8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (378 reports)
  2. replace dash (119 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 30)

Dec 312009

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

I CALLED THIS NUMBER SET UP BY DODGE. THEY WANTED ME TO GO TO A DODGE DEALER AND FOR 53.00 A SERVICE MANAGER COULD TELL THEM THAT MY DASH WAS LITERATELY CAVED IN. ANYBODY COULD CLEARLY SEE THAT IT WAS FALLING APART. A SUPERVISOR GOT ON THE PHONE AND SAID I CAN'T TALK TO YOU UNTIL YOU GET THIS APPROVAL. I ASKED IF I GOT IT WOULD THEY FIX MY DASH. HE SAID IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED? WHAT AN IDIOT THIS GUY WAS. POUR MORE GOOD MONEY ON A BAD OUTCOME. HE WAS A TOTAL ASS, THEN HE REFUSED TO EVEN TALK TO ME ANYMORE. I THINK THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MADE ME MAD WAS HIS LACK OF CARING. I HAVE RAN INTO PEOPLE THAT SAY THEY GOT A NEW DASH AND HAD TO PAY FOR THE LABOR WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE AND IT IS STARTING TO CRACK AGAIN. IF A RECALL WAS EVER NEEDED THIS IS IT. YES THEY DO HAVE THEY SAFETY BOARD IN THEIR POCKET AND NOW IN OURS. SHAME ON YOU DODGE. CORPORATE GREED WINS AGAIN. IF YOU HAVE A 2001 DODGE PICK-UP THERE IS NO HELP

- , Whitney, TX, USA

Jul 052001

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

this is a problem that dodge is aware of. i called dodge dealer to get a new dash, and they told me that they were on about a ten month backorder and they probably would not get one before dodge discontinued making them. there is a fiberglass replacement dash available for between 300.00 and 400.00, and i think dodge should have to pay for this replacement. the new dash from dodge was priced at 895.95, so they would be saving money, and loyal mopar customers.

- , Cave Springs, AR, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

Wanted a dodge 4x4 for a long time, and finally got one, Shortly after I bought it, My dashboard started caving in, There is NOTHING LEFT to put a COVER on, Sure makes me not like the dodge Ive always wanted, and then to find out that DODGE is willing to do NOTHING to make it right...and the NHTSA's (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is not going to make them recall it, what a crock, guess Dodge has more pull with those guys than the consumers do, Dont worry about all the sharp edges and pieces falling down into the wiring harnesses and the electrical failure of mirrors and headlights and fog lights and stuff like that thats not a concern..Not a safty Issue....I'm gonna call B-Sh$# on that one, The truth is (or appears to be that)

1. Dodge just dont Give a sh*t, once your out of warranty Ha.. ha... the jokes on you!

2. They evidently are so stupid that they dont want our future business.

3. The people who are supposed to make them recall it are complete dumbasses if they really believe this is not a safty issue

4 The big wheels at the NTSB must not own a dodge with this problem ... need i say more?

I Just want Dodge to do what is right and make right on their outsourced mexican plastic. Hell, just give me the freakin dash, i will put it in myself. Hey DODGE.... Make a bad deal you make it right..Not a Safety Issue?... My ASS. Just tell us to f*ck off and be through with it...I could take that better than the bullshit lies...

- , Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Jul 072009

Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.2L

I have had my 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 since it was new. People often tell me that they think it is a new truck.

The fact that the dash is developing new cracks all the time is infuriating,especially when i hear of so many people having the same problem and nothing being done about it.

My Dodge dealer said sorry nothing we can do... GREAT ANSWER !!!

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Mar 152005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It started as a single crack, than it developed another, then another, then another. Some of these cracked run from the windshied to the front of the dash--12-16 inched. This is the direct fault of Chrsler Coporation, I don't undertstand why the government hasn't come to bat for the American consumer! It's not a great safety concercern unless the airbag releases or you cut a finger while cleaning the vehicle and get an infection.

Clearly Chrysler dropped the ball on their selection of plastic for this project. UV inhibitors apparently were not in the plastic. Whoever specified the material clearly dropped the ball and they need to be held accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The american public shouldn't continue to pay for Chryslers mistakes. We've pulled out of the hole several times and it's time for them to step up to the plate and take their medicine.

- , Hanover, PA, USA

Jul 142006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

A chunk of the dashboard fell through the dash, got lodged in behind the brake pedal, and failed to allow me to stop, killing a cat.

- , Potterville, MI, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS AT34000MI.CRACKED DASH BY09 BOTH DOORS RUSTED ON BOTTOM ONLY84000MI.DEFECT IN WORKMANSHIP ALL SHOULD BE RECALLS

- , New Castle, DE, US

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I got this truck when my dad passed away last year the dash started to crack, now it has caved in with only 28000 miles on it . Dodge needs to do the right thing and replace the dashboard.

