8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (52 reports)
  3. should be a recall (30 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (21 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Mar 012014

Ram 1500 5.2L 318 V8

Look, I have been a Mopar guy my whole driving life...heck even before! I have owned 4 of these 1994-2001 Dodge ram trucks. I really can not grasp the whole deal of why Chrysler Corporation will not meet the safety issues that are present with these low standard plastic upper dash boards. I have noticed that they all have a decal located inside the dash panel itself that reads...Made in Mexico. Really? I mean...Really?

Surely the Corporation knew first hand how low the standards were in Mexico at the time these dash panels were manufactured. Yet, they were allowed to go through! Now, we all know that it was the bottom line of "Get em' built and Get em' sold!", Money! Chrysler Corporation used to stand for something that was held as quality bar none!! What happened? Would it not be easy to just fix the complaints for the few trucks that are still on the road for the owners who actually care about their safety combined with the trucks appearance?

I have fixed 3 of these myself already with my own cash and my own hands. I think it's time for Chrysler to hear their consumers before they lose many to other brands...for something soooo easy to fix that it would be stupid not to! I will remain a Mopar guy...but I lose a little more respect for the brand with every dash I see or hear of being cracked in the 94-01 Rams! Besides the problem being just terrible looking, it is a safety issue which should be addressed. After all, We all deserve to be heard and be proud to show our Dodge Ram trucks off with pride!

- , Mendenhall, MS, USA

Oct 032005

Ram 1500 WS V6

This dash issue it ridiculous. Every Dodge Ram owner I have spoken with has complained about this same problem. The dash simply falls apart. It is now turning into a safety issue as sharp sections of the dash fly off when the truck is driven with the window(s) open. It is also exposing my under dash electrical to sun and liquid. It is just ridiculous that this hasn't been taken care of by Dodge.

- , larkspur, Colorado, USA

May 122010

Ram 1500 5.2L

Cleaning the dashboard one day. A week later is started cracking all over. It's in pieces now and looks horrible.

- , Stone Mountain, Georgia, USA

Dec 142014

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

THE COMPANY DOESN'T SEEM TO BE DEDICATED TO THE CUSTOMER OR ITS PRODUCT AT ALL. IT IS ONLY LOYAL TO THE DOLLAR. A NICE TRUCK IS BEING TRASHED FOR PROFIT. INSTEAD OF RAM TOUGH IT IS RAM TRASH.

- , Danville, Virginia, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

This is a very badly broken dash top to the point that I need to replace my heater core and to do so will be an all out mess having to remove the dash in pieces and will probably not be able to put it back together with any of the pieces so it will look even more like sh*t than it does now. I am a Dodge fan but I am very disgusted with my dash. Also I am very concerned about what might happen in the event of a crash.

- , Lebanon, MO, USA

Feb 062005

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

To be honest I traded for this truck, the dash was 95% gone when that happened. It has gotten worse as I drive it, now only have little bits of it left (mainly by the top of the passenger air bag). I have been pricing it out and most jobs for a shop to do this would be near $750 unless I was okay with standard black color, then I am looking at $650. Or to try myself, still my labor and $400 for dash!!

- , Holida, Florida, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 Larime Sl 5.9L

I have never had a vehicle with this problem. I know the problem is wide spread and Chrysler is ignoring all the complaints. I feel they should fix the problem on their own or be forced to fix it!

- , Desoto, MO, USA

Aug 012005

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L Magnum

Dash was just falling apart. Every week it would get worse. when I finally decided to have it fixed you could have sat a watermelon in the hole.

- , West Point, Kentucky, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.2L V8

My dash board is cracked pretty bad and pieces are starting to dislodge and falling off the dash in the floor. A few days ago I set my sunglasses on the top over the steering wheel and went to reach for them and stuck the side of my hand on a sharp edge of a piece of the dash that has cracked with a sharp point on it. As an automotive technician I see this problem on just about all Dodge trucks.

This is a defect. Problem that needs addressing by Chrysler Corp. before this problem becomes a projectile problem that will result in more injuries. Other manufacturers have had to recall and fix their dash boards for similar issues so this should be no different. As for the lame excuses like out of warranty or vehicle is old, if Chrysler would not of shoved all these complaints under the rug and ignored the problem and fixed it when first started cropping up then vehicles age would not of been an issue. Bottom line is it is a manufacturer defect using substandard cheap materials and this is the result.

I can not justify a $800+ cost to replace a defective dash with another of the same cheap material that will again result in more cracking over time. Chrysler needs to jump in and fix this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed from flying dash pieces in the event of air bag deployment in a crash. I already have 1 cut on the side of my hand because of it. This problem has progressed to far now its time for Chrysler to step up and recall these trucks and fix the problem now before someone really gets hurt.

- , Columbia, KY, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

The dash of my truck cracked, caved into the vents and wiring. Now, whenever I turn on the vent system, plastic blows everywhere and I worry about wiring issues due to being rubbed by the plastic.

