8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (363 reports)
  2. replace dash (105 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 29)

Aug 202009

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.2L V8

Was already cracked when I purchased the truck. My 95 Dodge 1500 has the same problem! Come on Dodge, recall it guys! gezzzz...

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 022011

Ram 1500 SLT Cummins Diesel

This is uncalled for considering how many of these trucks are on the road. For the year our truck doesn't have alot of miles and this is awful. we're talking over $1,000 for replacement and I think dodge should cover this expense. Our dash looks like cracked ice, there are so many cracks and missing pieces.

- , Hotchkiss, CO, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500 4x4 V8

We placed a carpet cover over it, but it continues to fall apart under it. The emergency brake also broke loose...guess what....the sun doesn't shine there. And...the cigarette lighter went all the way through, once again the sun doesn't shine on it either. DODGE - Quit blaming it on the sun and heat and step up to fix your mistakes with this plastic nightmare, I can't even get cold or hot air to blow where it needs to with all the holes.

- , Nolanville, TX, USA

Oct 202007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

It is unsatisfactory of Dodge not to admit the issue or repsond in an appropriate manner. I will not own another dodge product.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 032005

Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 5.2L V8

Makes the interior of the vehicle one big eyesore. Pieces keep falling in.

Dodge should recall!

- , Santa Rosa, TX, USA

Apr 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9ltr

I'm afraid to clean my dash for fear of the dash caving in. I'm amazed at the amount of "on the head" descriptions of the dashboard cracks. It's astonishing with the amount of complaints that Dodge hasn't "made it right" with it's "valued" customers.

Right now I have almost 200,000 mi on it and it's still running strong (must have a Wedensday truck) everything is great but the dash and the plastic front molding piece around the speedometer and radio area. clicks into the dash has all just broken off and pulls off with the touch of a finger. How dangerous is that to fall off on your arms when driving and get wrapped up with the steering wheel or get your hands pinned.

- , Hertford, NC, USA

Aug 162011

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L

Granted the truck is 10 years old, the first crack in my dash didn't concern me too badly. I bought some clear silicone and ran a bead from top to bottom of the crack. It seemed to fix it without the aesthetics being very noticeable. However, the second and third cracks that occurred for no reason at all, have heightened my concern immensely. All I can think about is me driving on the freeway and the whole dash just crumbles off. My imagination may be getting the best of me, but after seeing other Dodges with the same problem I don't really think I am too far off. I would like to know what would happen if that were to happen, before it happens. I don't think too many people would take that kind of surprise too well. A safety hazard for sure! It could cause an accident! Aren't vehicles supposed to pass a safety check? Why isn't Dodge doing anything about it? Is it because of how much it could cost the company? Is there a number of signatures that would have to be obtained before something can and will be done about this? There goes the resale value right out the window! I might sound reserved but in all actuality I am @#*!! mad!!! Companies and their products all over the world get away with faulty crap, but a car company really should be held accountable. These aren't just vehicles we are driving, they are weapons. They should be warrantied to be kept in the safest standards without having to cost US, the consumers more. Damn it.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 132010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

This vehicle is garage kept since bought in 2002 with only 15000 miles on it. It has noty been abused, off-roaded, or subjected to hash weather conditions. There's no good reason why the dash cracked, and the crack adds about 10 years to the appearance (looks like a 20 year old dash subjected to dry dessert off-road abuse).

- , Waynesville, MO, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 LT v8

I hear after doing much research on my dash problem that dodge has had this problem for a long time but why not fix it is my Question I will never buy another Dodge as long as I live DODGE= damage on dash greatly experienced from now on i will buy a CHEVY or a Toyota better truck in my opinion my sister has a Chevy with over 200,000 miles and looks and runs like the day she bought it.

Does dodge still wonder why they were not given the payout money they wanted if they do then they should be directed to this site they might understand why ppl are not buying dodge

- , Yellville, AR, USA

Apr 132010

Ram 1500

my dash got a lot of cracks in it and now the cracks are coming together and chunks of the dash are starting to fall in. I try to keep my vehicles looking nice but no matter how often I wash the truck the dash looks like hell and I mean sh*tty hell did I mention it looks like hell. dodge needs to stand behind this before they get a lawsuit on them when somebody cuts themselves and dodge knows that the plastic is junk and it has been reported to them enough times.

- , Canton, OH, USA

Sep 012011

Ram 1500

My 2001 dodge ram 1500 is great, all but, my hideous caved in dash ;it keeps cracking and eventually will be in pieces,or cause an accident. Dodge should fix this problem before there is a big lawsuite.

- , Columbia, TN, USA

Jan 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Every Dodge Ram Truck I've seen with in a few years of mine has had this problem. I would say all did. That's a 100% failure record. 100% failure and Dodge did nothing. What kind of company runs a business this way, only one and that's Dodge. Very dishonest people in charge of this company. Hope you pay later for this.

