8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (51 reports)
  3. should be a recall (25 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (21 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Sep 152011

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

My dashboard is crumpling and little pieces of plastic are know falling into vents and blowing around. This could blow in my eyes and cause an accident. This problem needs to be fixed by Dodge at no charge. This vehicle has very low mileage(50,000). It should be taken care of by Dodge. NO CHARGE!!!

- , Shelby Township, MI, USA

Sep 142006

Ram 1500 5.2L

Dash started cracking, ended up looking like a road map. Then on day the passenger side just fell in leaving a big hole. Dodge should've replaced these defected dashes instead of ignoring it. But you can fix it yourself with an overlay cover from LMC Truck, they also offer a permanent replacement dash pad.

- , Max Meadows, VA, USA

Jan 152011

Ram 1500 Sport

The dash started with a crack occurring for no reason at all. Then another crack, and another, and another to the point where chunks of the dash were falling down into the space behind my dash. This could have an effect on the wiring, circuitry, even the air bags because the edges of the plastic chunks are very sharp.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 042013

Ram 1500 ST 5.8L

Dash cracking out around attachment points at base of window. Stress cracks beginning to expand from there. I understand wear items failing, but a dash. I take very good care of my vehicles

- , Irving, TX, USA

Nov 032010

Ram 1500 5.2L

The dash has one main crack down the middle. It starts at the windshield and goes to the the front dash. I've put duct tape on it.

- , Mount Airy, MD, USA

May 202012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

Passenger’s side of the dashboard. Rested my hand atop the dashboard over the passenger’s airbag and the top of the dash panel cracked and fell-in, the rough edge of the broken dash board cut finger. Surprisingly, as I looked for a new replace top for the dashboard I found a number of Dodge Ram owners experiencing the identical problem with the cracking dash panel.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 082002

Ram 1500 V8

We bought the truck when it was one year old with 13000 miles. After about two years the cracking of the dash started. It wasn't even hot outside. My husband contacted Dodge when the cracking started. It wasn't something they would fix. They did not even want to talk about it. The replacement dash was not something we could do once the labor was figured in.

The first crack was in the middle, just slightly more to the passenger side from the windshield to about the glove compartment on the passenger side, it quickly spread until a triangle shape piece fell inside somewhere. The dash has continued to crack and fall apart.

We found other owners have the same problem. We thought Dodge was the best we could get in a truck when we bought it. My husband had owned Dodge vehicles. It was our choice of vehicles. We went to a Dodge dealership to find the used truck. We have babied it in every way possible. People always tell me how great the outside of it looks..almost like new. My husband washes it about every two weeks. He changes the oil regularly. It looks great on the outside. The velour upholstery looks fine. But the plastic inside is a mess. It's always been parked in the carport.

The fact that it was already a known problem and Dodge didn't recall it is just inconceivable. It's a huge disappointment; we will never buy another Dodge. We will drive it until we can't drive it anymore. We can't, after all, get anything worth a hoot for it in trade. But, we are DONE with Dodge.

- , Jacksonville, FL - Florida, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 SLT 5.0L V8

I traded for this ram back in '01, it was my dream to own one. It wasn't long before I noticed a crack forming on the right side up near the windshield. I guess I figured it was just one of those things. Seems like it just went to crap in a short time. One day it was a small area affected then overnight there were cracks all over it. Each day or so they are worse some pieces are gone, fallen thru and laying somewhere under the dash. I contacted the dealership and they said it was not under warranty. It was concidered a cosmetic problem. It was probably due to lack of care on my part. I talked, sent letters , and emails. The same answer from everyone, if I got any answer at all. They ignore hoping you go away. Well it almost worked, until I found out that I am not alone. I am a part of thousands of dash people. We should unite and take it to dodge. If we did would we get a better response? I don't want my dash replaced with another defective part. Has anyone looked at who manufactured the dash to begin with. It may have been outsourced to a company that could be held responsible for the defect? I know that we all need some answers and a solution to the problem. Dodge needs to step up and make it right. You can bet your ass they will reduce your trade in value at the dealership even at a Dodge dealer. Enough is enough something has to give.

