7.7

2. computer reprogram and EGR valve replacement (4 reports)
  3. replace computer (1 reports)
  4. replace the egr valve and it will be fixed. easy to do (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 052005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

The truck usually stalls at a light. Most of the time I can catch it by watching the RPM's. Every once in a while it will stall while braking, I also noticed it stalls more after refueling and hauling.

- , Brighton, CO, USA

Jun 022012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I was driving the kids to the swimming pool and the truck died at the red light. If anyone would have hit us. Well I am so afraid of what would have happened to all the kids and myself.

- , Mabank, Texas, USA

Oct 212011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I used to love my 04'dodge ,but my patience is gone. The stalling started about a year or two ago.It end up being an egr valve.The problem came back intermittently about 3 weeks ago . I have purchased a Hayes diy manual to fix the problem.Still cant figure out what to replace first.The truck only stalls when in gear stopped .If in neutral nothing happens.When I first start the truck ,and put it into gear it doesn't engage right away.There has only been one code on my truck and it was for the trans nothing else.After that the code has not come back.I changed the air filter every 12000 or so ,cleaned pcv,temp sender,trans filter and fluid ooh and cleaned plenum.Now any time I stop the truck it tries to stall or it does.I have asked a lot of questions about the problem to a lot of people and they say different things on what it could be. I don't have the monetary resources to replace everything to find the problem!

- , Fairlesshills, Pennsylivannia, USA

Oct 132011

Ram 1500 LE 4.6L V8

2004 Dodge 1500 4.6 Engine stalls for no reason can be at a red light or making a turn and it just dies I have been just dealing with it until today my 15 year old son was driving and it happened to him in the middle of traffic and he did not know what to do and we almost had a bad accident so now I'm trying to find out information on what to do or how to fix it. As I read all the complaints I'm not sure where to start. Anyone out there that can help please let me know. Thanks, Billy

- , Albany, Georgia, Georgia

Feb 242011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I bought my 2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7L V8 last fall...since then I've replaced the rack, the recirculating door has stopped working and then was the real pain in the ass. I was driving my truck the other day and noticed when i turned into a driveway my truck just fell on its face.(shut off) Then the check engine light came on. So i took it to advanced auto parts and had them diagnose the check engine light and 3 came up....one was the throttle position sensor and vacuum hose pressure and i forget the other....but you will see shortly that none of these matter...so i replaced all sensors and valves and nothing changed...it would idle like sh*t and run like sh*t and even shut down while driving....so out of ideas i took it to the dodge dealership i got it from....and after about 3 1/2 hours of checking all the wires replacing more sensors we came to the conclusion that the computer was junk....well little did i know until they explained it to me that i have a 8year 80,000 mile warranty on this truck...now the real kicker is i was under my 8 year and when i pulled my truck into the garage my odometer was reading 79,984 !!!!.....talk about getting off by the skin of my teeth so they were forced to pick up the tab for the computer and all labor...even the 3 1/2 hours i spent today at their garage diagnosing the problem...if it wouldn't have been covered i was kicking out 837.00 for the computer and at least 200.00-300.00 for labor....so anyone out there with this happening i would advics going to a dodge garage and have them diagnose it and if it looks like the computer and if there's a warranty do dodge a favor and let them pick up the tab for the new computer and labor. Here's my story. i hope it helps someone else out because if the guys from the dealership wouldn't have told me i would have never knew that this warranty would cover something like that. Also when replacing something like the computer or major parts with your truck spend the little extra money and buy actual dodge parts and not the stuff you get from advanced or napa or wherever you get you discount parts....now I'm not saying normal parts cant be bought there but when buying a computer or something major buy the dodge brand....because I've heard numerous stories of people buying the cheaper computer or water pump....etc....and they have to end up spending a weekend down the road just taking the damn thing back out and you just are kicking yourself in the ass later.

- , Punxsutawney, PA, USA

Dec 232010

Ram 1500 5.7L

As of 12/23/2010 there are only 5 complaints on this issue to the NHSTA, therefore; no recall. Call the NHSTA and file a complaint.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 302010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Bought that piece of sh*t used. Now I know why that bastard got rid of it. He lives near Doylestown, PA and I hope his balls fall off.

After a few fill-ups the engines stalled out at the first stop sign a mile down the road. Keeps running after first stall. Every blue moon though, the engine dies when approaching a red light slowly. My remedy: DON'T FILL UP - What an effing joke!

NEVER AGAIN RAM or any Chrysler product!

- , Medford, NJ, USA

Dec 152010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

my 2004 1500 slt with 5.7 hemi has been a fantastic truck for about 195,000 km. but just lately it has started stalling at idle especially in cold weather.I have removed and cleaned the throttle body and checked the breather pipes and also removed the egr valve which appears to be seized solid.After a lot of web searching i found that this is a big problem on 1500 rams its documented on autobeef and dodge ram forum. This problem has been going on for years and i do not understand the mentality of dodge for not sorting this out. I have also heard that this is also affecting 2010 1500 rams which is crazy. Its no wonder that Toyota trucks are selling so well here in Alberta

- , Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

Dec 162010

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

4.7L V8 - 2004 RAM 1500 - RMPs surge and drop and engine stalls when at idle speed. Had this issue for about 6 months and getting very concerned for my safety at this point. Seems there are a lot of folks having the same problems and no solutions. Not spending money on repairs that won't work. Replaced the IAC valve...didn't help..going to clean the throttle body tonight but I'm sure that won't help either. Searched the web for hours to try and find the solution but there doesn't seem to be one. If I die in an accident make sure my wife and kids sue the f*ck out of Dodge!!!!

