9.3

$2,000.00

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 132015

Ram 1500 V6

My son drove around the corner to the left and the right front passenger wheel just took off on its own. Thanks heaven no one got injured but the part just broke off. No one wants to take responsibility. I am not an engineer or a mechanic but I know this much, I am not the only one who it happened to. Chrysler should make people whole again and not blow them off. I love my Dodge, but this can result in to death when it happens at a higher speed.

- , Longwood, FL, USA

May 302010

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

click to see larger images

wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving

On 5/29/2010 I was driving in Dallas, TX with my son, his girlfriend and 2 other adults when I began hearing loud popping / snapping sounds coming from the front of my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 Hemi / 2wd / quadcab / approx 128,500 miles).

The next day (5/30/2010) I had a friend, who has automotive knowledge, drive me into town, so he could listen / feel what my truck was doing & I could get some groceries because I was scared to drive it. On the way home we made a left turn and I heard an extremely loud cracking sound and nervously made the comment, "Sounds like the front-end is fixing to fall out from under it." Within two miles, at 60 mph, the right front tire went flying off the side of the road, the front-end hit the pavement, and sparks where going everywhere. The "steering knuckle" had broken at the 2 bolt holes which holds it on. I am so thankful I had someone driving who knew how to handle the situation and kept us from rolling over, by keeping his foot on the gas & not instinctively stepping on the brake / allowing the weight of the truck to bring us to a stop.

When I contacted Dodge about the issue I received the standard "out of warranty" statement. However, I was told I could take the part to my local dealership for testing to find out if it was defective. When I asked if the steering knuckle was deemed defective would they repair it, I got the "out of warranty" line repeated to me.

From what I have located online (from many different sites) this specific problems has occurred many times, and everything I found is in reference to the "front right" side.

I wish someone would force Dodge to step-up and rectify this potential killer!

- , Tennessee Colony, TX, USA

Jun 272011

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving wheel broke off while driving

On June 27, we were traveling down a straight country highway, we were under the speed limit (which is 65 MPH) Three of us were in the front seat, ALL of us had our seltbelts secure and fastened... I am the owner and was seating in the middle. Three of my dogs were in the backseat.... We were just cruising along when all of a sudden we heard a LOUD POP!.... We watched the front passenger wheel go flying across the field to our right! The rod dug into the road and the driver lost control.... the truck flipped over 6 times, the back passenger wheel also popped off, but the metal is twisted, that came off during the rool over.....Both the driver's and my seatbelts came open, I was thrown into the back-seat with the dogs, and the driver was ejected through the driver window. The airbags were on but never deployed but steering wheel is wedged into the front seat. The driver had to be air-lifted to a large hospital, many broken bones and also a ruptured bladder (strong indicator belt was originally fastened!)....

we have had two inspectors look at the truck and a third coming this week.... the front wheel popped off with a clean break (you can see from pictures) (more pictures are available on request). When I look at the truck, I start to shake and THANK GOD that we are all still alive! The crew cab roof goes up to a point...both sides smashed in ..... We have had good luck with the Dodge and had it maintained regular, tires were almost new, but this accident was caused by a manufacturing fault ..... and safety equipment was useless, there is NO EXCUSE for this!

we were BLESSED.... but how many people have been killed because of these belts, etc? Since the accident, I have been searching the WEB and Dodge has had MANY complaints about these belts! How can they get away with this? How can they get away with faulty metal? If this was not a complaint, they would have been proud of the mileage on the truck! This truck was only 8 years old and kept in perfect condition...

What can we do? AND I have payments on it! People put their lives in these company's hands .... this accident was NOT caused by driver error! That would be a differnt story!!! What can we do? ANYTHING ????

- , Nashville, KS, USA