8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (374 reports)
  2. replace dash (115 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 30)

Feb 052005

Ram 1500 V6

it looks like sh*t. i would never buy a dodge again, or even let a family or a friend.

- , Engelwood, FL, USA

Jul 092004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

This is an outrage. they get money to stay in business by our government and still refuse to fix a safety issue on this vehicle. my dash looks like an earthquake hit it. truck always clean, it now has 56,000 on it it still looks nice but hey need to step up and fix this. i am for dealer tech and know this is a safety issue that they refuse to pay for. i called & they offered 50percent off. i said that they need to pay for whole thing - mine has a crater in it now. and it still is cracking. were is our government that gave a company our money to stay in business but leave unsafe vehicles on road. this sucks and i will never buy a dodge again. go ford.

- , Oakland Park, FL, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Its completely ridiculous Dodge won't do anything about it - it seems to happen to nearly everyone with this truck. I called the dealership to inquire about getting it fixed and they said they would charge $900 in labor plus $600 for the part!

- , Granville, OH, USA

May 112005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

people complain about foreign cars what about our own, Dodge should man-up and fix this S@#*.

- , Checotah, OK, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

was always a ford fan and even traded my ford for a dodge. not impressed with the dash issue. i will no start to investigate on some ford material to make my own dash. when im finished i will probably send a pic to dodge..but not to insult any ford lovers.(as im still one of them)..but to show dodge how to do it right the first time. maybe the idiots(dodge) will at least try to redeem themselves.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA

Aug 242006

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

After seeing all the same complaints with the same issue, I am completely upset that Chrysler Dodge has avoided issuing a recall by stating it is not a safety concern. Chrysler has lost another customer like it really matters to them. My dash has completely fell apart. Big gaping holes in my dash, and the pieces have fallen into the duct work compartment. Edges are very sharp, and could cause injuries. Very expensive and troublesome to fix leaking evaporator core and clogged heater core... I am very upset that Dodge will not issue a recall for their known and widespread issue with dashes falling apart.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 072011

Ram 1500 5.9L

I received my 2001 Dodge Ram after my Dad passed away in '07. Pop had complained about the dash a little, but mostly about the heat and a.c. not working. The dash has COMPLETELY broken apart, pieces fall off everyday, and continue fall down into the inside of the vents and apparently caused something to tear up up with the heat / a.c. Called up Dodge / Chrysler : " Although their is no recall because it is not a safety issue (well duh), we can meet you halfway " Their version of halfway was almost $ 1,300.00 to repair the interior and heat / a.c., I had to pay half up front and hope the local dealership, that's right a Dodge dealership, would agree to the corporations terms and fix it. Needless to say that didn't happen. I thought maybe I was over reacting to this, but there's over 1,000 complaints about this same problem on the web !!! One web-site even has a photo of the interior of a truck that's identical to mine, including the hole in what used-to-be a dash ! Oh, and here's the topper.....their is already an after market replacement for the 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 - 3500, as well as the mini-vans. Bottom line, Dodge should replace the dashes as well as any problems this has caused in the operational components of the trucks, don't want monetary compensation in some silly law suit, JUST FIX IT !!!!!!

- , Lula, GA, US

Nov 102004

Ram 1500 5.2L

The dashboard on this '01 pickup totally failed just 4 years after purchase. I reported it to the local dealer who in return reported to corporate. Repsonse was that it was not covered under warranty. Offered to repair it for $1500 - nice. This is a defective product and should be replaced under a recall. From all the blog traffic on this subject, it is obvious that Dodge installed a defective product. It was made in Mexico according to door sticker! Will never buy one again after this treatment.

- , Pawleys Island, SC, USA

May 012011

Ram 1500 XLT 5.3L

I love my Ram except for the 2 major problems: Dashboard cracked all over the place and falling apart - I duck taped it to hold it from rattling. Other problem is ac leaking water into the front passenger seat. Fixed that by drilling a hole in floor and creating a channel for water to drip out thru the hole - works!