- , sapulpa, OK, USA

Dec 082011

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 5.9L

Have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. purchased the truck apr. 2 years ago.

excellent condition and had very low mileage for the year, 36,000. The entire truck was really in great condition, fully loaded, leather interior, four wheel drive. Nothing, I mean nothing was wrong with it. On 12/08/2011, went out to the vehicle in the morning and noticed the crack on the passenger side dashboard. It runs from the windshield all the way to the top of the air bag area. The weather was warm and had been raining that night. Not cold or freezing! Always took good care of this vehicle as its a business vehicle. There has never been anything laid on the dash or slammed on it. I didn't know there were other complaints of the same thing by other owners til I was looking for a replacement. Also, found that it wasn't recommended to replace it as it will eventually occur again. I agree, the company needs to address and recall this vehicle for replacement. Never, never had a vehicle that had the dashboard just up and crack for no reason.

- , Conover, NC, USA

Feb 112008

Ram 1500 5.9L

I have called dodge and they have yet to do any damn thing about their cheap ass dashboards. This will be the last dodge this American will ever purchase or even allow in his driveway! Dodge does not stand behind their product, they are crooks using the cheapest materials they can find and putting their failures into the hands of their customers to fix! sad that we have to deal with getting the shaft by poor businesses such as Dodge. Go to china you cheap ass bastards I WILL BUY FORD FROM NOW ON! NEVER GM THEY ARE OWNED BY OBAMA!

- , Florence, KY, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It is a shame that these trucks are notorious for having cracked dashboards. The dash plastic feels like something you would find on a toy. Very cheep. Not a safety issue unless a passenger gets cut on the sharp edges I am sure Dodge will never address the issue.

- , Center Moriches, NY, USA

Oct 072008

Ram 1500 V8

It started as a small hole and now it's almost all gone on the top portion of the dash. The cracks are now creeping down toward where the stereo, ashtray, glovebox are and further. What happens when the pieces are falling in my lap and cause an accident, is that when they'll do something? Is there anyone out there who can help with info to get the makers to fix this properly and at their cost? I am certain this is a very hazardous situation, not to mention that it's destroyed my resale value and I can't get a decent trade in for it. My friends all ask why isn't anything being done about this? I am furious like the rest of you dealing with this problem. signing off "Dead Dodge", "Dreadful Dodge", Dangerous Dodge", Deadly Dodge".

- , Comfort, TX, USA

Oct 172010

Ram 1500

3rd chrysler product ==== can you spell TOYOTA??????????

- , Stewartstown, PA, USA

Nov 012009

Ram 1500 Sport Slt Plus 5.9L

My 01 ram 1500 sport with all options (including the slt-plus interior package). has two straight cracks from the windsheild to the front cover of the dash. guess im lucky since they have been known to cave in and fall apart... hopefully dodge will buck up and help with the cost of fixing this since so many of us are having the same problem

- , Tualatin, OR, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

I got my 2001 truck used in 2001 with very low mileage. The truck was only 6 months old by the date of manufacture when I got it. I was a lot ticked off that the dealer I got the truck from did not disclose to me that it had been in a minor wreck. Guess thats why I got a good deal on it. But it was and still is a good running truck. I have had no trouble out of it until 2007. Thats when the first crack came into being, with a crack I might add. I herd the snap and looked over and a huge crack appeared. It ran straight up and down the middle of the passenger side, more or less cutting the dash in half. Man you talk about pissed off, I was fit to be tied. I had always tried to take care of my truck, and not let some people I know put their feet up on the dash. Well it went all down hill from there. One day in 2010 I rolled down my windows and the wind caught a piece of the dash and flipped it in my face. I ran off the side of the road and nearly wrecked. And here is the kicker, I was on my way to work. At the end of the day when I got off work I had a flat tire. There was a nail in the sidewall that could not be fixed. I had to buy a new tire,[thanks dodge].I can't touch the dash anymore, the lightest touch now will break more pieces off. And the plastic covers they sell to put on top of the dash is only a short term fix. The dash continues to fall apart under the dash cap causing the cap to warp and not fit right, or not at all. The only way to fix it is with a new dash, which I cant afford at a whooping $500.00 bucks. This is one problem that dodge should step forward to fix because it is a safety issue.

- , Conway, SC, USA

Apr 102008

Ram 1500 Off Road 5.9L

There is a complete void from all the pieces that have fallen off due to cheap plastic. It is such cheap plastic that it falls off whe i clean it. Dodge should fix this problem. I cant believe a car company ignores a problem like this. Not only will i never buy a dodge again but I would tell all my friends not to as well. Terrible company for not recalling this issue

- , Ringoes, NJ, USA