1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (112 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 30)

Aug 242006

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

After seeing all the same complaints with the same issue, I am completely upset that Chrysler Dodge has avoided issuing a recall by stating it is not a safety concern. Chrysler has lost another customer like it really matters to them. My dash has completely fell apart. Big gaping holes in my dash, and the pieces have fallen into the duct work compartment. Edges are very sharp, and could cause injuries. Very expensive and troublesome to fix leaking evaporator core and clogged heater core... I am very upset that Dodge will not issue a recall for their known and widespread issue with dashes falling apart.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 072011

Ram 1500 5.9L

I received my 2001 Dodge Ram after my Dad passed away in '07. Pop had complained about the dash a little, but mostly about the heat and a.c. not working. The dash has COMPLETELY broken apart, pieces fall off everyday, and continue fall down into the inside of the vents and apparently caused something to tear up up with the heat / a.c. Called up Dodge / Chrysler : " Although their is no recall because it is not a safety issue (well duh), we can meet you halfway " Their version of halfway was almost $ 1,300.00 to repair the interior and heat / a.c., I had to pay half up front and hope the local dealership, that's right a Dodge dealership, would agree to the corporations terms and fix it. Needless to say that didn't happen. I thought maybe I was over reacting to this, but there's over 1,000 complaints about this same problem on the web !!! One web-site even has a photo of the interior of a truck that's identical to mine, including the hole in what used-to-be a dash ! Oh, and here's the topper.....their is already an after market replacement for the 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 - 3500, as well as the mini-vans. Bottom line, Dodge should replace the dashes as well as any problems this has caused in the operational components of the trucks, don't want monetary compensation in some silly law suit, JUST FIX IT !!!!!!

Nov 102004

Ram 1500 5.2L

The dashboard on this '01 pickup totally failed just 4 years after purchase. I reported it to the local dealer who in return reported to corporate. Repsonse was that it was not covered under warranty. Offered to repair it for $1500 - nice. This is a defective product and should be replaced under a recall. From all the blog traffic on this subject, it is obvious that Dodge installed a defective product. It was made in Mexico according to door sticker! Will never buy one again after this treatment.

- , Pawleys Island, SC, USA

May 012011

Ram 1500 XLT 5.3L

I love my Ram except for the 2 major problems: Dashboard cracked all over the place and falling apart - I duck taped it to hold it from rattling. Other problem is ac leaking water into the front passenger seat. Fixed that by drilling a hole in floor and creating a channel for water to drip out thru the hole - works!

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins Diesel

My internet research shows that the cracked dashboard is a widespread known problem. I thought it was just from being in the sun, but apparently not. I want to know if Dodge is doing anything about this yet. I love the truck, but this makes it appears beaten, when it is still in very good shape. Paid a lot of $$$ for this truck and if this is a known issue, they should be willing to fix it. Especially if they ever want me to buy another one of their vehicles in the future. Service is everything.

- , Terrebonne, OR, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 6.O

Bought a diesel Ram because of reputation of durability. What a joke. I have never had a vehicle the dash actually fell apart. Cracks yes but no impairment of strength/function. Paid $800 18mo ago to get ac condenser replaced. Didn't know the dash was going to come apart or I would have had it done at the same time. I will never buy another Dodge. See other complaints about spring mounts falling apart.

- , Hendersonville, Select State, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500

I bought this vehicle used for $11,000 cash. After finishing the paperwork I get in to drive it home and notice reflection of a hole in the dash. Went into to complain, and got nowhere with the dealership. There solution was to give me a dash cover. Now 6 years later I have no dash left at all. Lift the cover and nothing but air. Pieces have fallen down blocking the vents. It has been a real pain in the ass. Dodge should have done a recall to fix this problem. Apparently by this web site there are several other Ram owners experiencing the same thing. I have owned about 5 Dodges over the last several years, but I'm afraid that is going to change. When I get rid of this one I will be going to a Ford or Chevy.

- , Belton, MO, USA

Apr 172012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Incredibly disturbing to see how many customers have had this well-known problem...and it continues on past this year model as well. It may seem like just a cosmetic problem, but when the pieces of broken dash begin to fall into the vents it turns into quite a different problem, and that's just not fair to any of us. Chrysler should do something about it, no matter how old the vehicle is. The dash on our truck looks absolutely awful, even though the truck has been well maintained. But, compared to the history of this truck's transmission failures, this complaint is minor (guess where our truck is as I type the transmission shop being overhauled)....Yep, two very common complaints with this particular truck, and we're dealing with both of them.....bummer....

- , Gilmer, TX, USA

Jul 042011

Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.2L V8

The dash in my truck cracked last year. I treat it weekly with a dose of Armorall.the same with my 1992 Chevy 1500 Not one crack and going on 320k. Its is horrible and getting to the point where it is beginning to have support issues.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 082005

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 282009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

That fact that i paid my truck off 6 months ago after paying $427 a month for 7 years and now i have to look at a dashboard that is completely f*cking cracked to pieces is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only that my transmission went on my truck at 60,000 miles and my rear-end blew at 100,000 miles!!!!!!!! And it has been a show truck since i bought it, so no these problems are not caused by a rough riding kid!!!!!!!!! I dont even let it touch snow and i live in the northeast.. Not a very big dodge fan anymore, booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Lisbon, CT, USA

Jul 112011

Ram 1500 Quad 5.2L

Dashboard is cracking severly in several places. Dashboard is starting to cave in and is a safety hazard.

- , Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Oct 152008

Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.2L

I have multipal problems with interior and exterior. No reall bad engine problems yet but only had truck for a year. If anyone can tell me about other problems with the same truck would be much appreciated.

- , Pekin, IL, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 Turbo Diesel

Dodge needs to RECALL this dash and replace it!! We have checked with Dodge and between parts and labor it will be close to 1,000 to fix it if not more.... Not only is the WHOLE dash caved in the weight of it falling in is tearing apart the whole trim area around the steering wheel and the radio system! PLEASE Recall the problem Dodge!! I would NEVER buy another car from ya'll!! It is a safty issue!! all the plastic pieces that fall down inside the dash area sit on the heater and air conditioner! The edges are Sharp and pointy!! It's a problem that needs to get fixed!! and Common sense says if trucks from 1995 -2006 Rams 1500 and 2500 ALL have the same problem with Dash it Needs to be a Recall!!!

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Feb 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

the entire top of the dashboard is cracked, speakers no longer work. embarassing for dodge

- , H. Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500

Have never had a vehicle where a dashboard has cracked at all, but this is really really bad it is so cracked up it is in pieces, I see several other complaints concerning the same problem with the same vehicle, why is Dodge not recalling this vehicle will probably never purchase a Dodge in the future.

- , Katy, TX, USA

Mar 022010

Ram 1500 8.0L

the dashboard is so brittle i touched today and a big hunk fell out.ill never buy a dodge again dodge need to rethink there way of building there trucks.crap

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 152006

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Bed 4WD 5.9L

I have never heard of a dash falling apart, into tiny pieces. What's with that? And why hasn't Dodge recalled these and put in new dashes? This is uncalled for. Do they think that we will buy more pickups from them???

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V6

Dodge needs to replace this. It is obvious it is a major defect. The dashboard is disintegrating.

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 042004

Ram 1500

Please recall this.. I am so over it. My husband also has a dodge but I will never own another with this cheap plastic you have on the inside.. Please help up fix this problem as we paid so much money for these trucks and if you want to keep making money then make us happy...

- , Lake Panasoffkee, Fl, USA