2008 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 152016

Ram 1500

Intermittent shut down at any time. Crank position sensor wire shorting out against engine block. Poor design, wire should be enclosed in such away there is no chance of this occurring.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 262015

Ram 1500

In September 2015 my truck engine shut off on I-20 w after a hard brake at highway speed while approaching a trailer with a wide load on a bridge overpass. I was the lead vehicle and had the left lane momentarily blocked until I could restart the engine. After shifting to park, it took two attempts to restart the engine. Then, in December 2015 the exact same thing happened in the city after a moderate stop at a red light, again holding up traffic until the engine was restarted. After traveling about one tenth mile the engine quit again as I was approaching a red light. The first instance was a hard break situation to prevent an accident but the second two shutdowns happened with light breaking when approaching a red light. When the engine had to be restarted, it required a couple of attempts before it would engage and then ran rough for a short time before smoothing out. Each instance was while I was driving in a straight line. The first time at highway speed of 70mph and the last two at 30 or 40 city mph. I have not had a problem with this since the last time but I have been extremely careful to lightly apply the brakes when possible. I read on the internet that I am not the only one that has had this problem so that prompted me to file this report. I feel the problem is associated with a engine electronic control of some sort or other. The engine is the veriable 5.7L hemi. My wife has been so upset with this happening, she refuses to ride in my truck anymore. I have not reported this problem, mostly because I have been in the market for a new truck. But, I don't want to trade until I find out if this problem is subject to a recall. This all happened after I had my truck serviced for the air bag recall.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 212015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the tipm system malfunctioned causing the instrument cluster to illuminate and flash intermittently. The vehicle was diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 102015

Ram 1500

The truck has less than 30,000 miles and needs a new tipm per Dodge dealership diagnostics. Every light on the dash will flash and the gauges become disabled. Sometimes it is continuous sometimes it's only for a few seconds. The cargo lights will come on in the middle of the night and will drain the battery. The gauge lights come on when sitting in park, while driving and even when the truck hasn't been in use. Random electrical functions will blink.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 102011

Ram 1500

Both left and right tie rods failed at 3 years old and 4 years old and we replaced them out of pocket. All 4 O2 sensors failed at 5 years old but dealer failed to diagnose this correctly while the truck was still under warranty and we had to replace these and the PCM, which burnt out because of the defective O2 sensors, after the truck was not under warranty any more. The airbags are defective and Chrysler does not have the parts to fix it and we can't sell the vehicle as it is. Chrysler states it is not part of the buyback and now we are stuck with an unsafe vehicle that we can't sell.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Aug 152015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. Upon turning the vehicle to the off position and removing the key, the engine continued to run. The contact removed the battery cables, but the engine still continued to run. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 215,845. Updated 02/26/16

- Strawplains, TN, USA

Jun 052013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 35 to 40 mph, when the vehicle veered left or right, the steering wheel was difficult to turn and the RPM level decreased. The engine felt as if it would seize. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the Dodge dealer and was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Aug 282015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 20 mph, the turn signals, brakes, and tails lights failed. In addition, the contact stated that the wheel hubs failed causing the vehicle to shake. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10E040000 (wheels). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 292015

Ram 1500

The key easily disengages from the "run" position and cuts off the engine, causing loss of steering and control. This can even occur if the key is accidentally bumped by your knee. This is identical to the reported affects of the NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000. My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 is not listed in that notice. This is a very dangerous issue, and doing an internet search there are other owners that have reported the same issue.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 052015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving various speeds on uneven roadways and train tracks, the vehicle would stall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 7/21/15

- Tampa , FL, USA

Apr 142015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I just purchased this vehicle and within a week the key wouldn't go into the ignition and once in wouldn't come back out. The vehicle shuts off randomly locking the power steering and brakes. My right turn signal now doesn't go off and when I try to put it off my self the left turn signal activates! this went on back and forth a good eight times before both shut off. My front headlights (mostly right but cannot really see the left while driving) the lights shakes and bounces when I go over anything uneven. Upon coming to a sudden stop the truck pulled hard to the right causing me to swerve into the grass. This vehicle just doesn't drive right. The whole front end seems loose. I cannot drive over 50 or the rear end comes off the ground when I brake to make my turn. I'm taking it to the dealer this evening. My dealer 30 day warranty expires tomorrow. The 3 year 36000 manufacturer warranty is up since three years are gone - although the vehicle only has 31864 miles now. I cannot afford to make repairs while still financed. I'm a single mother of four and always have my four year old in the truck. It's to the point I no longer trust driving this truck.

