1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (112 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 21 of 30)

Jul 232008

Ram 1500 Off Road 5.2L

I have tried to contact Dodge, but I get the run-around! They said there is nothing they can do about the dashboard. I actually use to work for a place the made all the parts for the interior of the Grand Cherokee's. Believe me, it would be no problem for them to have a recall!! If they don't have a recall within the next year, I will never ever buy a dodge again!

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Dec 162008

Ram 1500 SLE 3.9L V8

There is deffently something wrong with the dash boards, because I have always put a sunshade in my windshield.

- , 10505 Oak St, MS, USA

Jul 212008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I am also having same problem with the dash on my Dodge.I e-mailed Chrysler Customer Assistance Center and was told to have my local Dodge dealership to fill out an itemized estimate to repair and he would review.My experience at the local dealership was an experience in itself.The "Jerk" of a kid that was doing the estimate said it seemed to him like I was just trying to get a free dash repair! I told him I didn't think that was his place to make any personal comment at all.(By now I'm pretty steamed at this Joker) So I replied that since Chrysler got this bail-out money which I'm paying for I thought it was the least Chrysler could do! I got my estimate and sent it back to Customer Assistance Center about two months ago still no reply.I really didn't expect to get one!!

- , Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Jan 282009

Ram 1500 ES 3.9L V6

I brought my ram new in 2001. 2003 I noticed dash had hair line cracks on all four screws from windshield up,the dealer said i waited to late no luck. Now I have big chunks broke out. Looks grappy and I also had to replace heater core, evap motor, water pump, fuel pump. So far I am really mad about the dash cuz it ruins the whole appearance of my truck.First thing people notice is the dash and say what happened and I TELL THEM "DODGE" that says it all.Then they laugh,cuz none of them own a dodge so DODGE should do a recall on the dashboard.At least we would have the last laugh.There is definitely a issue with this many complaints YOU THINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Roberts, IL, USA

Aug 182005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

My dash started with one large crack ,shortly after the warranty expired, running front to back above the glove compartment, since then I have 10 to 12 cracks mostly on the passenger side, but they are starting to spread to the drivers side. Pieces are now missing out of the dash. This is not limited to the 2001 models. I have some friends who own Dodge pick ups ranging from 1999 to 2002. (I have met other dodge truck owners in this area with the same problem) All of their dashes are cracked to some degree or another. When I spoke to the dealership a few years back I was told that Dodge was helping out the original owners only in getting the dash replaced, I bought my truck with 18k on it, so they weren't going to lift a finger to help me. One of my friends talked a dealer and they told him dodge would buy him the dash but he had to pay for the install. Needless to say the install was far more costly than the cost of the dash. I am now going to shell out the cash to get it replaced, not sure if I will let a dealer take care of it though, why put money back into their hands to fix a problem that they should be paying for in the first place.

- , Milton, FL, USA

Feb 122004

Ram 1500 SLT V8

It does have several huge cracks in it, one running from the windshield to the instrument panel. The dash bezel also is cracked in several places and has a hole in it on the passenger side so that really makes my truck look like crap from the passenger seat. There was a 6000 dollar difference between my truck and one that said Chevrolet, and I would not spend the difference on what I thought were comparable trucks. The truck is solid but the list of little things is getting long and none of them are cheap to fix. Sunglass door $40 (too much just for a door) cup holder $100+ (are you kidding me 100 for a cup holder) dash bezel 100+ (that�s a lot of money for a small piece of plastic) dash $1000 (parts and labor). So lets call it $14oo just to replace stuff that should last the life of the truck.� Should have bought a Chevrolet

- , Bryan, TX, USA

Jan 072004

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L

Same as others on this message board. Just wanted to add a name to the list. I did send the link to to ensure they are aware, but I am sure it will not do much good. Of course, 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease", so we will see

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

May 202002

Ram 1500

Bought a demo 2001 dodge ram 1500 in 2002 from dealer in Bowling Green, Ky. A few months later, noticed a hair line crack in middle of dash coming from windshield to the from of the dash. Since then it has cracks all over it and it rattles like it is going to fall out. cannot get dealer to replace the dash. Will be my last dodge. Should have purchased a Chevy to start with.

- , Smiths Grove, KY, USA

May 202006

Ram 1500 V8

Started cracking shortly after truck bought but wrote it up to hot weather in Florida however has continued to crack and break even though we tried to glue it in the beginning. Now looks terrible and still cracking. Saw this website and was amazed at the problem so am entering my complaint as well.

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

In 2007/08, I started to notice cracks in the dashboard of my truck. This occured in 3 to 4 different places. Now I actually have gaping holes.... one in the right corner of the dash and one huge one on the left side. A hole a little larger than a softball was created when the cracked areas actually met, and the piece of the dash fell into the lower section of the dashboard. When I first noticed this cracking issue, I emailed the main Dodge website about this. I was told that they hadn't had any complaints. I will not purchase another Chrysler Dodge product again.

- , Bristow, OK, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 XLT 5.9L

I bought the truck new dream come true except I noticed a small crack in dash & then it grew & grew now it is still cracking and soon chunks will start to fall in. Also right door speaker has stopped working. It is really pissy truck has been well looked after. I will never buy another Chrysler & I am not sure but I'm not impressed with any made in USA, might look at Honda. Back to dash, even still some mornings I hear it cracking.

- , Morrow, GA, USA

Sep 202007

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

I have had my Dodge Ram 1500 for 3 years now. My dash started cracking a year after i bought it starting with a hairline crack. Since then it has grown to two big cracks. Now yeah, i wish that Dodge would recall, fix the problem and i could go about. But, I'm gonna buy a dash cover and keep on being happy with the Dodge i got. If i have to drive a Dodge with a cracked dash, then i will drive a Dodge with a cracked dash because its BETTER than driving the alternative.

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 112002

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

We bought this truck new and felt good about the purchase. After about 2 1/2 years we noticed a crack in the dash that has continued to get worst seemly with every bump it hit. Finally the entire dash has crumbled. We are very disappointed in this truck. Until now we very good about dodge trucks. Right now we are not feeling good at all about them. The heater does not work, there is a terrible squeaking noise in the suspension, the cup holder is broken, paint is fading. We feel that $21,000 is too much money to pay for a vehicle that fell apart before the loan was paid off. We are tallking with people who have 2001 trucks from other companies and they don't seem to have this problem. We feel strongly that Chrysler should issue a recall on this dash problem.

- , Effingham, SC, USA

Dec 022008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

This has been a great truck. But the dash started cracking at the end of last year. And it is just getting worse. If I new any lawyers I would call them on this. Dodge needs to take charge of this problem an fix it.

- , Deming, NM, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

dash has been cracking for years. now big holes in dash. sounds like defective material since there has been this many complaints!!!

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 122008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

dASH CRACKED LAST YEAR AND WHEN I CONTACTED DODGE THEY SAID THEY WOULD SUPPLY THE DASH BUT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY INSTALLATION. I didn't have the 300+ Dollars they wanted to install and they would not let me have the dash and install myself. We need a class action lawsuit to get them off their stonewalling,maybe they can address this with some of the government money they are begging for.

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Jan 302008

Ram 1500 N/A 5.9L V8

What can I say? Dodge purchased an inferior product from the lowest bidder and we are stuck with the resulting problem. I doubt that Dodge will ever be willing to rectify the problem given todays economic environment. That's my 2 cents!

- , Laguna Vista, TX, USA

Jun 152006

Ram 1500 1500LT 5.2L

my dash cracks occurred after i had too replace my heater cor it went bad quickly i have a huge hole in the center of my dash my instrument bezzles clips broke off.I like my truck otherwise. Its sad they haven't sent out a recall on a problem of this magnitude

- , Highlandville, MO, USA

Jun 102008

Ram 1500 Extended Cab 5.2L V8

I bought my truck from a friend and when i got it it already had the broken dash and this ain't just some little crack it is completely shaddered my friend has i custom fitted cover on it it looks ok but i wish dodge would recall this so i could have my truck looking good i mean who wants to pay over $1,000 for a dash board

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 Sport 2.8L ?

I have live with a cracked windshield for several years. I just covered the cracks in the dash with a cover. but now it has cracked so badly that I can't even use the dash cover because the main dash has cracked so badly that large chucks of the plastic have broken out. It would be one thing if the original dash had been abused, but it happens when it is just sitting or sometimes while your driving sown the highway. I have owned 5 Dodge pickups in the past and have switched to a Chev. since this problem. I would not have believed that Dodge would be so blind to this problem! IT IS OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURING FLAW.

Sorry Dodge, I found that the GMC is just as good of a truck and the Dash DOESN'T CRACK!

- , Spanish Fork, UT, USA