8.4

$1,962.00

1. replaced rear differential (19 reports)
  3. replaced with a rear differential from Detroit Tru-Trac (3 reports)
  4. replaced rear-end and transfer (2 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012015

Ram 1500 4.7L

I bought this truck a couple weeks ago off Craigslist. It was a Lifeguard vehicle in California that they sent to auction. My second trip down the hill to Sacramento from Auburn going to Dinios the rear end started howling off and on. At this point I was about a mile from my destination. I came to a stop sign at my location and proceeded to turn right when my rear axle locked up and my drive shaft broke off. If I would of listened to my girlfriend say we should get back on the freeway in try to make it home I fear that I would not be writing this message today. My biggest blessing is that I didn't get back on the freeway. For my son my girlfriend and I could off potentially been killed. Once the rear end seized and broke the drive line the tires never rotated again. In on the freeway at 65 miles an hour to have the reared lock up could of killed not only my family but anyone else's family near my truck. Dodge needs to wake up sales really .... sales are more important then peoples lives.

- , Auburn, CA, USA

May 232014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7hemi

love this truck ! BOUGHT IT NEW, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT UNTIL THIS OCCURRED. MOST DISAPPOINTING THING ABOUT IT IS I CANT AFFORD TO FIX IT. BEEN SITTING IN BACK OF DRIVEWAY SINCE LAST YEAR! CHANGED DIFF FLUIDS ON TIME [TWICE] SINCE NEW ONCE BY DEALER AND STILL HAD PROBLEM! IS THERE ANY HELP COMING SOON ?

- , Hatboro, Pennsylvania, USA

Mar 072007

Ram 1500 Slt 4x4 4.3L

Barely made it home but at least it didn't lock the rear end and drop the driveshaft. Had the car towed to a Jeep Chrysler dealership with only 54k miles. Truck is a 4x4 that barely seen use as a 4x4 . It took them a week just to get the parts. Rear end later developed a whine with the accelerator off but better on load. The dealership later closed and I just put up with it.

Now at 110 k there seems to be lurching or lost connection of power. It looks like the rear end is going to go out again. Looks like this is a common defect with the rear ends with no guaranteed fix. After 12 years, you would think this problem would be fixed with better bearings, locking tangs for pinion nut and better retention clips.

Too bad the quality in body style isn't matched mechanically.

- , Corte Madera, California, USA

Nov 182014

Ram 1500

With only a brief notice of noise, when I exited the HWY running 70, when I started to exit the ramp, I heard a loud bang, and my drive shaft had fallen to the ground, I couldn't steer the truck because of this and also the rear brake caliper locked up. I slid into the curb causing damage and cars behind me were slamming on brakes barely missing my truck. It could have ended really bad. I had it towed to local shop and was $2700 plus a week to get parts to get it back on the road. Dodge knows it is a faulty part, ISSUE a recall before someone gets rear ended and killed like I could have been. Dodge needs to add 2003 years to the recall of the rear drive shaft problem.

- , Four Oaks, NC, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

Suddenly heard whining noise from rear of vehicle as we were towing our camper on I-95 near Baltimore. Tried to make it to a break in the guardrail so we could get off the road. About 50 feet before the opening, there was a loud bang as the rear end blew apart, exposing the gears, leaving the drive shaft dragging on the ground and a 50 foot oil streak. Total time from first noise to blow up was less than 30 seconds. Fluid level was checked less than two weeks prior.

Oh, did I say that was a saturday afternoon, 300 miles from home and the start of a 4th of July camping vacation? Only one open repair shop in the area and they had us by the $$$$'s. No more Dodge trucks for me.

