2. replace with new dashboard (53 reports)
  3. should be a recall (32 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Oct 102006

Ram 1500 5.3L

Super annoying. Would like Dodge to fix it as a recall if possible.

- , Hathaway Pines, CA, USA

Jun 132003

Ram 1500 V8

I spent over one thousand dollars trying to fix my truck. Bought a new battery; I didn't need if not for that cracked, broken dash. It feel apart causing my glove box to hang open which drained the battery. It got all in the air vents and caused problems. Dodge should have recalled all the trucks with bad dash boards! I live on a fixed income and had to save to replace the dash. I had problems with my wiring because of the dash. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I had it replaced at my expense. I've heard since then it"s very common in the Dodge 1500 trucks. Shame on Dodge!! I love my truck.:( It makes me sad to think they don't care anymore than that about their buyers.

- , Hartsville, SC, USA

Mar 072007

Ram 1500 S9AZ 5.2L V8

I'm not going to rant and yell about the problem that I have, just like others with their problems with the trashed dash. Dodge knows that they have a problem with the dashes in their vehicles and I think they should man up and fix the dam problem.You know it makes me wonder if I'm going to have the same problem with my other Dodge truck it's a 2011.

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA

May 102005

Ram 1500 5.2L

This is a huge problem, it has cause wires to rub raw and short against each other. My instruments won't hold in to the dash and scares me that in a wreck the shards will turn to shrapnel.

- , Howe, USA

Jun 152011

Ram 1500 V6

I bought my truck used with 32,000 miles (one owner a business) in March 2001 to pull my boat. This is the two door model. 4x4 Automatic, tow package. I have always had window covers on my cars. (I have just sold my 1997 Chevy Blazer 2 door 4x4 S 10 that I bought brand new special order. I did not have one crack in the dash, not a cracked window, body in great shape for having it for 18 years. It had 130,000 miles on it)

My truck to date March 2015 has only 85,000 miles on it. It has been serviced every 3 months for oil changes, new tire when needed , , tires rotated when needed, body of truck only hand washed with special soap, interior is vinyl flooring and cloth seats. It was my all purpose truck to haul my grandkids fishing, and do all my handy stuff around the house. Not one tear or stain in the seating. Floors without any wear and tear. Easy to keep immaculate.

The only downer- I was shocked when I saw small cracks starting at window and coming across dash. MY truck has never been in an accident, never been left out in the sun without proper cover, and I take excellent car of my cars. I just sold my mini cooper 2006 with 34,000 miles in immaculate shape. Here I sit with my truck dash looking like crap. No fault on my part. My other cars have never done this. IN all my years I have had many nice cars (Corvettes, show trucks, Thunderbird, Chevy Malibu 1968 bought off the show room, 1964 Grand Prix 427.) No car has done what this Ram is doing.

I love the truck - hate watching it start to fall apart. Calling around to fix it- the dealer wants $2000. dollars.I refuse to get taken on a defective part. I looked on YOU tube to see how to change it myself and went to junk yard of wrecked cars trying to locate a replacement dash but they usually are already cracked from wreck. I have put clear tape strip over crack to attempt to keep it from creeping farther. I am babying it hoping this comes up a recall even though it is years later. I don't want to have any danger from flying pieces someday. I refuse to put rug looking thing over the top on my dash. That would look ridiculous.

I hope someone makes Dodge accountable to fixing this problem. I just got rid of my other cars upon retiring and bought used Ford Escape. It has had good reviews as far as I have found on net. I want my truck fixed so I can still enjoy it with safety.

- , Kennewick, WA, USA

Mar 012014

Ram 1500 5.2L 318 V8

Look, I have been a Mopar guy my whole driving life...heck even before! I have owned 4 of these 1994-2001 Dodge ram trucks. I really can not grasp the whole deal of why Chrysler Corporation will not meet the safety issues that are present with these low standard plastic upper dash boards. I have noticed that they all have a decal located inside the dash panel itself that reads...Made in Mexico. Really? I mean...Really?

Surely the Corporation knew first hand how low the standards were in Mexico at the time these dash panels were manufactured. Yet, they were allowed to go through! Now, we all know that it was the bottom line of "Get em' built and Get em' sold!", Money! Chrysler Corporation used to stand for something that was held as quality bar none!! What happened? Would it not be easy to just fix the complaints for the few trucks that are still on the road for the owners who actually care about their safety combined with the trucks appearance?

I have fixed 3 of these myself already with my own cash and my own hands. I think it's time for Chrysler to hear their consumers before they lose many to other brands...for something soooo easy to fix that it would be stupid not to! I will remain a Mopar guy...but I lose a little more respect for the brand with every dash I see or hear of being cracked in the 94-01 Rams! Besides the problem being just terrible looking, it is a safety issue which should be addressed. After all, We all deserve to be heard and be proud to show our Dodge Ram trucks off with pride!

