8.6

1. dodge should make this a major recall (82 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (67 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (20 reports)
  5. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
  6. recall defective dash (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Feb 142008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The dash started breaking up about 5 years ago. I always had a dash cover so at least it wasn't visible. I only realized it about 5 years ago but it probably was breaking before I saw it due to it being covered. I've tried to find a replacement at salvage yards ever since I discovered the damage but nobody has them . Every place I went to says it's a common problem with Dodge trucks and as soon as they get a usable dash it immediately sells.

I started looking online to find one and found unbelievable amounts of complaints about this same issue and Dodge refuses to do anything to help. The affected trucks are '98-2003 and mine is a 2001 that I've owned for 12 years.I called Dodge when I learned that this is a safety hazard--dash pieces can drop down causing the lights to stop working, the airbags to deploy while driving or not deploy at all if there is a crash. The windows could be down and the wind could cause a piece to fly up and injure the driver--things like that. This is when I contacted Dodge and I was instructed to take it to a dealer for photos and call them back. I did this but when I called back , they didn't care about the photos. They simply sent me to a dealership to waste a few hours of my day . Didn't even ask which dealer has the photos. Just said they wouldn't do anything about it. It is shameful to treat a longtime Dodge owner this way.

My truck interior is in near perfect condition and has 118,000 miles. I've had to replace the radiator but other than that my truck has been a gem for the 12 years I've owned it. The New York Times has even done an article about the Dodge truck dash problem and cites over 1700 complaints for this exact problem. Google "Dodge dashboard" and the top links are people having this issue. Mechanics, junk/salvage yards and everybody else is aware of this manufacturing problem but Dodge does nothing. It is clearly a fault in the manufacturing process of the plastic dashboard and will cost probably $1200-1600 to fix.

- , Sarasota, Florida, USA

Mar 072014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L:V8

Dodge should make this a recall since its so hard to find A REPLACEMENT BECAUSE ALL ARE CRACKED. MINE CAME COMPLETELY APART, PIECES WENT EVERYWHERE.

- , Pueblo West, Colorado, USA

Jan 072014

Ram 1500 Slt 4x4 5.9L

I have looked at many complaints about this and dodge should do something. it is a safety hazard and people could be injured by it. Ford had to do a recall like this over the same thing many years ago how come dodge don't? you can look it up. the safety council deemed it unsafe.

- , Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 072013

Ram 1500 5.9L

I have a huge crack in my dash along with a few small cracks. Have been told its due to age but I disagree!! I own SEVERAL Dodge vehicles I have this problem with only one. I own a 82 Ram dash looks like new. The dash has been covered for years and is not parked in direct sun. I have been very loyal to the Dodge brand and I am very disappointed that this issue has not been fixed.

- , Luray, Virginia, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

The dash in my truck is such terrible condition that the glove box fell out on my passengers feet and busted

her toe, turning her toe and foot black and blue. There are pieces falling from the main dash as big as a dinner plate, I mean you can throw a cat through these holes. I did my best to glue the pieces back into piece, but as with anything broken, all the pieces did not fit adequately enough for the entire dash to go back together. I cannot get the gauge trim to stay on without duct tape. I never thought that putting my dash back together like a jigsaw puzzle with a bottle of GORILLA GLUE would be part of enjoying my truck. There is not a plastic piece inside, map light console, etc. that has held up. You expect a certain amount of wear and tear when you own a vehicle, but a dash should be solid enough to take a great amount of the brunt of a head on collision. I would think that safety and company integrity would be enough to warrant a recall,

- , Walker, WV, USA

Jul 182012

Ram 1500

Finally noticed the dashboard cracking which is severe.

- , Ocean Shores, WA, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 Magnum V8

I want to sell my truck, and though the broken dashboard doesn't interfere with its operation, it looks worse than, well, you know what. It isn't just cracked, it's broken into many large pieces, with half of the dash missing. The plastic is brittle. I don't want to replace it with the same product. Does anybody know of another year or model that would fit? I think I should be able to go into a Dodge dealership and get it replaced for free. It is obviously a manufacturing defect.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L V8

Entire dashboard (top portion) is cracked and broken. I've had to throw bits and pieces of it away. Dodge will not do anything to help resolve this. I've finally ordered a molded dash cover from Covering, but absolutely feel that this is a MANUFACTURING defect that goes above and beyond any standard wear and tear that a vehicle should encounter.

- , Lebanon, VA, USA

Mar 202003

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

This dashboard is defective and cracked and spidered from stress cracks. It is very apparent that this dashboard is a factory defect. The plastic used is very brittle and crumbles easily. It is very hard to believe that an American company like Chrysler would make such a cheap product. Next time I will go elsewhere to purchase a truck.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 282012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L

I find it really anoying that chrysler want fix there mess. It seems like only yesterday america was bailing out the auto industrie and now they want stand up and take blame for the junk they are selling. our hard earned money goes to pay for these vehicles that they charge outrageous fees for and then when the consumer has a problem they dont want to fix it. Then the big three auto manufactures want to no why people are buying foreign.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Ram 1500

This pickup has been garaged all of its life, so cracking was not caused by sun or extreme temperature changes.

- , Newcastle, WY, USA

Dec 052003

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

It is what I would call a defect from chrysler. They wanted to charge me over 500 dollars to fix with another defective part.There is so many out there its not funny. The rattle it makes drives me crazy.which could cause me to lose concentration on my driving. If i am in an accident and the airbag does not deploy correctly are the sharp edges of the dash causes me unnecessary harm I will file suit against chrysler.

- , Collnsville, Alabama, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 1500 LX 2.9L Lit

We have been driving with the dash board shattered for over 3 years. Every time you close the door more of the dash falls into the wiring and vents, floor all over. It is almost completely gone. If we were to be in an accident the airbags would come straight out of the top of he dash and hit the windshield. When you turn on the fan you have to cover your face from flying dash pieces. This has been a issue for a very long time. At first when we discovered it we thought someone took a fist or a hammer to the dash. We blamed our son and kids for breaking it. Know we find out this is a very wide spread problem. Thanks Dodge for blaming the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long have you know this is a factory default? I am very angry with you for not coming clean on this shattered dash issues. Shame on you.

- , Saint Michael, Minnesota, USA

Jul 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I am often made fun of by family and friends and complimented by strangers about how nice my truck is. I keep it spotless inside and out. I keep the paint waxed and clean, the carpet spotless, dash and tires shiny.

I only buy Chrysler products because they do not normally use cheap or low quality parts. I can't imagine owning any other brand. The truck is now 13 years old and only has 78k miles on it. I can count on my fingers how many problems I have had with it. During dinner my son told me I had a brake light out, I stood up, left my food to go replace the bulb. I just cannot stand for things to not be right.

Even with all of the care I that I give this amazing machine and the low miles the dash is falling apart. I am not fond of aftermarket parts especially something like the dash should be OEM. Since the OEM dash is cracking all over and there are rattles (that drive me crazy) I do not want to buy another OEM dash. I don't think an aftermarket dash would fit right and would likely rattle or rub and be inferior so I haven't done anything. Around the bolts are the largest cracks. One of these days the dash is going to break loose, land on my legs while I am driving causing my foot to press the gas pedal and cause an accident.

- , Olympia, Wa, USA

Dec 102004

Ram 1500

I have been cut from the exposed edges, I drive this truck very little because it is so dangerous.

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jan 302003

Ram 1500 V6

When my truck was only a few yrs old, the dash cracked right down the center. Dodge replaced the dash(even though the warranty went out 30 prior).

Only 1 year later the new dash started cracking. A little at first, but now it is basically holding only by a few sections. The pieces are falling down inside and I am afraid it is going to cause major damage, not to mention this stuff will be deadly if I were to get in an accident. The dash trim has also cracked, so has the plastic piece right under the steering wheel, and the cup holder broke when Dodge replaced the first dash.

Dodge, you really need to recall the dash boards.

- , Sugar Land, Ft.bend, USA

Nov 122008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

major problem at 8 years old, now it's falling in the floor

- , Cedar Bluff, Alabama, USA

Sep 032012

Ram 1500 Magnum V6 V6

I agree with most of my fellow dodge p/u owners. It's very difficult to be proud of a vehicle that looks like it belongs in a junk yard. However, there is a temporary solution, to the cave in dash problem. If you have a carpet dash cover you can use that as a template, and cut a temporary dash out of cardboard, once it's in, trim it to fit. And cover it with the carpet dash cover. Its a pretty low budget, but it works. At least it won't look like it caving in on it's self. And I,m sure the executive's at Dodge/ Chrysler motors would all be so very proud, of all dodge owners for solving a huge problem that they choose to ignore. You know, I really doubt any of the Dodge " Brass" own one of their own Pick Up Trucks. Sometime's you just have to grab the old rusty Ram by it twisted horns...

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jul 222012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I'll echo everyone else here... Dodge quality is pathetic! This is the worst vehicle I've owned, despite all the "babying", constant cleaning ,detailing and maintaining, it just continues to go to crap. Friends of mine can't believe the condition of it and all issues with it, knowing how I've cared for it. The dash cracked into like 17 places, tried to save it with supper glue, only to have it fall in on itself. Now it looks like crap. I've had the tranny replaced at 88k, replaced the left front u joint 3x, right front once. The steering is horrific! Don't take your eye off the road, or you'll be across the center line, or in the ditch. Local garage replaced the control arm ($$$$) because "it was worn and would not pass inspection". Still continues to wander all over the road. Junk steering box is what I'm told. Big $ to replace it. Clear coat and paint peeling off along right side of truck. And the best part of this, it gets 9-11 mpg, 13 if I'm REALLY lucky. YAYYYY:( At this point there are so many issues to repair to even make it somewhat decent, it's SO not worth it. I will NEVER A DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN!! I'm only interested in Toyota or Nissan at this point. Companies that know how to build long lasting dependable vehicles. Have you seen the resale values for them? I'm done, I'll get off my soap box and start looking for another truck now...

- , Columbia, PA, USA

Aug 312009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

This is a common problem with these dodge trucks. Dodge does not have any craftsmanship or quality pride whatsoever! They do succeed in making people not wanting to buy any of there products.

- , Grafton, Ohio, USA