8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (356 reports)
  2. replace dash (102 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (6 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 28)

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It is a shame that these trucks are notorious for having cracked dashboards. The dash plastic feels like something you would find on a toy. Very cheep. Not a safety issue unless a passenger gets cut on the sharp edges I am sure Dodge will never address the issue.

- , Center Moriches, NY, USA

Oct 072008

Ram 1500 V8

It started as a small hole and now it's almost all gone on the top portion of the dash. The cracks are now creeping down toward where the stereo, ashtray, glovebox are and further. What happens when the pieces are falling in my lap and cause an accident, is that when they'll do something? Is there anyone out there who can help with info to get the makers to fix this properly and at their cost? I am certain this is a very hazardous situation, not to mention that it's destroyed my resale value and I can't get a decent trade in for it. My friends all ask why isn't anything being done about this? I am furious like the rest of you dealing with this problem. signing off "Dead Dodge", "Dreadful Dodge", Dangerous Dodge", Deadly Dodge".

- , Comfort, TX, USA

Oct 172010

Ram 1500

3rd chrysler product ==== can you spell TOYOTA??????????

- , Stewartstown, PA, USA

Nov 012009

Ram 1500 Sport Slt Plus 5.9L

My 01 ram 1500 sport with all options (including the slt-plus interior package). has two straight cracks from the windsheild to the front cover of the dash. guess im lucky since they have been known to cave in and fall apart... hopefully dodge will buck up and help with the cost of fixing this since so many of us are having the same problem

- , Tualatin, OR, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

I got my 2001 truck used in 2001 with very low mileage. The truck was only 6 months old by the date of manufacture when I got it. I was a lot ticked off that the dealer I got the truck from did not disclose to me that it had been in a minor wreck. Guess thats why I got a good deal on it. But it was and still is a good running truck. I have had no trouble out of it until 2007. Thats when the first crack came into being, with a crack I might add. I herd the snap and looked over and a huge crack appeared. It ran straight up and down the middle of the passenger side, more or less cutting the dash in half. Man you talk about pissed off, I was fit to be tied. I had always tried to take care of my truck, and not let some people I know put their feet up on the dash. Well it went all down hill from there. One day in 2010 I rolled down my windows and the wind caught a piece of the dash and flipped it in my face. I ran off the side of the road and nearly wrecked. And here is the kicker, I was on my way to work. At the end of the day when I got off work I had a flat tire. There was a nail in the sidewall that could not be fixed. I had to buy a new tire,[thanks dodge].I can't touch the dash anymore, the lightest touch now will break more pieces off. And the plastic covers they sell to put on top of the dash is only a short term fix. The dash continues to fall apart under the dash cap causing the cap to warp and not fit right, or not at all. The only way to fix it is with a new dash, which I cant afford at a whooping $500.00 bucks. This is one problem that dodge should step forward to fix because it is a safety issue.

- , Conway, SC, USA

Apr 102008

Ram 1500 Off Road 5.9L

There is a complete void from all the pieces that have fallen off due to cheap plastic. It is such cheap plastic that it falls off whe i clean it. Dodge should fix this problem. I cant believe a car company ignores a problem like this. Not only will i never buy a dodge again but I would tell all my friends not to as well. Terrible company for not recalling this issue

- , Ringoes, New Jersey, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 1500 Limited 318 V8

In my lifetime I have owned 22 Dodge trucks, having as many as 5 licensed and insured at one time. They were my hobby, always trying to build or find the ideal truck. Besides the 1980 restored stepside I still own, I have this small V-8 auto 1500. I have been very satisfied with it but the dash is non existent. Totally trashed by bad plastic. the cost of fixing it is almost 1/2 the value of the truck. I have only owned one Chevy and one Ford, but if Dodge doesn't step up, to repair this dash I won't buy a Dodge again.

- , Richmond, KY, USA

Aug 012004

Ram 1500 V8

I have called Dodge, Filed complaints every place I can find to file. Dodge should step up and repair these trucks. This was my husbands truck, he died in early 2004. Can you imagine the horror when one morning I walked out to his truck to find the dash cracking and caving in. It broke my heart. I use to drive it or sometimes just sit in it because I felt a little closer to him. Now it still sets there but It breaks my heart to get in it because I can't afford to fix it. Dodge you are low life. You and your greed took a little more of my husband away from me. You should step up to the plate and make this right. There are hundreds of people with the same issue. After a little research I found that Dodge was aware of the faulty dashes when they sold these trucks.

- , Dover, AR, USA

Aug 012009

Ram 1500 3.2L

this is the cheapest design the dodge could have invested into....it should be a recall

- , Rural Hall, NC, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

dodge should fix the dashs know, it's a really big safety haszerd when a 10inx10in piece of dash blows out, going down the road!! and even bigger thing to try and sell it that way!!

- , Donnelly, MN, USA

May 052008

Ram 1500 V8

Bought this truck new in 2001, In 2008 the dash started cracking and coming apart. I contacted my dealership and dodge and nothing was done to correct the problem. I will Never buy another Dodge product. They sell defective products and do not stand behind the products.