- , Seabrook, TX, USA

Aug 302009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Apparently dashboard cracking is a common problem with Dodge vehicles. They should have already done something about it but will not take responsibility. All I have to say is I am done with the entire Chrysler Corporation. They make sh*tty products that are far inferior to other brands. I will never buy a Dodge again.

- , Little Elm, TX, USA

May 042002

Ram 1500

Dodge needs to have a dash recall on this vehicle. Lots of complaints about it. Too expensive for individual to fix. $1,200,00 to $1,500.00. I have even purchased a dash cover & put over it. It is not a good thing for resale value.

- , Hugo, OK, USA

Sep 002008

Ram 1500 LS V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

We have been dealing with this problem over 6 years, we kept the dash conditioned with Armor All, and a sun visor for protection. The cracks kept getting worse til it actually started to fall in. An estimate at the Dealership was $1500. I have found out from other Dodge truck owners this is VERY common. The man I talked to at the dealership even said Dodge Rams were bad about having the dash crack. Why has this problem not been addressed? We need the Dodge people to acknowledge there is a problem and at least help us pay for the repairs. My husband is very disillusioned with Dodge! I don't think his next truck, will be a Dodge if this is how they treat their customers!

- , Ladson, SC, USA

Jan 122005

Ram 1500 SL 5.2L V8

Would have been a great truck except for the awful dash you have to look at everyday. I have three chrysler products in the driveway now, but will never again. If they would have recalled them to fix them, I might have the faith that they will stand behind their product when it is obviously a horrible design, process, or material defect.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I OWN A CHRYSLER PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 212005

Ram 1500 XL 5.03

I own a 1999, 2001' and 2002 dodge ram 1500 pickups, all of the dashboards

have broken apart well before 75000 miles, i own 2 chevy pickups also, 1999 with over 250000 miles on it and a 2006 with 152000 miles and their dashes look just as good as

they did when they were new, for that reason alone I will never own a pc. of crap that falls apart like a dodge does. Dodge needs to recall all of them just as chevy did on the paint jobs of the late 1980's and early 90 models, just so they (dodge) can maybe save face.

NO LONGER A DODGE CUSTOMER

- , Vidalia, GA, USA

May 052005

Ram 1500 4x4 V8

My 2001 red dodge truck was beautiful inside and out.I even named it Clifford like the big red dog. My husband and I have taken great care of it , but now the dash makes it look terrible. It started with cracks and now the dash is almost completely broken. that includes the glove comp. and the a/c vents. We have tried to replace it with a used one because a new one would be too exp. but every Dodge truck we see during 99-2001 have the same problem . How can it be that all of the dashes are broken? There has to be a defect and a recall done ASAP.

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Jan 012003

Ram 1500

The dash continues to fall apart, the dash bezel surrounding the gauges is falling down on to the steering wheel. The dash went from a few minor cracks, to holes in the dash, to a full collapse. Every bump on the road another piece falls off. I am worried about the broken pieces flying toward my passengers or myself in the event of a motor vehicle accident or other driving hazards. This is obviously a safety issue and needs to be addressed.

- , St. Cloud, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

SHOULD BE A RECALL FROM DODGE.Cant believe they are not covering this, it really suck big ass bawls

- , Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jun 242004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Well it appears that I'm not the only one that has gotten screwed by dodge! WTF is their problem and why havent they made any steps to correct this problem?

- , Tallapoosa, GA, USA

Aug 012009

Ram 1500

MY DASH IS NON SENSE WE NEED A RECALL IF IT WAS A FORIEGN TRUCK IT WOULD DONE HAVE ONE .SO DODGE NEEDS TO GET TOGETHER AND TAKE CARE OF THIER VALUED COSTOMERS!!

- , Wood River, IL, US

Feb 222011

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I had to remove the dash and it basically crumbled apart. Once it started there was no stopping it.

- , Richlands, NC, US

Apr 282011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Dodge is pretty much known for crappy interiors, but this is bullsh!t !!! Let's be very clear on this. My dash is not cracked, IT IS CRATERED!!! It's like someone opened up on it with a 12 gauge. Started bout 3 yrs ago. I just spent the last 7 hours pulling the entire frickin dash out to replace the heater core (yet another piss ass poor design from Mopar and a separate personal b!tch of mine). After getting to the problem, I have no dashboard left. I only broke a couple little pieces in the process. I counted 23, YES twenty frickin three pieces of brittle dash board. DASH COVER CAP??? WTF am I gonna cover??? THERE IS NOT A FLIPPIN THING LEFT TO COVER!!!! Why doesn't someone from Dodge come out and tell me WTF to cover. Now I'm worried about my 2006 Ram half ton. Have had at least a dozen Fords from 60's to present and NONE have had faulty material in the plastic dash. PISS POOR DESIGN CHRYSLER!!! You are part of the reason that America is an outsourced joke. Save a few pennies and stick us with crap you unamerican sons of b!tches. ( NOTE: turn off the passenger side airbag. I guarantee you it's a claymore mine waiting to send dash flak in your kid's face)

- , Moline, KS, USA