8.5

2. recall the dashes (6 reports)
  3. armor all takes care of it with heavy coats (1 reports)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500:

ERROR -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

There's been an error - Database connection not made: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Please click your browser's Back button to try again.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Paid extra money at dealership for interior protection. Always took care of interior. Have seen many Dodge Ram trucks with this problem of the dash cracking out or caving in. Bought this truck brand new! Dodge should at least cover most of the cost of replacement of the dash top.

- , Lubbock, United States, USA

Oct 062011

Ram 1500 Dark 318

This dashboard is not made good enough to last as long as truck. And this could hurt someone if they fall forward or in a wreck etc. This should be a recall due to injury that could happen, the DODGE maker should not want to see anyone be hurt in ther trucks or cars. It makes a lot of sense for them fix these ASAP.Also I hope no one gets hurt and sue the DODGE Maker.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 011998

Ram 1500 V8

the whole dash is cracked and it keep getting worse. pieces fall inside - it is really annoying - rattles all the time

- , Honea Path, SC, USA

Jun 122000

Ram 1500

YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH THE DASHBOARD WITH YOU FINGER, THATS HOW BRITTLE IT IS. I HAVE TRIED TO FIND A PLACE TO BUY A REPLACEMENT FOR MY TRUCK AND YOU CAN ONLY GET THEM FOR 1998 AND NOW. THIS DIDN'T JUST START IN 1998 IT STARTED MUCH EARILER. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK DODGE PUT OUT. THEN THEY TRY TO GET YOU TO BUY ANOTHER DODGE RAM.

- , Belleview, FL, USA

Jul 012001

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Dashboard cracked in several locations - almost completely gone!

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 V8

dodge should recall and fix, all junk yards I have been to have been the same thing

- , sacramenyto, CA, USA

Feb 032000

Ram 1500 LX 5.2L V8

Sure would like help from the manufacturer on this… I’ve seen many older Dodge Rams with no issues with the dash… This is just the latest problem in a long list of other issues with this truck! Most of the others have been repaired at great expense to me! Disassemble all the dash modules and ducting to install another dashboard is a bit much. A cover won’t work if there is nothing there to support it! So the only other option available; Never buy another Dodge product!!!

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 102009

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2L V8

I just want to fix my dash. I think the fair thing to do is not to fix it for free, but less expensive,and make the dash worth our hard earned money.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Apr 022011

Ram 1500 ST 3.9L V6

Another bad dash. Hard to believe how bad these dashes crack in these Dodge Rams. Need to find a solution, don't want to put in another "stock OEM" dash that is just going to fall to pieces like the one that's in it. It's not just cracked it's falling apart big time!

- , Montgomery, TX, USA

Jul 012000

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

I'm like everybody i have dodge dashboard problems my dash is completely gone i saved the pieces are there any lawyers out there who would like to take this case for the hundreds maybe thousands of people who have the same problem as i do dodge has been getting away with this long enough

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 242009

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

When I bought the car last winter I saw the crack and didn't think much of it but now long after the summer I'm noticing another 2 more smaller cracks. Who knows when my dashboard will just crumble apart.

- , Lavallette, New Jersey, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Dash developed a crack, then it continuously cracked into little pieces. I now have no dashboard.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 152010

Ram 1500 5.2L

dashboard is gone. has dodge fixed the problem? I don't want to buy a new dash if its gonna fail again. They should go back to the good old metal dash.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L V8

The dash has several cracks and even some peices missing. A real eye sore. Dodge needs to step up and fix these problems.

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Feb 252007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

the dash has multiple cracks that seem to get worse and armoral doesnt help no mattr how much u use.this is not the only truck like this we have and it has the same problem and is newer

- , Clarence, MO, USA

May 282010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Just bought a used 1996 Ram 1500. The guy put a dash mat on it because he said it was cracked. I bought the truck as a work truck and got a really good deal on it, so I wasn't concerned. I lifted the pad to clean the truck and noticed that a big section is gone. I was going to buy a molded cover, but after seeing all the threads on multiple websites, I figured I'd join the fight and at least make my truck's problem be known in the hopes that Dodge will replace it or at the very least, help other folks with similar problems get theirs fixed. Good luck to everyone else.

- , Mary Esther, FL, USA

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Since investigating this issue I'm learning that a lot of Dodge RAM owners have this issue with cracked dashes. I wish Dodge would make it easy to obtain discounted replacement dashes, and not these cheap plastic caps, or carpet covers.

- , Bedford, VA, USA

Oct 091998

Ram 1500 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Dodge is my favorite brand of trucks. i never wanna say any thing bad about them. but about 10 years ago my trucks dash started to fall apart. These trucks were costly and were very likable. my dash caved in and ruined all my electronics. i went to the dealership and asked for them to replace the damn thing. They told me it was out of there hands and turned their cheek. i think someone should recall. Its only fair.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 032007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

Just after 36K miles my dashboard suddenly popped and cracked for no apparent reason. At that time I contacted Dodge who at first gave me a complaint # then told me it was my problem as the car was out of warranty and that they could not determine if I caused the crack or if it was a defect on their part. I told them that my 1972 VW has less cracks than my 1996 Dodge! I always kept a sunshield in the windshield as I always cared for my NEW truck. Now there are MANY cracks and pieces falling off each week. I use one hole as a cup holder... I thought it may have been from stress but pieces just easily crack in your hand. So many pieces have cracked off that now the trim that holds the a/c vents in does not stay on. The material they used to mold the dash must not have been dried or mixed properly. Dodge needs to own up to the problem as I have seen MANY posts on the net especially with the 2001 model. I want my dashboard replaced or I will not buy Dodge again!

Wayne Williamson Jacksonville, FL

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 1500 360

I had noticed the four cracks across my dsah show up about the same time. Living here in Florida you hear people say it's the sun/heat. I thought it was just me. Now I hear that there are many here locally whohave the same EXACT problem with Dodge RAM trucks. Seems like DODGE has a problem! I have heard of dashes caving in, and now I wonder am I next. They are definitely worrysome and make me wonder........ why me after paying so much for the truck. Is it another case of "planned obsolescence?

- , Mims, FL, USA