- Glendora, NJ, USA

Mar 042015

Ram 1500

Truck has had multiple incidents of stalling and shutting off with no advance warning or notice. I come to a stop or turn and the engine shuts off. Power steering is lost and even though it starts right back up when put on neutral it has started to worry me to the point where I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle for fear this may happen on the highway. I've had throttle work done and wires replaced but it continues to do the same thing and no codes appear as to what may be causing this problem. The dealer also cannot tell me the reason why this is happening.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 252015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

My wife and 2 kids (4yr and 6yr) were driving over railroad tracks at about 25 miles per hour when suddenly the car turned off. Power steering and brakes were suddenly no longer available and my wife steered in the middle of an intersection before she came to a halt. Luckily nothing happened. She switched the transmission into P, the car started flawlessly and she parked it to call her mom to pick her up. I then got to the car and wondering what might have happened. Reading about ignition locks causing this symptom, I lightly tugged on the ignition key while idling. The car turned off easily. Knowing my wife puts whichever car key she needs on her key chain, I suspected that this may have been the problem. I tried it out and -sure enough- repeated the event. She normally drives her 2013 Jeep Wrangler which has the identical type of ignition switch. This one however does not turn off the car when one pulls on the key while the car is idling in gear. I was surprised when I did not find a lot on issues with Dodge ignition switches and would never describe this occurrence on a 7 year old car, if it hadn't been so terrifying. Never did I feel so unprotected! losing power and becoming a widower is really just one small tug away.... thought I shared.... ps: Of course I will get a new ignition switch.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Jan 292015

Ram 1500

The contact owned a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 40 mph, smoke was visible from the floor and vents. The contact pulled the vehicle to the side of the road and exited the vehicle. The fire was visible from the front driver side wheel area. There were no injuries reported and a police and a fire report were filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 158,000.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

During the 5yr inspection was told the lt wheel hub assembly needed replaced due to bearings worn with appx 50000 miles electrical/engine; when driving going over rough surface, bump or rxr tracks the jarring can cause the truck to loose power shutting down all pwr steering and brakes this has happened on multi occasions. When trying to duplicate unable to cause shutdown.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 112014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Nov 242014

Ram 1500

Multifunction switch is malfunctioning, left turn signal activates right signal. Wipers only work when right turn signal activated.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Oct 312010

Ram 1500

Back in approximately October of 2010 my daughter (18 years old) was driving my 2008 Ram 1500 pickup, when making a right turn the engine shut off. She was able to put it in neutral and restart the vehicle and proceed on her way. This happened a few more times until she told me about it. I noticed she had a small purse type device that holds her license, credit cards & change attached to the key fob. I believe the weight of this purse caused the purse to shut the ignition off. I instructed her not to put anything on the key fob and the problem has not recurred. You may want to see if there are the same complaints by other Ram owners and have Chrysler send a mailer out not to have anything attached to their key fobs.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Oct 052014

Ram 1500

I was driving with my 4 kids in the truck. Problem started with my speedometer fluctuating while on the interstate going 65mph then suddenly fell to 0 and stayed there. I then started to smell a foul smell resembling natural gas. My ABS light, E brake light and engine light came on. Took nearest exit and pulled over to see what was wrong. Turned truck off then back on and all lights went away but speedo still not working. Continued driving to get it home then the truck started surging when I would let off the gas but would go away when I pressed the gas. Decided I needed to pull over again. I proceeded to the turning lane going 35pmh when all of sudden the rear end locked up and started fishtailing and spinning till it came to a stop. Luckily cars around me swerved around me to prevent from getting hit. Rear axle is leaking fluid and really bad smell. Had to get a flat bed to pull it on and off and unloaded at my house. Thankfully myself and my kids are safe. Unfortunately my 2008 Ram 1500 quad cab does not fall under the 2009-2012 recall with the same pinion retaining nut backing out due to no loctite "adhesive" causing it to lock up. All I was told by Chrysler was to save any repair receipts in the event the recall gets expanded. My local Dodge dealer wants me to tow my truck and charge me $101.89 just to diagnose it just to tell me it's the rear pinion locking nut :/ but they were sure to let me know of the windshield wiper motor that was under recall that I should get fixed....I think this is a bit more important than a wiper motor. NHTSA campaign # 13V038000/expansion recall # 12V-474/Chrysler campaign N08 states Dodge Ram manufactured between February 2008 to June 2009 fell under the recall though my truck was manufactured July 2008 yet it doesn't apply"??"!

- Crestview, FL, USA

May 062014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while activating the left turn signal, the right turn signal activated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 41,000.

- Blake Havasu, AZ, USA