- , Charleston, AR, USA

Dec 312009

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

I CALLED THIS NUMBER SET UP BY DODGE. THEY WANTED ME TO GO TO A DODGE DEALER AND FOR 53.00 A SERVICE MANAGER COULD TELL THEM THAT MY DASH WAS LITERATELY CAVED IN. ANYBODY COULD CLEARLY SEE THAT IT WAS FALLING APART. A SUPERVISOR GOT ON THE PHONE AND SAID I CAN'T TALK TO YOU UNTIL YOU GET THIS APPROVAL. I ASKED IF I GOT IT WOULD THEY FIX MY DASH. HE SAID IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED? WHAT AN IDIOT THIS GUY WAS. POUR MORE GOOD MONEY ON A BAD OUTCOME. HE WAS A TOTAL ASS, THEN HE REFUSED TO EVEN TALK TO ME ANYMORE. I THINK THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MADE ME MAD WAS HIS LACK OF CARING. I HAVE RAN INTO PEOPLE THAT SAY THEY GOT A NEW DASH AND HAD TO PAY FOR THE LABOR WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE AND IT IS STARTING TO CRACK AGAIN. IF A RECALL WAS EVER NEEDED THIS IS IT. YES THEY DO HAVE THEY SAFETY BOARD IN THEIR POCKET AND NOW IN OURS. SHAME ON YOU DODGE. CORPORATE GREED WINS AGAIN. IF YOU HAVE A 2001 DODGE PICK-UP THERE IS NO HELP

- , Whitney, TX, USA

Jul 052001

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

this is a problem that dodge is aware of. i called dodge dealer to get a new dash, and they told me that they were on about a ten month backorder and they probably would not get one before dodge discontinued making them. there is a fiberglass replacement dash available for between 300.00 and 400.00, and i think dodge should have to pay for this replacement. the new dash from dodge was priced at 895.95, so they would be saving money, and loyal mopar customers.

- , Cave Springs, AR, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

Wanted a dodge 4x4 for a long time, and finally got one, Shortly after I bought it, My dashboard started caving in, There is NOTHING LEFT to put a COVER on, Sure makes me not like the dodge Ive always wanted, and then to find out that DODGE is willing to do NOTHING to make it right...and the NHTSA's (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is not going to make them recall it, what a crock, guess Dodge has more pull with those guys than the consumers do, Dont worry about all the sharp edges and pieces falling down into the wiring harnesses and the electrical failure of mirrors and headlights and fog lights and stuff like that thats not a concern..Not a safty Issue....I'm gonna call B-Sh$# on that one, The truth is (or appears to be that)

1. Dodge just dont Give a sh*t, once your out of warranty Ha.. ha... the jokes on you!

2. They evidently are so stupid that they dont want our future business.

3. The people who are supposed to make them recall it are complete dumbasses if they really believe this is not a safty issue

4 The big wheels at the NTSB must not own a dodge with this problem ... need i say more?

I Just want Dodge to do what is right and make right on their outsourced mexican plastic. Hell, just give me the freakin dash, i will put it in myself. Hey DODGE.... Make a bad deal you make it right..Not a Safety Issue?... My ASS. Just tell us to f*ck off and be through with it...I could take that better than the bullshit lies...

- , Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Jul 072009

Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.2L

I have had my 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 since it was new. People often tell me that they think it is a new truck.

The fact that the dash is developing new cracks all the time is infuriating,especially when i hear of so many people having the same problem and nothing being done about it.

My Dodge dealer said sorry nothing we can do... GREAT ANSWER !!!

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Mar 152005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It started as a single crack, than it developed another, then another, then another. Some of these cracked run from the windshied to the front of the dash--12-16 inched. This is the direct fault of Chrsler Coporation, I don't undertstand why the government hasn't come to bat for the American consumer! It's not a great safety concercern unless the airbag releases or you cut a finger while cleaning the vehicle and get an infection.

Clearly Chrysler dropped the ball on their selection of plastic for this project. UV inhibitors apparently were not in the plastic. Whoever specified the material clearly dropped the ball and they need to be held accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The american public shouldn't continue to pay for Chryslers mistakes. We've pulled out of the hole several times and it's time for them to step up to the plate and take their medicine.

- , Hanover, PA, USA

Jul 142006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

A chunk of the dashboard fell through the dash, got lodged in behind the brake pedal, and failed to allow me to stop, killing a cat.

- , Potterville, MI, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS AT34000MI.CRACKED DASH BY09 BOTH DOORS RUSTED ON BOTTOM ONLY84000MI.DEFECT IN WORKMANSHIP ALL SHOULD BE RECALLS

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I got this truck when my dad passed away last year the dash started to crack, now it has caved in with only 28000 miles on it . Dodge needs to do the right thing and replace the dashboard.

- , Seabrook, TX, USA

Aug 302009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Apparently dashboard cracking is a common problem with Dodge vehicles. They should have already done something about it but will not take responsibility. All I have to say is I am done with the entire Chrysler Corporation. They make sh*tty products that are far inferior to other brands. I will never buy a Dodge again.

- , Little Elm, TX, USA