1. dodge should recall the dash (46 reports)
  3. new one (10 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (8 reports)
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Oct 042010

Ram 1500 Two Tone 3.18 V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

My dashboard cracked and caved in, dealer says not warranty issue

- , Maitland, FL, USA

Mar 012006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Dash is cracked from defrost units out to front of dash, and has a hole 6'x7' on passenger side above the airbag.

- , Newbern, NC, USA

May 222010

Ram 1500 SLT

1998 Dodge Ram dash is fallen apart. when you drive it the dash starts popping & shakes. DODGE NEEDS TO FIX THIS.. what if the airbags goes off in a wreck. the broken parts of the dash will be stuck in the drivers face. Also what are we to do with this pieces of SH_T trucks you can't trade them. or what crackhead would buy it from you. If / when they fall off will the truck pass a state inspection!!!!!

Obama where are you when need HELP!! DODGE FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!

- , Asheboro, NC, USA

Aug 012004

Ram 1500 ST 318

The date is estimated for I just found out where to complain. Noticed that it began cracking and as of this date a chunk of plastic has came completely out.

- , Smithville, GA, USA

May 022007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Well my dash fell apart.this is my first and last dodge

- , Arlington, TN, USA

May 192009

Ram 1500

- , Glenpool, OK, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 5.6

My Dashboard on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 is cracked and has been for some time. I contacted the dealership at Dodge and was told that there is nothing that they can do about it. Every Dodge that I have seen from 1995 and on have this same problem. I have not been able to replace this defected part because it cost around $2000.00 to have this replaced. I am concerned that a slight bump will cause the sharp pieces to fly off and strike my wife or son and or myself in the face area injuring us, while we are driving the vehicle.

- , Crawfordville, FL, USA

Mar 042007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

The dash has cracked so severly, when I place the tilt steering wheel in the up position all the electrical equipment quits working. My radio shuts off, windshield wipers stop, etc. I work with a contractor that uses Dodge trucks. He has six on the job, years 1998-2001, and everyone has a cracked dash.

Dodge should have recognized this problem years ago. I'm need for a new truck, with 241,000 miles plus currently, but I'm not looking at Dodge, because of their lack of support. They took the stimulus money to bail their ass out of hock, they should help the consumers that contributed their tax dollars for them. At least Ford didn't take any money.

- , Auburn, IL, USA

Sep 062006

Ram 1500 5.2L

the dash has cracked so bad it may fall out any time. thanks for duck tape

- , Tillatoba, MS, USA

May 052008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

My dash board is cracked all over. If I get into wreck, god help anyone inside the truck. Started with 1 small crack, now the whole dash is cracked all over. Dodge should recall the dash, everyone that I know that has a 97 or newer truck has this problem. My 2001 Chrysler voyager has the same problem with the plastic trim above the gauges.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 5.2L

I think that just one person will have a problem getting a lawyer but if we could get a law firm to do it as a nation wide lawsuit . Like everyone that wants to be part can donate $25 to $50 to this firm to handle this and I think we would get the attention this problem needs and I think we would get this done. It wont be a overnight fix but I dont think it will take as long as it has been.I personally cant shell that much money out to fix my dash but you can bet if someone get hert in my truck from flying pieces they will pay becouse I know they are aware of the problem.

- , Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jan 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

It is unbelieveable that a dash board can just cave in and disintegrate like this. I bought this truck for hunting so I can live with it, but I would never consider buying a new Dodge if this is the quality of their product and wont stand behind it. I have seen other sites where this has been a problem for Dodge for about a 5yr period. Reminds me of when all the paint was coming off the Ford vehicles because they changed their paint process and said it wasnt their fault. I will never buy another Ford because of this. American companies have to start standing behind their products. Everyone makes mistakes, but good companies correct them (Apple is the perfect example)

- , Valrico, FL, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

dodge should have it on the national recall list, a class action suite should be taken

- , Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Mar 122004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Bought my truck in Central Illinois in October 2000, with 19,477 miles on it. No problem except it went through front brake pads pretty quick. Garage parked. Saw a small dash top crack at the defroster vent passenger side in March 2004 with 59761 miles on truck. Moved to North Carolina, truck sat out until May 2009, and more cracks appeared. Moved to Sebring, Fl February 2010 and dash top went wild. I was sitting at a stop light and heard a loud pop. My dog in the back seat jumped! Dang thing split from the windsheild to the middle of the gauge cluster right to the black bezel. Bought a carpet cover, came today, going on tomorrow.

From what I have seen today Dodge has one hell of a problem they are blowing off. Sold a 1994 Explorer before we left NC, 148,000 miles, it sat out as long as my Dodge, and the dash top was perfect. The only vehicles I see consistantly with this mess are Dodge/Chrysler products of the last 15 years. Otherwise great, powerful comfortable, although gas hungry, tow vehicle.

- , Sebring, FL, USA

Jan 152007

Ram 1500 ST 3.8L

Dash is cracked in two places from the instrument panel to the windshield. A friend of mine with a 1999 model has the same issue with his. I never had a vehicle with this problem before.

- , Rural Hall, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 5.2L

its not right you spend all that money on something and it just falls apart going down the road the dash is a defect you can watch it break up going down the road i have naver had trubble with any other truck breaking up like this i take care of my trucks and to just have it fall apart for no reason .dodge should have to replace it not me no wander thay arent selling and have to get help to stay in bussiness i know if thay dont fix it i will naver buy anotherone from dodge a truck or a car

- , Statesville, NC, USA

Apr 082009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

Wow, wish I had known of this site earlier. So, like everyone else here, about a year ago I noticed a small crack had started to develop on the passenger side of the dashboard. Now, a lot of people here talked about garaging there truck, but I didn't. Since I live in South Texas, it gets hot here and there's lots of sun, so put it down to that, although I did keep the interior fairly well maintained and would often clean the dash and allegedly moisturize it I guess with generally acceptable trim treatments(not always the same kind), but Armorall, etc. It wasn't shortly thereafter that I started noticing that this small crack was now cracking the dash all over the place, spiderwebbing is the best to describe, and now, pieces are falling in. I never even thought about the fact that there's potential for the dash to become shrapnel in a crash and having the airbag deploy on some poor unlucky passenger ! That thought scares the beejebus out of me now!!

I agree with everyone here. This is a manufacturing problem and not do to lack of diligence or improper treatment or abuse (some like to punch the dash when upset...). Im appalled to think that such an issue is not important to Chrysler. I'm going to warn everyone I know, and myself nor my family (immediate and extended) will never, ever buy another product from Chrysler. Chrysler, get a clue you're cutting your nose to spite your face. How many cash carrying, credit worthy (or not) buyers do you think it's worth to lose before you chose to address this problem like a responsible corporate partner should? What a niave dult I've been.

- , Laredo, TX, USA

Mar 242010

Ram 1500 5.9L

my dash board is in about 10 peaces with some very sharp point on them and of good size. all i could do for now is to put a cover over it and hope no one gets hurt if i happen to put the breaks on hard for a quick stop.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Apr 152009

Ram 1500 1500 V8

Paid alot of money to have the dashboard break. Need a new one

- , Laredo, TX, USA

Dec 122007

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L

I think that Dodge should recall this item because my dash is not only cracked at the middle but its also cracked at the passenger side air badg as well which is a danger and I have to turn off my passenger side air bag in fear that it may falsely deploy. Please someone help make Dodge company recall this and fix this problem. If I have an accident and one of my family members especially my children get hurt there will be major problems!!!

- , Marion, VA, USA