8.4

2. dodge should repair the cracked dash (14 reports)
  3. replace the dash (5 reports)
  4. replace it with carbon fiber dash (3 reports)
  5. remove and replace (2 reports)
  6. bondo fiberglass body filler (1 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 011999

Ram 1500 PU V6

The top fell apart and I replaced it but the stress it put on all the lower plastic parts caused them to crack and break now i'm worried the whole thing is going to drop into the floor board.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Feb 112009

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Right now there is no dashboard, I buy a yard of dark fabric to wrap 2 pieces of foam in order to simulate the top of dashboard,whem driving and hit a bump pieces of the dashboard coming apart as a flying object. I cant even use my A/C also the steering wheel cover is fallingl apart. In other words all plastic material inside the cabin is breaking into pieces.... I love my RAM 1500 but if the company dont want to help RAM owners to fixes this problem a problem created by the company with the bad quality of material they pick in order to made the dash... by the way what happen to the QUALITY CONTROLTEAM blame on them..

- , S.J, Puerto Rico

Apr 102010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

IT IS A SHAME THAT MY DODGE RUN SO GOOD TO HAVE MY DASH FALLING A PART, EVEN WITH THE COVER EVERYDAY A LITTLE PART FALLS OFF. FOR FUTURE SALES THIS SHOULD BE FIXED. THEY SHOULD LOOK AT THEIIR NUMBERS ON SALES .......A TRUCK IS AN INVESTMENT.....YOUR PAST PRODUCT SALES FUTURE PRODUCTS.......HELLO FORD!!!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012003

Ram 1500 ES 5.26 V8

I had no idea that so many people had the same problem. The truck was parked in a garage till 2007.

- , Apalachicola, FL, USA

Jul 121999

Ram 1500 SLT 4.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

well first of all I really did fall in love with my truck when I first bought it but it's had a lot of problems which I fixed but the complaint at hand now is the dash board well whats left of it .I bought it brand new in 97 3 miles on it and that was a test drive I loved the way it felt and the roomy feeling. I barely had it for 2 years and the dash just started to crack and crack and then it began to collapse into the dash frame.when I get in and turn on the heat or just the vent to circulate the air in the cab it blows out little shards of plastic dash every where I'm afraid a bit to drive it any where cause I feel that some day it's going to blow some thing in my eyes and I could have an accident and hurt some one or just me. I keep up with the mechanics of it so it runs and feels great to drive with the exception of the dash problem I am now and have been for some time now at the point that after seeing my friends and some family members with the same kind of trucks having the same kind of problems I feel strongly about never buying dodge products ever again and every one that I know feel very strong about the same complaints so none of us will be buying Dodge or Chrysler products any more

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 1500 LXS 5.9L

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

My dash is in so bad shape I believe it should be recalled. My Dodge is in immaculate condition except for the dash. Now you can see I have had a dash cover on it since we bought it but the dash is cracked so bad it's not from weather it's from sh*tty plastic. Dodge needs to recall these dash boards ASAP before someone gets hurt.

- , Belen, NM, USA

Jun 232003

Ram 1500 V8

The dash is cracked in several places. I believe its the reason my radio doesn't work now. My plate with the vin on it is falling in the cracked dash in between the windshield.

- , hawkins, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

dash cover cracking and rattling. this is growing more of a problem every day.

- , Nashville, NC, USA

Jun 152009

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I am a proud Dodge vehicle owner. I own a 97 and 98 Ram 1500. Both of which have busted Dashboards. This has become quite problematic as the hard pieces will fall into the dash & creates a rattle. Also they come off in very jagged pieces & create a hazard to myself & others. I also own a 2002 Intreped as well as a 2004 Ram 1500. As a loyal customer for many years, I would think that Dodge would stand good for this Dash issue even though it's not officially a recall of any kind.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 072002

Ram 1500 ES 5.2L

i got a 97 ram 1500 and its my first dodge ever i decided to change from gm since they are moving to china and good people are loosing there jobs . i just bought a ram 1500 and its in great shape with only 213000 kms on her well maintained accept a death wobble from a worn out track bar . just so you know don't get oem dodge replacement track bar unless you like wasting money , they don't last just get a moog brand its twice the price but life time warranty and way stronger . my truck also has the dash crack problem and seems many people have this problem . i think if dodge isn't going to help the original owners with this we should get together and find out where the owner of dodge lives and mail him all the broken dashes and when he see's the pile at his door step maybe he will realize how big the problem is . i never had a chevy dash ever break and i beat the snot out of them from spills to punches and i even crashed one at 110kms into concrete wall just recently and dash is still mint , truck is a rite off thou . lol i walked away with no injuries thank the lord . i hope i didn't make a mistake buying my dodge i do love this truck it feels real solid and i always loved the look , but the more i research the more nervous i get , its not good to know that a company wont back there product and word of mouth is more important the stupid ads ..

