slapped the fuse box and it stopped but when I went to drive it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. Gear. This kept happening with increasing frequency and duration. I took it in to the dealer. As I was waiting in line to check in, it happened. Everyone was stunned and amazed, and laughed at my possessed vehicle. Now they can't get it to happen while it is on the computer. It has been almost 2 weeks and I still don't have my car.

- Phelan, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Nitro 6-cyl

While driving, vehicle begins to sound horn, windshield washers/wipers activate. Sometimes won't shift beyond 2nd gear while entering freeway. Headlights, tail lights, flashers come on whenever they feel like it. A/C stops working, then works again. All interior electronics occasionally fail. Engine shuts itself off. Dealer states it is the tipm. Cost to repair with extended warranty - $410... new tipm installed, occasionally still have minor issues.

- Lorena, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Nitro 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my horn and lights start flashing and at the same time my windshield wipers and water started going off. As I slowed down and exited the highway I notice my air conditioning had gone off as well. I was lucky I was able to remain calm this was very scary especially with my 15 month old baby in the back seat. After I exited and turned off the car nothing stopped. I pulled out the key and the vehicle remained started with the horn, lights, windshield wipers and water remained on. I ended up popping the hood and undoing the battery to make it stop. After 5 minutes it tried to reconnect and it was still happening. I came back to the car after 30 minutes reconnected the battery and the car acted as normal.

- Irving, TX, USA

Feb 232014

I pushed the unlock button on my key and opened the drivers side door to get in and that's when the problems began. The horn started blaring non stop, the front and rear windshield wipers were going at various speeds and my lights were flashing and the blinkers were going off. I tried to put my key in the ignition and tried to turn the vehicle on but nothing would happen. The car felt like it was on even though I hadn't turned it on but when I got out of the vehicle it definitely showed signs of being on. After just about 30 minutes everything stopped but my horn will no longer work and my check engine light remains on. This is the first occurrence so we will be taking it to the dealership that we got it from since we have only had the vehicle and been driving it for 2 days.

- Mauston, WI, USA

May 122010

Nitro 6-cyl

Intermitent problem only corrected by removing the battery cable and reconnecting, the windshield wipers will start working at start up of engine, no lights will respond, signal lights, horn, headligths and wipers cannot be turned off. Car is able to be driven during this malfunctions making it unsafe in case of emergency. Also during normal driving door locks unlock and lock on intervals of one second or two, radio changes stations on its own continuously. Problem has been happening more often now, almost daily.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 152013

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. While driving 30 mph, the contact stated that both front and rear wipers began to malfunction. The warning lamps illuminated and when the vehicle was turned off it drained the battery. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and the module was reprogrammed. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69000.

- Burlington, VT, USA

Jan 302013

Nitro 6-cyl

The 2008 Dodge Nitro slt's alarm randomly went off in the parking lot and would not stop even after attempts to turn off the alarm with remote key. Windshield wipers were also turned on while the fluid was constantly squirting out. Even after driving the car alarm and wipers would not stop. This issue happened several time until one day when the vehicle stopped making any type of sounds (no honking, no alarm). Problem is said to be caused by the tipm. Lack of honking caused numerous potential accidents by failing to warn other drivers. I am complaining so that Chrysler issues an overdue recall for the tipm as numerous other consumers are experiencing the same issue.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Oct 212013

Windshield wipers start by itself once vehicle is started even though they are switched off. The only way to correct is to disconnect the battery cable and reconnect. This has been happening intermittently since purchasing the vehicle in 2011 but has been occurring more frequently in the past year. I am concerned that the problem could get worse or occur while driving the vehicle thus causing an injury or accident.

- Portage, IN, USA

Sep 032013

The tipm failed in my 2008 Dodge Nitro cause me to lose shifting capability. I lost all control of electrical features. The window wipers, fluid, horn were all on and uncontrollable. I turned the car off but it kept running. The door locks locked and unlocked randomly. After reading about the incident the 2007 Dodge Nitro had its tipm recalled and I believe this falls under the same category. Below is the action number. NHTSA action number : pe07027nhtsa recall campaign number : 07V291000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA