2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 072016

Ram 1500

An electrical fire started under hood of vehicle. No signs of anything being wrong before the fire and vehicle had been parked and sitting in driveway for at least 24 hours before fire was seen and reported to police and fire dept. Nobody was home when this happened.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning. Shortly before the failure, the tail lights failed to illuminate properly. The tail lights would illuminate off and on periodically. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuse box failed and needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Sodus, NY, USA

May 162016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving various speeds under 20 mph, the rpms dropped below one and the vehicle stalled. In addition, the steering failed and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle restarted on the first attempt, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 89,040.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Aug 042016

Ram 1500

My 05 Dodge Ram has been stalling in traffic at low speeds regularly of late. It also happened recently while parked for the first time. It ocasionally (1 failure out of 7) gives an error code and check engine light which reads as a bad crank shaft position sensor. I have put 3 on in the last 2 years. It started as intermitent and has become a steady issue. Truck has never run hot, no noises from engine to indicate a bad bearing or mis alignement. Wheel teeth are not broken or worn and there is not buildup of flakes or shavings anywhere that would be causing a fualty signal. Wiring rings out as good. Replacing the sensor was allowing normal operation for a short period but it is re-occuring at a faster rate each time. Truck does, so far, continue to resart almost imediately but still presents considerable risk in heavy traffic conditions. This was looked at previously and tsb 18-013-05 was released as a "fix." It has not been a successful fix as the issues continue to re-occur with what apears to be a fairly alarming rate. Truck currently has 160,750 miles on it. The last 3 sensors were installed in 2 years and less than 20,000 miles.

- Fort Rucker, AL, USA

Jul 052016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 40 mph, smoke appeared from the engine compartment into the cabin. The contact merged the vehicle to the shoulder of the road. The fire department was notified; however, the fire was extinguished by a state highway employee. A fire report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be inspected. The contact was informed that the firewall insulation under the hood of the vehicle had separated and fell onto the exhaust system, which caused the engine compartment fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Mc Connellsburg, PA, USA

Oct 292015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred multiple times. While attempting to start the ignition, the vehicle smoked and failed to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where it was diagnosed that the crank shaft sensor, heat sensor, oil pressure gauge, and motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Pinetop, AZ, USA

Apr 192016

Ram 1500

The truck is falling apart. The welds are coming apart & the whole body is rotting faster than I can fix it. I will not be able to get another inspection sticker. I have replaced the transfer case, water pump, serpentine belt & pulleys, rear drive shaft, upper & lower ball joints, tyrods and the whole brake system. The truck needs to be recalled.

- West Newfield, ME, USA

Dec 062006

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, no trouble codes were detected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Dec 062006

Ram 1500

This was my fathers truck. I was out of the country when he purchased it. Upon his death, I began driving the truck. It was still brand new, by approximately 7 months. In one instance I was driving in saticoy, South on the 118 before going over the bridge. As I got a yellow light, I slowed down and the truck eventually stalled and had no ability to steer. I was in the truck, with my mother, at an intersection and had to immediately restart the vehicle because our lives were in danger due to traffic. Upon restarting the vehicle, I resumed to my destination. On another occasion I arrived to who is now my sister in laws house, located in simon way. In that evening it was my turn to drive to oxnard college. As I pulled out of her driveway, the truck again stalled. I had to restart it again and decided that we would go to school in her vehicle. These two incidences are just a couple of many bad early on experiences with the 2005 Dodge Ram truck I had and would go to you guys and complain, and you guys never did anything about it because nothing ever resulted in your diagnostic and would happen to you guys when on one occasion the vehicle was in your possession. Attached see exhibit 1 which shows of a vehicle rental on 12/06/06 when the Dodge truck was in your possession. I precisely recall why I had the stratus rental and it was because crown Dodge had my truck, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Crown Dodge was billed for the rental. Well, crown Dodge inspected the truck, but the problem continued. Exhibit 2 demonstrates another time that I complained because of the same problem with the vehicle. To date, the Dodge Ram truck 1500 continues to stall. My husband uses this vehicle to drive to work. At times he uses this vehicle to take our children out and I am always concerned because of this.

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at various speeds, the cabin filled up with smoke and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine had a hole in it that caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Mar 172016

Ram 1500

The truck stalls when slowing for a stop or idling around a corner. That is a safety issue because the steering and brakes are locked up at that point. Whether it's idling in a traffic jam, coming to a stop, or idling around the corner, you will suddenly have no power but everything else is on. Not the engine and it was so smooth that you don't notice until you can't brake or steer. There are hundreds of people with this year make and model that are having the same problem. I understand there was an investigation but it was closed without resolution. Case number EA05018. This is a growing problem and we the people are spending hundreds of dollars to replace parts that are just part of a trouble shooting issue and most of us still have the problem. And it's the same for all of us. Please relook at this problem. If I were the only one I could understand but I am not. We love our trucks but this is a serious problem. Last night I was in a double turn intersection when it shut off. Thankful I was in the outer lane and hit the median and not another car. If you read on car complaints.com under 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 stalls/shuts down while driving, you will see that this is a serious problem and there are loads of people. They think the repair fixes but it does not and the issue does not happen all the time. It started occasionally but now it's almost daily and multiple times a day. Please please help! this started in 2009 when we bought the truck and has progressively gotten worse. Not sure if previous owner had issue but it may be why it was traded in.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Jun 082015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph, the front passenger side wheel seized. In addition, the driveshaft detached completely. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the water pump and front passenger side driveshaft were replaced. The contact was uncertain of the repair part that was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Lima, OH, USA

Feb 232016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V796000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. While driving in the rain, the back-up lights filled up with water and failed to illuminate. The contact replaced the exterior lighting; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. When attempting to drive the vehicle in reverse and turning the steering wheel, the vehicle would stall. The contact would have to restart the vehicle in order to complete the desired movement. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Oct 302015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that after driving the vehicle for ten miles and then parking, it began to leak a large amount of engine oil. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, however specific details of the diagnosis was not provided. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Winona, MS, USA

Nov 062015

Ram 1500

My 2005 Dodge Ram srt-10 viper truck engine stalls/shuts down without warning, no codes, no errorlights while driving...I have a problem with my truck stalling out when parking or going through slow turns. In the middle of an intersection¿while an emergency vehicle was approaching, it died and I slowly drifted over to an adjacent curve.. the most recent was on 11/06/15, but it has happened at least 5 times over the past 5 months. All lights and the radio remain on and it starts right back up, however my steering and brakes lock up which is a huge safety concern. When the steering wheel is turned my rpms drop dramatically and it sounds like the truck wants to stall. Started surging and stalling so in it went in again, this time they replaced the iac module...and then they thought it might be the fuel pump'so they tested the fuel rail and claim that it was losing 5% of its torque¿but not to be concerned¿then they thought it might be the map sensor¿but no !...again with no indication, no error lights; and no codes¿ ¿ and the dealership mechanics still can not get it to run without shutting off once you step on the accelerator it dies¿ to dealer for checkup. Could not and can not find the problem. And they charged me $967 why can¿T Fiat-Chrysler save face when they know a part problem exists and just fix it right without ripping off customers ? the mopar mechanics have had my truck since November 6th, 2015, (over two months ) and still can not figure out what is wrong with it¿.. ¿they want me to pay more money while they explore different options they claim that the Fiat-Chrysler coprporation engineers want them to try¿ ¿really..ss you are asking the consumer/customer to fund the education of your mechanics¿Fiat-Chrysler really "???" please recall these trucks before some-one or some-family gets killed please..please !!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 022015

Ram 1500

I bought this truck in 2014 from the family of the original owner who was deceased. It now has about 116,000 miles. The engine stalls unexpectedly and randomly at slow speeds, often while turning on curves or at intersections, but not always. I have made all repairs recommended by Dodge and other mechanics, but it still stalls. The Dodge people say they have never seen or heard of this problem, but the internet is full of accounts of very similar situations.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Nov 192015

Ram 1500

Blew a rod and rear axle broke

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 312015

Ram 1500

The engine stall which appears you have investigated is concerning for me. Multiple times I have been make a R turn and had the engine "die" in deceleration through the turn resulting in the truck losing power steering and electrical components of the truck. The recent incident almost resulted in me striking a motorcycle waiting in the L hand turn lane for the traffic signal. The engine has stalled in several other turn situations causing me to be restarting at stand still in traffic. I feel this has proven to be a safety concern and not just a inconvenience.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Sep 022015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While starting the vehicle, the engine warning indicator illuminated continuously. In addition, the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V796000 (power train); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 022015

Ram 1500

Purchased the truck new in 2005. Wife was driving to store when engine shut off. She turn around and drove 1.5 mile back to house and parked truck. Truck had plenty oil, but was leaking oil from passenger side valve cover had a small hole. Pulled covers, both heads and found head cast had broke off on passenger side. This caused hole in valve cover. Bottom of both head casting had damage to valve seal which should be pressed into place. Three of the seal pop out about 1/4 inch. And one of the seal on driver side head casting cracked cylinder head. This should not happen. I never seen this type of damage to headers. I think the casting if flawed. Before taking the valve covers of, I thought if I get another valve cover might be ok. So I searched for a valve cover. I called two Dodge dealer part department. Withnell Dodge in salem and mark thomas motors in albany Oregon. Both dealer parts department told me they had over 60 back orders for this valve cover. That's over 120 back order for valve covers. I suspect other truck owners thought all they needed was to replace the valve cover and that should fix their problem. I also suspect the flaw in the header cast is the problem and is causing a chain reaction to occur when parts of the casting break off, hit the valve cover, which can cause the truck to overheat, and result in damage to cylinder head, rings, and header, all because the head casting was molded with an inherited flaw. Nothing make sense as to why truck had problem with header, except bad cast for header. I hope your organization can do something about this matter. I put less than 15,000 miles per year on this truck, and I should be enjoying this truck for trouble free. With Dodge history of failure to notify vehicle owner about inherited problems with past, I do not expect Dodge to take responsibility for what I have experienced.

- Dallas, OR, USA