8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (371 reports)
  2. replace dash (110 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 29)

May 012011

Ram 1500 XLT 5.3L

I love my Ram except for the 2 major problems: Dashboard cracked all over the place and falling apart - I duck taped it to hold it from rattling. Other problem is ac leaking water into the front passenger seat. Fixed that by drilling a hole in floor and creating a channel for water to drip out thru the hole - works!

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins Diesel

My internet research shows that the cracked dashboard is a widespread known problem. I thought it was just from being in the sun, but apparently not. I want to know if Dodge is doing anything about this yet. I love the truck, but this makes it appears beaten, when it is still in very good shape. Paid a lot of $$$ for this truck and if this is a known issue, they should be willing to fix it. Especially if they ever want me to buy another one of their vehicles in the future. Service is everything.

- , Terrebonne, OR, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 6.O

Bought a diesel Ram because of reputation of durability. What a joke. I have never had a vehicle the dash actually fell apart. Cracks yes but no impairment of strength/function. Paid $800 18mo ago to get ac condenser replaced. Didn't know the dash was going to come apart or I would have had it done at the same time. I will never buy another Dodge. See other complaints about spring mounts falling apart.

- , Hendersonville, Select State, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500

I bought this vehicle used for $11,000 cash. After finishing the paperwork I get in to drive it home and notice reflection of a hole in the dash. Went into to complain, and got nowhere with the dealership. There solution was to give me a dash cover. Now 6 years later I have no dash left at all. Lift the cover and nothing but air. Pieces have fallen down blocking the vents. It has been a real pain in the ass. Dodge should have done a recall to fix this problem. Apparently by this web site there are several other Ram owners experiencing the same thing. I have owned about 5 Dodges over the last several years, but I'm afraid that is going to change. When I get rid of this one I will be going to a Ford or Chevy.

- , Belton, MO, USA

Apr 172012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

Incredibly disturbing to see how many customers have had this well-known problem...and it continues on past this year model as well. It may seem like just a cosmetic problem, but when the pieces of broken dash begin to fall into the vents it turns into quite a different problem, and that's just not fair to any of us. Chrysler should do something about it, no matter how old the vehicle is. The dash on our truck looks absolutely awful, even though the truck has been well maintained. But, compared to the history of this truck's transmission failures, this complaint is minor (guess where our truck is as I type this...in the transmission shop being overhauled)....Yep, two very common complaints with this particular truck, and we're dealing with both of them.....bummer....

- , Gilmer, TX, USA

Jul 042011

Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.2L V8

The dash in my truck cracked last year. I treat it weekly with a dose of Armorall.the same with my 1992 Chevy 1500 Not one crack and going on 320k. Its is horrible and getting to the point where it is beginning to have support issues.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 082005

Ram 1500

DODGE NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO A RECALL ON ALL 98-2001 DODGE RAMS WITH CRACKED DASH BOARDS OR NO MORE BAIL OUTS FOR YOU WITH OUR TAX MONEY, NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S MONEY, OUR MONEY.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 282009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

That fact that i paid my truck off 6 months ago after paying $427 a month for 7 years and now i have to look at a dashboard that is completely f*cking cracked to pieces is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only that my transmission went on my truck at 60,000 miles and my rear-end blew at 100,000 miles!!!!!!!! And it has been a show truck since i bought it, so no these problems are not caused by a rough riding kid!!!!!!!!! I dont even let it touch snow and i live in the northeast.. Not a very big dodge fan anymore, booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Lisbon, CT, USA

Jul 112011

Ram 1500 Quad 5.2L

Dashboard is cracking severly in several places. Dashboard is starting to cave in and is a safety hazard.

- , Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Oct 152008

Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.2L

I have multipal problems with interior and exterior. No reall bad engine problems yet but only had truck for a year. If anyone can tell me about other problems with the same truck would be much appreciated.

- , Pekin, IL, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 Turbo Diesel

Dodge needs to RECALL this dash and replace it!! We have checked with Dodge and between parts and labor it will be close to 1,000 to fix it if not more.... Not only is the WHOLE dash caved in the weight of it falling in is tearing apart the whole trim area around the steering wheel and the radio system! PLEASE Recall the problem Dodge!! I would NEVER buy another car from ya'll!! It is a safty issue!! all the plastic pieces that fall down inside the dash area sit on the heater and air conditioner! The edges are Sharp and pointy!! It's a problem that needs to get fixed!! and Common sense says if trucks from 1995 -2006 Rams 1500 and 2500 ALL have the same problem with Dash it Needs to be a Recall!!!

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Feb 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

the entire top of the dashboard is cracked, speakers no longer work. embarassing for dodge

- , H. Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500

Have never had a vehicle where a dashboard has cracked at all, but this is really really bad it is so cracked up it is in pieces, I see several other complaints concerning the same problem with the same vehicle, why is Dodge not recalling this vehicle will probably never purchase a Dodge in the future.

- , Katy, TX, USA

Mar 022010

Ram 1500 8.0L

the dashboard is so brittle i touched today and a big hunk fell out.ill never buy a dodge again dodge need to rethink there way of building there trucks.crap

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 152006

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Bed 4WD 5.9L

I have never heard of a dash falling apart, into tiny pieces. What's with that? And why hasn't Dodge recalled these and put in new dashes? This is uncalled for. Do they think that we will buy more pickups from them???

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V6

Dodge needs to replace this. It is obvious it is a major defect. The dashboard is disintegrating.

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 042004

Ram 1500

Please recall this.. I am so over it. My husband also has a dodge but I will never own another with this cheap plastic you have on the inside.. Please help up fix this problem as we paid so much money for these trucks and if you want to keep making money then make us happy...

- , Lake Panasoffkee, Fl, USA

Aug 202009

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.2L V8

Was already cracked when I purchased the truck. My 95 Dodge 1500 has the same problem! Come on Dodge, recall it guys! gezzzz...

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 022011

Ram 1500 SLT Cummins Diesel

This is uncalled for considering how many of these trucks are on the road. For the year our truck doesn't have alot of miles and this is awful. we're talking over $1,000 for replacement and I think dodge should cover this expense. Our dash looks like cracked ice, there are so many cracks and missing pieces.

- , Hotchkiss, CO, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500 4x4 V8

We placed a carpet cover over it, but it continues to fall apart under it. The emergency brake also broke loose...guess what....the sun doesn't shine there. And...the cigarette lighter went all the way through, once again the sun doesn't shine on it either. DODGE - Quit blaming it on the sun and heat and step up to fix your mistakes with this plastic nightmare, I can't even get cold or hot air to blow where it needs to with all the holes.

- , Nolanville, TX, USA