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins Diesel

My internet research shows that the cracked dashboard is a widespread known problem. I thought it was just from being in the sun, but apparently not. I want to know if Dodge is doing anything about this yet. I love the truck, but this makes it appears beaten, when it is still in very good shape. Paid a lot of $$$ for this truck and if this is a known issue, they should be willing to fix it. Especially if they ever want me to buy another one of their vehicles in the future. Service is everything.

- , Terrebonne, OR, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 6.O

Bought a diesel Ram because of reputation of durability. What a joke. I have never had a vehicle the dash actually fell apart. Cracks yes but no impairment of strength/function. Paid $800 18mo ago to get ac condenser replaced. Didn't know the dash was going to come apart or I would have had it done at the same time. I will never buy another Dodge. See other complaints about spring mounts falling apart.

- , Hendersonville, Select State, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500

I bought this vehicle used for $11,000 cash. After finishing the paperwork I get in to drive it home and notice reflection of a hole in the dash. Went into to complain, and got nowhere with the dealership. There solution was to give me a dash cover. Now 6 years later I have no dash left at all. Lift the cover and nothing but air. Pieces have fallen down blocking the vents. It has been a real pain in the ass. Dodge should have done a recall to fix this problem. Apparently by this web site there are several other Ram owners experiencing the same thing. I have owned about 5 Dodges over the last several years, but I'm afraid that is going to change. When I get rid of this one I will be going to a Ford or Chevy.

- , Belton, MO, USA

Apr 172012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Incredibly disturbing to see how many customers have had this well-known problem...and it continues on past this year model as well. It may seem like just a cosmetic problem, but when the pieces of broken dash begin to fall into the vents it turns into quite a different problem, and that's just not fair to any of us. Chrysler should do something about it, no matter how old the vehicle is. The dash on our truck looks absolutely awful, even though the truck has been well maintained. But, compared to the history of this truck's transmission failures, this complaint is minor (guess where our truck is as I type this...in the transmission shop being overhauled)....Yep, two very common complaints with this particular truck, and we're dealing with both of them.....bummer....

- , Gilmer, TX, USA

Jul 042011

Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.2L V8

The dash in my truck cracked last year. I treat it weekly with a dose of Armorall.the same with my 1992 Chevy 1500 Not one crack and going on 320k. Its is horrible and getting to the point where it is beginning to have support issues.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 082005

Ram 1500

DODGE NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO A RECALL ON ALL 98-2001 DODGE RAMS WITH CRACKED DASH BOARDS OR NO MORE BAIL OUTS FOR YOU WITH OUR TAX MONEY, NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S MONEY, OUR MONEY.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 282009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

That fact that i paid my truck off 6 months ago after paying $427 a month for 7 years and now i have to look at a dashboard that is completely f*cking cracked to pieces is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only that my transmission went on my truck at 60,000 miles and my rear-end blew at 100,000 miles!!!!!!!! And it has been a show truck since i bought it, so no these problems are not caused by a rough riding kid!!!!!!!!! I dont even let it touch snow and i live in the northeast.. Not a very big dodge fan anymore, booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Lisbon, CT, USA

Jul 112011

Ram 1500 Quad 5.2L

Dashboard is cracking severly in several places. Dashboard is starting to cave in and is a safety hazard.

- , Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Oct 152008

Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.2L

I have multipal problems with interior and exterior. No reall bad engine problems yet but only had truck for a year. If anyone can tell me about other problems with the same truck would be much appreciated.

- , Pekin, IL, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 Turbo Diesel

Dodge needs to RECALL this dash and replace it!! We have checked with Dodge and between parts and labor it will be close to 1,000 to fix it if not more.... Not only is the WHOLE dash caved in the weight of it falling in is tearing apart the whole trim area around the steering wheel and the radio system! PLEASE Recall the problem Dodge!! I would NEVER buy another car from ya'll!! It is a safty issue!! all the plastic pieces that fall down inside the dash area sit on the heater and air conditioner! The edges are Sharp and pointy!! It's a problem that needs to get fixed!! and Common sense says if trucks from 1995 -2006 Rams 1500 and 2500 ALL have the same problem with Dash it Needs to be a Recall!!!

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Feb 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

the entire top of the dashboard is cracked, speakers no longer work. embarassing for dodge

- , H. Ranch, CO, USA