2006 Dodge Ram 1500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 302014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have experienced the Dodge death wobble, a violent shaking, a sudden pulling to the left, then a sudden sharp pulling to the right, with not being able to control by steering, all the while the steering wheel is still violently shaking and with hard braking my vehicle came to a stop with two wheels off of the road in the ditch. I took the pickup in to be checked right away with no real signs of why and decided to replace two of the tie rod ends. The vehicle drove ok for a short time and the death wobble started again, this time not as bad, but very often, like at least 100 times in the last month. As I have spent many hours researching this problem, it seams that 1,000's and 1000's of Dodge 2500 series pickup have this problem which as lead to tie rods breaking. I have not heard of any deaths yet, but does someone have to die before this becomes a safty recall.

- Cherokee, IA, USA

Jan 162014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

At highway speeds of 70 mph, hitting a bump at highway speeds sends the truck into violent almost uncontrollable bouncing with the only way to settle the truck down is to slam on the brakes reducing the speed in highway traffic to 40 mph. The truck bounces violently and tracks into other lanes. No solution from dealer, I have owned this truck since new, well maintained. But repeated front end replacements and repairs, some recalls, some at my expense. This is being epidemic.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 022014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When you turn tight you feel and hear vibrations something does not feel right.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jan 032014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While backing up, the ball on the front left tie rod end completely disengaged, leaving no control of the wheel assembly.upon inspection, both front tie rod ends exhibited looseness in the ball joints.

- Sioux Rapids, IA, USA

Dec 092013

Ram 1500

The bushings are bad in the truck. Cause shaking while breaking, uneven tread wear on tires, and truck never has a good alignment. Also trying to replace them, the bushings are seized to the bolts. Needing a torch or grinder to remove. Very bad design that needs to be noticed and fixed.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My Dodge truck is becoming unsafe to drive. I bought new tires, had alignments for my steering done, balance of tires, rotation of tires, new brakes, new shocks, and now I have to take it to the dealer to get a known "concern" taken care of and pay out of my pocket once again. I have spent over $2,500 dollars of my own money trying to fix a known "concern" that Chrysler knows about. Now I have to take it to the dealer and pay $70 just to get it looked at, and then pay for whatever fix Chrysler has to do. Why is this happening and not getting fixed?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 032013

Ram 1500

Traveling 50 to 70 miles an hour and applying the brakes truck shakes from side to side (death wobble). Replaced brake pads, rotors, and spindles but problem persists.

- Kilgore, TX, USA

Jul 192013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, a humming noise emitted from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the hub assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000. Updated 12/30/14 updated 05/27/2015

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Apr 292013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the front driver's side of the vehicle exhibited a very loud, abnormal noise. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was advised that the hub assembly needed to replaced. The contact spoke with the manufacturer in regard to NHTSA campaign id number: 07V038000 (suspension) for the hub assembly and bearing nut, but was told that the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The failure and the current mileages were 52,456.

- South Hampton , PA, USA

Feb 232013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While traveling on interstate at ~ 65 mph, I hit a series of bumps that caused the front suspension to shake violently. This only subsided after slowing to < 35 mph and (fortunately) avoiding a crash. After doing some research, this is consistent with "death wobble". I am amazed that there is not a recall regarding this issue. I had new ball joints and tie rod ends installed ~ 6 months ago.

- Bridgeport, WV, USA

Oct 122012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while taveling 50 mph the driver side front wheel detached from the vehicle. The contact stated the everything came off and all that could be seen was the axle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for repair. The dealer stated that the control arm, tie rod, caliber, rotors and bearings among other parts needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage and current mileage was 82,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 052011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Hi, well I begin as a guy who loves trucks we bought a Dodge Ram 06' 1500 mega cab heavy duty, now the mega cabs R 1500's on a 2500 hd chassis. My Dodge Ram started doing the death wobble about 1year ago give or take. I have replaced the pitman arm and the tie rods and no difference. I am begging to think this is a factory issue because I hear cases by the dozen on youtube and people do not seem to know what the issue is. My family & I have almost been in numerous accidents luckily god was watching over us. I recently got into a pretty horrible death wobble in my truck, it was so intense that my muffler ripped right off the truck. If Chrysler is saying that is not a recall that we have fix it our selves, well that's crap because obviously it looks like a defective part in my truck. My truck is dangerous to be driving like that and I hope this becomes a recall because its not just me it's a couple hundred, who knows now how many. Thank you for your time.