- , Cypress, Texas, USA

Dec 172010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

the motor only stalls after i fill the tank up only does it for the first few miles when i stop never while driving doesn't really bother me

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 022010

Ram 1500 Hemi

The truck stalls when idling like all the other posts: happened to me once, daughter twice, son once, wife once. Just took it to dealer (April 2010) and they said problem was with the "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" and replaced the same. I picked up the truck, drove about 3 miles and the truck stalled in the middle of an intersection when turning (motorcycle following me almost hit me in the rear.) I immediately took truck back and the dealer said that the APPS was not calibrated after it was installed earlier in the day! Time will tell if this is the fix. I will report any further stalls on this blog.

- , Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Ram 1500 SEL 5.7L Hemi

I wish I was the only one experiencing the issue that so many others have experienced. Just yesterday while turning onto a two-way street had there been a car waiting to turn I'd popped them right in the drivers door. Just died...AGAIN...no steering and no brakes! Dead, gone, out, over, ended, nothing. Just throw in neutral and start back up. That is if you live through the ordeal.

Guess I'll start with the EGR valve, then the plugs and a fuel injector cleaning. Not sure what else to do. Based on what I read it's another issue that Dodge cars have and THEY will deny existing. Sort of like the 2000 Intrepid I traded off because of engine oil sludge. Thousands of complaints (literally) and they still blamed us, the owners, for not changing the oil. Um, hello? Can't Chrysler make ONE vehicle that doesn't have a MAJOR issue?

Good luck all...Might be time to trade for a Chevy or a Ford!

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 052009

Ram 1500 5.7L

I bought my truck used in 2007 and never had a problem until last month. Now the truck stalls at least once a day and sometimes more. I have a 15 year old daughter that just started driving in May. This is very scary when it happens to me let alone her. I though maybe there was some kind of recall on this problem so I started searching the internet and found none to be listed. Then I found this sight and found that apparently this is an ongoing problem with this truck. When you pay the kind of money that these trucks cost you expect it to be reliable and safe to drive, however it is not! This is very dangerous when it stalls out at lights or as you just start to take off at busy intersections!!! Dodge really needs to do something about this before someone gets killed! It makes me want to tell them come pick it up because it's not safe to drive and put my money somewhere else!

- , Weirsdale, Florida, USA

Jun 052009

Ram 1500 Limited V6

This truck has been stalling at major intersections putting me in dangerous situations. It has been looked at, but nothing found.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 082009

Ram 1500 5.7L

Holly, I'm having the problem currently, EGR was replaced ran good for a week, then started to act up. Throttle body was replaced ran good for two weeks. Engine turned up when check engine light camel on (miss fire in cylinder 6). Ran good for two hours. The cost so far is approximately 900.00. $300 for each trip to the shop. Bought the truck used in july of 07 I love the truck but if this problem is not solve soon it will be sent down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

DODGE WORST TRUCKS EVER i bought my 04 ram 2-years ago and it stalled pulling out of the dealer so i pulled back in they could not duplicate the problem so i went home i've had the same problem since 04. trucks been in the shop 13 times for numerous problems glad i bought the extended warranty THE RAM 1500 IS CRAP BE AWARE

- , North Royalton, Ohio, USA

Nov 282008

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L Hemi

Engine stalls when coming to a stop. Only happens when braking. Happened after a fill up at a gas station. Only 25000 miles and it just started. No check engine light comes on computer diagnostic shows no faults.

- , Nuevo, CA, USA

Aug 312008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

replaced the EGR valve. Took 30 minutes to do, and pulled the positive cable off the battery. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then reconnected the battery, started the truck, and let it idle for 5 minutes. Has been fixed for 4 months now. No more problems. Paid 50 bucks for the new EGR valve from a parts store. Dodge will try to charge you 180 bucks. Dont pay it.

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

MY ENGINE STALLS TOO. IF YOU GET A GOOD LEMON LAW ATTORNEY BEFORE YOUR MILES GET TOO HIGH YOU SHOULD WIN YOUR CASE. YOU COULD GET OVER 100,OOO DOLLARS. KEEP YOUR INVOICES AND ALL VEHICLE PAPERWORK. GET AN ATTORNEY. I WON MY CASE, BUT MY MILES WERE TOO HIGH. 80,000. BUT I STILL TOOK HOME OVER 5,000 BUCKS. LEAVE ME A COMMENT IF YOU NEED HELP. NEVER GIVE UP

- , Lynwood, CA, USA

Jan 242008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I walked in my local dealer office, at 7:30 am, I brought it in for a stall issue at idle speed, coming to light or stop signs. They looked at it and could not duplicate. It only happens in the 20 F or below mornings. I tried Dry gas, higher octane fuel and different service fueling stations. Still every time 20 F and I have a car starter, which I run for about 10 mins every winter morning. I had the service call me and told me nothing wrong, I would have to leave it. I agreed to. But, what are they going to do differently. Note it stalls. They check for errors on the computer and shows none.

The best part is a guy came in 5 min after I did and he has a 2007 1500 5.7 l hemmi, and he has the same issue and they told him same thing. We both have the same issue , but nothings wrong. Thanks Dodge.

This is my 5th dodge truck and I will buy a Nissan or Toyata next. I am all for buying US but with repairs costing so much and gas prices so high.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA