1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 Magnum V8

I want to sell my truck, and though the broken dashboard doesn't interfere with its operation, it looks worse than, well, you know what. It isn't just cracked, it's broken into many large pieces, with half of the dash missing. The plastic is brittle. I don't want to replace it with the same product. Does anybody know of another year or model that would fit? I think I should be able to go into a Dodge dealership and get it replaced for free. It is obviously a manufacturing defect.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L V8

Entire dashboard (top portion) is cracked and broken. I've had to throw bits and pieces of it away. Dodge will not do anything to help resolve this. I've finally ordered a molded dash cover from Covering, but absolutely feel that this is a MANUFACTURING defect that goes above and beyond any standard wear and tear that a vehicle should encounter.

- , Lebanon, VA, USA

Mar 202003

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

This dashboard is defective and cracked and spidered from stress cracks. It is very apparent that this dashboard is a factory defect. The plastic used is very brittle and crumbles easily. It is very hard to believe that an American company like Chrysler would make such a cheap product. Next time I will go elsewhere to purchase a truck.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 282012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L

I find it really anoying that chrysler want fix there mess. It seems like only yesterday america was bailing out the auto industrie and now they want stand up and take blame for the junk they are selling. our hard earned money goes to pay for these vehicles that they charge outrageous fees for and then when the consumer has a problem they dont want to fix it. Then the big three auto manufactures want to no why people are buying foreign.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Ram 1500

This pickup has been garaged all of its life, so cracking was not caused by sun or extreme temperature changes.

- , Newcastle, WY, USA

Dec 052003

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

It is what I would call a defect from chrysler. They wanted to charge me over 500 dollars to fix with another defective part.There is so many out there its not funny. The rattle it makes drives me crazy.which could cause me to lose concentration on my driving. If i am in an accident and the airbag does not deploy correctly are the sharp edges of the dash causes me unnecessary harm I will file suit against chrysler.

- , Collnsville, AL, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 1500 LX 2.9L Lit

We have been driving with the dash board shattered for over 3 years. Every time you close the door more of the dash falls into the wiring and vents, floor all over. It is almost completely gone. If we were to be in an accident the airbags would come straight out of the top of he dash and hit the windshield. When you turn on the fan you have to cover your face from flying dash pieces. This has been a issue for a very long time. At first when we discovered it we thought someone took a fist or a hammer to the dash. We blamed our son and kids for breaking it. Know we find out this is a very wide spread problem. Thanks Dodge for blaming the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long have you know this is a factory default? I am very angry with you for not coming clean on this shattered dash issues. Shame on you.

- , Saint Michael, MN, USA

Jul 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I am often made fun of by family and friends and complimented by strangers about how nice my truck is. I keep it spotless inside and out. I keep the paint waxed and clean, the carpet spotless, dash and tires shiny.

I only buy Chrysler products because they do not normally use cheap or low quality parts. I can't imagine owning any other brand. The truck is now 13 years old and only has 78k miles on it. I can count on my fingers how many problems I have had with it. During dinner my son told me I had a brake light out, I stood up, left my food to go replace the bulb. I just cannot stand for things to not be right.

Even with all of the care I that I give this amazing machine and the low miles the dash is falling apart. I am not fond of aftermarket parts especially something like the dash should be OEM. Since the OEM dash is cracking all over and there are rattles (that drive me crazy) I do not want to buy another OEM dash. I don't think an aftermarket dash would fit right and would likely rattle or rub and be inferior so I haven't done anything. Around the bolts are the largest cracks. One of these days the dash is going to break loose, land on my legs while I am driving causing my foot to press the gas pedal and cause an accident.

- , Olympia, Wa, USA

Dec 102004

Ram 1500

I have been cut from the exposed edges, I drive this truck very little because it is so dangerous.

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jan 302003

Ram 1500 V6

When my truck was only a few yrs old, the dash cracked right down the center. Dodge replaced the dash(even though the warranty went out 30 prior).

Only 1 year later the new dash started cracking. A little at first, but now it is basically holding only by a few sections. The pieces are falling down inside and I am afraid it is going to cause major damage, not to mention this stuff will be deadly if I were to get in an accident. The dash trim has also cracked, so has the plastic piece right under the steering wheel, and the cup holder broke when Dodge replaced the first dash.

Dodge, you really need to recall the dash boards.

- , Sugar Land, Ft.bend, USA

Dec 052012

Ram 1500 5.9L

great truck engine and body wise.....terrible dashboard that has crumbled and disintegrated

- , Chino Hills, CA, USA

Nov 122008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

major problem at 8 years old, now it's falling in the floor

- , Cedar Bluff, AL, USA

Sep 032012

Ram 1500 Magnum V6 V6

I agree with most of my fellow dodge p/u owners. It's very difficult to be proud of a vehicle that looks like it belongs in a junk yard. However, there is a temporary solution, to the cave in dash problem. If you have a carpet dash cover you can use that as a template, and cut a temporary dash out of cardboard, once it's in, trim it to fit. And cover it with the carpet dash cover. Its a pretty low budget, but it works. At least it won't look like it caving in on it's self. And I,m sure the executive's at Dodge/ Chrysler motors would all be so very proud, of all dodge owners for solving a huge problem that they choose to ignore. You know, I really doubt any of the Dodge " Brass" own one of their own Pick Up Trucks. Sometime's you just have to grab the old rusty Ram by it twisted horns...

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jul 222012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I'll echo everyone else here... Dodge quality is pathetic! This is the worst vehicle I've owned, despite all the "babying", constant cleaning ,detailing and maintaining, it just continues to go to crap. Friends of mine can't believe the condition of it and all issues with it, knowing how I've cared for it. The dash cracked into like 17 places, tried to save it with supper glue, only to have it fall in on itself. Now it looks like crap. I've had the tranny replaced at 88k, replaced the left front u joint 3x, right front once. The steering is horrific! Don't take your eye off the road, or you'll be across the center line, or in the ditch. Local garage replaced the control arm ($$$$) because "it was worn and would not pass inspection". Still continues to wander all over the road. Junk steering box is what I'm told. Big $ to replace it. Clear coat and paint peeling off along right side of truck. And the best part of this, it gets 9-11 mpg, 13 if I'm REALLY lucky. YAYYYY:( At this point there are so many issues to repair to even make it somewhat decent, it's SO not worth it. I will NEVER A DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN!! I'm only interested in Toyota or Nissan at this point. Companies that know how to build long lasting dependable vehicles. Have you seen the resale values for them? I'm done, I'll get off my soap box and start looking for another truck now...

- , Columbia, PA, USA

Aug 312009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

This is a common problem with these dodge trucks. Dodge does not have any craftsmanship or quality pride whatsoever! They do succeed in making people not wanting to buy any of there products.

- , Grafton, OH, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 5.9L

I bought a used 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 last year.guess what i didn't notice until after i bought it at a used car dealer, that the dark gray dash has five big cracks in it.I had 7 ford pickup trucks before this dodge ram and not one of my fords had a crack in the dash and the ford trucks all ran better and had more power then this 2000 dodge ram I bought.since dodge isn't doing anything about this I will never buy another dodge truck ever again.I'm not sure what year this crack dash problem stops at but i don't trust dodge ram trucks anymore never again!If you want a good truck buy a ford! I'm selling my dodge ram or junking it and buying another good old ford.doge trucks are all junk!

- , Hamden, CT, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

Dashboard cracks appeared even though I use a sun shield .........clearly poor craftsmanship

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Mar 122009

Ram 1500 Sport

When I reported the cracked dash to the dealer the Truck was still under Extened warranty. They stated that it cracked due to the truck being parked in the sun. when I explained that the truck had be parked in the garage most of it's life they did not have an answer and just stated it is not covered. Now That I have had the truck 11 years it only has 44652 miles on it and parts of the dash have broken off and fallen inside the dash area. I am worried these broken parts may cause damage to other parts inside the dash. but do not want to pay to have it replaced if it is going to happen again.

- , Banning, ca, USA

Feb 032012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

wait..... what dash? all I have is carpet lol I bought this truck today from a guy who said it was a really great truck I fell in love with it almost perfects steering no knocks or leaks good trans everything worked but the a/c well he told me the dash was pretty bad and it had a dash mat when I got in it the pad looked sunk in (never drove this model dodge) after I drove it I fell in love with it and thought ehh how bad could the dash be? I lifted it up and then I was lake what dash!? there was absolutely no dash at all no plastic left on top at all just sides and the front nothing else I was blown away at how an american car company can make such a cheap part on such a great truck dodge should replace the dash no charge but my truck has lasted 214,000 miles and was beat on by the last owner I think it will last me I would consider buying a dodge again pending on how this truck treats me P.S all electronics work no problem heater (a/c is missing compressor) radio gauges and everything works like new no broken buttons or anything

- , Boaz, AL, USA

May 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

i think dodge needs to fix this problem. There are more than enough people out the have the same problem.

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA