8.3

1. dodge should recall the dash (46 reports)
  3. new one (10 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (8 reports)
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT

I bought my first new car in 1998 (1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT). I was very happy until about one year ago when I noticed a crack. Since then, the crack has continued is several places. This is very surprising being that it has been garaged most of its life. This brings another problem......the paint. The paint on the hood and roof is begining to fade. Again, this is a surprize being its been garaged most of its life. Anyone know if Dodge is doing anything about the cracked dash?

- , Corona, CA, USA

Oct 042009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

I bought my Ram1500 new from Dodge in Aug 1998, my truck is garage kept and under the shade at work with a sun shade since it was new. A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the interior when I first noticed one crack, then another, then another, I had heard of these problems, but thought I was immune since the only time my dash is exposed to the sun is when I'm driving, I was online pricing dashboards when I ran into this site.This is definitely a design flaw and should be addressed by Dodge, but I don't think it ever will, they want you to throw the whole truck away and buy a new one. My heater core is bad too, so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone.So far everything has gone wrong from the power steering pump to the A/c to the rear end.

Update from Oct 21, 2009: Ok, so I decided to call dodge and give it a try, they were very nice,answered phone promptly personnel tried to be very helpful. I spore with Jill one of the senior resolution specialist and she told me I needed to take the truck to a local dealer to have it checked out, I was given the option of any dealer, she new the millage, the year and the fact that I was the original owner when our conversation took place, she also told me that the $110.00 inspection was my responsibility, I asked what she thinks they could cover, she was very sorry, but until I took it in they couldn't do anything. Took it in, they were nice enough to not charge me for just taking a glance into my truck to see that the dash was cracked and the service manager complimented me on the great condition of my truck. While there talking to a parts guy I found out that this is also a major problem in the PT Cruiser and some other Dodge vehicles.

Next day ai called and spoke with Jill, she had talked to the service manager and came to the conclusion that my truck had too many miles and is out of warrantee so they would not be able to assist me. I told her thank you for your help and be assured that neither I or any of my family wi ever purchase another Chrysler product ever again and that I would make sure that everyone I know or talk to knows my story. Another reason why american auto makers should not have been bailed out. They could care less, once it's off their lot it's your problem and good luck, look at consumer reports and american vehicles, my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra, everyone that I know is very happy with theirs and they ride a heck of a lot better.Found an oem dash at this site http://wermopar.com/?gclid=COigh-PazJ0CFRaenAodEmXJrQ This was the part # for mine 5GK45LAZAC dark gray (Agate) 292.00 +32.00 for shipping then you'll have to install itPart number 5GK45RC8AC is for interior trim code C3 - "Cirrus" (?) colorPart number 5GK45VK9AB is for interior trim code K9 - "Suede" (tan) color. Good luck.

- , Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

omg, my dash is falling apart, among other things lol

- , Greensburg, PA, USA

Oct 182006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Bought from 2nd owner of vehicle that I know of and dash top section in perfect shape, but lower section had broken glove box hinges and cup holder. Thought nothing of it because I thought I'd be able to fix my self later little by little.. I was wrong. In mid 2006 I was replacing my driver side window track and when I reach across my cab to get my tools, I saw a couple cracks around the passenger air bag. Then I looked the dash over and saw that the driver side was almost ready to fall off at the corner where the actual trucks VIN number is stamped on the dash. Later that year I started to take the entire dash apart and when I thought I had the entire dash unscrewed, I still couldn't get it free. I looked high and low and all edges were free. I even tried it again a year later when I had more time to play around with it and ended in defeat. This time I bought the dealer repair manual. I hope soon I will be able to figure it out.

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 102007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Ever since the dash cover broke I have been having problems with the electric system. The two front speakers stop working, the speedometer stop working and the dash lights go "bazzerk" every once in a while. I believe this is a safety concern since this unit could ignite a fire or something worse. Chrysler should take notice and better yet the NHTSA should check upon this.

- , San Juan, PR, Puerto Rico

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 that only has 68,000 miles (which is pretty low for an 11 year old truck), and the dash is cracked pretty bad! I also had a 97 Ram 1500 that had about 90,000 miles, and that dash had huge holes in it where things would fall in to be lost forever! The 97's dash was so bad the glove box fell out!!!!