- , Niagara Falls, Ontario, canada

Apr 091999

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I WOULD SAY DODGE SHOULD RECALL THIS PROBLEM AS THERE HAS BEEN ALOT OF THESE DASHES THAT ARE BUSTED ,I MYSELF HAVE A 1994 RAM 1500 AND A 1997 RAM 1500 AND THEY ARE BOTH CRACKED. THE 97 WAS CRACKED SO BAD THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION TAG (VIN) IS MISSING. AS FEDERAL LAW STATES AS WELL AS STATE LAW THAT ITS ILLEGAL TO TAMPER WITH SO TO ME THIS WOULD BE TAMPERING WITH BY DODGE ITSELF. BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOT IT RIVETTED ON A JUNK DASH SO THE FEDERAL SHOULD GET INVOLVED AND MAKE THEM RECALL THEM JUNK DASHES.

- , Neelyville, MO, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

the enire dash panel has cracked and fell apart. the bezel around the gauges is cracked also. the entire top part of the dash is gone, exposing the wires and interior of the dash panel. it is embarrassing and awful to look at. i can not use the dash or the cup holder because of the problem.

- , Diboll, TX, USA

Jul 062012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I know the truck is old, but it has been garage kept for years. All the sudden, the dash starting cracking this year. It is annoying.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 211998

Ram 1500 Laramie Xlt 5.9L

I know Dodge has a problem with the dashes cracking and being unsafe. I have talked to Dodge for years about recalls and never nothing, I was in Florida and happened to see a news cast about the Ram truck dashes and have heard that they were going to finally recall them so I called Dodge and talked to Eric badge #EC693 and they have no recall yet and he had the guts to tell me that he only gets one or two complaints a year about the dashboards in Ram trucks and that America is what is wrong that is why Imports are kicking our butts. The craftsmanship is slack and then they LIE about it instead of fixing it. Had it been a Toyota, Honda, etc... the problem would have been fixed. I will never buy another Dodge!!!!!

- , Pembroke, GA, USA

Jun 192012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Not right ! Dodge needs to address the problem. I was thinking about buying another Dodge ram, but its on hold for now ! until l see what it's going to cost to fix?

- , Ragley, LA, USA

Mar 142002

Ram 1500

DODGE IS RESPONSIBLE....THEIR IS ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM IT SHOULD BE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO FIX

- , Converse, TX, USA

Dec 082001

Ram 1500 TL 318 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

IT'S A PITY THAT DODGE TREATS THERE BUYERS IN THIS MANNER, NEED TO BOYCOTT ALL DODGE COMPANIES UNTIL THEY MAKE RIGHT THE WRONG THAT THEY KNOW WAS DONE TO THEIR BUYER . THIS WILL MAKE THEM LOOK AT WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY FROM AND WHO GIVE THEM A GOOD ARE A BAD RATING. THE CONSUMERS CAN MAKE OR BREAK A COMPANY JUST BY LETTING OTHER KNOW HOW THEY WAS TREATED DURING THE SALE AND AFTER THE SALE.

IF EVERYONE STANDS TOGETHER, DODGE WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE IT RIGHT ARE SUFFER THE WRATH OF THE BUYERS. THEY CAN NOT MAKE IT WITHOUT US THE BUYER THINK ABOUT IT ,HOW DID THEY GET WHERE THEY ARE TODAY IF NOT FOR THE BUYERS. ONE PERSON CAN'T DO ANYTHING BUT NUMBER CAN MAKE A CHANGE .

THANKS

- , Hampstead, NC, USA

Jun 102009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Dodge dashboards are sh*t and dodge in their infanint wisdom should be able to come up with a better material to make dashboards out of

- , Oak Island, NC, USA

Feb 012006

Ram 1500 XLT

Fix the damn thing !!! I take great pride and care fo my truck but Ican do nothing with this problem Ihave never seen this problem in any other car or truck! Dis your good faithfull customers and see what happens! Next truck ain't gonna be a DODGE!!!!!!!!!

- , Pickens, SC, USA

Feb 082011

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT

Multiple cracks and mis-alignment of segments which if an accident occured could be dangerous. Is a definate eyesore.

- , Longmont, CO, USA