- , Unionville, TN, USA

Aug 152006

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 5.9L

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

Dash began caving in and big chunks falling out, exposing wires, air vents and heater core. This problem started about 4 to 5 tears after owning truck. I've met several people with the same problem happening to there dodges some a few years older and some several years newer. I've been told that it's a defective plastic that was used in model years I think 97 through 05 I'ts really annoying and looks like crap, I also believe it poses a safety hazard, pieces have blown out of air vents hitting me or others in the face luckily no eye injuries have happened, I would hate to imagine what would happen if I got in wreck and the airbags deployed, I would have shards of sharp pointy plastic flying at a high rate of speed at my or my passengers face. Dash is continually deteriorating, pieces fall off while driving down road, hit a bump and there goes another piece, this is not a krazy glue fix.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

The dash should not crack, I have had older vehicles and not one crack.

This is a safety hazard and should be fixed by a recall.

- , Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

Feb 252013

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Update from Mar 26, 2013: When I bought the Ram, couple years ago 2010, there where already cracks in it! On the 25th of Feb., while at work, it was raining and me and a co-worker were installing a new radio I just got. So, I rested my arm on the dash and all just crumbled in; pieces just broke off at barely a touch!!! Now I have a big ol hole in the middle of the DASH!!

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500

I was disturbed that the dash started cracking. Cosmetically it looked very bad and I was ashamed to show myself in this vehicle. I propped the pieces back in place so it wouldn't have holes showing. I cut my hand while re-installing the pieces once. I was not proud of Dodge for this anomaly. I bought a dash cover and installed it over the broken dash and it cost me about $100.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Aug 272010

Ram 1500 1500 V8

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 and both dashes are busted up. I finally realized that there was a problem when both were doing it. I got into my husband's truck and cut my hand. As I was working on my hand my son let me know that his was also doing this. Niether let me know they thought it was just the sun. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. NOT ONLY DID I CUT MYSELF, BUT MY SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER RIDES IN THESE VEHICLES AS WELL. IF THEY EVER GET INTO AN ACCIDENT THOSE BUSTED DASHING ARE GOING TO BE LIKE SHARPNEL GOING OFF WHEN THE AIR BAGS COME OUT. Something definately needs to be done. Filing a complaint with dodge. I also have a 2007 Dodge Durango. I am a dodge girl but this in unexceptable. I will be uploading pictures.

- , Cairo, GA, USA

Aug 252005

Ram 1500 V6

I have tried to use that vinyl repair stuff to fix this problem. Whenever I would get one crack glued together, another one appeared.

Last year in February, the whole thing started cracking up and it was like a fault line where earthquakes occur. Now all that's left is a gaping hole where my dash used to be!!!! My truck looks like a monster on wheels and it does not even have a 150,000 miles on it yet. BUMMER!!!

My brother has a 2003 dodge ram 1500 that has the same problem. He paid someone to fix the first crack in his dash, but that didn't stop others from happening.

SHAME ON DODGE CHRYSLER!!!

THIS PROBLEM HAS PEOPLE WHO WOULD BE LOYAL CUSTOMERS RETHINKING THEIR CHOICES.

- , College Park, GA, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

What started off as small crack has now spread over the whole dashboard.

- , Coldstream, BC, canada

Feb 152005

Ram 1500 V8

I love my Dodge pickup but am really disappointed that the dash has fallen out and is completely cracked all over. I am disappointed that Dodge will do nothing to help with this dangerous problem.

- , Ackerly, TX, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 1500

I have never been so ashamed of Dodge. They have known about this problem with the cheap plastics that are used in their dashboards. I have no other complaints with my truck, other than the dashboard. It is slowly disintegrating into pieces, and cracks everywhere. I do not know how they can go to sleep at night, knowing they are a party to the shoddy workmanship!!! I will again say YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES.

- , Seguin, Texas (TX), USA

Oct 032008

Ram 1500 Sport 360 V8

The dash at first had a little crack. Put some tape..then peices fell off. Put cloth dash cover. Then entire dash crumbled when trying to fix air conditioner. There was no dash. We had no choice but to get a new dash and have it put in. Could not find anyplace to complain to, until now. .

- , St. Martinville, LA, USA

Dec 002000

Ram 1500 Laramie V8

Just a really terrible problem. Dangerous and unsightly.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 012003

Ram 1500

the dash is falling all to pieces it is just barley holding on. it rattles and drives you crazy. i have another one the same year and its the same way too, and my brother has one too with the dash falling apart. please recall it.

- , odum, GA Georgia, USA