- National City Ca 91950, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

There is a (tsb 02-001-07 rev. A) that calls out a shudder, braking, shimmer... blah blah blah... on level ground and certain speeds. My issue is not on level ground, my problem exist on decline of 7% when the brake is applied very slightly the front brakes or front suspension shudders, and shakes so violently that the entire truck and the steering wheel is out of control, if you grab to tight on the steering wheel you may over correct your steering and eventually could cause you to overturn your vehicle. There is no excuse for this, I have had my rotors changed, brakes changed, tires balanced, and rotated but the problem still exists. I am telling you that this is a very dangerous situation for anyone to be in. I would love to take the owner of the Dodge co. And his family for a ride. I will almost guarantee that something would get done about this issue. Rotors should last for more than 6 months, but the truck is violently out of control and too dangerous for me to allow my wife or other family members to drive this vehicle until it is fixed or I sell it. Once I sell it I will not purchase another Dodge product again, I am tired of wasting my time and money on this issue. I am tired of the dealerships giving me the run around and oh it's your rotor are quote "warped" un-quote is how it is documented on my paperwork..

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Dec 122011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Started hearing a low howling noise in my front end when going around curves in the road, it progressively got louder after a couple weeks to a grinding sound, took it to the dealer where I bought it performance Dodge, woodbury, NJ. They stated that both front wheel bearings were bad. I told the service manager that I heard there was a recall on my year model for that very reason, he stated that he never heard of it, I informed him of the reason for the recall, and his answer was that my truck was 6 years old and those things wear out. I said are you crazy the truck has only 38000 miles on it, his answer was it was a good thing I purchased a extened sevice contract. It cost me $107 deductable.I called Chrysler and was told there was no recall on my truck.this was my first Chrysler product and if this is how they stand behind there product, when they were aware that there was a problem at the factory it will be my last. My truck should have been part of that recall, just like many others that were not.I will be trading it in for a Ford next year. Now I know why the govt. Had to bail Chrysler out so many times.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Nov 012011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact heard a loud grinding noise coming from the front passenger side wheel bearing while driving. In addition, when activating the right turn signal, the left turn signal would illuminate and when she activated the left turn signal, the right turn signal would illuminate. Sporadically, both turn signals would become inoperable. The dealer advised the contact that her VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 07V038000 (suspension:front:wheel bearing ) and offered no further assistance. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were performed nor was the vehicle diagnosed for the failure. The current and the failure mileages were 69,579.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Mar 252011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The contact was driving 40 mph when the vehicle started to vibrate and a clunking noise emitted from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that both front driver and passenger side wheel bearings needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that the VIN did not qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 07V038000 (suspension:front:wheel bearing ). the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 43,966 and the current mileage was 65,453.

- Goreville, IL, USA

Aug 222011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph there was a humming sound and a vibration in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated the front wheel bearing suspension unit had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 022011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated the front left tire separated from the vehicle due to the hub assembly and wheel bearing. While driving 5 mph the tire snapped off and rolled underneath the truck. The mechanic inspected the vehicle and informed her due to the lack of grease on the wheel bearing it caused the hub assembly to pop the wheel off. The manufacturer was contacted and informed her that NHTSA campaign id number: 07V038000; suspension: Front: Wheel bearing recall does not include her VIN. The manufacturer offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 08/31/11 updated 2/9/2012

- Midway Park, NC, USA

Oct 132010

Ram 1500

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 currently has 63,000 miles. Has had the front struts replaced 3 times, motor was replaced, transmission has been replaced, rack and pinion has been replaced, ball joints have been replaced countless times, tie rods have been replaced, wheel bearings have been replaced approx a yr ago and are defective again. Currently waiting for them since there on nationwide back order the dealership claims. All of these have been under warranty. But I have spent countless $$$ on tires and having to rent a vehicle while this on is in the garage constantly.

- Springville, PA, USA

Sep 182010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was traveling 75 mph when the contact noticed that the vehicle suddenly began to vibrate abnormally and sway from left to right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact had the tires balanced and rotated. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the contact was informed that the tie rod, suspension bar and steering damper would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 70,000 and the failure mileage was 69,000.

- Hickory, NC, USA