- , Mendenhall, MS, USA

Oct 032005

Ram 1500 WS V6

This dash issue it ridiculous. Every Dodge Ram owner I have spoken with has complained about this same problem. The dash simply falls apart. It is now turning into a safety issue as sharp sections of the dash fly off when the truck is driven with the window(s) open. It is also exposing my under dash electrical to sun and liquid. It is just ridiculous that this hasn't been taken care of by Dodge.

- , larkspur, CO, USA

May 122010

Ram 1500 5.2L

Cleaning the dashboard one day. A week later is started cracking all over. It's in pieces now and looks horrible.

- , Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Dec 142014

- , Danville, VA, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

This is a very badly broken dash top to the point that I need to replace my heater core and to do so will be an all out mess having to remove the dash in pieces and will probably not be able to put it back together with any of the pieces so it will look even more like sh*t than it does now. I am a Dodge fan but I am very disgusted with my dash. Also I am very concerned about what might happen in the event of a crash.

- , Lebanon, MO, USA

Feb 062005

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

To be honest I traded for this truck, the dash was 95% gone when that happened. It has gotten worse as I drive it, now only have little bits of it left (mainly by the top of the passenger air bag). I have been pricing it out and most jobs for a shop to do this would be near $750 unless I was okay with standard black color, then I am looking at $650. Or to try myself, still my labor and $400 for dash!!

- , Holida, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 Larime Sl 5.9L

I have never had a vehicle with this problem. I know the problem is wide spread and Chrysler is ignoring all the complaints. I feel they should fix the problem on their own or be forced to fix it!

- , Desoto, MO, USA

Aug 012005

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L Magnum

Dash was just falling apart. Every week it would get worse. when I finally decided to have it fixed you could have sat a watermelon in the hole.

- , West Point, KY, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.2L V8

My dash board is cracked pretty bad and pieces are starting to dislodge and falling off the dash in the floor. A few days ago I set my sunglasses on the top over the steering wheel and went to reach for them and stuck the side of my hand on a sharp edge of a piece of the dash that has cracked with a sharp point on it. As an automotive technician I see this problem on just about all Dodge trucks.

This is a defect. Problem that needs addressing by Chrysler Corp. before this problem becomes a projectile problem that will result in more injuries. Other manufacturers have had to recall and fix their dash boards for similar issues so this should be no different. As for the lame excuses like out of warranty or vehicle is old, if Chrysler would not of shoved all these complaints under the rug and ignored the problem and fixed it when first started cropping up then vehicles age would not of been an issue. Bottom line is it is a manufacturer defect using substandard cheap materials and this is the result.

I can not justify a $800+ cost to replace a defective dash with another of the same cheap material that will again result in more cracking over time. Chrysler needs to jump in and fix this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed from flying dash pieces in the event of air bag deployment in a crash. I already have 1 cut on the side of my hand because of it. This problem has progressed to far now its time for Chrysler to step up and recall these trucks and fix the problem now before someone really gets hurt.

- , Columbia, KY, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

The dash of my truck cracked, caved into the vents and wiring. Now, whenever I turn on the vent system, plastic blows everywhere and I worry about wiring issues due to being rubbed by the plastic.

- , Westland, MI, USA

Sep 152011

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

My dashboard is crumpling and little pieces of plastic are know falling into vents and blowing around. This could blow in my eyes and cause an accident. This problem needs to be fixed by Dodge at no charge. This vehicle has very low mileage(50,000). It should be taken care of by Dodge. NO CHARGE!!!

- , Shelby Township, MI, USA

Sep 142006

Ram 1500 5.2L

Dash started cracking, ended up looking like a road map. Then on day the passenger side just fell in leaving a big hole. Dodge should've replaced these defected dashes instead of ignoring it. But you can fix it yourself with an overlay cover from LMC Truck, they also offer a permanent replacement dash pad.

- , Max Meadows, VA, USA

Jan 152011

Ram 1500 Sport

The dash started with a crack occurring for no reason at all. Then another crack, and another, and another to the point where chunks of the dash were falling down into the space behind my dash. This could have an effect on the wiring, circuitry, even the air bags because the edges of the plastic chunks are very sharp.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 042013

Ram 1500 ST 5.8L

Dash cracking out around attachment points at base of window. Stress cracks beginning to expand from there. I understand wear items failing, but a dash. I take very good care of my vehicles

- , Irving, TX, USA

Nov 032010

Ram 1500 5.2L

The dash has one main crack down the middle. It starts at the windshield and goes to the the front dash. I've put duct tape on it.

- , Mount Airy, MD, USA