- , Westland, MI, USA

Sep 152011

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

My dashboard is crumpling and little pieces of plastic are know falling into vents and blowing around. This could blow in my eyes and cause an accident. This problem needs to be fixed by Dodge at no charge. This vehicle has very low mileage(50,000). It should be taken care of by Dodge. NO CHARGE!!!

- , Shelby Township, MI, USA

Sep 142006

Ram 1500 5.2L

Dash started cracking, ended up looking like a road map. Then on day the passenger side just fell in leaving a big hole. Dodge should've replaced these defected dashes instead of ignoring it. But you can fix it yourself with an overlay cover from LMC Truck, they also offer a permanent replacement dash pad.

- , Max Meadows, VA, USA

Jan 152011

Ram 1500 Sport

The dash started with a crack occurring for no reason at all. Then another crack, and another, and another to the point where chunks of the dash were falling down into the space behind my dash. This could have an effect on the wiring, circuitry, even the air bags because the edges of the plastic chunks are very sharp.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 042013

Ram 1500 ST 5.8L

Dash cracking out around attachment points at base of window. Stress cracks beginning to expand from there. I understand wear items failing, but a dash. I take very good care of my vehicles

- , Irving, TX, USA

Nov 032010

Ram 1500 5.2L

The dash has one main crack down the middle. It starts at the windshield and goes to the the front dash. I've put duct tape on it.

- , Mount Airy, MD, USA

May 202012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

Passenger’s side of the dashboard. Rested my hand atop the dashboard over the passenger’s airbag and the top of the dash panel cracked and fell-in, the rough edge of the broken dash board cut finger. Surprisingly, as I looked for a new replace top for the dashboard I found a number of Dodge Ram owners experiencing the identical problem with the cracking dash panel.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 082002

Ram 1500 V8

We bought the truck when it was one year old with 13000 miles. After about two years the cracking of the dash started. It wasn't even hot outside. My husband contacted Dodge when the cracking started. It wasn't something they would fix. They did not even want to talk about it. The replacement dash was not something we could do once the labor was figured in.

The first crack was in the middle, just slightly more to the passenger side from the windshield to about the glove compartment on the passenger side, it quickly spread until a triangle shape piece fell inside somewhere. The dash has continued to crack and fall apart.

We found other owners have the same problem. We thought Dodge was the best we could get in a truck when we bought it. My husband had owned Dodge vehicles. It was our choice of vehicles. We went to a Dodge dealership to find the used truck. We have babied it in every way possible. People always tell me how great the outside of it looks..almost like new. My husband washes it about every two weeks. He changes the oil regularly. It looks great on the outside. The velour upholstery looks fine. But the plastic inside is a mess. It's always been parked in the carport.

The fact that it was already a known problem and Dodge didn't recall it is just inconceivable. It's a huge disappointment; we will never buy another Dodge. We will drive it until we can't drive it anymore. We can't, after all, get anything worth a hoot for it in trade. But, we are DONE with Dodge.

- , Jacksonville, FL - Florida, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 SLT 5.0L V8

I traded for this ram back in '01, it was my dream to own one. It wasn't long before I noticed a crack forming on the right side up near the windshield. I guess I figured it was just one of those things. Seems like it just went to crap in a short time. One day it was a small area affected then overnight there were cracks all over it. Each day or so they are worse some pieces are gone, fallen thru and laying somewhere under the dash. I contacted the dealership and they said it was not under warranty. It was concidered a cosmetic problem. It was probably due to lack of care on my part. I talked, sent letters , and emails. The same answer from everyone, if I got any answer at all. They ignore hoping you go away. Well it almost worked, until I found out that I am not alone. I am a part of thousands of dash people. We should unite and take it to dodge. If we did would we get a better response? I don't want my dash replaced with another defective part. Has anyone looked at who manufactured the dash to begin with. It may have been outsourced to a company that could be held responsible for the defect? I know that we all need some answers and a solution to the problem. Dodge needs to step up and make it right. You can bet your ass they will reduce your trade in value at the dealership even at a Dodge dealer. Enough is enough something has to give.

- , Unionville, TN, USA

Aug 152006

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 5.9L

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

Dash began caving in and big chunks falling out, exposing wires, air vents and heater core. This problem started about 4 to 5 tears after owning truck. I've met several people with the same problem happening to there dodges some a few years older and some several years newer. I've been told that it's a defective plastic that was used in model years I think 97 through 05 I'ts really annoying and looks like crap, I also believe it poses a safety hazard, pieces have blown out of air vents hitting me or others in the face luckily no eye injuries have happened, I would hate to imagine what would happen if I got in wreck and the airbags deployed, I would have shards of sharp pointy plastic flying at a high rate of speed at my or my passengers face. Dash is continually deteriorating, pieces fall off while driving down road, hit a bump and there goes another piece, this is not a krazy glue fix.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

The dash should not crack, I have had older vehicles and not one crack.

This is a safety hazard and should be fixed by a recall.

- , Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA