8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 22 of 30)

Jun 152006

Ram 1500 1500LT 5.2L

my dash cracks occurred after i had too replace my heater cor it went bad quickly i have a huge hole in the center of my dash my instrument bezzles clips broke off.I like my truck otherwise. Its sad they haven't sent out a recall on a problem of this magnitude

- , Highlandville, MO, USA

Jun 102008

Ram 1500 Extended Cab 5.2L V8

I bought my truck from a friend and when i got it it already had the broken dash and this ain't just some little crack it is completely shaddered my friend has i custom fitted cover on it it looks ok but i wish dodge would recall this so i could have my truck looking good i mean who wants to pay over $1,000 for a dash board

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 Sport 2.8L ?

I have live with a cracked windshield for several years. I just covered the cracks in the dash with a cover. but now it has cracked so badly that I can't even use the dash cover because the main dash has cracked so badly that large chucks of the plastic have broken out. It would be one thing if the original dash had been abused, but it happens when it is just sitting or sometimes while your driving sown the highway. I have owned 5 Dodge pickups in the past and have switched to a Chev. since this problem. I would not have believed that Dodge would be so blind to this problem! IT IS OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURING FLAW.

Sorry Dodge, I found that the GMC is just as good of a truck and the Dash DOESN'T CRACK!

- , Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Feb 012006

Ram 1500 5.9L

I purchased the truck in Jan. 06. It's a one-owner and it looked like it had been well taken care of. A couple of months later the dash started cracking. Soon afterward it was a mess and the windshield developed an annoying air leak. In my opinion a 5-6 year old vehicle should not have material failure of this magnitude.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I'm joining the rest of you with a cracked dash. Looks like we have enough people for a class action suit. Any lawyers out there want to take a 'crack' at it?

- , Schriever, LA, USA

Jan 082008

Ram 1500

I love my 2001 Ram Magnum truck and have taken excellent care to make sure the windows where cracked and window shield cover placed in window to keep heat down in vehicle. The crack started out small around window then it got worse. One morning I got in the truck and it had cracked from the window shield up to the section where the air bag located. When you go over any bumps in the road it rattles like it is going to fall apart. I have checked into replacing the top part of the dash and it cost over 1,000.00+. I am now researching to find a dash cover that does not cost over 1,000.00. I feel a recall should be placed on cracked dash boards for 2001 Ram Trucks. I have had no other problems with my truck. BDobbs, Midlothian. TX

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Dec 022003

Ram 1500

I can't believe that Dodge is not aware of this problem, they just blow it off because they

do not stand behind there product, Thats way many people in America don,t buy American cars, and that's why the auto companies are in bad shape today, the foreign car companies will be the leaders soon . (I hope not ) the American car companies must get a dashboard correct before they can move forward.

- , Farmingville, NY, USA

Apr 122008

Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

It started with one major crack, now I have 5 of them. Happened right after the 5 year warrant ran out. truck is 7 years old with less than 60,000 miles, I take great care of it.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

May 052007

Ram 1500 Ram

This is my last dodge product, if you read consumer reports, they keep having the same issues year after year. They just keep cranking out the same old problems.

- , Baytown, TX, USA

Sep 012005

Ram 1500 Sport Off Road 5.9L V8

What a piece of junk. The truck does sit outside and I thought that may have has something to do with it cracking but after reading about everyone elses problem I see it is nationwide. It would always pop and snap in the winter while driving but never noticed any cracks at first. Then the hairline cracks appeared. Now it look like a road map with some of the pieces just hanging on. I cover it with a Dash Mat brand cover. better than nothing but the velco doesn't stick and it moves all the time with heat and cold. Sometimes the vents get cover and I dont get a good defrost. Never will I buy a Dodge again; because this wasn't the only problem. More on that somewhere else.

- , Lock Haven, PA, USA

Mar 052008

Ram 1500

the first day i got my truck this happened. very aggravating!

- , Dublin, TX, USA

Dec 052006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

The problem occurred when my Ram was still under the extended warranty. Dodge told me it was not their problem. I feel like they are just trying to take the cheap way out. Just like the crappy material they made the dash out of.

- , Zebulon, GA, USA

May 102005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

i have a nice dodge ram 1500 everything about the truck is nice no rust dings or dents. the inside is also nice no tears in the seats no stains, but the one thing that makes the truck look like sh*t is the dash. that is the one place people are going to see and when you have a big ass hole in the middle the ask WHAT HAPPENED my wife through her glasses on the dash (before she knew about the hole)and they went right down that was fun fishing them out i think dodge should recall this because theier are to many cracked dash boards to be a coincidence

- , Silver Lake, KS, Afghanistan

Feb 142007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I bought my truck used in 2007 and I noticed a couple of small cracks in the dash, I didn't think they would be a big deal. I was wrong i've had the truck for over a year now and the dash looks absolutely horrible. It looks like it has veins running through the dashboard. I keep my truck clean and have people come up to me all the time and tell me what a nice truck I have, but then friends and family get in and ask me what the hell happened to my dashboard! Dodge should totally have to eat this one, not only does it hurt the resale/trade-in value but it looks like crap!

- , Yakima, WA, USA

Jun 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L

My dashboard started with a small crack in the middle of the dash 8 months after i bought it and now it has three cracks rigth across the center of dash and it's getting worse.After reading about this problem from other ram owners i have decided to contact the Dodge Corp.I'll keep you up dated with results.

Update from Mar 25, 2013: well after contacting the dodge corp about my dash falling into peices i was told that i would have to foot half of the over $600 bill. i told them that it was there cheap product and that they should own up to it and therefor they should fix it.But they would not buge and wanted me to pay. No more DODGE RAM trucks for me..

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I have the same problem as many others with the dashboard cracking on the passenger side above the glove box. After reading all the complaints about this, it is obviously a manufacturing defect.

- , Wellston, OK, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 1500 1500 Slt Lamire V8

DODGE SHURE TAKE CARE OF IT I AM NO THE ONLY COMPLAINING FOR THE SAME PROBLEM THEY SURE FIX THEY MISTAKES USING CHEAP MATERIAL I LIKE DODGE BUT COME ONE TAKE CARE OF UR COSTUMERS

- , Jewett, CT, USA

Nov 062002

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I LOVE DODGE BUT NOW I NOT SO SURE EVER SINCE I GOT MY TRUCK ITS NEVER BEEN IN THE SUN FOR TOO LONG AND THEN A 4 INCH CRACK POP IN MY DASHBOARD A THEN THE PROBLEM GOT WORST A HUGE HOLE IN MY DASH

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 252006

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.6L

Have a cracked dash in multiple places looks like a bomb went off under it local dealer says it doesn't know of any other complaints in my area. Feel Dodge Corp should replace for free as a defective part. To many complaints not to be a defect in the plastic.

- , Spelter, WVA, USA

May 012005

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L V8

Like everyone else on this site my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has a cracked dash. Almost the entire thing has fallen in on itself. I've started removing the broken pieces and throwing them under my seats so that I don't get cut to pieces from flying debris if I ever have a crash. I've been looking for a match at pick and pull places but all I've seen have the same problem. It's sad that my truck is worthless now. If I could ever sell it I'd go and buy a F150. That may be why they will not put out a recall. I like the idea of my fellow San Antonio about parking just off of a Dodge Dealership with a sign. Just don't put it on the windshield where it blocks the view of the problem. You can use my POS anyday. The transmission has been acting up ever since I had to break hard to keep from hitting a kid who ran across the street in front of me but I just throw it into whatever gear it will drive in and start moving it back up to drive just like I was driving a manual w/o a clutch.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA