2004 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 262016

Ram 1500

When stationary and no key in the ignition: The electronic automatic door locks disjunction. Sometimes, when the vehicle is not intentionally locked, the doors will lock on their own without a person pressing the lock button on the door or the key fob. At other times, when the door is locked then after returning to the vehicle at a later time, the doors will be unlocked. This happens on a fairly regular basis. This could be a real problem for theft of items in the vehicle. On occasion, when driving the vehicle in motion or stopped with the engine running, with the headlights on and the lights on the dash panel all lit the truck randomly has all the lights turn-off and blink a few times and then, normally, come back on within seconds. This has happened during the evening hours in heavy traffic. This is a huge safety issue that could cause an accident. There is some sort of issue with the electrical system.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Apr 032015

Ram 1500

The dash modual that controls the interior lights, dash lights, and interior signals no longer works. The guages work and the signals work but there are no lights. This poses a safety issue because you cannot see your speed, oil, temp, and battery guages. Im not sure when iy went bad, I got into my truck one night and none of my interior lights worked.

- Lexington, VA, USA

Sep 232014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled, the cruise control failed, and the speedometer failed to function properly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Sep 212015

Ram 1500

Faulty instrument cluster fails, shorts out causing door locks to constantly unlock cycle kill battery & electrical failure causing engine to die. I have read countless stories of others with the same problem in 2004-2005 Dodge Ram pickups. Dealership charges $1000 dollars to fix & admits it is a manufacturing defect but refuses to help. Fiat Chrysler automobiles customer service also refuses to help.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 142015

Ram 1500

Today I went to the Dodge dealership so they could diagnose an electrical problem I was having in my truck. They told me that part # 56045112ae, 56051949ad need to be replaced. Which are the ignition switch and the ignition wire harness. Problems I was having were the power windows would not go up or down without the steering wheel all the way in the up position. The motor blowers for my A/C and heat would sometimes not work. And my air bag light was on in the cluster panel. They told me that the wires were burnt, but could not tell me the source of the problem. I told them that there must be completely too much current going through those wires to cause a problem like that and they agreed. I was then told that because of the wires being in that condition the airbag could possibly go off at any time and/or cause a fire. Why is there not a recall on this issue. When doing some research on the web this is an on going problem with Dodge trucks and Jeep. Also part number 56051949ad has been discontinued so how do they expect to fix these problems. My truck also has the stalling problem when coming to a stop and accelerating.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jul 012015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, that only has 77,965 miles. In the last month it has begin shutting off while driving, with the air on. After traveling for about 10 miles a red light flashes on then the check engine light comes on. When I wait for about a couple of minutes and start my truck back up the red light goes off but the check engine light same on until the next time I drive my truck. I looked up the code for this problem and realized that it was a clogged throttle body. I feel this should not be happened on a truck with less than 100,000 miles, especially when my truck has been in two recall in less than a month apart.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 232015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and the temperature gauge and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle restarted after the brake pedal was depressed several times; however, the failure recurred approximately every 15 miles. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 234,000. Updated 09/03/15

- Blackwell, OK, USA

Mar 252015

Ram 1500

My parking and tail lights stopped working., found out this is due to the design flaw of the engine fuse box as the connectors are exposed to the weather elements, thus shorted out the circuit board that sends the a negative signal to the park lamp relay at 86, . the cost of the repair is $500. Dodge is fully aware of this issue as the replacement now comes with a splash guard plate to help protect the connectors. If you google 2004 Dodge Ram parking light issue, you will see that a lot of us have this very same problem, they should honor this recall as it can be very dangerous to drive at night with out the taillights, .

- Stoughton , MA, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Door lock will only open from inside.

- Sevierville , TN, USA

Jan 312015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Horn sounding for no apparent reason....checked online and found that numerous sites carry information about this issue. Everything from shrunken rubber horn pad to contact inside the horn. Vehicle has never been in frontal collision and bags never deployed. Removed fuse and forgot about it and should have removed relay as other circuits were still open and killed a good closed cell battery. So fuse out, horns disconnected and still looking for relay. Dodge claims no knowledge of issue....bull jive...............

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 142015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

My vehicles running lights stopped working and I was unable to be seen by other drivers behind me in a snow storm because my fuse box just corroded out and stopped working causing the parking lamps relay to fault. Now my vehicle has no running lights working anymore and Dodge did not recall this.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this 2004 Dodge on January 5th 2015. I was to return on January 7th to have different tires & rims installed. On the way I stopped and filled the gas tank. Afterwards every stop sign I came to the vehicle stalled out. It started right back up but continued to stall at every stop sign. The mechanic at redding truck & auto diagnosed that the crank sensor was bad and replaced it at no charge. It ran fine until I filled the gas tank again and started having the same problems with it stalling out. So now if I fill the tank it will stall out until I drive it for several miles or until I run some of the gas out of the tank. I was told not to fill the tank which is not a fix for this problem.

- Shingletown, CA, USA

Nov 282014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The truck stalls out when stopping, turning, or just sitting at light. Have replaced egr, throttle body, PCV, and had PCM updated; but truck is still stalling. Dealer can't find any trouble codes and can't figure out what is causing the problem. Dealer has put in calls to Chrysler star, but no responses yet. From looking on line, I can see that there are many other owners with the same issue. I just know that this is a safety issue, especially when the truck stalls in the middle of a turn in traffic. I can't believe that there is not a fix or a recall on this issue. Yes, this is a slow speed issue; but it is still dangerous. Please help!

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jan 072015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When braking, the vehicle engine stalls as I slow down. The issue was intermittent, but now happens each time I break. I have to pull over with no power steering and restart the vehicle in P or N. sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes before it will let me restart.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 092014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Truck lost all power, throttle lamp blinking. Stalled on roadway, would start but would not give throttle to move the truck. Turned key off then back on a few times and would let me apply throttle for a few seconds, then back to no power. I did this a few times just to get off the roadway. There is no throttle cable so it is a computer control problem.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Dec 082014

Ram 1500

I closed my driver side door and locked it with the key less entry. When I came back to the car key less entry would not open my driver side door and lock is stuck in the down position. The only way to get into the truck on the driver side is to open the back door and reach around from the inside. I have read hundreds of complaints about this, why is there no recall"?"

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jan 132011

Ram 1500

Had just filled gas tank fifteen minutes earlier. Driving on mountain rd. Slowed for curve and engine quit, almost ran into logging truck headon. This has happened several times after fillup. Once while driving 65 mph on freeway. Slowed to let another vehicle in front of me and engine quite as soon as I touched the brakes. When I fill gas tank it usually die at first stop. Does this until I have used up some of the gas. Have asked dealer who sold the truck to me to look into this several times before I get killed. No response. I no longer drive that road just after fill up. Have checked the internet and found that several 1500 Ram owners have had the same problem. It will be like the ignition switch problem. People will have to get killed to get it fixed.

- Mendocino, CA, USA

Oct 182014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Left rear brake light was going out intermittently, the "lamp out" light was illuminating on and off as if the bulb was going between working and not working. Changed the light bulb with the recommended 3057 bulb but it didn't fix the problem. Changed the bulb holder but still didn't fix the issues. Checked the fuse but it was good. Finally went under the rear to check if the wiring harness was loose and saw the wires for the rear lamp was pinched against the frame of the vehicle and the wire for the brake lamp was cut. There was really no give to the wiring harness; it was pulled extremely tight. Vehicle has never had any issues and nothing electrical has ever been touched before. The right tail lamp is working fine but the harness for that side was not checked. All wiring is original from factory. Vehicle was bought new from a Dodge dealership and we have been the only owners. We feel this is a safety concern if the brake lamps are not working all the time.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Aug 052014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle died opened hood to check alternator while hood was open noticed burned wire on alternator harness. Spark ignited portion of valve cover near firewall unable to put out fire vehicle burned totally.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

I found out that I don't have a turn signal for the trailer tow on the left side it was later determined that the problem is in the fuse box. Now I can't tow a trailer until the problem is fixed. This could've caused a wreck.I'm not the only person who has this problem.

- Prairie Du Chien, WI, USA