- , Beaufort, SC, USA

May 072008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Slt 5.2L V8

Just like everybody else, started with a single crack and then there was gaping holes. You would be driving down road and you can hear dash crack again & again. I would not buy a dodge product again, if dodge doesn't step up to the plate and take care of defective dash board. I am worried if I get in a wreck and the air bag deploys that passenger will get sprayed in the face with shrapnel from the dash. A very dangerous situation, in my opinion.

- , Concord, CA, USA

Jun 152005

Ram 1500 5.2L

My truck is a work truck, is 10 years old with 54,000 miles and garage kept. The number of dash problems reported indicates it is a manufacturing issue. If American auto makers want loyalty, they need to earn it. It's a business decision. If they make too many bad decisions, they can expect to continue to need bail outs, until they drive the company into the ground.

- , Windermere, FL, USA

Jan 132009

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 5.9L

Bought this truck used so i don't know how it was cleaned or maintained before i had it. It had one small crack in it and within two weeks it broke completely apart. There is only about twelve inches of dash remaining in front of the driver. I've had three other dodge trucks that this did not happen while i had them. The plastic they used is just crap. Every other truck I see in town that is this model is the same way. Oh well, maybe my next truck will be a Tundra!

- , Stephenville, TX, USA

Jun 121999

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L V8

the dash had a small crack then it started cracking all over.now i have big holes all over it.dodge should be held accountable for all the dashes that are falling apart.the dealer said it was the heat in Florida that started this.i have not seen a truck in the range of 1998 to 2000 that does not have a crack in it.as many complaints that their is i don't see why this cant be fixed.

- , Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jul 062006

Ram 1500 SLT 318

Have read others with the same problem and agree that this is a manufacturers defect and that Dodge should replace and/or pay the owner to have repairs made.

- , Hoffman, NC, USA

Feb 122004

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L V8

Chrysler needs to fix these cracked dashes un der warranty because i am looking at purchasing a new truck and keeping my old truck but the way it looks right know it want be a dodge unless the repair the dash problems if not i will probably be driving a Chevrolet next year.

- , Gibsonvile, NC, USA

Aug 122008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Based on other complaints mine didn't start cracking til this year, so it lasted alot longer than most. I do think that Dodge should cover this as I often put a good dash cleaner/softener on it in hopes I wouldn't have this problem. I do and think it should be replaced at Chrysler's cost. I would like to purchase a Dodge Ram 2500 but would opt to purchase a Toyota or Nissan if this is not resolved ASAP.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Apr 052007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

same as all others. I'm still looking for a new dashboard.(hopefully wont crack again)

- , eustis, FL, USA

May 012006

Ram 1500 5.9L

This seems to be ongoing with a lot of people. Dodge needs to do something to correct the situation.. Toyota is looking good to me!

- , Honea Path, SC, USA

Jun 182008

Ram 1500 5.2L, 318

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

See how big that crack is. It was like that in less than one day.

- , Camarillo, CA, USA

May 102006

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L V8

dodge should be paying for this problem or at least helping with it because this is my second dash and i'm tired of buying new ones

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 232007

Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Laramie 5.2L V8

Like the others reported, my dash started out with small cracks that grew over time. After reading about Daimler/Chrysler lack of ownership of the problem, I decided to fix it myself with the Coverlay plastic dash cover. It look OK, not as good as a new dash but certainly better than the cracked one. The only caveat is that it will only work if your dash is relatively intact. Those of you with the huge holes will probably not be able to use this fix.

- , Princeton, TX, USA

Jun 302007

Ram 1500 5.9L

I have already called dodge dealerships around the area and they have stated its on a case to case basis but even the rep on the recall line where I got my reference number told me it should be on recall also because they (2001 dodge rams) are all the same dashboards. I know a lot fo people with dodge rams that have already had to have their dashboards replaced but I can't afford it and some of us just have out nice trucks looks like crap because of the broken up dash. I hope dodge fixes this because I really do love my truck but i think this will definitely interfere with me buying anyone if they don't help with this. I do believe they know they are wrong. I wrote the local news station that had a lot of media on this from Pt Cruisers to Neons so rams are not the only on it is happening to. They haven yet contacted me back yet but I do plan on hearing something!!

- , Palm Bay, FL, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Just what to no if there is a defect under dash that caused it or why it happened all of a sudden.

- , Henderson, KY, USA