- , Berlin, CT, USA

Nov 052010

Ram 1500 SLT/Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi

click to see larger images

rear differential failure

Truck rear end snapped and went out completely back in Nov of 2010.. Had to get it towed home and then to a 4x4 shop out of my own pocket.. I was stranded for a day and a half. I was without my truck for a month. When the shop called me, they said the pinion bearing went bad and snapped all the spider gears... I spent 900$ in new rebuild parts... I have driving it for about 1 year and the "clunking" started again... It's been getting worse and worse the longer I drive on it... I gotta take it back to the shop where the work was done and hopefully they will repair it with their own warranty they offer... No doubt the bearing went out again and is breaking off teeth from the spider gears again... Why hasn't dodge figured out a solution to this OBVIOUS manufactures default and called a recall on these 3.55 rear end issues in these 2003 dodge ram 1500 SLT/Laramie trucks yet?!?!?! What the hell are they thinking!!!! It's unsafe and seriously dangerous to send out into the world potentially life threatening manufactures foul ups!!!!! I pray that everyone driving these trucks, as well as myself stay safe out there on these rough streets!!! I'm filing a complaint and calling BBB about this issue!!! Enough is enough, I've been a loyal Dodge customer for several decades now and this truly is the last straw!!! I WANT RESOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!! And reimbursement for my financial loss and hardship!!! By the way, I have NEVER been off roading in my beautiful truck!!! What's the deal?!?!?!

- , Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Bought truck brand new. Just after the original 50K drive train warranty expired, I start noticing a whine from the rear end. "Need to replace!" says my local dealer. Really? Replace the whole rear-end - on a TRUCK - with nothing but easy highway miles - that's never towed or carried anything heavier than my arse? "Must be done", says he. For some strange reason I had the money in my savings account, so I get it done. Since then, I've had the rear end checked regularly and fresh oil kept in it. Now I'm at 130k miles. Guess what? Whine coming from the rear end again. Dealer says "Replace!". I say "Not going to happen". When I look online, this seems to be a common problem for Dodge truck owners. Is their any actual SOLUTION to this problem, other than just putting the same faulty parts back in and crossing my fingers? Is there a later year rear end with less issues that can be swapped in? Aftermarket build something better than Dodge's complete failure? How can I get a Chevy 10 bolt in there - I've treated those like crap my whole life and NEVER had to replace one!

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Jan 042013

Ram 1500 SLT V8

In looking on the web, and researching this a little bit, there seems to be a fairly large problem with the rear-ends in the Dodge Ram trucks. First, I seem to recall this truck being a Motor Trend truck of the year at some point, and the problem is not limited to one model year. I have seen one site that graphs the complaints and it seems this rear-end problem peaked in 2010. I can't believe they ignored this problem, and can't believe that Dodge has ignored this problem for so long. As a matter of fact, the decline in complaints in 2011 and 2012 may be because auto sales tanked with the economy, so the problem may still be as bad.

I plan on buying a new truck in a year or so, and unless they own up and fix this problem I will NOT look at Dodge.........sorry.

- , Rice, VA, USA

Jan 032013

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

It started with a whining, but I just got new tires so I figured that was the cause. Travelling on the PA turnpike the sucker let loose and started bucking and carrying on. I limped it to the first mechanic I found at 5:30 in the morning and left it for him to look at. He said the diffy was gone and would cost $2500 in parts. I ended up paying $350 to tow it home and there it sits in my driveway leaking gear oil all over the place.

THANKS DODGE for making a terrific product.

- , Douglassville, PA, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Had a dealer repair could not justify new parts used wreckers qualified parts cost 3000 got another 600 miles blew again going to cost the same again. Dealer will reimburse 1500 but seems to me there should be a recall. discussed with neighbor his friend had it lock up on a major highway I suspect there are many cases not reported here.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Sep 302011

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Well I guess I'm another lucky Dodge Ram 1500 owner with a locked up rear differential. This truck has 4WD, 104,000 miles. At first I thought it was a rear brake pad or inner shoe dragging. Problem - one rear wheel will lock up after backing up, and then, as going forward a few feet -- Snaps free or should Clanks free. Now wheels locked together - no slippage for turns. Apparently, from the previous owner, at 20,000-30,000miles (2005) was in for " clunking in rear axle " at a dealership in San Diego, Calif.

So, How do we get a recall going from Dodge. Petitions? NTSB-National Transportation and Safety Board? Ralph Nader?

Other than that Runs Great! for 100,000+ miles. At the moment looking for a reputable service shop in Los Angeles

- , glendale, CA, USA

Dec 262010

Ram 1500 SL 4.7lV8

I had the rear end repaired under warranty in 2006. however the dealer hoodwinked me into $900 worth of repairs replaced front wheel bearings when I probably didn't need them replaced. I sold the truck to my stepson in May 2010. When we went to visit him in Fl in Dec 2010 he complained of a noise in the rear end. We took the truck to a dealer in Chiefland Fl.The dealer told us the rear end needed to be replaced. We had this done at a cost of $2000. My stepson has only driven the truck 3000 miles. The rear end noise is back,the repair job is still under the 12 month warranty. I feel that Dodge knew that that model of truck had bad rear ends but didn't issue a recall. When my stepson comes home from over the road truck driving we will have the rear checked out again. I hope the dealer honors the warranty of the dec 2010 repair.

Oct 052011

Ram 1500

Just bought this truck used from a dealer less then a year ago. had 58000 miles on it. at the time. at 70450 miles the rear differential went out. every one wants $2500.00 to fix this. I am taking my chances and going to the junk yard and fixing it myself and hoping i get a good rear end for $800.00 I am a Chrysler employee and this is my 3rd dodge truck and I have had problems with them all. I will never buy another one. Pay this one off and giving ford a shot. sad to say

Sep 052011

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi V8

Under 80k miles on the truck, the pinion bearing and seal went, sprayed most of the gear oil out. The repair shop took it apart and said the whole rear end would have to be replaced because it had run without much oil, which was going to cost (best case scenario) about $2000 to replace with used parts.

- , Ontario, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 Hemi

rear locker failure, clutch retaining clip broke, wore into carrier barring cap and housing. I hear this is a big problem with Dodge Ram trucks, Chrysler Corp. refuse's to make a recall, too bad !!!! I WILL NEVER own a Chrysler car or truck again !!!!!!!! Dealership wants 4000.00 dollars to fix !!!!!! Ya right.....they can kiss my ass !!!!!

Jan 312011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab

One month ago while getting my oil change, the shop mechanic had my truck in the air and noticed water leaking from my rear differential. He advised me that there is water inside my rear differential. So i took the vehicle to a repair shop to change the rear differential fluid. When they took off the rear differential cover, they noticed 3 small circular metal pieces come out of the rear differential and they did not know what it was. So i bought the vehicle to know rear differential specialist and showed him the pieces and he advised me that it looks like part of my positive trac system. Is just a matter of time before that goes out. Now i am driving my vehicle wondering when will this go out and where will it leave me stranded. 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter

- , Opelousas, LA, USA

Jul 072010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Truck has never been off road. Very Surprised that a Limited Slip Differential would go bad after only 52,000 miles! I had two months before the 7 year 70,000 warranty expired, happily!

The truck is babied and always garaged!

- , Seaside Park, NJ, USA

Apr 092008

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Richard Petty got me driving Dodges in early 70s, and have drove one every since. I put up with the weak front-ends in the early models but stayed true, but this is a major malfunction. Less than 100,000 the whole frigging drive train was babied and should not have fallen out, (literally in middle of interstate transfer case and rear-end). I can't wait to get rid of this truck and am considering giving up Chrysler altogether

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 122009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Been dealing with this nagging whining noise since October 2009, and decided to take it in here Sept 2010. Mileage at start was 84500 and now sits at 92450 and just decided to have it looked at. Got the call from the dodge dealer and it needs a rebuild as the bearing pinion is toast. $1190 to fix. I haven't picked it up yet, but that is what they are saying is wrong. I won't complain too much. This is a 2003 and I just now had my first major issue with it. Time will tell if it takes care of the problem...and for how long....

- , Austin, AR, USA

Nov 132009

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

I bought this truck used. The truck looks awesome and mean but it really is weak. It's not as bad ass as it looks! The rear end blew out along with the tranny and also the rack and pinion. All had to be fixed at the same time. I was without a car for a month. I have always owned a Ford and it looks like I will buy a Ford next time around.

- , West Islip, New York, USA